• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 4 Help To Fix Controls...

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
First of all damn, haven't been here in a while. But anyway, some time ago I bought the RE1 remaster cause I had never played the franchise and, since I was lacking any single player games to get into, I wanted to finally experience RE. But it wasn't really the kind of game for me, it became apparent that, due to how the enemy "spawns" are handled, and the limited number of saves available, I had to dedicate a lot more time and effort to it than I could afford, due to university commitments and stuff. Also the controls, even using the modern settings, were pretty terrabad. I gave up on it soon enough.

But then again, I had always heard how RE4 was like a new start for the franchise, where it started to modernize itself so I thought hey, maybe that is more of a game for me. But being still a bit wary, I first wanted to try it out at a friend's place before buying it for myself. It is more immediate cause there are checkpoints and you can save at typewriters as many times as you want but holy hell are the controls still a pain in the backside. I don't know how and why anyone at Capcom could think it would be a brilliant idea to bind A and D to turning instead of strafing. That's what the mouse is for, you donkeys! Not being able to shoot while moving is also dumb but I can understand the reasoning behind it, somewhat. This though, I really can't. They allow you to turn the camera but not the actual character, I'm like wha... What?!

Now, rant aside, I saw that there is a modern setting in this remaster too but it doesn't seem to change the controls to the more sensible "A/D for strafing, mouse for turning" scheme. Yet I swear I've heard people and reviews say it IS an option in the game. Am I missing some settings or something? I really wanna get and enjoy this game but these controls are making it so uncomfortable to play for me, so if anyone could tell me whether or not I can change them to the standard, modern third person scheme, that would be great. Keep in mind I'd play it on PC so even if there are no setting, but there is some mod or workaround that achieves the same goal, that's fine with me too. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

mjk321

First of all damn, haven't been here in a while. But anyway, some time ago I bought the RE1 remaster cause I had never played the franchise and, since I was lacking any single player games to get into, I wanted to finally experience RE. But it wasn't really the kind of game for me, it became apparent that, due to how the enemy "spawns" are handled, and the limited number of saves available, I had to dedicate a lot more time and effort to it than I could afford, due to university commitments and stuff. Also the controls, even using the modern settings, were pretty terrabad. I gave up on it soon enough.

But then again, I had always heard how RE4 was like a new start for the franchise, where it started to modernize itself so I thought hey, maybe that is more of a game for me. But being still a bit wary, I first wanted to try it out at a friend's place before buying it for myself. It is more immediate cause there are checkpoints and you can save at typewriters as many times as you want but holy hell are the controls still a pain in the backside. I don't know how and why anyone at Capcom could think it would be a brilliant idea to bind A and D to turning instead of strafing. That's what the mouse is for, you donkeys! Not being able to shoot while moving is also dumb but I can understand the reasoning behind it, somewhat. This though, I really can't. They allow you to turn the camera but not the actual character, I'm like wha... What?!

Now, rant aside, I saw that there is a modern setting in this remaster too but it doesn't seem to change the controls to the more sensible "A/D for strafing, mouse for turning" scheme. Yet I swear I've heard people and reviews say it IS an option in the game. Am I missing some settings or something? I really wanna get and enjoy this game but these controls are making it so uncomfortable to play for me, so if anyone could tell me whether or not I can change them to the standard, modern third person scheme, that would be great. Keep in mind I'd play it on PC so even if there are no setting, but there is some mod or workaround that achieves the same goal, that's fine with me too. Thanks in advance.

since this is an RE that's a bridge between the old REs and the new ones, it still had the tank controls and anchoring you in the spot where you aim. currently downloading the game to check if there's a way the control scheme to what you want but I don't think there's gonna be one.
also, since it was made for consoles, they made the left stick for the tank controls and right stick for aiming (you can see that you can't turn the camera around without aiming). best advice is to get used to the tank controls and play how RE4 wants to you to play it. aim, fire at head (sometimes leg), run towards stunned enemy, kick (if you have the time, knife him a couple of times), reposition, repeat. use quick turn when you need to back up quickly. enjoy!

Top Bottom