• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Is RE7 an actually confirmed thing or is it a rumor?

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
We seem to be catching @BeatTheGG up with all the major arguments fans are having with the upcoming installments.

I don't get the obsession with killing off or getting rid of the MAIN characters. They're far too iconic and important to the series to be replaced by lame characters like Piers, Moira, and Jake who have nothing on the originals. Piers was just a generic BSAA soldier who had no prior motive or development like Chris did with the Mansion. That incident is what led him on the path he's on now. Same for Jill, Leon, and Claire. Moira was just a whiny stereotypical teenager and Jake was by far the worst of them all. It was obvious that he was created to fill the void of players wanting to play as Wesker but dammit, he's no Wesker. His abilities make no sense and they just try way too hard to make him "cool" and ultimately, he's not. He's just an immature, bitchy, try hard. That's not to say I wouldn't want Sherry or Moira to ever return in the future. They definitely have a place now, but not as replacements to anyone.

Besides, if anyone should die, you have characters like Ada and Barry who are big enough characters to have impactful deaths without robbing the franchise of an important character. The only time a main character should die is when it's time to end the series. Otherwise, you're not really doing a service to whichever big name character is being killed off if they could just move on from them and be forgotten 1 or 2 games later. You don't just kill Mario or Luigi and expect people not to care. Sh*t, just look at Wesker. People are still hoping for his return which only proves that they killed him too early or very poorly. Though, I'd say it's both.

Also, people like to say Chris and Leon are far too experienced to be in a survival horror situation and I just don't think that's true. This is where Capcom f*cked up in RE6. They said the horror in Chris' campaign is seeing his squad die and get picked off one by one which may be horrifying for the character, but not so much the player. Scaring the player is what matters the most here and that can be easily achieved using any character so long the game is developed that way.

This dammit.

As for killing off Chris... That man is here to stay, so you Leon fanboys better get cozy with it. ;)

Even though Capcom probably was trying to decide if they should or should not kill Chris off in RE6, I think they made the better choice for the exact reason that @Turo602 pointed out.
I also like the fact that it took a character who was so similar to Chris (before the mansion incident) to save Chris not only from the RE6 circumstances but from his mental struggles as well. Chris is not an invincible superhero after all and Piers definitely took the spotlight with the heroics in Chris' campaign.

Last edited:

RedPanda

4x the awesome
Another thing about killing Chris is that it would suck for them to kill such a huge character for the series in a game that a lot of people didn't like. It would kind of do a disservice to his legacy and lessen the impact of his death. I don't really get why anybody needs to die anyway, but I don't think that was the right time to do it. I get Piers being the replacement of Chris and the idea that they were initially going to do that totally makes sense based on the finished product, but something stopped them, and I don't think they simply chickened out. The storyline was confusing enough as it is and
Piers's death felt extremely rushed. I remember I played that game with my brother and I was Piers, and after a while of watching dramatic cutscenes I was just like "Wait, did I die?"
so doing that to Chris would've really ticked off a lot of fans.

Nobody had much of a personality in any of the older games. There wasn't a whole lot of room for it. Chris and Jill were regular soldiers, Claire said like two snarky lines to soldify her personality as a smart mouth. Leon was a rookie cop who wanted to save everybody, which isn't even really a personality trait. In fact, I'd argue the first main game where characters really had a chance to show another layer of depth was probably 4, and Leon was incredibly flat in that game. Despite being screwed over by his girlfriend several times, shot and knifed at by his old pal, and being injected with a virus which he very narrowly managed to reverse, he was still incredibly stoic. Resident Evil has never been good at fleshing out characters, and I think 5 and 6 have done a better job of expanding Chris's character than any of the past games had done for anyone.

Unknown

It turned out much more poetic in the end. Chris was all ready to retire, but Piers dying was a twist to what would've otherwise been a very cheap attempt at shock value. It was like the world telling Chris that his work is not done yet.

There's a reason that Chris' campaign is widely considered to have the best story and ending in 6.

HELLBOY1980

sometimes dead is betta ..(Jud Crandall)
I want jake and sherry for sure theres so much potential for them more than anyone else !!!!! please no Moira, Helena , or little girls following you around garbage !!!! ID be super happy with 3 campaigns again- Jake sherry/hunk ada/Leon Claire. - Or it would be even better If it was Chris, Jill, Barry, and Jake in his dads old Stars outfit all starting a new stars team up again !!!!!

