• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 2 (2019) Which Scenario Pair Do You Prefer?

Which Scenario Pair Do You Prefer?

• Leon A/Claire B

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • Claire A/Leon B

Votes: 9 56.3%

• Total voters

Murrdogg93

Which Scenario pairing do you prefer? Which is your preferred way to play or your preferred canon in this version?

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
Even though I first played the game the other way around, I think Leon A / Claire B is the intended order this time, for a couple of narrative and gameplay-related reasons.

- I feel Leon's campaign is slightly easier and therefore more suitable for beginners, mainly because of his weapon arsenal. His starting pistol beats Claire's in terms of ammo capacity and reloading time, his shotgun has more ammo lying around and is easier to handle than her grenade launcher, and I also found his magnum a lot more useful than her Uzi.
- Even though Marvin's interactions with both characters are well done, I think it makes more sense for Leon to meet him because they're both cops.
- Claire never gets to raise the Elliot shutter, meaning that she can never explore the small area behind it in her A scenario. Claire B has access to it right away, and Leon A can raise the shutter.
- The A character's first encounter with Mister X happens upon their return from the basement, the B character already runs into him while looking for the medals. Since Leon has to put up with him for longer, it's only fair if he at least meets him later.
- Related to the above, Ben is killed by Mister X through the wall of his cell, leaving it somewhat ambiguous who or what exactly did it. While his death is the same in both scenarios, it's a little less creepy in Leon B because Leon will already have encountered Mister X by that time. There is no such foreshadowing in either of Claire's campaigns, so she might as well just run into him randomly outside the S.T.A.R.S. office.
- Claire gets to explore a little more of the city while heading for the orphanage than Leon on his way to the sewers. With Leon as the A character who is controllable at the gas station and has to reach the RPD via the city streets, both characters get a slice of Raccoon City culture.
- The B character gets to fight the game's true final boss, William in his ultimate form. Since Claire has more interactions with William throughout her campaign, and more connections due to him being the father and stalker of her protégé, she should be the one to finish him off for good.

There is only one little continuity problem with this, namely Sherry stating in RE6 that Claire and Leon saved her life in Raccoon City, even though in this retelling of the events, Leon does nothing to contribute to her survival in any way. This was different in the original Claire A / Leon B, where he would at least get Sherry on the train while Claire was busy creating the vaccine, but this time, the only thing he can do to help is fight William's final form, requiring him to be the B character. Regardless, because of all the reasons I stated above, I still think you get more out of it by playing it in the opposite order.

Last edited:

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
I've always thought that Leon A and Claire B made more sense. Especially in the original where Mr. X's mission isn't too kill survivors, it's to acquire the G virus, which Sherry is in possession of the entire game and Ada isn't ever in possession of until maybe the end.

As for the remake, the reasons stated above definitely make Leon A and Claire B make a lot more sense to the game.

Even if I do love Marvin and Claire's interactions together.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
@Magnolia Grandiflora
Slightly off-topic, but if you look at it closely, Mister X going after Leon or Claire in the original RE2 never made any sense to begin with. Provided that he knew all along where the G sample was (as the Claire B cutscene with him and Sherry in the power room heavily suggests), the only characters he should ever have stalked are the ones carrying the pendant, which are Sherry and Ada. (Remember that Sherry drops her pendant in front of Ada during the latter's first segment in Leon B, and Ada keeps it for the remainder of the game.) You could argue that Mister X chose to go after Claire/Leon because he somehow identified them as allies of Sherry/Ada, but he already starts stalking them before they meet their respective partners, which only adds to the confusion.

Long story short, I'm glad that they changed Mister X's purpose in the remake to something more along the lines of Nemesis in RE3. That way it makes sense for him to go after everyone who is still alive. (And it makes me wonder if, in a potential RE3 remake, Nemesis will look more like an updated version of Mister X...)

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
I agree with that sentiment... except for Nemesis' final form. In the original, he isn't really a threat at all. If they decided to continue with the blob Nemesis theme, they could at least make him more harassing.

Anyway, in the original - Claire A/Leon B made more sense since Claire deals with the Birkin storyline which makes more sense considering Sherry is her partner. In the remake, I don't know if there is any great evidence that either scneario is canon. I really liked Hel's breakdown of the events from each scenario, but I don't know if it's enough justification yet.

Res_Veteran

I Work For Umbrella
I don't prefer one over the other there all as good as one another but if I had to choose one it have to be Claire A / Leon B as like @UniqTeas said it made more sense,

But either way I liked all the scenarios.

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
For me its Claire A, Leon B.

Has Capcom released any statement on the official canon answer yet?

