• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

If You Could Change One Thing In Today's World...

JaguarsSoul

ayşegül ϟ
I haven't read everything in here, but I think it's not religion nor atheism that made the world the way it is now. It's ignorance, the idea that your ways are better than others'.
When I see ignorant people- people that deny to accept certain things- I'm like: ''Somebody please knock some sense into them.'' Because... they're maybe not ignorant, but they do deny to listen to others. And worst of all, they expect you to listen to them in return. HAHAHAHAHA no.

It also annoys me how people tolerate and disrespect each other. It doesn't matter whether you believe or not. It's the way you respect others.

Domasio

Leon Sandwich ^_^
I haven't read everything in here, but I think it's not religion nor atheism that made the world the way it is now. It's ignorance, the idea that your ways are better than others'.
When I see ignorant people- people that deny to accept certain things- I'm like: ''Somebody please knock some sense into them.'' Because... they're maybe not ignorant, but they do deny to listen to others. And worst of all, they expect you to listen to them in return. HAHAHAHAHA no.

It also annoys me how people tolerate and disrespect each other. It doesn't matter whether you believe or not. It's the way you respect others.

Totally true, but religion and atheism themselves ARE ignorant, they breed ignorant people in general. The very essence of the belief system is that (insert belief system) is the right one, therefore is ignorant. The Gods of the belief systems tell the believers to treat others as inferiors, yet at the same time saying to treat everyone nicely (love thy neighbour, yet stone people who eata pork, work on the sabbath or sleep with the same gender?!).

It's my opinion that religion was created solely to control weak people. Look at the holy books and the idea of God, anything that can be used to argue against a religious person, or can prove aspects of their books wrong, the answer is (insert God's name) works in mysterious ways...

svp

Yeah, adoption would be a great choice for the mother to make, however that still would be forcing someone to go through the entire pregnancy against their wishes.

Adoption is already a choice, so nothing would be any different, but there should never be a law forcing someone to go through the full pregnancy. If there was a law against abortion, then the women would just go elsewhere, to a person without the proper skills to do it, a black-market abortion if you will. Or they would go down the route a lot of people do, and force a miscarriage through alcohol, drug use, or extreme options (such as a friend of mine decided to do) and bash their stomach against something.
well then I guess that women should of been smart enough to use protection in the first place, I believe that unless it is a rape victim, the individual or couple should be responsible to follow through with the gift "God" gave them.

L

Lurker
well then I guess that women should of been smart enough to use protection in the first place, I believe that unless it is a rape victim, the individual or couple should be responsible to follow through with the gift "God" gave them.
Please. Don't bring religion into this. Think about it this way: If you were going to have a child you did not want because, for example, the protection breaks, what would you want your girlfriend / wife to go through? A painful birth or a very less painful surgical abortion? It's going to happen, keeping it legal will keep it from killing the mother. At around 5-6 months, the fetus starts feeling pain. I'm sure if you want an abortion it will be long before that.

Domasio

Leon Sandwich ^_^

Alright ok, your opinion is worth hearing, everyone feels differently.

However, it is a gift from the Universe, not any God, in fact you could even go as crude to say it isn't a gift, just a by-product of sexy-time ;)

Also, yes, if they didn't use protection intentionally, then they should have at least thought it through, however that doesn't give anyone the right to say "you can't do that now! Too late!"

Reactions: svp

Orion Callisto

I want my jacket back.
If I could change one thing in today's world, as sappy as this may sound, I'd take all the prejudice away. Right now, here in the states, a land built on "freedom of choice", people like me are fighting just for the right to marry. Now, that's not the only thing, just one example, but hell, it is utterly ridiculous. That people can discriminate against others and be right. This needs to end. And, for the current discussion, I believe in faith. Not religion. One can have a religion without faith, therefore defeating the purpose. Faith is simply a means to an end, the ability to believe in something that lifts your spirit, whether that be God or Buddha or simply science or lack thereof, et cetera, et cetera. To quote Shephard Book from Firefly; "I don't care what you believe in, as long as you believe in something."

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
Priorities. (That goes for individuals, governments, religions, etc.)

Hate to say it but most people today either just don't have them or they're the wrong ones. Start putting what's important first and you'll find life would be a heck of a lot easier.

Domasio

Leon Sandwich ^_^
If I could change one thing in today's world, as sappy as this may sound, I'd take all the prejudice away. Right now, here in the states, a land built on "freedom of choice", people like me are fighting just for the right to marry. Now, that's not the only thing, just one example, but hell, it is utterly ridiculous. That people can discriminate against others and be right. This needs to end. And, for the current discussion, I believe in faith. Not religion. One can have a religion without faith, therefore defeating the purpose. Faith is simply a means to an end, the ability to believe in something that lifts your spirit, whether that be God or Buddha or simply science or lack thereof, et cetera, et cetera. To quote Shephard Book from Firefly; "I don't care what you believe in, as long as you believe in something."