Turo602

The King of Kings
In all honesty, Piers dying made him more likeable. Otherwise, I had no interest in him taking Chris' mantle while Chris just retires or dies. Especially since we still haven't gotten a proper Leon and Chris team up or even a modern Chris and Jill game. I really had no problem with Piers or Helena but compared to their partners, they're nobodies.

BeatTheGG

The true last hope.
In all honesty, Piers dying made him more likeable. Otherwise, I had no interest in him taking Chris' mantle while Chris just retires or dies. Especially since we still haven't gotten a proper Leon and Chris team up or even a modern Chris and Jill game. I really had no problem with Piers or Helena but compared to their partners, they're nobodies.
I didn't like any of the new characters introduced in RE6 but I will say I think Helena was the one I hated the least. To be honest, I forget Piers was even there most of the time lol. Everyone kept going on about how sad his fate was and I'm the only one who was like:

"Who? Oh you mean that guy with the scarf and the arm? Yeah sucks doesn't it."

Idk maybe I'm just too emotionally closed off. I couldn't get invested in Chris' new found depression. It felt too forced and out of left field for me to think anything other than, "Yeah okay this is what they're going with, eh?" So when Piers was acting as Chris' emotional crutch and snap back into reality, I felt nothing.

On a side note, I didn't hate Sheva as much as most people. She was kinda bland but having just her and Chris there helped me at least identify with her. I guarantee with the next RESi game, I'll most likely forget all about Jake or Piers :unimpressed:

HELLBOY1980

sometimes dead is betta ..(Jud Crandall)
jake and sherry are the future of all the games .. think of what they could do in the last game and their abilities enhanced upon in this new one !!!!

Airaku

Stray Jedi
Totally forgot about that concept art. Was it confirmed legit? Drawn by Capcom?

Anyway, it's cleary Chris and Jill and I recall a comment by one developer following RE6 that the series would go back to its roots with the two of them trapped in another mansion.

It was never confirmed by Capcom. A while back a concept artist used it in his portfolio. It was filed as Resident Evil, I'm pretty sure it was specifically labeled as Resident Evil 7. Since it was on his portfolio. The chances of it being fake is highly unlikely. I'm confident that you could get in huuuuge trouble if you lie on your portfolio.

I don't get the obsession with killing off or getting rid of the MAIN characters. They're far too iconic and important to the series to be replaced by lame characters like Piers, Moira, and Jake who have nothing on the originals. Piers was just a generic BSAA soldier who had no prior motive or development like Chris did with the Mansion. That incident is what led him on the path he's on now. Same for Jill, Leon, and Claire. Moira was just a whiny stereotypical teenager and Jake was by far the worst of them all. It was obvious that he was created to fill the void of players wanting to play as Wesker but dammit, he's no Wesker. His abilities make no sense and they just try way too hard to make him "cool" and ultimately, he's not. He's just an immature, bitchy, try hard. That's not to say I wouldn't want Sherry or Moira to ever return in the future. They definitely have a place now, but not as replacements to anyone.

Besides, if anyone should die, you have characters like Ada and Barry who are big enough characters to have impactful deaths without robbing the franchise of an important character. The only time a main character should die is when it's time to end the series. Otherwise, you're not really doing a service to whichever big name character is being killed off if they could just move on from them and be forgotten 1 or 2 games later. You don't just kill Mario or Luigi and expect people not to care. Sh*t, just look at Wesker. People are still hoping for his return which only proves that they killed him too early or very poorly. Though, I'd say it's both.

Also, people like to say Chris and Leon are far too experienced to be in a survival horror situation and I just don't think that's true. This is where Capcom f*cked up in RE6. They said the horror in Chris' campaign is seeing his squad die and get picked off one by one which may be horrifying for the character, but not so much the player. Scaring the player is what matters the most here and that can be easily achieved using any character so long the game is developed that way.

I couldn't disagree more. The new characters written far better than the older characters. It's not about liking them or not. They are simply better from a witters perspective. Capcom is moving away from the stereo-types. Again, it has nothing to do with the characters being better or more likeable. Jake, Sherry, Moira, and debatably to a greater extent, Natalia all have more substantial story to them than a majority of the original cast, yet Jill (who is included here) is one of my favorite characters in the series, and always will be. It simply shows that Capcom has grown a long way in their story telling, and gravely in it's significance. Back then they mainly focused on the villains.

