• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Is RE7 an actually confirmed thing or is it a rumor?

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
I did hear that this was going to be even better than re6 because there would be more scary monsters and more missions as well as the graphics would be more improved too. So I've been really hopefully to get the game once it had came out.

You know if you were to put all the different resident evil games together they would all make a story in there own way.

I'm not completely sure but I could search for one and post it to you as soon as I do,I think there is a trailer for the new re7 too.

Of course it will,I guess there will be newer zombies and b.o.w.s too,maybe bring some of the old ones back you never know.

Hello sebastian lynn, welcome to the forum. :)
Double/multiple-posting is not allowed when it can be avoided. Please use the multi quote button ("+ Quote") when you want to quote several posts.
Familiarize yourself with the forum rules if you've not done so already.

Thank you. :)

Unknown

Who would've thought we'd ever see Barry again? And as a protagonist no less, with his own completely personal story that featured not just him, but his daughters who's only mentions were in a file that had long drifted into obscurity.

Anguis

Who would've thought we'd ever see Barry again? And as a protagonist no less, with his own completely personal story that featured not just him, but his daughters who's only mentions were in a file that had long drifted into obscurity.
Yeah, he and delivered so much fanservice :3

Claire: What about you Barry?
Barry:...I have this!!

Natalia: This mansion looks like it's from the movies
Barry: Speak for yourself, I've had my fill of mansions.

Barry: This gives us a "hole" lot of options.

I fanboyed SO HARD.

sebastian lynn

Capcom has the bad habit of making new characters and then throwing them in a bottomless pit never to be seen again, with the rare exception every once in a while.
I guess they tend to do that,maybe because they have ones to replace them because im not 100% sure.

ResidentDevil

RE Mania
I think RE 7 is unofficially confirmed. Looking back at 2013 there was a report that RE 7 appeared at someone's resumé, and immediately the information got removed, I think this is the most legitimate leak/rumor about RE 7 so far along with last year's Capcom interview telling us to stay tuned.

Last edited:

meg5493

I guess they tend to do that,maybe because they have ones to replace them because im not 100% sure.
It's more of a Capcom figured out which characters were popular and which ones weren't and when characters over time become fan favorites Capcom slides them into spin off games like with Barry and Claire. I wouldn't be surprised if a Revelations 3 had characters like Rebecca and Carlos, or Billy and so forth. I'm honestly unsure of how popular most nonreturning RE characters are. Barry was a given though because of the memes and his brief cameos in past games.

Airaku

Stray Jedi
I don't necessarily agree with the newer characters being better developed in general. If you look at the original RE1, all the characters there, even those that never speak a word and are dead when you find them, have detailed backgrounds. The only problem is that you can't possibly know about any of it if you haven't read the manual, as it never comes up in the game itself, and doesn't need to either. For example, the manual tells us that Chris is a sniper and a pilot, but it doesn't matter because there are no sniper rifles or planes in the game for him to operate, and his quick temper as well as his alleged problem with authority never come into play either because he's pretty nice to everyone, including Wesker, who is his superior and therefore an authority. Jill could have been a prostitute who was offered a job at the RPD after a cop was impressed by her beating up a bothersome customer, and we would never know because she's as bland as everybody else in that game.

But that's one thing that changed with the newer games and characters. Their backgrounds are actually revealed, or at least alluded to in the games. Ashley's personality clearly shines through in RE4. In RE5, Chris and Sheva tell each other about their respective motivations in the marshlands. A similar thing happens between Jake and Sherry in RE6. Helena has a sister she wants to protect and later avenge, which makes her sympathetic and relatable, and she's the driving force behind Leon's campaign; without her, he wouldn't have gone anywhere. The Burton's family problems are thoroughly discussed in Revelations 2, and they do contribute to the story. (Also, I love Moira, even if I'm the only one here.) Even though the personalities and back-stories of the characters don't always drive the plot, having them come up every once in a while makes me feel more connected to the game. And that's what the newer games do better than the old ones in my opinion, not the creativity behind the characters in general, which was always there, just executed poorly.

