• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 7 P.T is the epitome of what new REs should be.

Should RE go in this direction, or stick to current arcady trend?

• Current "Arcady?" Direction

• RE P.T

Results are only viewable after voting.

BeatTheGG

The true last hope.
Imagine if you will (for those that have played P.T.) entering the first door, gun holstered, creeping around the place in a cautious and alert shuffle. Only taking out your weapon when you need it more of a toggle like the first resident evils had. Adding more melee elements and having the ability to use more of your local surroundings to aid you (cracking vases on zombie heads, throwing chairs, lifting up tables to add space between you and your enemy, really making the game about survival not putting ammo caches and enemies dropping bullets randomly. I think a game like that would be what the resident evil series needs. At that point they really wouldn't need abstract over the top enemies to face....the straight horror of zombies and zombie dogs alone would become a fight for life. You could create a much more immersive story that way also I believe.
Now that would be interesting.

I've always thought about how RE would implement the environment for survival purposes. The game I've sort of created in my head has this idea of running out of bullets and having to resort to picking up something like, an old stereo or television set for a quick make or break scenario. It's something that can't be inventoried and will break once used. You have the option of waiting for the zombie to close in so you have a sure fire way of cracking it over its head, yet you run the risk of it biting you first -which is a high possibility since it would probably have a delayed response from the sheer weight- and you missing that opportunity forever because once it falls, it brakes. Or you could wait until it's within throwing range and chuck that sucker at em. This would have an even bigger delay since it takes a lot of energy to chuck something that heavy.

Capcomplicated

The Lousy Architect
Premium

I've always thought about how RE would implement the environment for survival purposes. The game I've sort of created in my head has this idea of running out of bullets and having to resort to picking up something like, an old stereo or television set for a quick make or break scenario. It's something that can't be inventoried and will break once used. You have the option of waiting for the zombie to close in so you have a sure fire way of cracking it over its head, yet you run the risk of it biting you first -which is a high possibility since it would probably have a delayed response from the sheer weight- and you missing that opportunity forever because once it falls, it brakes. Or you could wait until it's within throwing range and chuck that sucker at em. This would have an even bigger delay since it takes a lot of energy to chuck something that heavy.
I love this idea. The only problem I see with it is the general mechanics of local items and how they play into the game world. I would assume it would be difficult to set parameters on items like this throughout the entirety of the game (throw, smash on ground ((if miss)), zombie A reaction, zombie A action following new information, use as divider, implement weight time difference between items) I would want all of these things to take into account....and I feel like they wouldn't do it.

I would love to find myself in a situation where if I run out of bullets I can still knock over a table run to another side of a room pick up a monitor or pot or something and subdue an enemy using a kill screen when appropriately taken down. (like having a hunting knife to finish them off) ....OR....use the surroundings to get away from the enemy.

BeatTheGG

The true last hope.
I love this idea. The only problem I see with it is the general mechanics of local items and how they play into the game world. I would assume it would be difficult to set parameters on items like this throughout the entirety of the game (throw, smash on ground ((if miss)), zombie A reaction, zombie A action following new information, use as divider, implement weight time difference between items) I would want all of these things to take into account....and I feel like they wouldn't do it.

I would love to find myself in a situation where if I run out of bullets I can still knock over a table run to another side of a room pick up a monitor or pot or something and subdue an enemy using a kill screen when appropriately taken down. (like having a hunting knife to finish them off) ....OR....use the surroundings to get away from the enemy.
You make a fair point. There are a lot of things to consider. I guess it would take someone with skill to perfect something of the like. I kind of wanted to simplify it a bit and break them into categories and enemy responses. I also love your idea of knocking things over to get some distance between you and the zombie. My actually in the misdts of getting my RE fan game ideas down in a different topic. I'd be happy to message you when I'm done so you can send me some feedback :)

Capcomplicated

The Lousy Architect
Premium
You make a fair point. There are a lot of things to consider. I guess it would take someone with skill to perfect something of the like. I kind of wanted to simplify it a bit and break them into categories and enemy responses. I also love your idea of knocking things over to get some distance between you and the zombie. My actually in the misdts of getting my RE fan game ideas down in a different topic. I'd be happy to message you when I'm done so you can send me some feedback :)
Absolutely I'd love to.

JHJ

"Doth Mother Know You Weareth Her Drapes?"

It's a good idea, in theory. However, it's been tried before. Ubisoft attempted to do exactly what you described with Splinter Cell Conviction (You may remember the "Hobo Sam" look that Fisher had at the time). They were going to have a system in place, which they dubbed "Social Stealth", where, if you were being pursued, you could blend into a crowd (this part of the system eventually found its way into the Assassin's Creed games). If you were caught, you would have been able to use the environment itself as a weapon. Tables, chairs, food trays, cups, microwaves, TVs, phones, pictures, books, the list goes on. The only reason that Ubisoft scrapped the idea was that they were finding it impossible to get the system to actually work. There were just too many things for the system to handle, and the game kept crashing.
Now, admittedly, this happened on the last generation of consoles, so maybe if Capcom were to try it now, they might have a better chance of succeeding where Ubisoft failed. The likelihood of them doing so is slim, though. They have a system that they're happy with, and it'll take a lot for them to consider changing it.

BeatTheGG

The true last hope.
It's a good idea, in theory. However, it's been tried before. Ubisoft attempted to do exactly what you described with Splinter Cell Conviction (You may remember the "Hobo Sam" look that Fisher had at the time). They were going to have a system in place, which they dubbed "Social Stealth", where, if you were being pursued, you could blend into a crowd (this part of the system eventually found its way into the Assassin's Creed games). If you were caught, you would have been able to use the environment itself as a weapon. Tables, chairs, food trays, cups, microwaves, TVs, phones, pictures, books, the list goes on. The only reason that Ubisoft scrapped the idea was that they were finding it impossible to get the system to actually work. There were just too many things for the system to handle, and the game kept crashing.
Now, admittedly, this happened on the last generation of consoles, so maybe if Capcom were to try it now, they might have a better chance of succeeding where Ubisoft failed. The likelihood of them doing so is slim, though. They have a system that they're happy with, and it'll take a lot for them to consider changing it.

