• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 3 Remake What are some things Re3 remake did that you liked?

Zacmac90

We all know Re3 Remake fell way below our expectations leaving many fans dissatisfied. But I don't think the game wasn't without its positives. Here's what I liked about Resident Evil 3:

Tyrell Patrick- Unlike in the Original wheres he basically is an afterthought, Tyrell is a solid secondary character with some character development and gets a good amount of screen time surviving nearly to the end before being killed off.

The Rooftop fight- I liked the fight because not only were you forced to keep moving and take him out from a distance on but it reminded me of the fight right before his final mutation and the clock tower fight to an extent.

The dodge mechanic- I felt this was a good move since Jill being a police officer should and would be able to get out of harms way and get a few lucky shots in.

Filling in gaps at the RPD- When Carlos and Tyrrell arrive at the RPD we see Marvin and Brad (zombified) where Brad attacks Marvin revealing he got infected in the first place along with the licker killing the cops in the RPD and what made the hole in the locker room.

Anyway those were some of the things about Re3 that I liked or least felt like they were done right. What do you think?

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
  • Fleshing out Carlos/Jill/Tyrell so they weren't so bland.
  • Improving the dodge mechanic.
  • Revamping the last Nemesis phase, he was actually a bit of a challenge on harder difficulties.
  • This one is kind of controversial but I liked the Nemesis monster/dog phase. It reminded me of the last Birkin phase in the original RE2, which was revamped for its remake to be a bit different.
  • Changing up the in-game Nemesis encounters, I felt he was more manageable in the remake and not as much of a nuisance.

RipvanX

Jill’s Apartment
I liked how the game started out in the apartment. It was a nice treat and gave us a small glimpse into Jill’s life and what she was up to leading into RE3 events.
Pacing
This game is certainly more engaging and has less down time than the original, there is little filler to be had and provides a more cinematic feel for action fans of the series.
Dodge
Like mentioned, it’s nice to be able to control this mechanic better in the remake and allow you to strategize your way around hordes of enemies which becomes detrimental on higher difficulties.
Characters
I basically liked all the characters more in the remake, they felt more human and had their own personalities. Who would of thought Tyrell would have been so likable? Carlos was also better and not a moody crybaby like his OG counterpart. (Wahhh it’s just a piece of paper comes to mind). I also like how Jill meets up with Kendo one last time.
Hospital
This area was vastly improved and expanded upon. The creepy atmosphere was the best in the game and some of the notes left behind painted a great picture how bad things became before everyone was wiped out. Dr. Bard was also a necessary addition to lead our protagonists to a potential vaccine, rather than just stumbling upon it on some random chance.
Hunters
Both the Beta and Gamma Hunters were awesome in this. Not only did they look cool and unique, they actually felt like a threat and could kill you on a moments notice. You have to be alert when fighting these things.
Nemmy Forms
I thought his dog and final forms were a unique take on him. They looked cool and gave his encounters more variety towards the later half, rather than him stay in humanoid form like the OG.

Last edited:

PinkHerb

Healing Item
The Dodge mechanic
No Grave Digger
Nemesis final boss form, i like it better than the original
Carlos' new design...except for his 'classic' look *Shiver*

Murrdogg93

I haven't finished the original RE 3, so I can't fully judge. But I will say that the remake did...

1. The apartment chase sequence was awesome.
2. Much better dodge mechanic.
3. Much better characters being fleshed out.
4. I haven't played the original Hospital sequence but the remake Hospital overall was really enjoyable. I felt the atmosphere & tension.
5. Final Boss, being the rail gun instead of luring into the rail gun is interesting. Not sure which I like more since I haven't played the original fight.

justliketheplant

Character development/dialogue. It wasn't just passable, it was GOOD. Though no one questioning why a pharmaceutical company would have its own paramilitary task force bothers me now, for some reason :p

The extras you unlock create replay value. Playing to unlock them, playing with them, and then playing without them just to feel the challenge again.

