• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Forum look

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
To me, the white makes it seem more RE-like in a way. White is one of Umbrella's colors anyways. I'm sure Steve will get everything worked out, and I'm looking forward to seeing what he has in store for us :)
Very insightful, Tremor, I never even thought of it that way. (And their bio-weapon research department is called White Umbrella after all, lol.)

Steve

Fearfully and wonderfully made
Admin
Outdated in what way? Could you not change the color on the new template to resemble the old one?
I could, yes, but it is an extremely time consuming process. And not an enjoyable one, either. Skinning XenForo is, to my mind, quite bothersome, to put it mildly.

The new look is nice, but my problem is that it is not fitting this forum. We have always been dark and we have adapted to the lovely dark theme. Banners and layout can change without becoming a problem, but changing the forum background from very dark to white are causing problems. The biggest problem now is all the posts that have become unreadable.
Understood. This is something that crossed my mind well before uploading the new template. Thankfully, a fix can be easily and quickly applied via a database query, or by disabling the 'color' option completely. The latter not being the most ideal solution, I know, but it's hardly a feature that will be mourned over.

While the new bright colors could have been good for another forum, I don't think it does any good here. I'm sorry to say this Steve, but I am very very unhappy with this.
I won't lie - I would have preferred a darker template, too. I don't think the new look has turned out to be entirely too out of place, though, and, given the really quite grim background image, still manages to look suitable Resi-ish. In the near future I will reassess just how difficult it would be to code up a darker template.

Edit: Sorry! I completely forgot about the question regarding my 'outdated' comment. To clarify: by 'outdated' I mean that the old template was so old that it would have taken three times as long to update the code and integrate support for XenForo's newer features than it would have been to simply start from scratch - so I choose the relatively easier option: Start from scratch.

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
Steve, thanks for your answer.

Outdated in what way? Could you not change the color on the new template to resemble the old one?
I could, yes, but it is an extremely time consuming process. And not an enjoyable one, either. Skinning XenForo is, to my mind, quite bothersome, to put it mildly.
I see. I thought XenForo was so modern and user friendly compared to vBulletin. I remember you said something like "XenForo is the future". The XenForo developers who are former vBulletin people, wanted to make something better than the old software. So I'm surprised to learn that XenForo is so hard to customize.

What is it you have to do in order to make it dark again? I would imagine you just had to change some color codes. I do believe you when you say it's a lot of work, but I just don't understand why it should be so hard.
I don't have any experience with HTML templates, but Wikipedia makes it sound so easy: Style_sheet.

The new look is nice, but my problem is that it is not fitting this forum. We have always been dark and we have adapted to the lovely dark theme. Banners and layout can change without becoming a problem, but changing the forum background from very dark to white are causing problems. The biggest problem now is all the posts that have become unreadable.
Understood. This is something that crossed my mind well before uploading the new template. Thankfully, a fix can be easily and quickly applied via a database query, or by disabling the 'color' option completely. The latter not being the most ideal solution, I know, but it's hardly a feature that will be mourned over.
I think many of us appreciate the color option, so the latter option (disabling it) would cause some sad faces. The first option sounds better.

Regarding readability, there is actually one thing that is more readable now, and that is the header in quotes (where it says who originally posted the quoted message). But this small improvement can't make up for the many thousands of posts that are now unreadable. We can highlight text as Magnolia pointed out, but it's quite bothersome to do.

While the new bright colors could have been good for another forum, I don't think it does any good here. I'm sorry to say this Steve, but I am very very unhappy with this.
I won't lie - I would have preferred a darker template, too. I don't think the new look has turned out to be entirely too out of place, though, and, given the really quite grim background image, still manages to look suitable Resi-ish. In the near future I will reassess just how difficult it would be to code up a darker template.

Edit: Sorry! I completely forgot about the question regarding my 'outdated' comment. To clarify: by 'outdated' I mean that the old template was so old that it would have taken three times as long to update the code and integrate support for XenForo's newer features than it would have been to simply start from scratch - so I choose the relatively easier option: Start from scratch.
Wow, XenForo - being new and all - already have elements that are outdated. How can that be? :confused:

--------------------------------------------------

1) This community has endured much the past 9 months. First, on March 10th 2011, the change from vBulletin to XenForo caused the loss of more than 50% of the threads. We were that much castrated then, and now we have to endure another drastic big-impact change. The unreadable content is still here, technically, but the loss of contrast and readability is a loss nevertheless. After our heavy loss in the near past, I don't think we can afford to lose more.

2) If we disregard colored fonts in earlier posts and loss of readability in old posts for a moment:
Black font on white background is harder on the eyes than bright font on dark background. This is another reason why the dark background was better for the eyes. It's not only about the posts with custom bright colors, although they are the biggest problem now.

Steve

Admin
Steve, thanks for your answer.
No problem-o! :)

I see. I thought XenForo was so modern and user friendly compared to vBulletin. I remember you said something like "XenForo is the future". The XenForo developers who are former vBulletin people, wanted to make something better than the old software. So I'm surprised to learn that XenForo is so hard to customize.
I have no doubt in my mind that the migration over to XenForo was the best thing to do, and I still believe that "XenForo is the future" -- although I do not recall saying those exact words -- and I'm so much more satisfied with this new software than I was with vBulletin.

