• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil (2002) / HD Remaster (2015) Whose Campaign Would You Choose for Canon?

Who would you choose as true main character of you could pick only one?

• Jill Valentine

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Chris Redfield

Votes: 7 50.0%

• Total voters

Murrdogg93

If only one character or the other, Jill or Chris, could have the central focus of Remake with their story, who would choose to be the main character?

black 93

Id probably pick Chris. Solely because his campaign features Rebecca, so it feels a little more connected to RE0. Although Rebecca does feel like a totally different character in each game and dosen't mention what happens in Zero once....but it's all we have ain't it.

Murrdogg93

Id probably pick Chris. Solely because his campaign features Rebecca, so it feels a little more connected to RE0. Although Rebecca does feel like a totally different character in each game and dosen't mention what happens in Zero once....but it's all we have ain't it.
They also couldn't really reference Zero because Remake released 7 months beforehand. Remake was April 2002. Zero was November 2002.

Turo602

The King of Kings
They also couldn't really reference Zero because Remake released 7 months beforehand. Remake was April 2002. Zero was November 2002.

They could have if they wanted to, but they didn't. They referenced Billy Coen in Resident Evil 2 on the N64 because they were already working on 0 for the N64 before it moved to the Gamecube. I also remember hearing there was gonna be some sort of prologue in REmake showing Rebecca getting to the Mansion first that was removed. I think even one of the trailers for REmake shows Rebecca being surrounded by zombies in the main hall. Don't know if it's related or not or just done to be flashy for the trailer, but it was definitely interesting.

Mr.R

This is hard for me, but if I would need to choose, I'll go with Jill. I like Barry way more than I like Rebecca .

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
I'd say Wesker's obsession with Chris in later games pretty much proves that his story is the canon one - at least for the most part, I still believe the truth is a mix of the events from both his and Jill's campaigns, with Chris merely playing a bigger part in foiling Wesker's plans. But if I had to choose only one, it would also be Chris, for the same reasons I stated in the other thread about Chris vs. Jill.

Flipqy42

Nevermore
Honestly Jill. Her version of events, in my opinion, covers more of the plot than Chris does. Maybe its because Jill has more cutscenes with Barry that expand the mystery. Plus Wesker spells out his plans to Jill and he doesn't for Chris.

He admits to betraying Umbrella along with the STARS to Jill. To Chris all he does is admit to being responsible for the deaths of Bravo team and releases the Tyrant.

(on a side note, I always felt that Wesker's rage boner for Chris should have been connected to CVX instead of RE1. Chris does way more to antagonize Wesker there than he does even in his own version of RE1. Also RE0 should have happened congruently to RE1 instead of the day before, don't @ me)

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
They could have if they wanted to, but they didn't. They referenced Billy Coen in Resident Evil 2 on the N64 because they were already working on 0 for the N64 before it moved to the Gamecube. I also remember hearing there was gonna be some sort of prologue in REmake showing Rebecca getting to the Mansion first that was removed. I think even one of the trailers for REmake shows Rebecca being surrounded by zombies in the main hall. Don't know if it's related or not or just done to be flashy for the trailer, but it was definitely interesting.
It's a shame. They definitely had the opportunity to make Rebecca's character evolve in the REmake, but they couldn't even get the same voice actress.

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
I see it as a blend of the two (obviously, since we know Chris, Jill, Barry, and Rebecca all escape the mansion). I’d say that Chris is likely the one who confronts Wesker in the lab and fights the tyrant there before they all head up to the roof.
Soon I’ll hopefully get further along in my fanfic where I try to blend both stories together- mostly for my own personal benefit of getting my perspective out there. If I think it’s decent enough, maybe I’ll share it on here too lol.

Last edited:

Bran

Independent Film Director
From a storytelling point, I would choose Chris. Because he becomes a center of focus for Claire's storyline across 2 games, and Jill gets center stage in Resident Evil 3. His vendetta against Wesker would make more sense if he also actively confronts him in the original game.

Personally, I would combine both campaigns.

Soul Fist

Chris, because Rebecca has to be there and RE0 ending confirmed that she was going to the mansion. It would create a bigger gap if I deleted Rebecca more than Barry.

RedfieldFan

Definitely Chris. Not only does his story follow that of RE0 by including Rebecca but it also establishes Wesker’s hate for Chris. Chris also ties into Claire’s story in RE2 culminating with their shared story in CV.

Jill’s time in the mansion isn’t really that important to her later appearances and is more or less unimportant to her later stories. Barry on the other hand is established as a family man - tying his story directly to REV2.

But despite Barry’s story, I still think that Chris’s story in RE1 is more important to the overall lore.

If RE1 is ever remade again, I hope that they give us the chance to experience the true ending of the story where all four STARS members make it out alive.

Awebb

If an RE game has people, BOWs and objects/locations that will survive based on the player action, then so far canon has been, that...

... the object/location has been destroyed.
... the BOW has been destroyed.
... the people have survived.

V-Jolt

Years ago it was always considered that Chris's campaign was the true canonical ending due to Rebecca surviving. However, these days I'd personally say that it really doesn't matter which you play as Barry is just as arguably important because his huge role in Revelations 2. Though I've always thought Jill AND Chris's game contradict each other.

Slightly off topic but a fun story: I'm currently playing through REmake with jill from a cleared save and have just for the first time after ALL these years discovered the horror of Bomb Zombie Forrest Speyer. Scared the crap out of me, I'd never heard of this feature ever. Put me on edge.

Last edited:
Top Bottom