• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

A nice mix of old and new ?

Masterteo89_

Hi,
first off all know that i'm one who was raised playing old RE games and , even if i tryed all of RE games, i can barely stand RE games like 4 - 5 - 6.

That said, in this days i'm playing for the first time the HD remastered version of one of my favourite RE games : RE1.

What do you think of that game ? I like it for 2 reasons.

1- it's the original game ( more or less, i only played the psx version in which the mansion was smaller and so on )

2- finally it's a game that satisfy all the fans.

And this point number 2 is the key of this topic. What do you think of the idea of Capcom ?

A - They give us the option to play with old style ( the one i'm using, you know... where right and left means that you only turn in that direction without moving).

Or we can play in a more " modern " way , that i don't like but that i bet fans of RE 4 - 5 - 6 would love.

B - They give us the option of change the screen size. I for example like way more the original screen instead of widescreen.

C - They gave us the options of Achievment to please new gamers ( i don't see the point in showing online that i can do this or that...) and they also give us the option to use both classic and modern version of the characters.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All in all, i'm pleased. I can play RE1 with way better graphic but with gameplay almost equal to how i played it in the PSx. And other people can play it in the more newer way (like RE 4 - 5 - 6 ).

This way, evryone is happy! Well done Capcom.

There is only one thing that i don't really like... BSAA version of our main characters. Come on! It's RE1, Chris and Jill do not even know what BSAA is!

I understand that newer gamers could like them more but... BSAA version of Chris and Jill it's too much an obvious fanservice for my likes.

Venomous Oddball

Also Known as Maddy
As with all RE games, I love it.

The BSAA costumes are just that though- alternate costumes. It's not like Capcom is forcing you to wear them, it's just a nice reference. Lost in Nightmares was a throwback to RE1, including the costumes, so it makes sense for them to put in their modernized outfits as a nice kind of (reverse-ish) throwback. It has nothing to do with the story of the game, it's just a new addition to the game if you like those outfits better than all the other ones. They have Jill's RE3 outfit and Chris's CV outfit, I don't see how the BSAA costumes would be more for fanservice, they're just like all other alternate costumes. It was basically up to the fans for them to be added. What's wrong with fanservice, anyway?
That's just my two cents though. :paranoid:

Masterteo89_

Nothing wrong with fanservice. It's simply that it makes no sense, plot-wise. The characters had different outfits and character design in RE1...because also the design of the characters changed from RE1 to RE 5 - 6, not only the clothes.

I mean, put them (BSAA) as bonus outfits after you end the game for the first time. That would make more sense, isn't it ?

A bonus is meant to be just that : a bonus. So as a bonus why not allowing Chris to become " by magic " his future BSAA self ?

By allowing you to use BSAA outfits and changed character design in your first gameplay, it's a paradox. ( Always thinking about plot ! )

But all in all these are minor details, not really a complaint. How is it called... nitpicking? Just pointing things as i notice them.

-------------------------------------------

Also, i'm, noticing now that hunters are somehow weaker than what they used to be. A pity, but i won't complain about that because in this remastered version there is even less ammo than in the original for PSX. So... weaker hunters are good if ammo are almost non-existent. ( And with that i mean that on normal i have only 30 shells, 18 grenades 6 flame grenades 6 acid grenades 1 self-defence gun and 12 magnum rounds and more or less 65 ammo for the gun)

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
Just out of curiosity, how do alternate costumes have anything to do with plot? The alternate costumes aren't even canon... according to RE's storyline, Jill and Chris still explore the Spenser Mansion in their STARS uniforms regardless of whether the players choose the BSAA clothing.

Lots of alternative costumes make no sense, plot-wise. It doesn't make sense for Jill to wear her RE3 clothing in RE1, it doesn't make sense for Jill to cosplay Regina in RE3, it doesn't make sense for Ashley to be wearing a suit of armour... and the list goes on and on. They are not considered canon.

Masterteo89_

I already answered your question in my last post when i said " A bonus is meant to be just that : a bonus. So as a bonus why not allowing Chris to become " by magic " his future BSAA self ? "

Alternate costumes usually are a bonus, and don't need to make sense.

But here in RE1 remastered we have BSAA costumes and character design available from the start of the game. And we know that " The BSAA was founded by Jill Valentine, Chris Redfield, Clive R. O'Brian, and a further eight others shortly after the fall of Umbrella to combat the increasing numbers of B.O.W.s being sold on the black market as a result of its collapse. " ( Source : http://residentevil.wikia.com/wiki/Bioterrorism_Security_Assessment_Alliance )

So, being able to play as BSAA is a paradox.

I have nothing against alternate costumes, i'm only saying that usually there is a reason why they are unlockable and not available from the start : alternative costumes can be silly, can be a non-sense , can be out of plot or topic of the game...

What i'm saying is that by putting BSAA available from the start, instead of as an unlockable after endgame, Capcom did a fanservice and something that goes against the plot.

