• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Why are resident evil characters immune to virus ??

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
As far as resident evil rudimentary logic goes leon,chris,claire&rebecca should be zombies by now because the zombie virus A/B/C whatever is airborne only Jill&sherry are immune to virus given the story both of them have.

And heck its not like they never get hurt either every Re character got hurt at some point and an open wound would make infection even faster.

By far this is the biggest RE plothole which just cannot be ignored.

JujuLodestar

Lurking is my jam.
As far as resident evil rudimentary logic goes leon,chris,claire&rebecca should be zombies by now because the zombie virus A/B/C whatever is airborne only Jill&sherry are immune to virus given the story both of them have.

And heck its not like they never get hurt either every Re character got hurt at some point and an open wound would make infection even faster.

By far this is the biggest RE plothole which just cannot be ignored.

I will vouch for that I never got a reason for that and I came up with one conclusion.
They NEVER got hit canonically. So my guess is in canon they we're never bitten or hit (Minus Chris Re5 People. will Leon too)

Plus it's just a game not much else really other then that.

But eh.

Spikeyroxas

Pencil Artist
Premium
Helena And Leon arnt immune to the C virus
If you die by the gas in re6 the death scene shows the skin changing which my guess is them becoming a zombie.

Only the C virus is airborne if administered that way.

Jill got infected with the T virus and nearly died but Carlos created a vaccine in time. This didn't kill the virus but kept it at bay (which made it possible for wesker to use a device to administer controlled doses [re5])

Jill is immune to the t abyss aswell after injecting a vaccine before being exposed to the virus.
The odds are everyone else is probably vaccinated to the t abyss now too.

Chris and Claire were never infected by anything.

Sherry was infected with the g virus from her dad (grim) but was taken out of her with a vaccine by Claire but like Jill this didn't remove it completely but made her the first person with immunity from it which later gave her abilities which the government tried to replicate.

Leon and Ashley were infected by las plagas but was extracted from them before it was too late (I don't think this makes them immune since its a parasite and not a virus as such)

Jake (being.weskers son) is immune to all virus so far.

Jen

Girly Gamer
Premium Elite
Premium
I understand where you're coming from. It does seem very far-fetched. Like Shinigami said, it's probably that the plot is set in stone and anything that happens during the actual playing of the game is discounted.

I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that only the C virus was airborne, apart from the spores created from the Las Plagas fossils, but those spores only infected with prolonged proximity to the fossils. Only Leon and Helena's scenario in RE6 dealt with the airborne virus, which was produced by Lepotitsa and Haos. I guess that they managed to outrun the fog released from the missile in China. This is speculation, but maybe eventually the fog and virus dissipates until the concentration of the virus in the air isn't infectious. Maybe the virus can only survive in certain conditions, so once it's released, after a while, it dies. Who knows?

That might explain why Leon and Helena weren't infected in Tall Oaks. The virus could have been released in the banquet hall or wherever, and dissipated or the virus died soon after. Capcom could probably find a way to explain it.

I guess that, according to the plot, any open wounds that weren't covered by the characters were never exposed to any bodily fluids that the zombies/mutants produced. The characters were never bitten, injected or infected any other way (apart from Leon, Jill and Sherry but they were cured). Like I said, it seems far-fetched. But I guess that's the appeal of games. They give you an escape from reality.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
It's Charles Darwin's "Survival of the Fittest." Think of how many other got infected. THOUSANDS. Why are these handful of characters so different? They're the fittest. I mean, look at Steve Burnside. He got infected, proof that Charles Darwin's law is effective in those games. He was a rookie teenager with some guns. He only lasted as long as he did because of Claire, and because he was in pretty health shape lol. So why make a game that follows those that AREN'T the fittest.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that only the C virus was airborne.
wtf then how did the virus spread so quickly in raccon city ? just because of the sewers ? that way people still inhaled the sewer gases so that means T-virus was airborne.

I think its just poor writing... i mean if everyone's getting infected spontaneously your main character should at least have a legit reason to not become one.
Why are these handful of characters so different? They're the fittest. .
If by "fittest" you mean virus resistant antibodies then yes they are fit to survive.. otherwise no can't do a darn against a virus which can make you into a living corpse.

