• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What kind of RE fan are you?

In the Resident Evil community there are a very diverse type of fans. Some claim to only like the 'old school survival horror' games, while others seem to enjoy the newer style more (action based) and then some in the middle who kinda like both but preffer either action / oldschool more..

I find it very rare though to see someone who really genualy likes all the games and take them for what they are. Me for example, I truly do enjoy each and every type of Resident Evil game, I even played the hell out of Umbrella Corps and I think the Gun Survivor series is fun pick up n play.. and I find it sad that so many fans just say they are plain **** games and not even worth being looked at.

Anyone else who actually gives each game a fair chance and have fun with them for what they are? I think some fans here are way too critical..

Flipqy42

Nevermore
I am a fan of all the games, the pre-RE4 series, the post RE4 series, the gun survivor series, the Chronicles series, the Revelations series, ORC. I love just playing through all of them, which is why its killing me that I can't afford to buy RE7 at the moment.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
I've been a fan of all numbered titles before RE7 (and yes, that includes the much hated RE6), the Revelations series and Operation Raccoon City. Of course there have always been some that I've enjoyed more than others, and some that I couldn't really get into, but generally I like both the horror and the action approach as long as I can recognise that the games are still set in the same universe, as I explained here. RE7 is notably the first entry in the main series that I completely skipped because it's too different from what I'm used to and not very appealing to me, and I have to say that if RE continues going down that road (which is likely considering how well it sold), then that's probably it for me. But still, I will never stop loving the old games and I will keep playing them.

Turo602

The King of Kings
People are critical because they have their reasons for loving the series and not every game embodies those reasons. There's nothing negative about people expressing their personal preferences. If a game in the franchise lacks any of the characteristics of the games that made them love the series to begin with, then they have every right to dislike it. Enjoying everything for what it is, is just settling and not everyone is fine with that. Being critical is what helps make anything great.

As for what kind of fan I am, well, pretty much what I described. I know why I love Resident Evil which is why I've been very critical of the games since Resident Evil 4. As a fan, I have my own idea and criteria for what makes Resident Evil what it is and if those standards aren't met or exceeded, then I'll definitely criticize it. However, that doesn't mean I hate or can't enjoy the games for what they are. I'm very capable of judging something based on its own merits. While the fan in me will continue to be disappointed by Capcom's screw ups, I'll always come back because I love the lore, characters, and universe of Resident Evil and I'll enjoy it so long the product is fun, appeals to my tastes, and is well made.

Peep

Something Horrible
I've always enjoyed just about all of the games because I grew up with RE1, 2, 3, and 4 at just around the same time. So I'm generally used to the games being a little action-ey. But I think I enjoy the survival horror side more than action. The older Resident Evil titles just have that fantastic atmosphere that I can never get over, even when I replay them. For example, nearly every time I go to the hallway leading to the Neptune lab in the Guardhouse in REmake, I have to stop and just think "Damn." The music in that section always sent chills down my spine. Although the more action titles may be fun, I cannot get over the feel of the older games, and I'll probably never stop replaying them.

Venomous Oddball

Also Known as Maddy
People are critical because they have their reasons for loving the series and not every game embodies those reasons. There's nothing negative about people expressing their personal preferences. If a game in the franchise lacks any of the characteristics of the games that made them love the series to begin with, then they have every right to dislike it. Enjoying everything for what it is, is just settling and not everyone is fine with that. Being critical is what helps make anything great.
Yeah, a lot are like that, but some people act like people that like the game are complete monsters. :p

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
Yeah, a lot are like that, but some people act like people that like the game are complete monsters. :p

Oh really? Because I've been here for a looong time and I've witnessed it exactly the other way around, with some people outright bullying others and calling them stupid for not liking a game, as if there was nothing more important in the world. (Well, maybe for some people there isn't...)

RedPanda

4x the awesome
I'll always give a RE game a fair chance, but I'm not necessarily going to like it. If they're trying something new, it probably means they're looking for honest feedback, and trying really hard to like everything isn't necessarily to anyone's benefit. That said, I personally absolutely love every single numbered entry into the series. The only RE game I've actually played that I genuinely disliked was ORC. It wasn't a terribly made game, but there are so many games out there that do what it did a lot better. The only thing I truly liked about it was Heroes mode, and not because I enjoyed the mode but because I got to see updated visuals of the characters from 2 and 3.
Oh really? Because I've been here for a looong time and I've witnessed it exactly the other way around, with some people outright bullying others and calling them stupid for not liking a game, as if there was nothing more important in the world. (Well, maybe for some people there isn't...)
I agree, sadly. Though I gotta ask, was that true of 6 as well? Retroactively it seems like the cool thing to do is hate on it (granted people loved to hate on 5 until 6 came out so idk).