I agree with you for the most part. I am a little confused on the back and forth. The whole mention of inconsistency in the older characters, falling bland to the new characters who have more depth to them. It sense that your option gradually shifted, or at least recognised different perspectives. Mentioning that there is more backstory with the new characters, more relatability, and my opinion (where we seem to disagree) push the story further. What you say about it not necessarily driving the plot forward is somewhat true, but on the contrary, the depth allows for the majority to relate with those characters better. We also tend to naturally feel more emotional when a character has more depth to them. Which is why I prefer the newer games in terms of story. I stand by the notion that Capcom really matured over time in this matter. Many of us older fans feel more attached the characters we grew up with. Which is why I carefully and continually brought up that I am speaking from a "writers perspective". I cannot stress enough that there is a difference with liking a characters development, and properly writing a better character development. It's just not the same. We can see a disparity on this matter with long term fans vs newer fans. I've met some who claim the older games have a "crap" story and out dated gameplay. Sadly while most of us, including myself will disagree... Ink ribbons were also removed because that gameplay mechanic was "out dated" and not "accessible" for many gamers. The goal was the brining in more fans to the series.

We also need to realise something from a game design point of view. Survival horror rarely ever works with lots of cutscenes. Most survival horror games stick with visual story telling for reasons. Telling the story through documents allows us to unravel the mystery. A few cutscenes can be used, but only at appropriate times. For example the beginning and end of the game are preferred. Some times we get a few sprinkles through-out the game to retain the players interest and have them remain focused on their goals. When we switch to cutscenes heavy games and include deeper character development. We sometimes tend to see gameplay shifted to make sure everything is more unified and consistent. For a small example, the awesome fights with Albert Wesker would have been vastly different without that style. It seems clear that Capcom presented the direction and story they wanted to go with. RE6 on the other hand seemed inconsistent and there were times that seemed like Capcom became "confused" with their direction and focus. The Ustanak did not turn out as Capcom hoped, they claimed he would be scary. He definitely wasn't and he was as action pact as the rest of the game. The snake fight was the same. With the Revelation titles Capcom found a way to be more consistant and balanced. Barry was more focused on action moments, and Claire was more focused with survival horror. The biggest common denominator is that they both include uniqe puzzles that were fitting to their style of gameplay. The first Revelation games seemed be this way with Chris and Jill. We see much more focus.

In the end we must consider both gameplay design and story writing. Finding the perfect balance is very difficult and many games see a lot of rewrites through game development. Bungie is assumed to have re-written almost all of their games half way through development to be consistant. We see evidence of this with Destiny's trailer and Halo 2's trailer. Bungie has openly admitted that this was the case with Destiny, which is why the development cycle was so long and they needed to remove things and shove things in, shifting focus to meet it's release date. The end producted ended with a bit of a mess. Halo 1 and Halo 3 were said to have been just as bad. I'm sure many of us have seen the changes and evolution of Halo: CE's development. The game went from an RTS, to a 3rd person shooter, to a FPS. They have been quite open about this where 99% of the other gaming companies are not. I do know for a fact that Mass Effect has had many, many changes to it's story throughout it's development due to a veriaty of reasons. They even left a few inconsitancies that were more than noticeable. Some known, others not so much, but most of them had huge impacts on the games development. The point of mentioning this is to display how both gameplay and story need to be in harmony, or else there are complications and changes need to be made to one or another. Many, many games like Mario can avoid this due to using the most basic of plots. This allows the developers to do almost anything with their gameplay. A lot of experimenting occurs but it still DOES need to have some form of consistency to the gameplay. There are some games that pull off "breaking" moments very well. Batman: Arkham Knight is a prime example of this. If you played the game, you would know exactly what part of the game I am talking about. This is a very rare case when it comes to video games, and it is something that is looked at by both developers an students alike. GTA is no different and you'll often see GTA being played by developers to understand how to interchange gameplay and story, and how to properly make an open world game. EA has done this.