Leon doesn't even qualify as the "fittest" he's a rookie cop first day on duty the possibilities of him dying was like 99.99% and not to mention tofu guy.

Turo602

The King of Kings
wtf then how did the virus spread so quickly in raccon city ? just because of the sewers ? that way people still inhaled the sewer gases so that means T-virus was airborne.

I think its just poor writing... i mean if everyone's getting infected spontaneously your main character should at least have a legit reason to not become one.

If by "fittest" you mean virus resistant antibodies then yes they are fit to survive.. otherwise no can't do a darn against a virus which can make you into a living corpse.

Leon doesn't even qualify as the "fittest" he's a rookie cop first day on duty the possibilities of him dying was like 99.99% and not to mention tofu guy.

First off, to answer your question... it's a video game, durr. Also, the virus in Raccoon City was spread through rats from the sewers. Leon also arrived in Raccoon City after the infection had spread, as did Claire. C virus on the other hand was a gas, which the characters had to avoid, as seen in RE6. The characters have never been around during the process of infection, save for RE6 and maybe even Jill who did manage to get infected in RE3, so I don't know where you got the idea that the characters are immune. The series has never alluded to such a thing, except for those who have been said to be immune.

And not that I agree with the "Survival of the Fittest" theory, but what does Leon's job have to do with superior genes?

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
First off, to answer your question... it's a video game, durr.
This isn't pong durr.. this is 2013 video games have evolved now people are PAID TO WRITE these stories i can write better than that i can make it look more convincing !
Leon also arrived in Raccoon City after the infection had spread, as did Claire.
But the problem is that they were in an infectious environment where infected were leaping over them you can't say that they didn't even touch them and they weren't wearing gas masks all the time..

Not to mention that in RE:eek:utbreak you have an infection meter which clearly indicates the fact that the virus is indeed "Viral" -_-... any single contact let it be a scratch,an acid puke,shards of zombie flesh anything is more than enough to infect the player.

But After finishing 3 campaigns in RE6 i'm just going along with it... nothing makes sense everything is exploding.:x

Spikeyroxas

Pencil Artist
Premium
The infection spread quickly because.
The rats widespread the infection to people in different areas of the city. Zombies made more zombies and they made more zombies.
The herp derp raccoon city police were slow to react (kind of reminds you of the real life police sometimes :p )

Reactions: Jen

Turo602

The King of Kings
This isn't pong durr.. this is 2013 video games have evolved now people are PAID TO WRITE these stories i can write better than that i can make it look more convincing ! But the problem is that they were in an infectious environment where infected were leaping over them you can't say that they didn't even touch them and they weren't wearing gas masks all the time..

Yes, I'm aware of the year, did you just learn it? And durr, it doesn't have to be pong. You're talking about a video game series that was created in 1996. Video games still weren't as sophisticated as they are now. Even then, they are still video games.

Not to mention that in RE:eek:utbreak you have an infection meter which clearly indicates the fact that the virus is indeed "Viral" -_-... any single contact let it be a scratch,an acid puke,shards of zombie flesh anything is more than enough to infect the player.

I wouldn't take anything from Outbreak as a source in favor or against something from the main series. "Canon" or not, it's irrelevant and nothing more than a cash in on the series.

But After finishing 3 campaigns in RE6 i'm just going along with it... nothing makes sense everything is exploding.:x

When has anything in Resident Evil made sense? Are we even talking about the same franchise?

Spikeyroxas

Pencil Artist
Premium
Yeah
Re6 had lots of holes and things that didn't make sense.

Like the timeline of tall oaks / college being gassed.
The fact the Leon and Helena survive about 5 vehicle crashes.
And the fact that the cathedral is logically on the top of a mountain.