How can the main characters wear the outfit of a something that not even exist ? Remember : first time you play a game, you have unlocked nothing so you follow only the plot. And a BSAA costume available from start goes against the plot.

Last edited:

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
So, being able to play as BSAA is a paradox.

I have nothing against alternate costumes, i'm only saying that usually there is a reason why they are unlockable and not available from the start : alternative costumes can be silly, can be a non-sense , can be out of plot or topic of the game...

What i'm saying is that by putting BSAA available from the start, instead of as an unlockable after endgame, Capcom did a fanservice and something that goes against the plot.

How can the main characters wear the outfit of a something that not even exist ?

But it does exist. RE 5 came out before the RE 1 HD Remaster. The BSAA costumes are not the default costumes, so I don't see how they are a paradox when both canon dictates and everyone knows Jill and Chris wear their STARS uniforms to complete the events in RE 1. If the BSAA uniforms were the default costumes, then yes you'd be absolutely right. But they are not.

I know the PC versions of RE 3 and Dino Crisis allow you to choose alternative costumes from the beginning... Capcom does seem to do this on releases that otherwise may not be as profitable. A remaster of a remake of an original game isn't something that's going to blow away their bottom line, so they throw in things that might appeal to more people from the get-go. It's just marketing.

Masterteo89_

But it does exist. RE 5 came out before the RE 1 HD Remaster.

We are talking about plot, not what game was sold first. And i don't understand how could not be a paradox the fact that the main characters can use the BSAA outfits from the start.

I don't see how they are a paradox when both canon dictates and everyone knows Jill and Chris wear their STARS uniforms to complete the events in RE 1.

This is RE1 remastered. This is a remake in better quality than original RE1, but that does not mean that we can throw canon in the trash. What if the fan of RE games knows about BSAA ? This is RE1, plot-wise no other games follow this for now, and plot-wise BSAA does not exist.

If you can choose something from the start of a game, then all of it is considered default. Capcom gave us BSAA and STARS as default from the beginning, none of these ones is a bonus because you don't unlock them. You can choose one of them freely from the start. This makes both STARS and BSAA default outfits.

And so, plot-wise we have the paradox of the BSAA outfit.

I know the PC versions of RE 3 and Dino Crisis allow you to choose alternative costumes from the beginning... Capcom does seem to do this on releases that otherwise may not be as profitable. A remaster of a remake of an original game isn't something that's going to blow away their bottom line, so they throw in things that might appeal to more people from the get-go.

Exactly. See why i say that BSAA outfit from the start is simply fanservice ? It goes against plot, it is default because you can use it from the start without the need to unlock it and it is something that surely appeal to new gamers that like RE 5 - 6 and the new design of Chris, Jill...

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
This is RE1 remastered. This is a remake in better quality than original RE1, but that does not mean that we can throw canon in the trash. What if the fan of RE games knows about BSAA ? This is RE1, plot-wise no other games follow this for now, and plot-wise BSAA does not exist.

If you can choose something from the start of a game, then all of it is considered default. Capcom gave us BSAA and STARS as default from the beginning, none of these ones is a bonus because you don't unlock them. You can choose one of them freely from the start. This makes both STARS and BSAA default outfits.

And so, plot-wise we have the paradox of the BSAA outfit.
Come on dude... you know the BSAA outfit isn't canon or default. The STARS outfit is the first choice, is it not? The STARS outfit is on all the packaging, is it not? This is a Remaster of a Remake... people already know the characters wear the STARS outfit. The plot doesn't change just because the player chose a different costume. Everything is bonus. The entire remaster is fanservice. Capcom is not trying to pull the wool over your eyes and convince you that Chris and Jill wore their BSAA costumes during RE1.

If I play the PC version of RE3, and choose to have Jill wear Regina's outfit, what does that now imply for the plot of RE 3?

Exactly. See why i say that BSAA outfit from the start is simply fanservice ? It goes against plot, it is default because you can use it from the start without the need to unlock it and it is something that surely appeal to new gamers that like RE 5 - 6 and the new design of Chris, Jill...
You have to try to appeal to all RE gamers, new and old alike. That's how you make $$$.

Last edited:

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
There's an easy solution to this problem: If you're not sure which outfit is canon, look at what they're wearing in the pre-rendered cutscenes. That's the default outfit, even if you have Chris run around in a pink wedding dress and Jill in a Cookie Monster Halloween costume. It's as simple as that.

Airaku

Stray Jedi
Like this right here! Which by the way is the highest level of canon. This is his Yippee-ki-Yay mother******! face!
chris_redfield_in_a_tut_o_o_by_lilmaris.jpg

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
I don't know what you guys are smoking, the story is affected by Cookie Monster Jill and Fairy Chris. Girl Scout Wesker becomes an overly possessive boyfriend towards Chris and Jill eats her feelings as all the monsters are now made of sugar cookies, except for the Tyrant, he's made of chocolate chip cookies because he's the ultimate baked good. Cod.

Top Bottom