• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Was Kendo's undead daughter a one time thing?

Zacmac90

Idk about you guys but i find it surprising that Capcom made a scene showing a child undergoing the zombifacation process since they never shown a kid either already a zombie or becoming one due to people possibly being offended. Do you think this is the last time they show a scene with a kid beginning to turn?

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
I think that recent, like-minded media - such as The Walking Dead - has made it more socially acceptable to show these kinds of things happening to children than it probably was in 1998. I don't find this evolution surprising at all; in fact, it is to be expected in an effort to keep up with other zombie/doomsday media.

Let us not also forget the Lisa Trevor storyline added to the Resident Evil remake, which pushed boundaries a bit as well as she was also a minor, though not as young as Kendo's daughter. The orphanage subplot was also a rather disturbing instance of children being used in Umbrella's experimentation so, no, I don't believe this was a one-off.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
It has always annoyed me that kids get special treatment when it comes to on-screen violence. I'm not a gorehound by any means, but it can get downright silly sometimes. If you want proof, just go and throw Natalia off the crane in Revelations 2, and see what it says on the screen: "Fainted." Seriously??

There used to be a car commercial showing a cat being decapitated by the car's closing roof. As a cat lover, I found that extremely distasteful, especially since everyone around me apparently found it funny, and a commercial like that would never have made me buy that car, even if I had a driver's licence. I wouldn't have had the same reaction if that had been a scene in a horror movie about machines coming to life and killing everyone, or something like that, it always depends on the context. So in the context of an apocalyptic game or movie, it should be expected that children can die, too, instead of magically surviving everything unscathed no matter the odds.

Zacmac90

It has always annoyed me that kids get special treatment when it comes to on-screen violence. I'm not a gorehound by any means, but it can get downright silly sometimes

Exactly. Its not like I'm in favor of it because I'm rubbing my hands and thinking "I can't wait to blast these little undead anklebiters" I just like a little bit of realism sprinkled in my survival horror, silly as it may sound.

I give Capcom props for being careful about how they do it but still giving us a small taste.

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
Yeah, keep it going. We saw a kid getting zombiefied in The Last of Us, and Ellie could get her throat slit by the clickers. In a world infested by zombis, noone gets a special treatment.

SentryUnit

We would all welcome the addition of zombie children but too bad its contreversial to be put in due to you know how it will offend people.

The orphange part in the game was pretty disturbing.

Top Bottom