• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Do you consider RE Games as RPGs?

Are Resident Evil games RPGs?

• Total voters

potato

I mean i've come across a board where a member holds a strong belief based on his on definition of RPG that Resident Evil 1 , 2 & to an extent 3 (but less so) is considered as RPGs, the same way Silent Hill and Tomb Raider are. He believes that an RPG always involve playing a role, going on missions & solving puzzles, with strong storyline & lots of journals to collect & read up. Well i was honestly shocked to see such definition on RPGs and mentioned about core elements that makes up a game a RPG (exp/level up) and clarified that at most RE4 & beyond can be considered as Action RPGs seeing the fact you collect money (exp) to upgrade your weapons & defense (level up), and in no way RE1,2,3,CVX can be considered as RPG unless the RPG is defined as Rocket Propelled Grenade which in fact would make RE RPG oriented.

Now the rest of the members start to make post about me being absurd and calls me a troll as usual.

Since obviously they are just casual long time fans more into the style, i am wondering anyone of you folks also think the same and consider RE 1,2,3 as Role Action Games? I would call RE4 & beyond Action RPGs but i don't see how older series can be considered as 1.

WeskerWanter

Hard Dog
I'm going with no. I'd say the standard of what an RPG is to me is Dragon Age Origins. I would never describe RE as an RPG series. If you define RPG as playing the role of a character then you may as well call almost every video game an RPG.

LEON.S.KENNEDY

GAMER MERIT
I'm going with no. I'd say the standard of what an RPG is to me is Dragon Age Origins. I would never describe RE as an RPG series. If you define RPG as playing the role of a character then you may as well call almost every video game an RPG.
you got a point i agree

ToCool74

Veteran Member
RE4 on up had rpg elements such as being able to level up weapons and abilities, but neither are rpgs at their heart, there action adventure games at their core.

And 0,1,2,3, and Code Veronica are definitely excluded from this.

LEON.S.KENNEDY

GAMER MERIT
This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Whoever made that comment is a dumbass and doesn't know what the hell defines a genre. Inventory screens and upgrades aren't exclusive to RPGs. That's like calling every game with a gun a shooter or every game with jumping a platformer.
hhhhhhhhhh dame right now that what im trying to explain it in simple words....congrats

potato

This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Whoever made that comment is a dumbass and doesn't know what the hell defines a genre. Inventory screens and upgrades aren't exclusive to RPGs. That's like calling every game with a gun a shooter or every game with jumping a platformer.

Well i tried to understand why the person though that way and i understood from his explanation based on his self definition of RPG, but after i tried to explain what is & isn't, i get all the negative replies from many users, saying i'm trolling and the guy felt that my words insulted him. What i said was something like if you happen to go to the game store asking for recommendations for RPGs you aren't gonna get something like RE, SH or Alien Isolation but instead something like Zelda, Mario RPG & Final Fantasy. He says he's not that dumb and if he wants to look for a game he'd use the internet to check them out. I know there's a big potential the guy's trolling, but i though why not just see if anyone else outside the board thinks RE's an RPG for real. Some folks just couldn't accept what they don't agree on. It's funny though.

I joked about Super Mario 3 & Rockman also qualifies as RPG. Now i felt bad.

Top Bottom