• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 5 Is RE5 on PS4 good for single player?

Meg

So bin ich eben
I ask because I stayed away from the game so far because I like to play by myself and I heard the AI for Sheva is terrible. Is this still the case or did they fix it? I'm hesitant to give this game a try otherwise. :/

Turo602

The King of Kings
Honestly, it all comes down to how you play. I've never had any issues with the AI in the game. I feel like people just suck at the game so they blame her and say that the AI is terrible when they're the ones probably playing recklessly and not commanding her and watching her back. It's the same story with Ashley in RE4. It's also important that you know how to manage inventory as well.

Airaku

Stray Jedi
Honestly, it all comes down to how you play. I've never had any issues with the AI in the game. I feel like people just suck at the game so they blame her and say that the AI is terrible when they're the ones probably playing recklessly and not commanding her and watching her back. It's the same story with Ashley in RE4. It's also important that you know how to manage inventory as well.

This is how I feel as well. Sheva has some of the best co-op AI that I've seen in any game last gen. Comparing it to Gears of War, Army of Two, Left4Dead, and many others. Sheva's AI is a god send and shows other games how it's done. With all my play through. I still try to find where she gets in the way or ****s up a lot. Sure there are moments, but it's very good in comparison to other games. Hell, I don't even recall her every blocking a door which prevents player progression. In those cases you need to sneak past, shoot the enemy, or even restart a checkpoint. While the AI is good in the Killzone games. This happens all the time. CoD had that issue except if you kill your ally you fail the mission. Which forces you to restart in those areas.

Reactions: Hel

Turo602

The King of Kings
This is how I feel as well. Sheva has some of the best co-op AI that I've seen in any game last gen. Comparing it to Gears of War, Army of Two, Left4Dead, and many others. Sheva's AI is a god send and shows other games how it's done. With all my play through. I still try to find where she gets in the way or ****s up a lot. Sure there are moments, but it's very good in comparison to other games. Hell, I don't even recall her every blocking a door which prevents player progression. In those cases you need to sneak past, shoot the enemy, or even restart a checkpoint. While the AI is good in the Killzone games. This happens all the time. CoD had that issue except if you kill your ally you fail the mission. Which forces you to restart in those areas.

I wouldn't go that far now. Resident Evil 6 had far better partner AI and I also don't recall having trouble with the AI in Gears of War.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
Glad I'm not the only one who thinks the AI isn't that bad in RE5. I remember when I first played that game, I was new to that third-person shooter / over-the-shoulder gameplay, and I totally sucked. I wouldn't have made it past the executioner encounter if not for Sheva, who never stopped helping me, even when I was unable to do the same for her. So here's a little Q&A based on my experiences:

Q: Sheva snatches every item from under my nose!
A: Ask for it back. I've never encountered a case where she refused to give me something from her inventory.

Q: Sheva asks for ammo all the time!
A: There are various ways to avoid this problem, for example by having her use different weapons - I recommend rifles, they kill the common enemies in one shot and she rarely misses. Also, she won't stop helping you if you don't give her what she wants, so just ignore it if you're low on ammo. She will quietly fall back on the knife eventually, or the stun rod if she has one (which might be another option worth considering for her, but I haven't tried it yet).

Q: Sheva kills everything and leaves nothing for me / doesn't do anything in a fight!
A: Alternate between her Attack and Cover behaviours. Both have easily noticeable advantages and disadvantages, and both work better in some situations than in others. So just be smart about it.

Q: Sheva never saves me in time when I'm hurt or dying!
A: Try to stay together. Of course she can't reach you from the other end of the world. If that is your main problem, have her on Cover most of the time (which is, if I'm not mistaken, the default setting anyway). Also, try playing RE6 for a while, where your partner pretty much doesn't give a $hit about you dying. Your appreciation of Sheva will increase greatly after that - except if you're playing on Professional. In my experience, it is actually impossible to be saved from dying by the AI on Pro, but I guess the point of the highest difficulty is to make you extra-careful.

Q: Sheva stands in the way when I try to shoot enemies!
A: Turn Attack Reaction off and improve your aim.

Q: I hate Sheva, she's such a stupid character because of her AI!
A: Then prepare to hate Chris too when you play through the game again as Sheva, because he isn't any different. In fact, I think he's even worse, as I have encountered problems with him as the AI that I never had with Sheva. And Chris is a fan favourite, so think before you judge an entire character based on their behaviour as an AI.

