• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 6 Was this game really bad enough to warrant ( what is essentially) a reboot?

Bran

Independent Film Director
I don't think RE6 is a terrible game. It is a well made game. But, some of the gameplay mechanics and innovation to the series aside...

I think RE6 is a TERRIBLE Resident Evil entry. Many of the enemies were still of the L4D variety (which is also affecting other series as well). A few cool monsters, but most of it is that "class type" and I hate that. Monster design in the series has gone downhill over the years.

The story was terrible. The general concept was great, but the execution was lazy, and went further away from what made RE such a cool series.

Resident Evil 6 caused me to abandon the series for good. I sold most of my games (minus 1-3 and CV) and I shelved everything in a closet. I realized that I was no longer its target audience.

It was RE7 that brought me back in. And the RE2 Remake as well. The series finally returned to what made it a great series to begin with.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
I agree. I have said it many times, but the fact that RE6 lazily copies other games in order to fit in with the time period is really disheartening. I played through it for a second time in 2020 and while I had more fun because my expectations were lower, it still suffers from the outright bloat and feeling of plagiarism that plagues it.

Rain611

You can't kill me.
I must be the only person who wasn't in love with Revelations 2. It was probably the lopsided co-op play mostly. I played it with my husband and having it where 1 person is just walking around pointing at zombies while the other essentially carries the story was really annoying from a gameplay standpoint. I loved RAID mode but I also love Mercs 3D; no main game needed to enjoy something like that. The story wasn't terrible but neither was it amazing or memorable in my opinion.

I would've liked 6 more if it was just the Chris/Piers campaign, especially if they toned down the action a little. While 6 certainly wasn't one of the better games in the series, I didn't hate it either. Not enough to leave the series or anything, I just didn't play it after the first go round, unless you count Mercenaries. But the same could be said about OG RE3 lol.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
Yeah, I have to imagine playing full time as Moira or Natalia would not be that fun. haha. But I think the enemy designs in that game are amazing. I was actually scared to go to the next area each and every time. I thought the FEAR bracelet was a little bit silly. Like, no matter how calm Claire is, she will have adrenaline pumping through her as she tries to live. lol.

But I did love the game and I did play it solo.

S.T.A.R.S.4892

I absolutely adore Resident Evil 6. It added so much lore to the series, and it brought back some old faces. The new characters felt perfectly in place, and I loved the plethora of new bioweapons. Being able to move while ADS was a series first, and the Stamina Bar allowing you to melee enemies with combos felt right (no longer is Leon only efficient in unarmed combat in cutscenes).

I genuinely have never, and still do not understand, the hate and backlash this entry in the series received from fams and critics. It came out at a time when AAA games were notorious for selling you a third of the game, and holding the rest of the game back as "DLC". Even then, many of those games were lacking in content. Meanwhile, RE6 gave you SO MUCH content, and the entire game was there from launch. You got FOUR entire campaigns, each with a different path / setting / enemy encounters, amazing character development across the board, tons of bonus features and one of the best Mercenaries modes to ever grace the series. To add to this, Capcom could have made a game with Jake's unarmed combat system, alone. Have you ever really played around with that feature in Jake's campaign? You don't even have to use Jake's guns most of the time if you learn how to use his fighting style well.

I could go on and on. Resident Evil 6 is a supreme title to me and I will adore it until I am dead. Never remake RE6, Capcom, please. It's a crown jewel that most people can't seem to notice.

Top Bottom