• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Catcalling - Just a Compliment or Degrading to Women?

Meg

So bin ich eben
I've been followed, shouted at, and hit on from afar by men of varying ages. I usually just ignore it or give them the middle finger. But this one time I got catcalled by a guy in his fifties. I'm in my early twenties. Eeeewwwwwwww

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
I've always been of the mind set that, while age means next to nothing in a loving, healthy relationship, there's a line that should be drawn when overtly hitting on a woman in public. I mean honestly there are times when, as harsh as it sounds, it really comes down to: no matter how old I look, or how young you think you are, you have no business hitting on me and you're just making a fool of yourself.

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
Is it only catcalling when the guy (or gal) shout? I don't think it's nice to shout at people and I understand that shouting causes offense.
I probably don't know what I'm talking about.

Meg

So bin ich eben
Is it only catcalling when the guy (or gal) shout? I don't think it's nice to shout at people and I understand that shouting causes offense.
I probably don't know what I'm talking about.
This is probably the most sensible thing I've ever seen on the topic.

Don't shout at people.

End of story.

ROMERO!! WOULD YOU LIKE A HUG?!!?

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
So... what is not catcalling? If a guy say "hey babe" (as I think I recall at least one guy on the video did), that's not catcalling? He was on the same sidewalk so I don't think he shouted.

What about whistling? Is that also catcalling and offending?

@Meg, Romero always likes a hug. And a little kiss on the cheek wouldn't be bad. :D

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
Good question. Last weekend I was playing frisbee with my sister in the park, and next to us a few guys were playing football. They asked if we'd like to join them, to which we said no, and when the football landed on our side and I kicked it back, one of the guys said: "Thanks, darling!" Should I feel offended now?

wolf trail

unleash the Evil within you!
Good question. Last weekend I was playing frisbee with my sister in the park, and next to us a few guys were playing football. They asked if we'd like to join them, to which we said no, and when the football landed on our side and I kicked it back, one of the guys said: "Thanks, darling!" Should I feel offended now?
No you don't darling,he said nothing bad.
Neither did I. :)

Reactions: Hel

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
So... what is not catcalling? If a guy say "hey babe" (as I think I recall at least one guy on the video did), that's not catcalling? He was on the same sidewalk so I don't think he shouted.

What about whistling? Is that also catcalling and offending?

@Meg, Romero always likes a hug. And a little kiss on the cheek wouldn't be bad. :D
Well, a good rule to keep is simply to not treat a woman the same way you'd treat a dog. I, personally, don't like being whistled at because you typically whistle at a dog to get their attention. I'm amazed that some men think that'll work for the human species.

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
Well, a good rule to keep is simply to not treat a woman the same way you'd treat a dog. I, personally, don't like being whistled at because you typically whistle at a dog to get their attention. I'm amazed that some men think that'll work for the human species.
Just like with words, also whistling can sound different and have different meanings. If it sounds as if a guy is whistling for a dog, any nearby women will probably not feel that it's for them.

My impression is that women whistle more than men. Whistling is rare though, but not as rare as catcalling.

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
Just like with words, also whistling can sound different and have different meanings. If it sounds as if a guy is whistling for a dog, any nearby women will probably not feel that it's for them.
I think you missed my point a little bit there Romero, but it's okay.

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
I'm double posting but meh.

So yesterday, I was walking through one of the malls here in Toronto, and some prick grabbed my arm and did that fake smooch thing twice at me. I don't ****ing get it. Why in the world do some men think this behaviour is okay?

I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt in that maybe there was some sort of mental illness going on. But ****. It's gross.

cheezMcNASTY

Entertain me.
Premium
I'm double posting but meh.

So yesterday, I was walking through one of the malls here in Toronto, and some prick grabbed my arm and did that fake smooch thing twice at me. I don't ****ing get it. Why in the world do some men think this behaviour is okay?

I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt in that maybe there was some sort of mental illness going on. But ****. It's gross.
Hey baby 8)
You look so fine next to that macy's.
where u going with shopping bags from sunglasses hut like that? Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I wanna know where you get those coupons gurl

What do you say we go hit it off in the food court honey yeahhhhhhhhhhh

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
I think you missed my point a little bit there Romero, but it's okay.
I'm afraid I missed the point completely, but it shouldn't surprise anyone lol. Wait, you had a point?! :p

One day that prick will do that to the wrong right woman and his next stop will be at a dentist. It's bad!

But at the same time, Femme, what if that guy had looked like Viggo Mortensen? Wouldn't you have been a bit more forgiving? ;)

Reactions: Meg

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
I don't think me being shallow has anything to do with it, to be honest. You really shouldn't put your hands on a stranger, and I was more than fair to him.

Top Bottom