• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Why does the Church in Damnation use statues and look pretty Catholic?

BarkeyForeman

Pazazu's most devout follower
Last time I checked Eastern Orthodoxy discourages statues instead preferring icons. Even their crucifix doesn't have a Jesus statue but a painting of Jesus on the cross.

So I don't understand why the Church in the movie uses Catholic designs. Not just statues but the holy water fontaine looks Catholic, much of the Glass Stain Windows resemble Catholic art style with its fair skinned portrayal of the Biblical figures (HINT: most Biblical figures-especially Jesus- are portrayed in Eastern Orthodoxy with yellowish-olive skin), alot fo the church interior decorations are Catholic such as the benches, and so on.

I mean its obvious the fictional country is based on Ukraine or some other Slavic nation. So why does the church not resemble an Eastern Orthodox one at all?

KevinStriker

"Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?"
Probably because it's a Japanese production. Closest thing to Christianity in Japan is their weddings these days.
But for the rest of Japan at large, there's really so few practicing and devout Christians of any sect that in Japanese media they treat Christianity and crosses much in the same way American media might treat Wicca: Fast and loose.

MisterScott

Just because there was a Catholic Church in the area doesnt mean it was a widely popular religion in the fantasy county.

The story could've happened in America and had Leon taking cover inside the Church of Scientology just because it was conveniently nearby.

Top Bottom