These distracted me more from the virus' xD

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
The only two things I find hard to believe are how Rebecca was not infected after being bitten by one of those monkey creatures in a cutscene (which makes it canon), and how Leon could run around with an open bullet wound in a dirty sewer filled with zombies and get away with it. The others were probably lucky enough to never get bitten or injured in any other way that could have allowed a virus to get in, and whenever it does happen, there's a logical explanation provided by a cutscene (like Nemesis's tentacle in Jill's case, Sherry being "impregnated" by her father, the needle bomb for the BSAA soldiers etc.).

Spikeyroxas

Pencil Artist
Premium
^
True

General game rules:
Unless it happens in a cutscene, it's not cannon :p
Like the rule where characters are only in danger in cutscenes.

Turo602

The King of Kings
The only two things I find hard to believe are how Rebecca was not infected after being bitten by one of those monkey creatures in a cutscene (which makes it canon), and how Leon could run around with an open bullet wound in a dirty sewer filled with zombies and get away with it. The others were probably lucky enough to never get bitten or injured in any other way that could have allowed a virus to get in, and whenever it does happen, there's a logical explanation provided by a cutscene (like Nemesis's tentacle in Jill's case, Sherry being "impregnated" by her father, the needle bomb for the BSAA soldiers etc.).

I still find it funny how "lucky" Chris and Piers were to not get hit with the needle bomb. They weren't really shielded from it and it did shoot at a great speed in every direction...

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
I have the same thought every time I see that scene. Yeah, they were lucky... like Carla, who could have been hit by a flying needle just as easily. But then again, she already had the C-virus within her at that time, so maybe it wouldn't have effected her greatly.
Maybe being indirectly exposed to viruses all the time, but never infected directly, also earns you some kind of immunity? Because the thought that Chris has been fighting BOWs for 15 years and still has all of his limbs and no scars or mutations is also quite unrealistic.

Turo602

The King of Kings
I have the same thought every time I see that scene. Yeah, they were lucky... like Carla, who could have been hit by a flying needle just as easily. But then again, she already had the C-virus within her at that time, so maybe it wouldn't have effected her greatly.
Maybe being indirectly exposed to viruses all the time, but never infected directly, also earns so you some kind of immunity? Because the thought that Chris has been fighting BOWs for 15 years and still has all of his limbs and no scars or mutations is also quite unrealistic.

Well, look at it this way. The series has stopped being about zombies and infections for quite some time. With Resident Evil 4, it would be a lot harder to infect someone because it's no longer through a bite or scratch. Same with RE5, where they would have to hold Chris down and shove a parasite down his throat. The series has sort of become more about monsters and abominations than it has been zombies and infections as of late.

Spikeyroxas

Pencil Artist
Premium
I think the main characters are probably vaccinated from the older virus' now anyway, which would be why they are in danger from only virus' from current games.
But hunnigan said at the end of re6 that a vaccine has been created for the C virus so the characters will be safe from that one now (in theory)

Parasites though: I don't think they can be vaccinated against them, but there's probably updated methods of dealing with them now

Reactions: Jen

Jen

Girly Gamer
Premium Elite
Premium
William Birkin injected himself with the G Virus. Then he chased the U.S.S soldiers and killed them, breaking the vials containing the G and T viruses, which then leaked into the sewer. The rats then ingested it, and spread it through the city. I think I remember reading somewhere that the viruses also leaked into the water supply, so people will have drank the water and been infected that way. The number of infected would have snowballed, as the virus could also now be transferred through bites. It wouldn't take too long for everyone to be infected. I think that's right, anyway.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
I think I remember reading somewhere that the viruses also leaked into the water supply,so people will have drank the water and been infected that way.
lol wut ?? man this is never explained i've finished RE2&3 like 10 times >_> yeah it makes sense contaminated water supply would likely triple the speed of infection.
^
Unless it happens in a cutscene, it's not cannon :p.
Yeah that magical gaming logic
30788.jpg

gaming_logic-236134.jpg

Games have discontinuity with logic,i rest my case leon&claire get bitten,spit,scratched and stabbed yet they're perfectly fine because... logic.
And the fact that the cathedral is logically on the top of a mountain
LMAO never really noticed that the cathedral on top of a mountain

Now all there is really needed is a classic evil laughter accompanied by lightning.

Top Bottom