I want to add a little fun fact on that note :) RE4 was a huge inspiration for Mass Effect 2. BioWare actually had developers play the game multiple times to understand the mechanics and how to properly implement them into the game. The challenge was to game those mechanics work with the existing gameplay and story. BioWare needed to make it work with the gameplay that all the classes brought to the table. I just figured I would share that :3

PS. I loved Moira myself. I didn't care for her the first time I played the game, but then I really saw her shine. Her personality is my kind of girl :3 caring, kind hearted, yet has fun and we can tell she doesn't take a lot of things seriously thanks to her awesome choice of words. Of course the situation called for her attitude to adjust to what is going on around her. As I said before, she's a punk rocker and not some bull**** stero-type :p

Yeah, he and delivered so much fanservice :3

Claire: What about you Barry?
Barry:...I have this!!

Natalia: This mansion looks like it's from the movies
Barry: Speak for yourself, I've had my fill of mansions.

Barry: This gives us a "hole" lot of options.

I fanboyed SO HARD.

Ugh! Totally! *smiles wide* Though if I recall right... Wasn't Barry directing the "I have this" to Moira. She insisted to help because she felt Barry needed her. Of course Barry wouldn't risk losing her again and then dropped the bombshell line! xD

"Natalia: This mansion looks like it's from the movies
Barry: Speak for yourself, I've had my fill of mansions."

I actually didn't "get" that quote until my second play through. After reading all the dev interviews I could find and then saw it again... I got it and I realised how disturbing and creepy it was. That line disturbed me so. The "bleeding effect" is just brilliantly done, especially with how subtle it was. The game told this portion of the story through "visual storytelling" through gameplay. If you don't understand what that term means, think BioShock, Metroid Prime, Dark Souls/Bloodborne. It's difficult to do, but Revelations 2 did it well. It's something that hasn't been done since the original Resident Evil games, I'd debate that RE1 did it the best. The only problem with Revelations 2 in terms of story telling, which seemed to be the games true bane. Was that the game attempted to tell the story with traditional cutscenes, documents that haven't been as vital since the original games, and visual story telling through gameplay. That's a lot for a player to take in in-fact it's taught in game design school to completely avoid mixing different types of stories formats together like this. It alienates the majority of the people that play the game as gamers tend to focus on the one or two forms of the narrative, missing another form. Especially without playing the game twice. Luckily Capcom did give players the memo to do so thanks to the dual endings. Sadly it is considered a very poor design choice, one that I gravely enjoy and happily sit in my little corner with the minorities :3 Not that Capcom has been following the "do's and don'ts guidelines" with the past few games xD
I will state that mixing many forms or narratives is fully acceptable in MMO's. This should be fairly obvious, and cutscenes are rarely used in the first place.

Capcomplicated

The Lousy Architect
Premium
they are probably just waiting on their creative team to show up lol Capcom will do what makes them money period. That's why all the rehashing of remakes and re re re re re 1 ULTIMATE remake HDD versions are popping up. because those games made them so much money when they came out then resi 4 came out and they made even more money so that's why they are so confused on what to do. Most likely Resident Evil 7 will be an action/horror let down just like 6 because they are trying to appease multiple groups and not taking any risks since it has such a huge fan base. If I were Capcom though I would love to change the whole model they've got going on and just do less action and more story

Turo602

The King of Kings
It has nothing to do with being dumb or not. I am purely talking from a writers perspective. Which has been a HUUUUGE leap on Capcom's part, there's really no debating this. You can have terrible characters and even a setting with good writing. Black Ops III is a prime example of this. I'm not going to go into why that game is so brilliant in this aspect as it would be a lengthy post. Keep in mind I haven't liked CoD since CoD4, stopped playing after Modern Warsuck 2, BOIII was my first return to play the series and a I brought it as a JOKE on the Fallout 4 midnight launch without getting Fallout 4 that night for the ****s and giggles. That is irrelevant to the conversation. Back to RE. Both Sheva and Helena are jokes when it comes to character writing. It's almost insulting that they were in the game in the first place. They had almost no personality what so ever. I really hope we don't see them again. This I can agree on without a doubt. As much as people hated Ashley, she at least had some personality and depth to her characters. So that goes to really say something about the formers.