I liked Nemesis' appearances being a story beat rather than random encounters. He's just too overpowered to be fun in the original. There is a little bit of danger removed here because you're SUPPOSED to run away from him, and that predictability sort of removes a bit of the thrill, but I rage quit this way, way, WAY less than the original LOL.

I really enjoy the cinematic quality to the gameplay? Usually it bothers me when games feel like interactive cut scenes, but it didn't here. The story/atmosphere reminds me of 90s horror/sci-fi movies where they DGAF about trying to get a PG-13 rating. This feels like the experience the Resident Evil: Apocalypse movie was supposed to be.

Hardware

1. I really, really liked Jill's design. From face to outfit - I always had troubles with the idea of a former Delta-Force-operative-turned-cop running around in the midst of a zombie apocalypse in a miniskirt and tube top.
  2. The writing and the acting was superb, the best in the series. The character actually feel like real characters for the first time ever.
  3. The way they reinvented the beginning (Jill's apartment)
  4. The hospital with Carlos (save for the final RE4-style stand)
  5. They actually nailed the classic RE atmosphere: the game world is dark and gloomy. That's why it still feels like RE despite the heavy changes.
  6. Although a bit disappointed at first, I gotta say Nemesis' new design (in its first stage) grew on me...especially once you get the chance of seeing it with different light-sources casting shadows on it: it can become pretty creepy, so the idea of messing him up like that wasn't that bad.
  7. The zombified-Brad scene is actually a quite clever way to link the game with RE:2
  8. The Hunters were great - I am not 100% sure on the Predator-style mandibles, but everything else about them was excellent. Too bad we didn't get more of them.
  9. The Pale-Heads were a nice addition, even though I would've preferred seeing the original naked super-zombies
  10. The clock-tower boss fight, despite the radical changes, is pretty satisfactory.
  11. The graphics were excellent.
  12. This is a bit of a double-edged sword, but the game pacing is great: it's a game you cannot put down once you start playing (and get past the opening - despite my appreciation for the way they reinvented it, it's quite the drag when you just want to play). Of course I wish it had been longer and all, but I cannot deny it runs pretty smooth.

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
1. Amazing graphics and lightning.
2. Jill's apartment.
3. Good acting.

That's about it. Everything else is a disappointment.

Unknown

I have only finished it once...but I remember liking the hospital part.

I never liked the original game so I was hoping this remake would make me like the whole ending chapter of Raccoon.

Ikawaru

Unfortunately the games short development time, linearity, and low fairly budget are glaring but there's a few things I did like:

1) Hospital part was indeed an improvement over the original.

2) Jill looks great especially in her S.T.A.R.S. uniform in which you can change into.

3) Replay value was quite nice when you factor in the challenge unlocks. I got to apply my "Art of War" philosophy on what to unlock first. Any military academy freshman is taught that amateurs talk about strategy and tactics whilst experts talk about logistics (medical supplies, food, ammo, fuel, weapon supply, transportation, etc) so using that logic, I didn't drop any upgrades into things like "More damage" and "Super Gun X" but actually into upgrades that expanded my inventory space, gave me more ammo when crafting, and a coin that regenerated my health gradually so I would rarely have to pick up health items. It was an astonishing success as I beat 'Nightmare' mode with virtually no sweat.

Last edited:

Ridley Lockhart

Jill’s Apartment
I liked how the game started out in the apartment. It was a nice treat and gave us a small glimpse into Jill’s life and what she was up to leading into RE3 events.
Pacing
This game is certainly more engaging and has less down time than the original, there is little filler to be had and provides a more cinematic feel for action fans of the series.
Dodge
Like mentioned, it’s nice to be able to control this mechanic better in the remake and allow you to strategize your way around hordes of enemies which becomes detrimental on higher difficulties.
Characters
I basically liked all the characters more in the remake, they felt more human and had their own personalities. Who would of thought Tyrell would have been so likable? Carlos was also better and not a moody crybaby like his OG counterpart. (Wahhh it’s just a piece of paper comes to mind). I also like how Jill meets up with Kendo one last time.
Hospital
This area was vastly improved and expanded upon. The creepy atmosphere was the best in the game and some of the notes left behind painted a great picture how bad things became before everyone was wiped out. Dr. Bard was also a necessary addition to lead our protagonists to a potential vaccine, rather than just stumbling upon it on some random chance.
Hunters
Both the Beta and Gamma Hunters were awesome in this. Not only did they look cool and unique, they actually felt like a threat and could kill you on a moments notice. You have to be alert when fighting these things.
Nemmy Forms
I thought his dog and final forms were a unique take on him. They looked cool and gave his encounters more variety towards the later half, rather than him stay in humanoid form like the OG.
Basically all of this.