Oh wow O_O This is all news to me. It kind of sounds like a reboot for some reason. Is this official art made by Capcom though? For some odd reason, my mind screams Lisa Trevor at the bottom right picture.

I strongly believe that the girl in the top right and in the hospital bed is an early version of Natalia. The clothes in the top picture looks familiar and it seems like they are draining blood from her and the monkey in the bottom one, or some form of transfusion.

It's possible that the radio tower in the back could have been reused in Revelations 2. The characters are likely to be Chris and Jill. We also see a new logo on the Umbrella logo, freemason in nature. It likely has something to do with The Family and Umbrella. Which goes in question if the speculation that Alex Wesker is the one that took over The Family, likely by force. The problem here is that the timing is not lined up very well, the epilogue of Revelations 2 and the time she would have had to take over would have been around 8-10 hours if I remember right. The revelation of the Tall Oaks disaster certainly caught her attention. She would have had to take over the leadership by force and scare the ever living **** out of the people in the higher ranks to convince them to off Simmons.

That being said, Alex Wesker was likely intended to be the villain of RE7. Rather she will be or not in the final release is to be seen. Capcom is continuing to build on her back story with "Heavenly Island" which is a sequel, not a prequel as previously believed. She worked with a new pharmaceutical company from China named Shényā Pharmaceutical, which may very well be the rival company mentioned in RE2 that Ada worked for, and that Albert sold viruses to for his own personal funding. It's unlikely that he knew that Alex was involved in some shape of form. It's been rumored, and highly likely that Umbrella Corps will reveal that Shényā wiped out Tri-Cell. Apparently that is why we see a Tri-Cell facility in Umbrella Corps, it pretty much got ****ed up, for what ever reason.
The point being, Capcom is just getting started with Alex Wesker. Weither you consider it a Dues Ex Machina or not, it seeming more and more like the consciousness in Natalia really is the real Alex rather a copy. Which is why she killed herself, because the transfer wasn't fully complete and Natalia's consciousness lived, rather than died. Alex's revival was a miracle and allowed her to fix this "mistake" so she can persist. There are a few lines, and a document that highly suggest this, it's very vauge, but points to this fairly clearly. Once she fix this, she would need to rid herself of her old "vessel". I know, it's confusing xD Hopefully RE7, if not RE8, will reveal this. One way or another, Shényā Pharmaceutical will become a threat, as will Alex herself. Capcom is just getting started and they have already continued pushing her story forward post Revelations 2.

As for how the picture suggested to be a reboot? How so? It suggests to be a straight up sequel to me. You can even see the BSAA logo on Chris. There's a few things actually. So I am quite curious as to why you suggest this.

Turo602

The King of Kings
I definitely want to see Chris and Jake meet and even team up in the next game. It is bound to happen with the way those two left things off in RE6.

As much as I hate Jake, I honestly think it should have been that way since RE6. Piers and Helena didn't add anything special or essential to the story. It was pointless development on pointless characters. Even Chris' amnesia and fallen hero thing was stupid. Sherry should have been Leon's partner and Chris should have been the one trying to retrieve Jake. It would have been a much better dynamic having 2 guys who don't really like each other be forced to work together only for a huge revelation to bring them closer together. Because the end product made Jake look retarded for admitting he wanted to be nothing like his evil father that he never knew only to get butthurt and point a gun at the f*ckin' hero who saved the world from that same man. After everything we've been through with Chris Redfield, it's hard not to feel disgust for Jake's character whenever he acts unnecessarily bitchy towards Chris.

I couldn't disagree more. The new characters written far better than the older characters. It's not about liking them or not. They are simply better from a witters perspective. Capcom is moving away from the stereo-types. Again, it has nothing to do with the characters being better or more likeable. Jake, Sherry, Moira, and debatably to a greater extent, Natalia all have more substantial story to them than a majority of the original cast, yet Jill (who is included here) is one of my favorite characters in the series, and always will be. It simply shows that Capcom has grown a long way in their story telling, and gravely in it's significance. Back then they mainly focused on the villains.

It's irrelevant what story they have tied to them. It's still pointless writing that's going nowhere. I highly doubt we're ever going to see Helena again or even Sheva. Piers is dead so what was the point of his story? To add unnecessary character development to Chris? Piers was just a Chris clone without any of the story that makes Chris who is today. What's so great about that? He's just as generic as any of the other faceless BSAA soldiers. Moira was also the definition of stereotypical. She was a stupid teenager who acted like a stupid teenager in a dangerous and serious situation. Pretty typical for the horror genre. You'd think an experience like that would change someone but nope, she still really hates her dad who takes care of her and is nowhere near being the worst father ever rather than being like a normal teenager who would most likely get over their petty feelings and see what really matters in a life or death situation. You may call that great writing but I'd call it dumb as f*ck.