D

Deleted member 21244

In the orginal was Claire a leon b since resident evil 6 make this Canon and also darkside chronicles put this as Canon... leaon a and Claire b can't be Canon since sherry it s not infected with the g virus... In this one there is no difference if you play Claire or Leon first since there is no actually a or b scenario, the only difference is That you entered from the front door and meet Marvin, but the rest is unchanged, it s just a mockery, Capcom want to make as thing Tha it s like the original with a and b scenario but Its not the case with this remake, they just fool us

Last edited by a moderator:

Murrdogg93

In the orginal was Claire a leon b since resident evil 6 make this Canon and also darkside chronicles put this as Canon... leaon a and Claire b can't be Canon since sherry it s not infected with the g virus... In this one there is no difference if you play Claire or Leon first since there is no actually a or b scenario, the only difference is That you entered from the front door and meet Marvin, but the rest is unchanged, it s just a mockery, Capcom want to make as thing Tha it s like the original with a and b scenario but Its not the case with this remake, they just fool us
Or perhaps Capcom wanted to make the scenarios in Remake up to your personal preference for Canon, by making some things tied to character instead of scenario, like how in this version, Sherry gets infected regardless in Claire's A or B scenario. I never was fortunate enough to experience Survival Horror Resident Evil games until 2018, so I don't have any resentment for this decision on Capcom, since I don't have experience with the original to compare.

D

Deleted member 21244

Or perhaps Capcom wanted to make the scenarios in Remake up to your personal preference for Canon, by making some things tied to character instead of scenario, like how in this version, Sherry gets infected regardless in Claire's A or B scenario. I never was fortunate enough to experience Survival Horror Resident Evil games until 2018, so I don't have any resentment for this decision on Capcom, since I don't have experience with the original to compare.
In resident evil 2 remake every scenario could be Canon since there are almost no difference but if you played the original and the other resident evil game you know That is claire A leon B... In the original Resident evil 2, B scenario was complitly different in some part compared to the remake , since I played leon as second run I got the impression that Leon run in the remake was similar to his A scenario in resident evil 2 besides the fact that you fight the tyrant at the end and birkin like the original b scenario, ada death was completely different in the original Leon b... So there isn't actually a b scenario in re 2 remake, the a and b scenario perspectives is what make re 2 great, I would have loved to see 4 different perspective for Leon and Claire in this remake but there aren't because there is no a and b scenario in the remake, they just fool us, the second run should be a parallel story but it isn't... it look like an alternative story like a what if scenario but it s strange since the character in the beginning and at the end crossed path

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
I just found another reason why Claire A makes less sense: the suppressor for the submachine gun. The only reason you even need it is to shoot zombies without catching the attention of lickers or Mister X. However, the suppressor is locked in a glass cabinet in the underground passage, requiring a S.T.A.R.S. batch that won't be in your possession the first time you get there, and the next time you do (optionally, from the sewers), you'll already be done with Mister X and the RPD, rendering the upgrade useless.

The suppressor is in the same place in Claire B if I remember correctly, but unlike in A, the door under the goddess statue will not close behind you the first time you enter the passage, enabling you to go there right after acquring the S.T.A.R.S. batch and still get some use out of your silent submachine gun.

Mr.R

Actually, the supressor for the SMG also makes the gun more stable (because video games...), which makes aiming a little easier. I actually prefer the other way around, Claire A, Leon B, because for some reason I think I found less lickers on Leon's B scenario than on his A one...and the shotgun sucks at killing lickers without the upgrades (especially compared to Claire's GL, which is very efficient on that particular task) so...Leon B is cool for me.

Last edited:

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
Actually, the supressor for the SMG also makes the gun more stable (because video games...), which makes aiming a little easier. I actually prefer the other way around, Claire A, Leon B, because for some reason I think I found less lickers on Leon's B scenario than on his A one...and the shotgun sucks at killing lickers withou the upgrades (especially compared to Claire's GL, which is very efficient on that particular task) so...Leon B is cool for me.
It's probably because key items are in, strategically speaking, better places for speedruns and less backtracking overall. That's why S rank qualifications for the second run is thirty minutes shorter.

Unknown

Claire A Leon B, I think Claire meeting Marvin is more poetic in a way, and how he sees Leon on the monitor in Remake but never gets to meet the new rookie. Seems more fitting.

Claire’s campaign in general is head and shoulders above Leon’s imo too.

Murrdogg93

After going through both scenario pairs, multiple times at this point, I personally prefer Claire A/Leon B, for a number of reasons...

1. Claire has Marvin going out on kinder words than Leon does.
2. Claire finds out about where Chris is by mandatory incident by Marvin, instead of possibly reading his letter.
3. Claire's A gives so much more to the main story involving the Birkin family than Leon A does. Which makes it feel like a true A scenario experience, getting majority of the main story.
4. Claire is usually steps ahead of Leon, throughout most of the story, like getting to the train before he does, regardless of scenario. So it makes sense for her to get to the Police Station first as well.
5. Leon B gives a very deep connection to the Leon vs Tyrant final confrontation. Between seeing him on security cameras, killing Ben, constantly chasing you sooner in the scenario, it's built up much more here.
6. Leon going to check out the train to fight G in its final form makes more sense because Claire would stick with Sherry to protect her, as she has throughout her entire story.

