• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Who's your favourite resident evil character, and why?

Fishcakes

Just a theory. I want to see who actually are the most popular resident evil characters of all time. An answer would be appreciated even if it's short.

Ikawaru

Probably Claire, for reasons above and also to pay homage.

However, my honorable mention goes to Billy Cohen, for being a badass army officer and tragically got shafted by Uncle Sam for trying to do the right thing in the field. Pretty ballsy move by Capcom to insinuate that the U.S. gvt isn't honest, especially in 2002 which was soon after 9/11.

Lithium

Leon. I LOVE snarky characters who are more then they let on. And yeah, it's also the looks. I fell for the 90s hairstyle and dark blonde hair and piercing eyes, I really did.

Turo602

The King of Kings
I hate picking one because really, I enjoy all the original heroes, but my top two always boils down to Chris and Leon. I'm a sucker for the whole Batman/Superman dynamic. Like the whole Stallone vs Schwarzenegger debate. Two leading badasses who are both extremely different despite both playing similar roles who people just want to see crossover so badly.

But if I had to pick one, then I'd have to go with Chris. Leon may be the cooler one of the two, but I've always felt they wasted his overall role in the series having him pretty much represent a more casual side of the series whereas Chris feels more like the main character of the Resident Evil franchise.

He's by far the most affected and most driven character to survive the mansion incident and from there, he's always played an important part, even when he's not present. Whether he's a member of STARS, the BSAA, or something else, it's always gonna be Chris who's trying to take down Umbrella or any global viral threat.

Ikawaru

Yup Chris is the all-American 'Dad' of the series

AISVvS6.jpg

I assume most of us are millennials here so he could be considered a parental to many I imagine.

RedfieldFanboi

It might be obvious, but Chris is my favourite character. When I first got into the franchise it was through RE2 back when it first came out, but after REmake, CVX and then RE5 Chris became my favourite. I loved the rivalry he had with Wesker and how it was resolved over those games. Seeing how he was in RE6 only further cemented that for me, as Chris was the one character who seemed to have the most growth throughout the series. To see him go from the young man he was in RE1/REmake to the broken veteran soldier he became, was like a dagger to the heart. He'd been through so much; lost so much and so many people, but refused to let it destroy him completely. No other character has been shown to the same degree in the main games - not even Leon.

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
For me it's a no-brainer: Jill Valentine, hands down. Resident Evil 3: Nemesis was my introduction to the series back in 1999, and as a young boy I was fascinated by her badassery and strong determination to escape Raccoon City while being hunted by this insane killer machine. However, it wasn't until many years later when I picked up the Resident Evil 1 remake that I truly began to piece her life together and get a sense of her backstory. She gets a bad rep for being boring when she's actually just avoiding panic and showing calmness in stressful situations, which is exactly the kind of characteristic a bomb disposal expert who trained with the United States Army's Delta Force unit would have. Despite that, I always found Jill to be an extremely kind-hearted character with a strong willfulness to help others and encourage them to "never give up".

I really love this scene at the 2:23 mark in the REmake, which is the one and only time that has left Jill in a shock-like state unable to move or act... The pure terror in her eyes, unable to comprehend if what she's seeing is real or a dream, because dogs like that can't exist, can they? Man, the animation and editing in this scene is 100% top class. Not bad for 2002.

Unfortunately Jill has been mistreated by Capcom for a long time, beginning with her humiliating role as Wesker's brain controlled slave in RE5. She was out of the spotlight for a long time until she finally returned for the RE3 remake, which I was looking forward to a lot. As a huge fan of the original, the remake wasn't what I expected and sadly Jill's character was butchered beyond recognition. They turned her into a generic action heroine who lacked many of the traits that made me fall in love with the original Jill Valentine.

Ikawaru

Despite my misgivings of RE3R as a whole, I thought Jill was portrayed quite well in RE3R, they didn't totally revamp her character but they spiced up her dialogue to keep it fresh and that was fine by me. Capcom did a great job augmenting her beauty with the modern REngine and graphics. The weirdest thing they did with Jill in RE3R was turn the Drain Deimos into some kind of bizarre deep throat fetish BOW, which could be construed as an insult to her character.

Fishcakes

For me it's a no-brainer: Jill Valentine, hands down. Resident Evil 3: Nemesis was my introduction to the series back in 1999, and as a young boy I was fascinated by her badassery and strong determination to escape Raccoon City while being hunted by this insane killer machine. However, it wasn't until many years later when I picked up the Resident Evil 1 remake that I truly began to piece her life together and get a sense of her backstory. She gets a bad rep for being boring when she's actually just avoiding panic and showing calmness in stressful situations, which is exactly the kind of characteristic a bomb disposal expert who trained with the United States Army's Delta Force unit would have. Despite that, I always found Jill to be an extremely kind-hearted character with a strong willfulness to help others and encourage them to "never give up".

I really love this scene at the 2:23 mark in the REmake, which is the one and only time that has left Jill in a shock-like state unable to move or act... The pure terror in her eyes, unable to comprehend if what she's seeing is real or a dream, because dogs like that can't exist, can they? Man, the animation and editing in this scene is 100% top class. Not bad for 2002.

Unfortunately Jill has been mistreated by Capcom for a long time, beginning with her humiliating role as Wesker's brain controlled slave in RE5. She was out of the spotlight for a long time until she finally returned for the RE3 remake, which I was looking forward to a lot. As a huge fan of the original, the remake wasn't what I expected and sadly Jill's character was butchered beyond recognition. They turned her into a generic action heroine who lacked many of the traits that made me fall in love with the original Jill Valentine.
I definitely agree, Jills 100% my favourite as well since I played 1998 at launch which introduced me to the franchise.
She's a really interesting and in-depth character, not your basic helpless her or any of that which was the norm around the time of the resident evil games. She's also realistic, like you mentioned from the video, unlike some of the other STARS teams reactions (although they could be expected due to the fact their special forces) she actually shows emotion and confusion which is relatable.
her background story as amazing as well if you've read through the lore and played the games more cinematically.
As much as I have misgivings for certain parts of the remake, I don't agree that it was a butchery, she's still a very interesting character, a bit more modernised and maybe not as relatable, but you also have to remember that she's used to all of it by then. I still think she has emotion and it's still obvious to me that she's Jill, so I have to agree with MellowYellow to the fact that I agree the game is still very good and I enjoyed most of it. As for re5? It was weird, yes. But it was an interesting twist so I don't mind it now, I used to hate it though so I understand

Ikawaru

I think Nicolai and Carlos were more butchered than Jill. Carlos is a shade or two more Alpha (although poor localization could have played a factor in that perception) whilst Nicolai is a shade or two more evil. I mean Nicolai was certainly a villain in 1999 but he seems far more premediated and psychopathic in the remake, as opposed to being just an agent on a payroll willing to do whatever for the suits at Umbrella. Sort of like Hunk, but a bit worse.

Last edited:

Conanrico

Jilly Bean Valentine. With Leon as a very close second. They fit nicely into that heroes journey category. Started fresh, naïeve, inexperienced and became completely self reliant survival badasses. Although Honorary mention goes to Ethan Winters who sacrificed everything for his daughter.

Top Bottom