Last edited:

sebastian lynn

Oh so then it's really happening? That's pretty cool. Do you have a link, man?
I did hear that this was going to be even better than re6 because there would be more scary monsters and more missions as well as the graphics would be more improved too. So I've been really hopefully to get the game once it had came out.

I want jake and sherry for sure theres so much potential for them more than anyone else !!!!! please no Moira, Helena , or little girls following you around garbage !!!! ID be super happy with 3 campaigns again- Jake sherry/hunk ada/Leon Claire. - Or it would be even better If it was Chris, Jill, Barry, and Jake in his dads old Stars outfit all starting a new stars team up again !!!!!
You know if you were to put all the different resident evil games together they would all make a story in there own way.

I did hear that this was going to be even better than re6 because there would be more scary monsters and more missions as well as the graphics would be more improved too. So I've been really hopefully to get the game once it had came out.
I'm not completely sure but I could search for one and post it to you as soon as I do,I think there is a trailer for the new re7 too.

Long as this new one has bio creatures, tyrants and zombies i am in !!!
Of course it will,I guess there will be newer zombies and b.o.w.s too,maybe bring some of the old ones back you never know.

Last edited by a moderator:

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
As much as I hate Jake, I honestly think it should have been that way since RE6. Piers and Helena didn't add anything special or essential to the story. It was pointless development on pointless characters. Even Chris' amnesia and fallen hero thing was stupid. Sherry should have been Leon's partner and Chris should have been the one trying to retrieve Jake. It would have been a much better dynamic having 2 guys who don't really like each other be forced to work together only for a huge revelation to bring them closer together. Because the end product made Jake look retarded for admitting he wanted to be nothing like his evil father that he never knew only to get butthurt and point a gun at the f*ckin' hero who saved the world from that same man. After everything we've been through with Chris Redfield, it's hard not to feel disgust for Jake's character whenever he acts unnecessarily bitchy towards Chris.

It's irrelevant what story they have tied to them. It's still pointless writing that's going nowhere. I highly doubt we're ever going to see Helena again or even Sheva. Piers is dead so what was the point of his story? To add unnecessary character development to Chris? Piers was just a Chris clone without any of the story that makes Chris who is today. What's so great about that? He's just as generic as any of the other faceless BSAA soldiers. Moira was also the definition of stereotypical. She was a stupid teenager who acted like a stupid teenager in a dangerous and serious situation. Pretty typical for the horror genre. You'd think an experience like that would change someone but nope, she still really hates her dad who takes care of her and is nowhere near being the worst father ever rather than being like a normal teenager who would most likely get over their petty feelings and see what really matters in a life or death situation. You may call that great writing but I'd call it dumb as f*ck.

I get what you are saying, they could have done a lot of things differently with RE6... RE5... etc. Shoulda, coulda, woulda, at this point though... I think it is obvious that they are really trying to put more thought into the next products that they put out now, seeing as we have yet to have heard a peep on RE7 when they basically announced they were working on it before RE6 even released.

While Helena was a pretty useless addition to the series, Piers and Jake, I think, have made some impact on that game as well as the series for reasons stated above. Don't get me wrong though, I'm a bit annoyed with how out of left field the "son of Wesker" is but I still think that Jake has the most potential of them all. Even though they should have went this route with RE6, Capcom can still carry out the whole complex team up between him and Chris. His obvious daddy issues and lashing out at Chris should make for some interesting storytelling.

But I will say that I am enjoying some of the more colorful characters that they are coming up with, and really like that they are trying to add more depth with the classic heroes in the series as well. I've been wanting to see a mental breakdown from Chris since the live RE5 commercials. While maybe it wasn't featured in the best possible way, (I think a delusional/medicated Chris would have been fun to play as against some monsters) I'm happy they are trying to get more bold and in depth with the storytelling. Personally Revelations 2 has me thinking that they are on the right track because I thoroughly enjoyed it despites some dislikes that I do have with the game. I actually didn't mind Moira so much, I'm happy she wasn't some instant warrior. As for her attitude (along with Jake's), that's just how teenagers/immature people are... do I care if she is in the next title? Not really. Maybe for a simple cutscene but not to play as in the next major title. Unless they decided to go down that route of killing Barry off and then she wants to avenge him- then I could understand Capcom utilizing her a bit more.