I personally don't mind playing either order, but in terms of Canon, this just seems to make more sense to me.

Murrdogg93

Even though I first played the game the other way around, I think Leon A / Claire B is the intended order this time, for a couple of narrative and gameplay-related reasons.

- I feel Leon's campaign is slightly easier and therefore more suitable for beginners, mainly because of his weapon arsenal. His starting pistol beats Claire's in terms of ammo capacity and reloading time, his shotgun has more ammo lying around and is easier to handle than her grenade launcher, and I also found his magnum a lot more useful than her Uzi.
- Even though Marvin's interactions with both characters are well done, I think it makes more sense for Leon to meet him because they're both cops.
- Claire never gets to raise the Elliot shutter, meaning that she can never explore the small area behind it in her A scenario. Claire B has access to it right away, and Leon A can raise the shutter.
- The A character's first encounter with Mister X happens upon their return from the basement, the B character already runs into him while looking for the medals. Since Leon has to put up with him for longer, it's only fair if he at least meets him later.
- Related to the above, Ben is killed by Mister X through the wall of his cell, leaving it somewhat ambiguous who or what exactly did it. While his death is the same in both scenarios, it's a little less creepy in Leon B because Leon will already have encountered Mister X by that time. There is no such foreshadowing in either of Claire's campaigns, so she might as well just run into him randomly outside the S.T.A.R.S. office.
- Claire gets to explore a little more of the city while heading for the orphanage than Leon on his way to the sewers. With Leon as the A character who is controllable at the gas station and has to reach the RPD via the city streets, both characters get a slice of Raccoon City culture.
- The B character gets to fight the game's true final boss, William in his ultimate form. Since Claire has more interactions with William throughout her campaign, and more connections due to him being the father and stalker of her protégé, she should be the one to finish him off for good.

There is only one little continuity problem with this, namely Sherry stating in RE6 that Claire and Leon saved her life in Raccoon City, even though in this retelling of the events, Leon does nothing to contribute to her survival in any way. This was different in the original Claire A / Leon B, where he would at least get Sherry on the train while Claire was busy creating the vaccine, but this time, the only thing he can do to help is fight William's final form, requiring him to be the B character. Regardless, because of all the reasons I stated above, I still think you get more out of it by playing it in the opposite order.

I can see why you'd think Leon A/Claire B. I actually can see points as to Claire A & Leon B being Canon for gameplay reasons...

1. In Claire A, she meets Leon at the door of the 1st zombie encounter from inside while Leon is outside, much like the original RE 2 did regardless of scenario.

2. In RE 2 Remake, Claire still beats Leon to the G Virus container, to open it for him & the train, regardless of scenario. So it'd make sense for Claire to continuously be ahead of Leon. Also, she has to beat him to the ladder at the balcony because Leon breaks it.

3. B scenario seems to have a bigger zombie problem, especially at the start. Leon seems more reasonably equipped to deal with zombies, with the M19 handgun & Shotgun. M19 has better capacity & faster reload than the Quick Draw Army.

4. A scenario has that awesome first Licker encounter by the STARS office. Since Claire deals with more Lickers, it makes more sense to me for her to have that.

5. Claire also has more interaction with the Birkin family & information revealed about the main villain, William Birkin. Feels more like the main story here or true A scenario. Also Claire's exclusive boss fight is 4th form G, so it seems fitting she has the main story spot. Where Leon doesn't know it's William until the 3rd fight. What he does feel like the side story. Much like Separate Ways in RE 4.

6. Leon's exclusive boss fight is Super Tyrant. Leon B provides much more build up to this final confrontation, like an epic saga. The moment you see him on the security cameras. The much earlier chasing at the STARS office hallway. This adds more to Leon's story when factored in to his later encounters that happen regardless of scenario.

7. Leon's survival skills are truly put to the test with B scenario, as most would agree it's harder than A scenario. Tested enough to definitely fit why the government wanted to recruit him by any means necessary.

Last edited:

Wesker90

Claire A/Leon B is the way to go, I still think Claire has the superior playthrough overall and it's more fun.

Either way it doesn't matter too much as both scenarios don't screw with consistency that much.

Murrdogg93

Also, a possible reason, made by Capcom, for Claire A/Leon B is the intended Canon for RE 2 Remake.

When Capcom did the RE 2 event trailer in Monster Hunter World, they used the famous scene of Leon shooting what is behind Claire. They intentionally used the version where Claire is on the camera's left and Leon on the camera's right. This is the positioning of the characters at the gas station entrance in Claire A/Leon B.

Top Bottom