I agree that a world without prejudice would be great. Faith isn't exactly a good thing though, it's definition is believing in something without any evidence. This is the one thing I find good about atheists, is the fact that they hold faith accountable for what it is: unintentional stupidity.

In reality unbelief and faith are both ridiculous, really you can only be in an intermediary position, where you are just not sure whether something exists, and you can only make that decision when there is evidence suggesting that something either does, or does not exist. To say you have faith is to declare that evidence doesn't matter, that you will believe in something whether it is proven or not, and unbelief is the same thing.

Even recently, Richard Dawkins, as militant in his atheism as he usually is, has had the integrity to admit that he can never really be sure until there is evidence, therefore although saying he is an atheist, his admittance makes him agnostic, which is all everybody can ever be, until you die, even then if nothing happens, you will never know.

We could all be doomed to agnosticism :p

Orion Callisto

I want my jacket back.
Then, an addendum: Belief is important. I am by no means a religious man, I'm openly agnostic. Though more because what I am is undefined. The closest to religion that I get is that I believe in the teachings of Christ-whether or not he is the son of some deity, his teachings (which are common sense anyaway,) are applicable. And they simply support being a good person. Something i believe heavily in. The afterlife, whether it exists or not, is of no importance. I simply want to do right by my fellow man.

Reactions: svp

Domasio

Leon Sandwich ^_^
Then, an addendum: Belief is important. I am by no means a religious man, I'm openly agnostic. Though more because what I am is undefined. The closest to religion that I get is that I believe in the teachings of Christ-whether or not he is the son of some deity, his teachings (which are common sense anyaway,) are applicable. And they simply support being a good person. Something i believe heavily in. The afterlife, whether it exists or not, is of no importance. I simply want to do right by my fellow man.

But you can't believe in teachings, you can live by them, you don't believe in principals, they exist, therefore belief in them is invalid, they are there whether we like it or not, it's just a choice of which principals or teachings you live by.

That's the point, you logically cannot believe in something without evidence of it's existence, you can just say that you do.

Angel

I make good toast
Admin
Premium
I think we're getting off the original subject matter here a little. And with religion and beliefs being in the firing line, it's probably best to make this a private discussion if you so wish to continue it. These sorts of topics never manage well and can cause a lot of friction so let's try not to steer the whole thread into a religious discussion, if that's ok.

On topic: If I could change one thing in today's world it would be that winter was cold and summer was warm and not some weird combination of the two all year round.

Domasio

Leon Sandwich ^_^
I think we're getting off the original subject matter here a little. And with religion and beliefs being in the firing line, it's probably best to make this a private discussion if you so wish to continue it. These sorts of topics never manage well and can cause a lot of friction so let's try not to steer the whole thread into a religious discussion, if that's ok.

On topic: If I could change one thing in today's world it would be that winter was cold and summer was warm and not some weird combination of the two all year round.

Logged.

svp

Please. Don't bring religion into this. Think about it this way: If you were going to have a child you did not want because, for example, the protection breaks, what would you want your girlfriend / wife to go through? A painful birth or a very less painful surgical abortion? It's going to happen, keeping it legal will keep it from killing the mother. At around 5-6 months, the fetus starts feeling pain. I'm sure if you want an abortion it will be long before that.
i respect your opinion, I think I came off wrong in my interpretation. I am not implying that God is the only reason we have the privilege of child birth. I am just saying what I believe in, not forcing it upon others, you all have to freedom to believe what you want. In my opinion, God and science are combined in the child birth process. After all, we all do not know if God is real...But it is the "hope" that drives us in having a life worth living. It isnt arguable to say that religion has caused many disasters and wars, but that is only because we have something to fight for. If there wasn't various beliefs.....what will be left to hope for and lead us in the right direction? :) sure it has harsh laws, but those laws helped establish our government to control the kayos of other "nonreligious" nations. I also know that Religion has a lot of ignorance to it as well, ex: our gov. is using the Bible as an excuse to condemn gay marriage. That is flat out wrong because it doesn't accurately state the God hates Gays in the Bible nor does it imply proof. My argument goes both ways. I am in fact a person who stands up for what I believe is right. You cant try to change what ppl are born with. Rant ended

L

Lurker
After all, we all do not know if God is real...But it is the "hope" that drives us in having a life worth living.
Atheists also have a hope: to get the most out of the one life they live. What you're implying is that every non-religious person is depressed to the point of suicide.

svp

Atheists also have a hope: to get the most out of the one life they live. What you're implying is that every non-religious person is depressed to the point of suicide.
no I did not imply it that way at all, if you are a depressed Atheist I feel great sympathy for you. I am simply just stating what I believe in, If you are offended by my response I am sure we can work things out. ;)

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
Hmmm. Hmm? I'm not completely sure, but I might want to change the year to 4000 BC again. All the problems mentioned so far, happened at a later stage. Maybe we need a second chance.

L

Lurker
Hmmm. Hmm? I'm not completely sure, but I might want to change the year to 4000 BC again. All the problems mentioned so far, happened at a later stage. Maybe we need a second chance.
Why stop there? Let's all become dinosaurs!

Top Bottom