Last edited:

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium
I loved playing RE5 with my fiancée, but RE6 just didn't feel as enjoyable. Maybe if they just took things back a step and refocused on what made RE so great to begin with, then 7 might turn out to be pretty good.

BeatTheGG

The true last hope.
jake and sherry are the future of all the games .. think of what they could do in the last game and their abilities enhanced upon in this new one !!!!
Understand my hatred for Jake doesn't have anything to do with the following sentences but:

I'd rather not have the same two characters show up in every installment. I prefer the current formula of following a different protagonist ever couple of games or so. That said, I'm more than certain they'll show up in future games. Though I don't think RE7 will be that game. With the backlash from RE6, I imagine Capcom wants to distance themselves from the cause for a while, until they can find their audience again.

Ans damn sherry had a smoking bod !!!

True

But it was also awkward for me. I've played RE2 more times then I can count so when I see 8 year old Sherry there, I can't help but cringe a little at Capcom's attempt to sexualize her in her next appearance.

It also made me want to kill Jake since it seemed obvious that they were forcing some kind of relationship between them lol
Long as this new one has bio creatures, tyrants and zombies i am in !!!

As long as you're having fun I say more power to ya man :)

BeatTheGG

The true last hope.
I strongly believe that the girl in the top right and in the hospital bed is an early version of Natalia. The clothes in the top picture looks familiar and it seems like they are draining blood from her and the monkey in the bottom one, or some form of transfusion.

You could be right. They do certainly look like they having similar white dresses on. It would help if she had a bracelet and/or a stuff toy on her.

It's possible that the radio tower in the back could have been reused in Revelations 2. The characters are likely to be Chris and Jill. We also see a new logo on the Umbrella logo, freemason in nature. It likely has something to do with The Family and Umbrella. Which goes in question if the speculation that Alex Wesker is the one that took over The Family, likely by force. The problem here is that the timing is not lined up very well, the epilogue of Revelations 2 and the time she would have had to take over would have been around 8-10 hours if I remember right. The revelation of the Tall Oaks disaster certainly caught her attention. She would have had to take over the leadership by force and scare the ever living **** out of the people in the higher ranks to convince them to off Simmons.
My first thought was Chris and Jill as well, though I didn't notice the new logo in the corner there. There's definitely a story behind that.

Honestly I haven't played enough of Revelation 2 to say much on either Alex Wesker sadly.

The point being, Capcom is just getting started with Alex Wesker. Weither you consider it a Dues Ex Machina or not, it seeming more and more like the consciousness in Natalia really is the real Alex rather a copy. Which is why she killed herself, because the transfer wasn't fully complete and Natalia's consciousness lived, rather than died. Alex's revival was a miracle and allowed her to fix this "mistake" so she can persist. There are a few lines, and a document that highly suggest this, it's very vauge, but points to this fairly clearly. Once she fix this, she would need to rid herself of her old "vessel". I know, it's confusing xD Hopefully RE7, if not RE8, will reveal this. One way or another, Shényā Pharmaceutical will become a threat, as will Alex herself. Capcom is just getting started and they have already continued pushing her story forward post Revelations 2.
To be honest, I don't know what to expect with the whole Alex Wesker business. The whole "Wesker children" thing throw me for a loop at the get go. It's gotten to the point that I'm more or less just going for the ride because Resident Evil's canon is all over the place. I do find your suspicions interesting though. If you don't mind me asking, which documents gave you the idea that Alex maybe living through Natalia? You'll have to excuse my ignorance as I, once again, have not beaten Revelation 2 yet.

As for how the picture suggested to be a reboot? How so? It suggests to be a straight up sequel to me. You can even see the BSAA logo on Chris. There's a few things actually. So I am quite curious as to why you suggest this.
Dunno really. Anytime I see what appears to be Jill and Chris back to back, my mind hearkens back to Resident Evil 1. Plus I've been beaten over the head with so many reboot rumors over these last few years that I might just be projecting a little bit. Wait is that the BSAA logo on Chris' shoulder there?

Honest to God I couldn't tell at first glance. Just sort of looked like a generic decorative to me. Kind of like a grey bagel:happy:Good to know.

