• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Chris & Jill: Friend Zoned or Not?

JohnP

Since Capcom won't tell us, we've gotta take things into our own hands. Resident Evil Fans.. ASSEMBLE! Let us know how YOU feel! Are they or aren't they?!

Read, Vote and Share by going to MoviePilot and searching for "Chris and Jill"

Thanks!

ToCool74

Veteran Member
I think they are more like brother and sister.

Agreed with this ^^^

Seems like they have more of a close brother and sister type of deal, neither one ever gave off the impression that they where romantically interested in one another.

JohnP

Hm... I can see it both ways. A part of my thinks that they're secretly hooking up, with Chris being the manly not into PDA type guy. But I can def see the brother sister relationship as well. Guess Capcom kinda left that up in the air for us fans to decide haha Same issue with Leon and the ladies too imo, not too clear at all

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
I see it being both ways. They could be together on a more personal level away from work or they could just be really good friends. Some of the events they've been through together, especially some of the endings for the original Resident Evil, allude to a relationship but are ambiguous enough that they could be construed as "just friends."

I honestly think that Capcom is keeping the true nature of their relationship a secret on purpose just to keep players in suspense and playing to find out what happens. Either that or they creators/writers are indecisive and change too often to really set up a stable view of the relationship.

Much like comic books. The writers change so often, and each writer has their own opinions and feelings about each character and situation that it's almost impossible to create a long-lasting relationship because everyone feels so differently. Even if one person sets up something in one book/issue - or in this case, game - unless they're writing the character for a long period of time, another writer will immediately come in and retcon what they last author did to suit their own means.

To be honest, we'll probably never know for sure.

JohnP

I see it being both ways. They could be together on a more personal level away from work or they could just be really good friends. Some of the events they've been through together, especially some of the endings for the original Resident Evil, allude to a relationship but are ambiguous enough that they could be construed as "just friends."

I honestly think that Capcom is keeping the true nature of their relationship a secret on purpose just to keep players in suspense and playing to find out what happens. Either that or they creators/writers are indecisive and change too often to really set up a stable view of the relationship.

Much like comic books. The writers change so often, and each writer has their own opinions and feelings about each character and situation that it's almost impossible to create a long-lasting relationship because everyone feels so differently. Even if one person sets up something in one book/issue - or in this case, game - unless they're writing the character for a long period of time, another writer will immediately come in and retcon what they last author did to suit their own means.

To be honest, we'll probably never know for sure.
^ You hit the nail right on the head. I think they'll leave it ambiguous for good so fans keep guessing (and buying/playing)

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
The original RE1 was my first RE game (although it was RE3 that originally caught my attention), and when I saw Chris and Jill, I expected them to be a couple, either right from the start or by the end of the game. Isn't it always like that? Almost every TV show, movie or game starring a male and a female lead ends up shipping them sooner or later. And those two were roughly the same age, they looked alright together, so I thought, why not? But when I played the game, I realised they didn't really spend much time together, and the little interaction they had didn't seem romantic to me. It became even less "romantic" in later games, so I agree with the brother/sister thing.

People in favour of Valenfield keep bringing up the reunion scene in RE5 where Chris cradles Jill in his arms, but that doesn't mean anything to me either because Jill was weak at the time and had just gone through hell, and it's Chris we're talking about, he just loves touching people and does it all the time. In the Remake, he gets close to Rebecca and grabs her shoulders every time he sees her (it gets ridiculous after a while), and also holds Richard's hand and strokes his cheek as if they were lovers, yet I never see anyone shipping Chris with either of them. It's clear that Jill means a lot to him and vice versa, and I can see why given how much they've been through, but a romance? Not so much.

I think the closest thing we have to an "official" couple in this series is LeonXAda, who kissed at the end of RE2's canon scenario. Sure, a kiss doesn't mean they're in a relationship, it also doesn't mean they're going to be together forever and marry and have children, but it does mean there's some kind of attraction, and I don't see that between Chris and Jill. But I guess the relationships in RE are like the stories of the Bible; you can read into them whatever you want and even find "proof" for your assumption if you just look hard enough.

JohnP

The original RE1 was my first RE game (although it was RE3 that originally caught my attention), and when I saw Chris and Jill, I expected them to be a couple, either right from the start or by the end of the game. Isn't it always like that? Almost every TV show, movie or game starring a male and a female lead ends up shipping them sooner or later. And those two were roughly the same age, they looked alright together, so I thought, why not? But when I played the game, I realised they didn't really spend much time together, and the little interaction they had didn't seem romantic to me. It became even less "romantic" in later games, so I agree with the brother/sister thing.

