• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What does IGN stand for?

Meg

So bin ich eben
I was thinking about this yesterday, and I came up with some funny possibilities.

It started out with an actual guess:
International Gaming News

And theeeeeeen, it devolved into this:
Interesting Grammar Nazi
Intergalactic Gym Number
Ironic Guerilla Nurse
Indefinable Great Nutter

What do you think IGN stands for? :lol:

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
Sorry but you're all wrong, it stands for Irate Gnome Natter.

EDIT
It could be Goblin and not Gnome. Yep, I think it's Goblin.

Last edited:

ChrisRedfield1994

Potato Lobber
Incompetent Gnome Network?

The Imagine refers to the publisher, Imagine Media, who formed it. Now, Imagine is Future US (the US division of publishing giant Future plc).

Turo602

The King of Kings
Actually, according to recent information from a mod over at IGN, the name stands on its own. IGN means IGN and stands for IGN. Nothing else, nothing more.

Here's the quote from peer-ign.

"Ha, actually, neither is correct. We launched as Imagine Games Network in the '90s when our parent company was Imagine Media (they're now called Future). We then merged two networks, IGN (Imagine Games Network) and The Den (=Digital Entertainment Network) in 1999. The latter was all about movies, TV, etc. Around that same time IGN ceased to be "Imagine Games Network" since our parent company became Affiliation/Snowball (we spun out of Imagine into a standalone company).

Today, IGN stands for IGN.

As for entertainment content, I'd estimate we're at about 80:20 games to entertainment overall (most wikis are games, most video content is either gaming-based or mixed entertainment). That said, non-gaming content is very popular. So we're happy and proud to continue to feature it -- as we have for the last 15 years."

cheezMcNASTY

Entertain me.
Premium
Rupert Murdoch's Crack-Baby-Piss-Poor-Excuse For Gaming News.

What, that doesn't spell IGN? Well they don't really do honest news or reviews so I guess that's even.

Reactions: Meg
Top Bottom