• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (1999) Will Resident Evil 3 remake be majorly different from or similar to Resident Evil 2 remake?

Turo602

The King of Kings
Look, Open world can work for a horror game. Or it can't. Argue about it. Whatever. But let's all agree, that if they're REMAKING this game, then don't make it open world. It's a damn remake. Stay as true to the source material as possible. Make RE8 open world. But if you're wanting to sell us on nostalgia, then actually give us nostalgia in full force. No pandering in Name Only crap

Definitely, but the idea that open-world survival horror games can't work is absurd. I thought RE6 would have been the perfect game to have some kind of open seamless world since they kept showcasing a lot of city locations in the trailers, but the end result just linear levels. But when it comes to remaking something as iconic as RE3, yeah, it's best they stay faithful and try to keep the same experience in there despite whatever improvements they make, like REmake 2.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Definitely, but the idea that open-world survival horror games can't work is absurd. I thought RE6 would have been the perfect game to have some kind of open seamless world since they kept showcasing a lot of city locations in the trailers, but the end result just linear levels. But when it comes to remaking something as iconic as RE3, yeah, it's best they stay faithful and try to keep the same experience in there despite whatever improvements they make, like REmake 2.
Yeah, personally I think it can work too. Hell, I'd love to try an open world horror game. Hell, that could be a thread in and of itself. Pitch an open world horror game.

D

Deleted member 21244

Wow, I think most of you don't really understand what true open world means and why it absolutely doesn't work for horror games. Before you praise open world in horror games perhaps you should present an example of a horror game providing a true open world where linear gameplay is 100% absent and you're free to approach objectives completely as you wish. I can assure you that it doesn't exist, because every horror game that includes instances of "open world" (like Evil Within 2 and SH: Downpour, for example) are actually not true open world games. The "open world" in those games are just temporary areas that temporarily delay the main linear storyline. They're not the main structure of the game, since both earlier and later parts of the game make those areas inaccessable. In true open world games, the open world IS the main structure of the game and every part will be accessable to you at all times. Even if you unlock new areas, the former areas will still be accessable. Another thing that's common for open world games is that the world will be explorable even after finishing the main storyline.

True open world games are games like Grand Theft Auto, Horizon: Zero Dawn, and The Elder Scrolls where the main quest, although larger in scale, is treated just like the other quests. You can go back and forth, take on another quest, or just chillout.

This is why the "open world" segments of The Evil Within 2, for example, come off as cheap and totally unnecessary. They are temporary fillers that create an illusion of a non-existing open world. And besides, every side quest was exactly the same: Find the source of a radio signal that belongs to some dead soldier, over and over again. Of course, it's totally fine if you like those segments, but you can't call them true open world since they are only temporarily accessable. They are, essentially, part of the linear storyline. Besides, open world is more than just side quests. In true open worlds you're usually allowed to sleep, eat, go training, or just simply chillout and explore the environments without any incoming threats. Try adding that to a horror game. Like I've already stated above, please give me an example of a horror game providing a true open world where linear gameplay is 100% absent and you're free to approach objectives completely as you wish. I can assure you that it doesn't exist.

The only horror game that has actually tried to make a true open world is Deadly Premonition, and that game has LOADS of problems. And if you break it down, it's actually more of a mystery detective game rather than a horror game. All in all, Deadly Premonition is a perfect example of how difficult it is to make a horror game with a true open world.

I'm sure its possible to make a good horror game with true open world, but it would be very, very, very, very difficult.
Infact I never say that residente evil 3 should be a true open world like gta or other but that should be a bit opened not as much as an open world, like the evil whitin 2, the new God of War, the new tomb raider or like the recent Control a game by remedy...
Just a bit more freedom...
a more opened survival horror could totally work if done well..

Turo602

The King of Kings
A new game in early development? Well, that surely must rule out RE8 since that's been in some kind of development since 2017. It has to be a remake of RE3! It has to be!

According to a credible leak - RE3 REmake is their current priority and will be released during this gen.

The same leak has stated that RE8 will be made for next gen consoles. But anything can change between now and then. And this is assuming this credible leak is actually credible. haha

Whatever they're testing most likely has to do with whatever this Project REsistance is. Probably some multiplayer game, which would make sense considering I don't see why a single player game would need testing. Worst case scenario, Capcom is trying to cash in on the Battle Royale trend with Resident Evil. But we'll see soon enough at TGS.

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
The Evil Within 2 may not be open-world, but it's still a great example of why an open-world horror game CAN work. Besides, when games like Dead Island, State of Decay, Dying Light, and Dead Rising 3 exist, your entire point pretty much falls apart.
Since Evil Within 2 isn't open world, it can't be a great example. Besides, the main reason why I think that game is complete rubbish is because I love the first one, and the sequel basically did a "Last Jedi" and f***ed up the story. Plus the controls and gameplay mechanics were dumbed down from the first one, and made the sequel look like an unfinished game that was rushed in production. I've written a whole review about why The Evil Within 2 sucks, I'll see if I can find it somewhere.

With the exception of Dying Light, I'd say that all of those you mentioned are quite comedic in nature, especially Dead Rising. Comedic horror works for open word, but that's because they sacrifice horror for comedy. They feel more like arcade style games, especially with all those numbers and points popping on the screen the whole time.