Definitely Jill in her apartment. I liked all the UBCS, Mikhail, Nicholai, Tyrell(who i thought was a supervisor in the OG RE3?), Carlos(I thought he looked just fine in Umbrella Chronicles, and i wish he had more of an accent nothing too thick and heavy but something like how Nicholai and Mikhail have distinctive Russian accents. He doesn't have to call Jill "chica" or whatever).

The gameplay looks pretty smooth, like RE2R, but this time around with RE3R there is the added doge mechanic, which OG RE3 also introduced back in the day.

I guess the city looked ok...tbh i would've liked if they used more of something similar to Outbreak's designs for Raccoon City those were ACE it'd be nice to have a full city Uptown/Downtown all that jazz.

That's really all i can muster up for now..the rest of what i want to say is mostly less than positive

It is nice to read what other fans DID enjoy, so i can kind of possibly see it from a different angle, under a different light and maybe kind of enjoy it vicariously.

RipvanX

Basically all of this.

Definitely Jill in her apartment. I liked all the UBCS, Mikhail, Nicholai, Tyrell(who i thought was a supervisor in the OG RE3?), Carlos(I thought he looked just fine in Umbrella Chronicles, and i wish he had more of an accent nothing too thick and heavy but something like how Nicholai and Mikhail have distinctive Russian accents. He doesn't have to call Jill "chica" or whatever).

The gameplay looks pretty smooth, like RE2R, but this time around with RE3R there is the added doge mechanic, which OG RE3 also introduced back in the day.

I guess the city looked ok...tbh i would've liked if they used more of something similar to Outbreak's designs for Raccoon City those were ACE it'd be nice to have a full city Uptown/Downtown all that jazz.

That's really all i can muster up for now..the rest of what i want to say is mostly less than positive

It is nice to read what other fans DID enjoy, so i can kind of possibly see it from a different angle, under a different light and maybe kind of enjoy it vicariously.
I treat the reimaginings as separate games entirely (RE:2, RE:3, RE:4). They exist in their own canon which helps me to decouple them from the original source material. With that mindset, I can like RE:3 for what it is. It really does feel like a campaign for RE6 at times and even matches it’s pacing. The only part that I really dislike is the hospital siege, it’s so cringy watching those shutters moving so damn slow. Nemesis 2nd dog fight could of been replaced with something new but oh well.

Ridley Lockhart

I guess it's just one of those things. I also try to ignore other discrepancies like Raccoon being annihilated by a nuke in RE3 but in the Outbreak games the city is bombed with several rockets. I'll just have to ignore stuff like that, just like i pretend Star Wars Ep. 7-9 don't exist.

As far as looking at the reimagined RE games(RE2R, RE3R and RE4R this far) the little changes some im okay with others not so much. For instance i wonder if Capcom intentionally modeled Claire Redfield in RE2R to resemble Zoey from Left4Dead?

oh yeah that part in the hospital was lame, and they could've done more with the Beta Hunters.

And Nemesis I'm wondering why they completely skipped his 2nd mutation like when you fight him at the Sewage Facility I'm the OG.

pa-pappys8675309

I liked Nemesis morphing into a four legged monster, it looked pretty cool to me. I liked the Umbrella facility too. I'll only give my 'pros' since that's what you asked for lol.

Top Bottom