As for Pier's... he's actually a really deep character that pushed Chris's story forward. Unfortunately, he is very bland without reading "The Marhawa Desire". This is baaaad. Relying on other source material for the core story is why Halo is starting to fall flat on its face and pushing gamers away. You perspective of Pier's may or may not change in regards of that story. He became who is he is for a reason. Previously he was the funny guy who was only serious when **** hits the fan and when engaged with B.O.W's. He still had his classy jokes, but that all died at the a certain unfortunate event that left him numb. One thing is for sure. My perspective of Pier's took a 180 turn after those manga's. And Capcom is doing it again, only with more push behind it. We have a new pharmaceutical company that's presumed to be Umbrella's rival company that Ada worked for, more story for Alex Wesker, major B.O.W tests that could be a turning point.... ugh... the remake for RE2 might actually be more important than we thought. Of course that is speculation.... but it doesn't change the notion that cross media story telling does not always work as well as the creators planned. The animated movies do well to stand on their own.

I have to agree with @bSTAR_182 on the points she made. Jake has a lot of potential ahead of him. So does Sherry, there is a lot that they can do with her. I also didn't care for Moira the first time around, my second play through I started to like her more, I started to see things from her perspective. I would never say she is stero-typical. Punk-rockers have been stero-typed in ****ty ways in games for a long times. She is definitely better than 99%. Desmond from Infamous was done pretty damn well imho.

It has tons to do with being dumb. These aren't intentionally dumb characters like Homer Simpson or Peter Griffin which makes it all the more laughable. Just because the writing has gotten better than the garbage it used to be doesn't make it any less bad. Yes, recent games have attempted depth and for reasons I've already stated, it fails at it.

BeatTheGG

The true last hope.
You know with all this talk about RE7, it's really starting to take me back to a Resident Evil fan game I came up with back in highschool. It's a bit unrelated :paranoid:but I'm more than willing to share if anyone's interested. Maybe as its own topic? idk...

meg5493

You know with all this talk about RE7, it's really starting to take me back to a Resident Evil fan game I came up with back in highschool. It's a bit unrelated :paranoid:but I'm more than willing to share if anyone's interested. Maybe as its own topic? idk...
Yeah go for it man thats what makes waiting for games so excitable!! Hearing peoples ideas for game is fun

Airaku

Stray Jedi
It has tons to do with being dumb. These aren't intentionally dumb characters like Homer Simpson or Peter Griffin which makes it all the more laughable. Just because the writing has gotten better than the garbage it used to be doesn't make it any less bad. Yes, recent games have attempted depth and for reasons I've already stated, it fails at it.

I would say it comes more or less down to personal preference. I have come across a lot of people who would disagree and say that the new characters are far better than the older characters, and that it is time to "move on". Which I wouldn't ever say is true, but again. In terms of the writing of the characters, they are right. It is better. In terms of the characters themselves.... not exactly. It took me a while to get used to some of them. So don't get me wrong here.

On that note. Not every one enjoys depth added to familiar and iconic characters. A lot of Halo fans are ****ed at 343i with Halo 4 and 5 because Master Chief talks. If rumors are to be correct, the next Zelda game will be the first title to be fully voice acted (with the exectption of Link), it's only a rumor but many fans have already responded with negativity before we have even seen anything that remotely suggests it to be true. Samus in Metroid: Other M also went on to **** a lot of fans off because Samus opened her mouth.

Games evolve over time. It doesn't mean that we all like it. I'm one of the fans that's very bitter and upset about Master Chief given more dialogue. He went from being a badass, to an unimpressive characters in my book.

BeatTheGG

The true last hope.
Yeah go for it man thats what makes waiting for games so excitable!! Hearing peoples ideas for game is fun
Awesome! I'll get on it some time today. It'll be a bit lengthy so it'll take me a while. Oh and on an unrelated note, nice avatar. Claire Redfield is my favorite Resident Evil character hands down! :love:

I would say it comes more or less down to personal preference. I have come across a lot of people who would disagree and say that the new characters are far better than the older characters, and that it is time to "move on". Which I wouldn't ever say is true, but again. In terms of the writing of the characters, they are right. It is better. In terms of the characters themselves.... not exactly. It took me a while to get used to some of them. So don't get me wrong here.