I actually completely forgot about Dying Light. You're right, that's the one true open world game where horror is pure horror and it works. And when I say "works", I mean that it succeeds in being scary. Because even if games like Dead Rising are apparent open world, the reason why they don't work as horror games is because they're not scary. They can be fun to play, for sure, especially because of their more comedic and arcade aspects. But my original point has always been that its difficult to achieve a scary game with open world, and that's probably why there are so few examples of true open world horror games. Dying Light should be the inspiration to look at.

Turo602

The King of Kings
Since Evil Within 2 isn't open world, it can't be a great example. Besides, the main reason why I think that game is complete rubbish is because I love the first one, and the sequel basically did a "Last Jedi" and f***ed up the story. Plus the controls and gameplay mechanics were dumbed down from the first one, and made the sequel look like an unfinished game that was rushed in production. I've written a whole review about why The Evil Within 2 sucks, I'll see if I can find it somewhere.

With the exception of Dying Light, I'd say that all of those you mentioned are quite comedic in nature, especially Dead Rising. Comedic horror works for open word, but that's because they sacrifice horror for comedy. They feel more like arcade style games, especially with all those numbers and points popping on the screen the whole time.

I actually completely forgot about Dying Light. You're right, that's the one true open world game where horror is pure horror and it works. And when I say "works", I mean that it succeeds in being scary. Because even if games like Dead Rising are apparent open world, the reason why they don't work as horror games is because they're not scary. They can be fun to play, for sure, especially because of their more comedic and arcade aspects. But my original point has always been that its difficult to achieve a scary game with open world, and that's probably why there are so few examples of true open world horror games. Dying Light should be the inspiration to look at.

The point that is being made is that open-world survival horror games can work. We're purely discussing the possibility. The Evil Within 2 doesn't need to be an open-world game to be a great example of why such a concept could work considering it has open-world segments. Take that concept, and make it an entire game. That's the point.

Also, whether the games were scary or not were really not the point either. They can be scary, but they prove that open-world survival gameplay is a thing that very much exists. It wouldn't be hard to slap on some horror.

If anything, the reason we don't see many examples is the same reason the genre is so barren. Survival horror just isn't mainstream like other genres are, so nobody has really done it because survival-horror isn't considered profitable and a large project like an open-world game would cost too much just to appeal to a niche audience.

D

Deleted member 21244

Whatever they're testing most likely has to do with whatever this Project REsistance is. Probably some multiplayer game, which would make sense considering I don't see why a single player game would need testing. Worst case scenario, Capcom is trying to cash in on the Battle Royale trend with Resident Evil. But we'll see soon enough at TGS.
All game are tested, even single player, for example the creators of the new God of War called many old fan to test the game and see what they think about it, Infact it was during one of these test that they realize that everyone complained about Atreus because in this early stage it was uselles in combat, so they changed it to be your bow in the final game, and help you during combat... they make test about single player to have feedback

So this project resistence could be resident evil 8 or a multiplayer game, we'll find out at tokyo game show...

Jonipoon

How many of you would like to see Julia Voth being used yet again as the face model for Jill Valentine in a RE3 remake? I think she is so closely tied to the character now that it would be kind of distracting to see someone else play her.

D

Deleted member 21244

How many of you would like to see Julia Voth being used yet again as the face model for Jill Valentine in a RE3 remake? I think she is so closely tied to the character now that it would be kind of distracting to see someone else play her.
I hope they bring her back since she is a model and her face is real so there would be no need to change Jill face whit another actress in my opinion, they already give her a realisti look

Jonipoon

I hope they bring her back since she is a model and her face is real so there would be no need to change Jill face whit another actress in my opinion, they already give her a realisti look
Realistically speaking, there's unfortunately a chance that Konami thinks she is too old and they may go for a younger actress in her early 20's.

D

Deleted member 21244

Realistically speaking, there's unfortunately a chance that Konami thinks she is too old and they may go for a younger actress in her early 20's.
Capcom can simply deage her digitally, since they had to put her in a videogame, just like Kojima did for death stranding calling 70 year old Lindsay Wagner but she was digitally made 40 year younger in the game ...

The character are digitally created so they can do whatever they want and make her look like a 20 years old...

Last edited by a moderator:

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
Plus, you guys are speaking about her like she is some kind of immortal Ancient. The actress is only 35! They could easily use her and she pretty much still looks 25. Not much work to do there at all.

D

Deleted member 21244

Plus, you guys are speaking about her like she is some kind of immortal Ancient. The actress is only 35! They could easily use her and she pretty much still looks 25. Not much work to do there at all.
Yeah, I think it was much older XD

UmbrellaCorps

I'm sure it'll mostly be similar since even RE7 and the RE2 remake were very similar (being that they used the same engine as well). I think I would actually prefer they be similar because I've been wanting more RE2 action ever since the remake came out

Zacmac90

Honestly idc if its open world or the traditional survivor horror way, as long as its a CAPCOM created remake in re engine ill be excited..

1st remake was an A- imo
2nd an A+ again my opinion
With a re2 esque treatment no reason they cant go 3/3

Top Bottom