Yikes! You make very valid points actually >_< Actually now that you bring it up I do recall what a mess it seemingly was turning into. Kind of sounds like they were aiming to built the entirety of the game around it though while I'd make mine less extravagant. If memory serves Silent Hill Origins did the whole picking up and throwing random objects without a hitch and that game also managed to give each item its own weight behind them. Granted I'm not a fan of any of the post 4 SH games but I'm sure you get my point lol. I guess I'd probably narrow it down to fewer items as possible in random locations stretched on the map. Since you'd still have fire arms, I'd mainly focus on making rather flimsy or unconventional items for melee only. However the environmental interaction I could see being very difficult and I hadn't, admittedly, thought much of it through.

Now keep in mind that all of these ideas are something of a fan game I came up with when I was about 15 or so. That was about 8 years ago. Of course at this point I'd never expect Capcom to actually take risks this big. However for an unrelated to canon side game back in 2008? I wouldn't know if the idea was too out there at the time.

Capcomplicated

The Lousy Architect
Premium
Yikes! You make very valid points actually >_< Actually now that you bring it up I do recall what a mess it seemingly was turning into. Kind of sounds like they were aiming to built the entirety of the game around it though while I'd make mine less extravagant. If memory serves Silent Hill Origins did the whole picking up and throwing random objects without a hitch and that game also managed to give each item its own weight behind them. Granted I'm not a fan of any of the post 4 SH games but I'm sure you get my point lol. I guess I'd probably narrow it down to fewer items as possible in random locations stretched on the map. Since you'd still have fire arms, I'd mainly focus on making rather flimsy or unconventional items for melee only. However the environmental interaction I could see being very difficult and I hadn't, admittedly, thought much of it through.

Now keep in mind that all of these ideas are something of a fan game I came up with when I was about 15 or so. That was about 8 years ago. Of course at this point I'd never expect Capcom to actually take risks this big. However for an unrelated to canon side game back in 2008? I wouldn't know if the idea was too out there at the time.
well if you think about it Bethesda has already kinda accomplished this. You can pick up most anything and drag it in 3d space AND for the most part affects other variables like people walking around the item(s). I'm sure if Capcom cracked this code it would be comparable to that. If I were a betting man (and I am) I would wager that they wont put that much effort into the game model after they've already created one. That being said the game wouldn't necessarily have to be as large as a Bethesda game to be successful. The games they make are extremely buggy and glitchy which for their franchises...works for them in some weird way.

They would have to have someone on the team willing to take the reins as project leader or leaders. Then take the initiative to push Capcom to give them more resources and money to essentially "start fresh". Which at this point needs to happen. Either 7 needs to be the last game or a reboot in my opinion. I don't think they know what going back to their roots means anymore.

BeatTheGG

The true last hope.
well if you think about it Bethesda has already kinda accomplished this. You can pick up most anything and drag it in 3d space AND for the most part affects other variables like people walking around the item(s). I'm sure if Capcom cracked this code it would be comparable to that. If I were a betting man (and I am) I would wager that they wont put that much effort into the game model after they've already created one. That being said the game wouldn't necessarily have to be as large as a Bethesda game to be successful. The games they make are extremely buggy and glitchy which for their franchises...works for them in some weird way.

They would have to have someone on the team willing to take the reins as project leader or leaders. Then take the initiative to push Capcom to give them more resources and money to essentially "start fresh". Which at this point needs to happen. Either 7 needs to be the last game or a reboot in my opinion. I don't think they know what going back to their roots means anymore.
Yeah they did didn't they. In actuality this concept isn't anything new when you get right down to it. Also agreed on the bigger aspect. The Resi games usually pride themselves on being rather narrow and confined with tons of optional routes. Now when you bring up the glitchy aspect, I do recall Capcom having one sort of game that they managed to work around and that was the jump cancels in Devil May Cry 3. Now of course this is early 2000s Capcom, which is an entirely different beast from todays Capcom lol.

Yeah someone who would give the game it's own personality and try less to just slap a bunch of mechanics together and hope it comes with good results *coughRE6cough* Honestly I don't think they know what going back to the roots means anymore either. It's strange but now a days I feel companies don't really have a good gauge on what it means to have a target audience. They keep alienating the original fan base yet act surprise when it comes with disastrous results. However it's not entirely possible to please both at the same time since they were gravitated for entirely different reasons. When I look at RE6, I see a balls-to-the-walls actions shooter, with a terrible story, annoyingly melodramatic characters, nice voice acting but awful voice direction, lack of tension or artistic integrity, over abundance of content that don't mesh well together at all, and above all, it's to fast paced for someone like me to get invested in. This is all of course my opinion and someone else may feel different. However despite my dislike for RE6, I can say I at least appreciate Capcom picking a side this time around (well sort of) That game to me just said, **** it and decided to forget anything that resembles classic Resident Evil. It was an action shooter %100. It didn't care if people like I didn't like it because it truly wasn't meant for my audience. I just with Capcom would stop jerking us and honestly merchandise it as such.

I mean if it's the canon story line Capcom is worried about salvaging I say forget it. The canon is beyond that at this point. I say they cut us off entirely or hire some new blood.

Mechalicker

Yes and no. Yes- slower pacing, less action (less not none), claustrophobic setting
no- first person view, supernatural, bland/empty environment(lack of interaction)

Top Bottom