Just for clarification: I did not say skinning XenForo was "hard," I said it was "time consuming" - as it would be for skinning most applications. Whereas XenForo is "time consuming," vBulletin is, well, much more so. So, while still not nearly perfect, XenForo is still superior this regard, in my opinion.

What is it you have to do in order to make it dark again? I would imagine you just had to change some color codes. I do believe you when you say it's a lot of work, but I just don't understand why it should be so hard.
I don't have any experience with HTML templates, but Wikipedia makes it sound so easy: Style_sheet.
Yes, that is, for the most part, correct. Much of the work required would consist of altering colour codes. But "far too much to be worth my attention" would be more accurate than "some". The way XenForo handles templates (much like most modern database-driven applications) revolves around a system that is, to the company's credit, extremely easy for less code-savvy users to tweak basic colours, but mind-numbingly monotonous to do the sort of things I would like to do.

I think many of us appreciate the color option, so the latter option (disabling it) would cause some sad faces. The first option sounds better.
Understood. I really wouldn't want to in any way limit the community's posting options. My reason to move over to XenForo was partially down to being able to allow more freedom and customization for the users, so the choice to disable a feature would be a last resort.

Regarding readability, there is actually one thing that is more readable now, and that is the header in quotes (where it says who originally posted the quoted message). But this small improvement can't make up for the many thousands of posts that are now unreadable. We can highlight text as Magnolia pointed out, but it's quite bothersome to do.
Unreadable for the time being, perhaps. As soon as I have decided the best way to go about rectifying the situation (two methods having been mentioned in a previous post), then this will no longer be an issue.

Wow, XenForo - being new and all - already have elements that are outdated. How can that be? :confused:
Perhaps I explained poorly - the old template was outdated, not XenForo.

This community has endured much the past 9 months. First, on March 10th 2011, the change from vBulletin to XenForo caused the loss of more than 50% of the threads.
The loss of so many threads (I could not realistically put a figure or percentage on it, but I highly doubt it was anywhere close to 50%) was a catastrophe. I was mightily displeased by how XenForo Support handled the situation, but, the way I see it, we can either say "screw it" and abandon the place or carry on and not let this bring us down. I know which one I've chosen.

We were that much castrated then, and now we have to endure another drastic big-impact change. The unreadable content is still here, technically, but the loss of contrast and readability is a loss nevertheless. After our heavy loss in the near past, I don't think we can afford to lose more.
I'm afraid that I must respectfully disagree with this new template being a "drastic" or "big-impact" change to the forum; I also don't believe that the new look should in any way hinder a user's posting experience. If anything, it should improve it -- if only slightly -- given the number of bugs squashed as a result of XenForo's maturing. I can empathise with those that prefer the look of the old skin, though.

I feel I've said all that I can say right now regarding the situation with certain posts being temporarily illegible due to different colour fonts; it's a trivial problem which can be remedied very, very easily. I only ask that I be granted some time to decide how best to pursue this. There are multiple solutions -- each of which being very straightforward -- but I would not like to jump into this without doing my homework first.

Black font on white background is harder on the eyes than bright font on dark background. This is another reason why the dark background was better for the eyes. It's not only about the posts with custom bright colors, although they are the biggest problem now.
I would say that is entirely down to the user's preference, more than anything. Personally, I find darker text on a light background to be the ideal reading format for me, but I understand that this will not be the case for everybody. I will look into finding a satisfactory middle ground for everybody.

Hoady

This is much better in my opinion.Its got colour, its not so dull with all that grey.

To be picky my very favourite was the first style but things gotta evolve i guess.

Steve

Admin
This is much better in my opinion.Its got colour, its not so dull with all that grey.

To be picky my very favourite was the first style but things gotta evolve i guess.
Oh man. I remember that one. At least, I think I do. We're talking about the one from when the forum was first started, yeah? When we were still using SMF? If so: you have a very good memory, Hoady!

ProflicDream

I haven't been on here for a while and got so confused! I thought I was at the wrong forum, but I actually really enjoy the new look. Though I must say I prefer RE4 to RE5 :p

Hoady

Oh man. I remember that one. At least, I think I do. We're talking about the one from when the forum was first started, yeah? When we were still using SMF? If so: you have a very good memory, Hoady!

Yeah the first one, it was a totally different 'brand'.Fonts,smileys,layouts etc.Lol thanks steve

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
Yes, that is, for the most part, correct. Much of the work required would consist of altering colour codes. But "far too much to be worth my attention" would be more accurate than "some". The way XenForo handles templates (much like most modern database-driven applications) revolves around a system that is, to the company's credit, extremely easy for less code-savvy users to tweak basic colours, but mind-numbingly monotonous to do the sort of things I would like to do.
I figured it would take just a few hours but I have no clue. Do you remember how many days of work it took when you coded the current template about 9 months ago? (It sounds to me like it's not something you can do in just one day.)

Perhaps I explained poorly - the old template was outdated, not XenForo.
Okay, I counted the template as part of the XenForo software, now I understand it's not the case. I don't even know why or how a template gets outdated. The geek in me hopes to learn this some day.

I'm afraid that I must respectfully disagree with this new template being a "drastic" or "big-impact" change to the forum
From a technical point of view it's probably not a drastic or big impact change, but visually it is as different as night and day.

I only ask that I be granted some time to decide how best to pursue this. There are multiple solutions -- each of which being very straightforward -- but I would not like to jump into this without doing my homework first.
I appreciate knowing that. :)

Top Bottom