BeatTheGG

The true last hope.
I think graphical improvements are a given since it will more than likely be a PS4 title. Then again, I do think RE5 on the PS3 looked better than RE6 on the PS3...

As for RE7 being better than RE6? IMO, it doesn't take much but I'll still withhold my judgement before promising Capcom my money. If it's going to be another action title, I'll probably wait until my brother gets it and just get my survival horror fix else were. He still adamantly buys the RESi games despite not liking the new direction. It makes good Saturday night fun when I get to visit him though. Lately I've been looking at titles like Year of the Lady Bug, Forgotten Memories (which is getting a console: definative version) and Bizerta: Silent Evil (a horror title on the Wii U? Sure I'll give it a look :eager:)

Last edited:

Airaku

Stray Jedi

It has nothing to do with being dumb or not. I am purely talking from a writers perspective. Which has been a HUUUUGE leap on Capcom's part, there's really no debating this. You can have terrible characters and even a setting with good writing. Black Ops III is a prime example of this. I'm not going to go into why that game is so brilliant in this aspect as it would be a lengthy post. Keep in mind I haven't liked CoD since CoD4, stopped playing after Modern Warsuck 2, BOIII was my first return to play the series and a I brought it as a JOKE on the Fallout 4 midnight launch without getting Fallout 4 that night for the ****s and giggles. That is irrelevant to the conversation. Back to RE. Both Sheva and Helena are jokes when it comes to character writing. It's almost insulting that they were in the game in the first place. They had almost no personality what so ever. I really hope we don't see them again. This I can agree on without a doubt. As much as people hated Ashley, she at least had some personality and depth to her characters. So that goes to really say something about the formers.

As for Pier's... he's actually a really deep character that pushed Chris's story forward. Unfortunately, he is very bland without reading "The Marhawa Desire". This is baaaad. Relying on other source material for the core story is why Halo is starting to fall flat on its face and pushing gamers away. You perspective of Pier's may or may not change in regards of that story. He became who is he is for a reason. Previously he was the funny guy who was only serious when **** hits the fan and when engaged with B.O.W's. He still had his classy jokes, but that all died at the a certain unfortunate event that left him numb. One thing is for sure. My perspective of Pier's took a 180 turn after those manga's. And Capcom is doing it again, only with more push behind it. We have a new pharmaceutical company that's presumed to be Umbrella's rival company that Ada worked for, more story for Alex Wesker, major B.O.W tests that could be a turning point.... ugh... the remake for RE2 might actually be more important than we thought. Of course that is speculation.... but it doesn't change the notion that cross media story telling does not always work as well as the creators planned. The animated movies do well to stand on their own.

I have to agree with @bSTAR_182 on the points she made. Jake has a lot of potential ahead of him. So does Sherry, there is a lot that they can do with her. I also didn't care for Moira the first time around, my second play through I started to like her more, I started to see things from her perspective. I would never say she is stero-typical. Punk-rockers have been stero-typed in ****ty ways in games for a long times. She is definitely better than 99%. Desmond from Infamous was done pretty damn well imho.

You could be right. They do certainly look like they having similar white dresses on. It would help if she had a bracelet and/or a stuff toy on her.

My first thought was Chris and Jill as well, though I didn't notice the new logo in the corner there. There's definitely a story behind that.

Honestly I haven't played enough of Revelation 2 to say much on either Alex Wesker sadly.

To be honest, I don't know what to expect with the whole Alex Wesker business. The whole "Wesker children" thing throw me for a loop at the get go. It's gotten to the point that I'm more or less just going for the ride because Resident Evil's canon is all over the place. I do find your suspicions interesting though. If you don't mind me asking, which documents gave you the idea that Alex maybe living through Natalia? You'll have to excuse my ignorance as I, once again, have not beaten Revelation 2 yet.

Dunno really. Anytime I see what appears to be Jill and Chris back to back, my mind hearkens back to Resident Evil 1. Plus I've been beaten over the head with so many reboot rumors over these last few years that I might just be projecting a little bit. Wait is that the BSAA logo on Chris' shoulder there?

Honest to God I couldn't tell at first glance. Just sort of looked like a generic decorative to me. Kind of like a grey bagel:happy:Good to know.

I'll reply to these in a numbered format.

1) If that is Natalia. The idea of the fear bracelet or Lottie likely came into factor far later in development as the story and characters changed. I see no reason to assume that it played a role in this version. I could be wrong.