On that note. Not every one enjoys depth added to familiar and iconic characters. A lot of Halo fans are ****ed at 343i with Halo 4 and 5 because Master Chief talks. If rumors are to be correct, the next Zelda game will be the first title to be fully voice acted (with the exectption of Link), it's only a rumor but many fans have already responded with negativity before we have even seen anything that remotely suggests it to be true. Samus in Metroid: Other M also went on to **** a lot of fans off because Samus opened her mouth.

Games evolve over time. It doesn't mean that we all like it. I'm one of the fans that's very bitter and upset about Master Chief given more dialogue. He went from being a badass, to an unimpressive characters in my book.

Actually I would say the backlash for Metroid: Other M had less to do with Samus talking and more with how she was characterized. Well that among like 50 other things at least... If I'm not mistaken she's talked before but rather than sounding deadpan and droning on, she was brief and authoritative. Also a LoZ game with full voice acting? o_O ...oh god I'm getting Zelda CD-I flashbacks.

Capcomplicated

The Lousy Architect
Premium

I feel like the best comparison of these feelings is when I saw that rob zombie did the remake of Halloween and that Michael Myers talked in this one. I was immediately turned off by that aspect alone. In all of the Halloween series the implication was that Michael Myers had no voice because he was pure evil. So rather personify a character with a personality in voice the eariness in his anti-dialogue made it that much more horrifying to me.

I feel like there is an epidemic of ****ty games because developers are generally confused on how to put content in a game to please a majority and sell to the other side. They take models from successful games and incorporate them with no link to the original feel of the genre.

Thats why I think 7 will be bad. I think they are trying to get us pumped up with all these remakes then when 7 comes out...same characters maybe a few new sub characters same crap action horror 6 was, maybe no qtes which would vastly improve gameplay but still. I doubt capcom has what it takes to completely start fresh with new characters different but linked story.

Theyre used to everyone being badass from the get go... Chris, Leon, Jill...all are Rambo and ramboette style gameplay
from 4 on

Id like to see someone struggle with reality and have them organically get better as the game progresses. But idk maybe I'm over thinking it

BeatTheGG

The true last hope.

I'll be honest. The writing in these current Resident Evil's is taking itself far to serious for me to enjoy them. I really liked the campy-ness in games of old. If they wanted to express tension and serious matters, they would let their environment and music do the talking for them, meanwhile saving voice and heavy dialogue to advance the story only. I didn't need guys yelling at the top of their lungs for dramatic effect or everyone having stare up in awe as a huge monster comes looming down at the camera. It was all show don't tell.

I feel like if RE1 was made today, that first zombie encounter wouldn't be silent with a severed head falling as the zombie slowly turns his head in wonderful presentation. Instead we'd probably get Chris and some guy running up to it with a gun pointed as one of them yells for the zombie to turn around. The zombie would slowly stand up, drop the head quickly, howl at the player and run at the camera.

Airaku

Stray Jedi
Awesome! I'll get on it some time today. It'll be a bit lengthy so it'll take me a while. Oh and on an unrelated note, nice avatar. Claire Redfield is my favorite Resident Evil character hands down! :love:

Actually I would say the backlash for Metroid: Other M had less to do with Samus talking and more with how she was characterized. Well that among like 50 other things at least... If I'm not mistaken she's talked before but rather than sounding deadpan and droning on, she was brief and authoritative. Also a LoZ game with full voice acting? o_O ...oh god I'm getting Zelda CD-I flashbacks.

Yes and no. That is one of the reasons. I know a lot of people were angry because Samus showed a slight "emotional side". For one, that Metroid.... saw her as a mother (if I recall correctly). So yes... in a way. It's the only real attachment she may have felt. At the same time, some may say she wasn't really emotional at all. Either way she's still the bad ass she's always been. She's ****ing ruthless. My god, her kill count numbers is just retarded....