LEON.S.KENNEDY

GAMER MERIT
Old school more like RS4 type of style but i like all resident evil games except for code veronica! And kinda deslike re5 bu somehow great.re6 well honestly the whole subject is open for a debate... Point is as long the story going and old re game spirit still on im sure its my type

Venomous Oddball

Also Known as Maddy
I've seen quite a few posts that make me say that.

Last edited:

Mr.R

I normally like almost all of the RE titles, for what they are. I never had much of a problem with the action direction, as long as the games are good and appealing to me (of course, it's a personal opinion. Everyone has the right of not liking something.). Also, any RE is passive of critics. The old school games are good, but I pretty much prefer playing RE6 than CVX for instance, and for me, RE4 is still the best of the series. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy Remake or RE2. Hell...I can even have fun on Operation Raccoon City (specially with the Spec Ops campaign.). To me, in regard to RE, the most important thing is having fun while you're playing. Is to enjoy the game, and most RE for me are very enjoyable (Except Gun Survivor 2. God, this game is awful.)

JujuLodestar

Lurking is my jam.
I've enjoyed all of them with the exception of 1 and Umbrella Corps.

My particular favorites will be RE5, ORC, and the Darkside Chronicles however. They weren't really RE. But they were something that RE has always been for me.

Fun.

RE is the one series that I can consistently enjoy no matter how much it changes for one reason or another. I liked the arcade-esque feel of the ones I've listed. But I like the complex puzzles of the first ones too.

7 unfortunately is a pass because those controls feel bloody terrible and it's just waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too short to justify 60 USD.

KManX89

Rocket Trash Panda
7 unfortunately is a pass because those controls feel bloody terrible and it's just waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too short to justify 60 USD.

You realize the classics (RE1-3, CV) could be completed in as little as a few hours, too as long as you know where everything is, right? Hell, I've seen speedruns as short as an hour and a half of the old games before.

Turo602

The King of Kings
You realize the classics (RE1-3, CV) could be completed in as little as a few hours, too as long as you know where everything is, right? Hell, I've seen speedruns as short as an hour and a half of the old games before.

Yeah, I never understood the complaints over length with recent titles like Revelations or this. With the exception of 4 and 6, the games have never been long. Though, I feel Resident Evil 7 suffers not from length, but lack of replay value. There's unlockables and madhouse, sure, but every game has that type of stuff and more.

JujuLodestar

Lurking is my jam.
Any game can be speedrunned if you try hard enough.

But the point is If one dollar was for every hour. 60-80 for nothing more than a 15 hour game with LESS base content than the older games? Hell no. Even less is the Mercs-esque mode is essentially DLC.

Not to mention the game has by far the worst replayability than any game in the series I've seen.

Fans will complain about anything and everything. RE6 was too long they should have just focused on Leons campaign. RE7 is too short.. I honestly feel sad that Capcom has such fanbase complaining all the time. I can tell they are really trying to please everyone.

Turo602

The King of Kings
Fans will complain about anything and everything. RE6 was too long they should have just focused on Leons campaign. RE7 is too short.. I honestly feel sad that Capcom has such fanbase complaining all the time. I can tell they are really trying to please everyone.

Those are very poor simplifications of the issues fans have with those games. Don't try to vilify the fans and act like we should sympathize with poor little Capcom. Had they not distanced the series from the fans to begin with, they wouldn't be in this mess.

Last edited:

N7Valentine

Jill Sandwich Lover Since 1996
Really? From my experience, in comparison to other fanbases, the RE one is relatively tame. Try Mass Effect. Those fans whine and b*tch literally about everything :rolleyes:

Those are very poor simplifications of the issues fans have with those games. Don't try to vilify the fans and act like we should sympathize with poor little Capcom. Had they not distanced the series from the fans to begin with, they wouldn't be in this mess.
Pretty much this!

Top Bottom