In general: Just try to assess every situation and react accordingly. If you're facing the Chainsaw Majini, common sense should tell you that setting Sheva on him with nothing but a stun rod is a bad idea. Also, try to look at her bright side: She has a 100% success rate in QTEs, her gatling gun in the savanna level doesn't seem to overheat, crocodiles completely ignore her, and after unlocking the Who Do You Trust? achievement, she will give you adorable smiles when idle.

Meg

So bin ich eben
This sounds great guys, thank you!

It sounds to me like a lot of the people who complained about the AI don't play a lot of third person shooters to compare it with (which makes sense as RE had previously not been about that). I'll have to give this game a chance now. THANK YOU!

Airaku

Stray Jedi
I wouldn't go that far now. Resident Evil 6 had far better partner AI and I also don't recall having trouble with the AI in Gears of War.

The problem with the AI in Gears of War is that they really don't do anything. It feels like they are just there to give a player a sense of team work and for fun. They don't really hold their own and don't provide much in terms of combat imo. They don't take away a whole lot of kills from the player. Where in the RE games they do. They feel more real as they can hold their own in some situations. You get a sense that they have your back.

I'm not hating on Gears of War. I loved the original trilogy and played the **** out of it. And I mean played the **** out of it. The stats aren't very accurate because I play waaay more matches of GoW and even more of GoW2. It says I played GoW3 the most.... which I'm pretty damn sure isn't true.

Gotta love my 2.12 K/D. in Gears 3 though :3
https://gearsofwar.com/en-us/stats/gears-of-war-3/xbox-360/service-records/players/airaku69

@Hel
That was a great post! Awesome things you've pointed out that needed to be said. Your points actually very much explains why Sheva is one of the better AI partner's as I've also stated above. She doesn't miss very much in comparison of other games with AI partners. Thank you for brining this to the table.

Turo602

The King of Kings
The problem with the AI in Gears of War is that they really don't do anything. It feels like they are just there to give a player a sense of team work and for fun. They don't really hold their own and don't provide much in terms of combat imo. They don't take away a whole lot of kills from the player. Where in the RE games they do. They feel more real as they can hold their own in some situations. You get a sense that they have your back.

I'm not hating on Gears of War. I loved the original trilogy and played the **** out of it. And I mean played the **** out of it. The stats aren't very accurate because I play waaay more matches of GoW and even more of GoW2. It says I played GoW3 the most.... which I'm pretty damn sure isn't true.

Gotta love my 2.12 K/D. in Gears 3 though :3
https://gearsofwar.com/en-us/stats/gears-of-war-3/xbox-360/service-records/players/airaku69

Well, that's kind of the point. If you're going to play by yourself, computers shouldn't be taking the fun away from you. It wasn't bad AI, they were programmed that way for a reason. Just like in the first Revelations where your partner would give the illusion that they're doing something yet they weren't really doing much damage so that they don't hinder your experience. Even with RE5, I can see why people do find the AI partner annoying. While it isn't a problem to me, if you're playing by yourself you shouldn't have to be too concerned about compensating for a lack of a human partner by constantly managing them which is exactly why Revelations and RE6 fixed those issues. Also, in my experience, Sheva never really offered much in terms of combat as I'm usually the one killing everybody. If you manage her right, she's just extra inventory space more than anything.

black 93

The AI thing was blown a little out of proportion. It's no where near as bad as everyone says, but if Sheva ( or Chris) get a little too trigger happy, just do what i do. Give them a stun rod, and use them as storage. Give them a gun when the situation calls for it ( like hitting a switch) but they defend themselves pretty well with a stun rod. I can understand that not working for everybody, but it does for me. It's not like you need your partner all that much anyway, since it's pretty much just the player killing everything. I usually play as Chris, and Sheva might shoot enemies at times, but she very rarely gets there before me. All i use Sheva for is to carry more items or to revive me.

KevinStriker

"Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?"
Usually on New Game+, I use Sheva like a pack mule too. She just hold health items and I give her an infinite ammo handgun or her bow and arrow.

During a New Game, only difference is she gets a machine gun and ammo as well as health items.