The Metroid universe is massive, yet we see so little of it in the games. The producer of a few of the Metroid games, Kensuke Tanabe, has stated that the universe is so rich. That's time to really start digging into it. He's stated that he really wants to explore Sylux. Who is a very popular character amongst fans in the Metroid universe, he stated that there is so much story for this character and that he has some great ideas. The story and his relationship with Samus may be more important than we thought. Sometimes I wonder if his little warpath is actually a case of vengeance on something Samus did. Her recklessness perhaps causing him some great personal loss?

Thinking about this is getting me far too excited for the what ever the next Metroid game may be. I'm pretty damn sure that it was Sylux at the end of Prime 3.

I feel like the best comparison of these feelings is when I saw that rob zombie did the remake of Halloween and that Michael Myers talked in this one. I was immediately turned off by that aspect alone. In all of the Halloween series the implication was that Michael Myers had no voice because he was pure evil. So rather personify a character with a personality in voice the eariness in his anti-dialogue made it that much more horrifying to me.

I feel like there is an epidemic of ****ty games because developers are generally confused on how to put content in a game to please a majority and sell to the other side. They take models from successful games and incorporate them with no link to the original feel of the genre.

Thats why I think 7 will be bad. I think they are trying to get us pumped up with all these remakes then when 7 comes out...same characters maybe a few new sub characters same crap action horror 6 was, maybe no qtes which would vastly improve gameplay but still. I doubt capcom has what it takes to completely start fresh with new characters different but linked story.

Theyre used to everyone being badass from the get go... Chris, Leon, Jill...all are Rambo and ramboette style gameplay
from 4 on

Id like to see someone struggle with reality and have them organically get better as the game progresses. But idk maybe I'm over thinking it

I agree that developers are appealing too much to a more mainstream audience. Resident Evil 6 went this route and far too many other games by other developers are doing the same. Assassin's Creed sold out after AC III. There are way too many games to even list here.

I am one of the few that has some real faith in RE7. I think that Capcom will be taking a step back to leap forward. I get the feeling that they will be filled with surprises, but maybe that's just me.

You've stated one of the reasons that I would like to see a little more of the new characters yourself. Leon and Chris have been pushed too far into the action route. I don't see how they can go back. With the younger characters, they have a chance. Jake being the exception. Moira and Sherry are perfectly suitable for a more horrorish experience. Natalia would also be great, depending on how they make this work. Weather if it's in her head, or a tug of war between her own and Alex's consciousness. Another attractive alternative would be Rebecca.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
Leon and Chris have been pushed too far into the action route. I don't see how they can go back. With the younger characters, they have a chance. Jake being the exception. Moira and Sherry are perfectly suitable for a more horrorish experience. Natalia would also be great, depending on how they make this work. Weather if it's in her head, or a tug of war between her own and Alex's consciousness. Another attractive alternative would be Rebecca.

Have you played Lost in Nightmares? I have recently, for the first time actually, and it proves that whether or not a game is (survival) horror does not depend on the characters you're controlling. Sure, I didn't pee my pants playing this little extra chapter of RE5, it even felt like a parody at first with how hard it tried to copy the original RE1, but that underground part where you face a seemingly invincible enemy without any guns, having to resort to traps because you can't defend yourself otherwise, is actually quite good - despite the player characters being Chris and Jill, the veterans of the RE series.

Another thing I like is how you can hear someone play the second movement of the Moonlight Sonata after you've played the first one to get the emblem, but when you return to the piano room, there is no one there, the music suddenly stops and is replaced by scary ambient sounds. Again, this little effect didn't cause me to tremble in fear, but nothing in the first few games ever did that to me either, this is as scary as it gets with RE, and it can be this way with any character.

meg5493

Yes and no. That is one of the reasons. I know a lot of people were angry because Samus showed a slight "emotional side". For one, that Metroid.... saw her as a mother (if I recall correctly). So yes... in a way. It's the only real attachment she may have felt. At the same time, some may say she wasn't really emotional at all. Either way she's still the bad ass she's always been. She's ****ing ruthless. My god, her kill count numbers is just retarded....
When it comes to Metroid other M this guy sums up pretty well about whats wrong with the game especially coming from the prime series...

Top Bottom