People in favour of Valenfield keep bringing up the reunion scene in RE5 where Chris cradles Jill in his arms, but that doesn't mean anything to me either because Jill was weak at the time and had just gone through hell, and it's Chris we're talking about, he just loves touching people and does it all the time. In the Remake, he gets close to Rebecca and grabs her shoulders every time he sees her (it gets ridiculous after a while), and also holds Richard's hand and strokes his cheek as if they were lovers, yet I never see anyone shipping Chris with either of them. It's clear that Jill means a lot to him and vice versa, and I can see why given how much they've been through, but a romance? Not so much.

I think the closest thing we have to an "official" couple in this series is LeonXAda, who kissed at the end of RE2's canon scenario. Sure, a kiss doesn't mean they're in a relationship, it also doesn't mean they're going to be together forever and marry and have children, but it does mean there's some kind of attraction, and I don't see that between Chris and Jill. But I guess the relationships in RE are like the stories of the Bible; you can read into them whatever you want and even find "proof" for your assumption if you just look hard enough.

Thanks for this. It's funny how the most likely "couple" in the series only shared a kiss haha If this were real life, non of these pairs would be couples imo. I guess if people believe hard enough, they can see something that may or may not be there. But then again Resident Evil's protagonists are relatively un-emotional as far as game characters go (see Tidus and Yuna in FFX or other JRPGs for example). But maybe they're left in that ambiguous space for the purpose of having fans guess their relationship. Who knows. But I think you made the strongest argument so far. Props.

BeatTheGG

The true last hope.
Personally I never felt like there was anything there really. They're close for sure but I never got a romantic vibe from them. It is kind of funny how Jill seems more of a sister to Chris than Claire though. No disrespect to Claire as she is still my favorite character. But yeah, I think we're looking at a friend zone here. That's fine with me as I was rooting JillxCarlos anyway lol.

Venomous Oddball

Also Known as Maddy
Chris's one true love is football.

Full disclosure: I love this playthrough.

I love them. Especially Jake.

But on topic, Chris and Jill are partners, almost like brother and sister. There's no romance between them at all, except maybe Jill does have a little crush on Chris, but nothing major.

Airaku

Stray Jedi
I think they are friend zoned and more or less have a sibling like relationship. Plus I don't think Chris has any interest in sexual relationships or girls in general. He never flirts or has any display of interests in the opposite sex, where as Leon, Claire, and a fair few others make comments and compliments on those who they have an interest in. Chris is very focused on his belief and dedication to fighting bio-terrorism. His whole existence is shaken to that core belief and I don't see him settling down for anything except justice. He has said time and time again that he is willing and will die for this cause and belief. He will fight until the end and WILL NOT live in a world where terror exists. Read on how many missions he's partaken and you'll see that he's had no time to just "hook up".

Chris is either "The 40 year old virgin" or he had his fun in high school. XD I thought it was established by the majority of RE fans that Chris has zero interests in sexual endeavors. I swear to god that he was born without that nature of his brain dysfunctional.

Venomous Oddball

Also Known as Maddy
I think they are friend zoned and more or less have a sibling like relationship. Plus I don't think Chris has any interest in sexual relationships or girls in general. He never flirts or has any display of interests in the opposite sex, where as Leon, Claire, and a fair few others make comments and compliments on those who they have an interest in. Chris is very focused on his belief and dedication to fighting bio-terrorism. His whole existence is shaken to that core belief and I don't see him settling down for anything except justice. He has said time and time again that he is willing and will die for this cause and belief. He will fight until the end and WILL NOT live in a world where terror exists. Read on how many missions he's partaken and you'll see that he's had no time to just "hook up".

Chris is either "The 40 year old virgin" or he had his fun in high school. XD I thought it was established by the majority of RE fans that Chris has zero interests in sexual endeavors. I swear to god that he was born without that nature of his brain dysfunctional.

I think him and Piers had something going on... :suggestive:

Airaku

Stray Jedi
I think him and Piers had something going on... :suggestive:

LMAO!!! I wouldn't be surprised. They were tight and Chris never had a relationship closer with any partner than Pier's. They were definitely brothers and had a deep relationship, it was quite an emotional ride for Chris. He seemed to grieve for him than he did for Jill in the moment.

I have the first 4 manga's for the prequel to RE6. I'm going to start reading them soon and Chris and Pier's are in it. It seems they have known each other for a fair amount time and have grown quite close.

Top Bottom