BeatTheGG

The true last hope.
Honestly I never play RE5 on my own. I can only enjoy it in co-op with a friend. This is what helps me see past it as a Resident Evil game and just as a admittedly nice shooter with infestations walking around. My brother and I usually spend hours just getting in eachothers way and screwing the other over by snatching the latter or not completing a puzzle that requires cooperation.

berto

I Saw the Devil
I just beat RE5 on the PS4 by myself the other day. I remember the AI been far worse than what it is now. I got annoyed with Chris a few times but it was never a killer problem.

TJay

Premium
I know this thread is a good six months old now but it caught my attention because I've been playing RE5 solo for the past week or so on PS4.

The only time I have a real problem with the A.I. is if there is a larger/stronger enemy among a hoard of regular enemies and the partner character is set to "ATTACK". The partner character tends not to move out of the way of the larger enemy, including reloading right in front of them, resulting in getting smooshed by a hammer or such awful fate. The way I found to remedy this is simply set them to "COVER" until the battle is over.

As others have pointed out, the A.I. is generally worse for Chris than it is for Sheva. He can at times be a bit sluggish.

However, I've found that giving the partner character different types of weapons to what you're carrying seems to quell a lot of the common complaints. They will collect and use their own ammo and usually hand over any ammo that you need without request. If it's a first play through or "New Game", I do suggest giving Sheva a stun rod as early as possible, at times when ammo conservation is needed she will switch to the stun rod when set to "COVER". She will guard you and use the stun rod on any enemies that get too close for the most part (this is not as effective with Chris he tends to ready the stun rod and not use it in my experience).

Obviously if you're in a position where you have infinite ammo, all the better.

A well thought out balance of weapons and health items to compliment your play style, can actually make the partner character a real boon and not even the slightest hindrance.

Peep

Something Horrible
Honestly, I never had very many problems with the AI. The only thing that I had a problem with was it seemed Sheva liked to use up all her ammo, and I've counted at least 3 times where I'm well-equipped, and then I look at Sheva, and she's literally got 0 handgun rounds and an herb, lol. I also noticed that usually it doesn't matter how much equipment she has, she still can easily hold her own, to the point where I don't even notice she has so little ammo. I'm also pretty sure she doesn't use grenades, so I kinda used her as a pack rat most of the time. Just give her a sniper rifle, plenty of ammo for it and maybe some handgun rounds. It's probably a good idea to give her some healing items too, because she tends to get screwed up by dynamite majini, and she will normally help you out whenever she can. She's pretty good at avoiding danger, too. I remember once when I was fighting a chainsaw majini and I would just keep running past him and shoot him while he was recovering from his missed chainsaw attacks (I was in a really tight spot). Sheva was there the whole time and she never died. And I don't know what people are talking about with Chris' AI being worse, I never really noticed a difference.

Also, I know you said you liked to play alone, but the servers aren't bad, unless you're playing with someone who's all the way around the world or something. Sometimes, I'll find good players who are right at the beginning waiting for a partner, and I would join them and we would play throughout the entire game. Most people playing the game are pretty good players.

blivvy

Master of unlocking...
Premium
The AI can be a bit annoying sometimes. Like say you have a red herb in your inventory and then you spot a green herb but then Sheva/Chris picks it up before you and uses it immediately... Like damn, I wanted to mix that **** :rolleyes:

HookerZombie

Fortunately the herbs and first aid sprays are plentiful in this game so I never had a problem with that. Enemies always seem to drop a health item when you are low on health anyways.

One thing I did find annoying was the inventory system. It's like they took a step backwards from the improved inventory system of Resident Evil 4 and gave you very limited space to work with making it frustrating to manage all your items (especially the ammo). They should have at least given infinite capacity for storing ammo in one slot so that it doesn't quickly take up all the inventory space.

Also Sheva and Chris don't help anything by constantly handing you useless items.

black 93

Fortunately the herbs and first aid sprays are plentiful in this game so I never had a problem with that. Enemies always seem to drop a health item when you are low on health anyways.

One thing I did find annoying was the inventory system. It's like they took a step backwards from the improved inventory system of Resident Evil 4 and gave you very limited space to work with making it frustrating to manage all your items (especially the ammo). They should have at least given infinite capacity for storing ammo in one slot so that it doesn't quickly take up all the inventory space.

Also Sheva and Chris don't help anything by constantly handing you useless items.
Iv alway's thought this too. With the sheer amount of weapons and ammo needed in RE5, the inventory is a constant struggle for me. I usually have to wait for the game to save and quit halfway through the longer chapters to get rid of stuff i dont need.

Top Bottom