2) I believe that there is a story as well. There has been rumors that Umbrella is perhaps a tad older than we were led to believe. I don't know if it's true or not, but I've heard people claim that Capcom was going to at one point have Nazi ties with Umbrella. If there is any credibility to this, it's scrapped. It would have been a silly idea. I suppose that they decided that making The Family their version of the Illuminati was a better idea -_-

I'm sure that if this logo and story will be used in some shape or form. That there will be a twist to it.

3) Yeah Resident Evil has been trying, and failing to be more like Metal Gear Solid. The Wesker children plot is almost identical to "Les Enfants Terribles" without real substance for a backstory. It was kind of show horned in. RE6 and Revelations 2 started to get the story more seamlined, where RE4 was more or less stand alone and RE5 made some changes that could be considered ret-con. The series was never known for being consistent. Hopefully that will soon change.

As for the stuff regarding Alex and Natalia. It's probably best to explain it after you played the game. I would suggest paying attention to the final document of the game that is in the cave toward the final fight. I didn't get it until a later play through. The final document symbolises and foreshadows the "bad ending", which may have been added to the game to make things more clear. I'm not entirely sure on this, but I have a line by line break down of that document I can send you later. and There are lots of little hints throughout the game. Including when Alex explained her plans. There was another document labeled something like "On the transfer procedure", in the Japanese version apparently it's called "Reincarnation Ceremony" and uses the words "Body, mind, and spirit". The term spirit was not in the localisation and of course the Japanese version is the true canon. Stewart also has a document that foreshadows things to come in the future. So there are a bunch of things, in addition, as I said. Capcom is pushing more into Alex Wesker's back story.

I believe that they decided to be consistent to the lore and came up with some confusing solution and excuse to put Alex in a younger body. The Resident Evil numbered titles take place within a year or two from their real world releases. The original cast is getting old and Capcom is building an all new generation of heroes. Think of it like a Star Wars trilogy. Jake and Sherry will likely be key players and I'm sure the old cast will be there as well. I think we will see another game or two with the original cast, so Alex could be on hold or in the background manipulating **** like Albert did. **** it, Heavenly Island is suggesting that she's been manipulating things from the beginning. There is just so much going on in the lore and I'm hoping that Capcom becomes more consistent. I can't find it but I remember reading somewhere that an RE dev said that RE6 is the end of an era/chapter. I could be remembering things wrong but I'm pretty sure of it. So it only leaves me wondering.

4) All the reboot rumors are just rumors. I believe that it was Kotaku that started it :/
I'm pretty darn confident that, that is the BSAA logo. It looks just like it, despite being small. At least I think so. The Jill and Chris back to back just seems like they are together again to me. I do find it odd that Jill doesn't have a BSAA patch hmmmm.... Again it's an older concept and Barry gets and e-mail from Jill in Revelations 2. Stating that rehab is going good and that she can't wait to get back into the field again. Take that as you will.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
I don't necessarily agree with the newer characters being better developed in general. If you look at the original RE1, all the characters there, even those that never speak a word and are dead when you find them, have detailed backgrounds. The only problem is that you can't possibly know about any of it if you haven't read the manual, as it never comes up in the game itself, and doesn't need to either. For example, the manual tells us that Chris is a sniper and a pilot, but it doesn't matter because there are no sniper rifles or planes in the game for him to operate, and his quick temper as well as his alleged problem with authority never come into play either because he's pretty nice to everyone, including Wesker, who is his superior and therefore an authority. Jill could have been a prostitute who was offered a job at the RPD after a cop was impressed by her beating up a bothersome customer, and we would never know because she's as bland as everybody else in that game.

But that's one thing that changed with the newer games and characters. Their backgrounds are actually revealed, or at least alluded to in the games. Ashley's personality clearly shines through in RE4. In RE5, Chris and Sheva tell each other about their respective motivations in the marshlands. A similar thing happens between Jake and Sherry in RE6. Helena has a sister she wants to protect and later avenge, which makes her sympathetic and relatable, and she's the driving force behind Leon's campaign; without her, he wouldn't have gone anywhere. The Burton's family problems are thoroughly discussed in Revelations 2, and they do contribute to the story. (Also, I love Moira, even if I'm the only one here.) Even though the personalities and back-stories of the characters don't always drive the plot, having them come up every once in a while makes me feel more connected to the game. And that's what the newer games do better than the old ones in my opinion, not the creativity behind the characters in general, which was always there, just executed poorly.

Top Bottom