• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil: Village Village wins Steam Game of the Year Award

Ikawaru

Whelp, despite the questionable gameplay elements, and being quite a far cry away from the series' origins, and the fact that their competition (Valheim, New World, Cyberpunk, Forza Horizon 5) was hardly what I would call worthy, we have to congratulate Capcom here. It is our home team and due respect is in order. I just hope this doesn't encourage them to pump out clones of this every year and the fact remains that Village sales aren't anywhere near RE2R and that is the bottom line.

What's most head scratching about this is 'Village' is very poorly optimized on PC and the framerates constantly jump all over the place and I get crashes a lot, yet the biggest PC gaming audience seems to overlook this fact alone :cautious: . I'm beginning to think this 'Master Race' spiel is a myth.

Last edited:

Murderer Enshrined

I can say something bad about re8 if I wanted to, but why should I? I'm in the middle of my 8th run-through of the game. I've gotten so many challenges done (there are 94 challenges and I've managed to complete 84 of them) and I'm working on Knives Out so I can get the 70,000 challenge points that go with it. I've bought many weapons and made many of them infinite. I have 71% of the trophies accomplished. Idk, something just keeps me going back to the game for more. So, I can't knock it.

Frag Maniac

Whelp, despite the questionable gameplay elements, and being quite a far cry away from the series' origins, and the fact that their competition (Valheim, New World, Cyberpunk, Forza Horizon 5) was hardly what I would call worthy, we have to congratulate Capcom here. It is our home team and due respect is in order. I just hope this doesn't encourage them to pump out clones of this every year and the fact remains that Village sales aren't anywhere near RE2R and that is the bottom line.

What's most head scratching about this is 'Village' is very poorly optimized on PC and the framerates constantly jump all over the place and I get crashes a lot, yet the biggest PC gaming audience seems to overlook this fact alone :cautious: . I'm beginning to think this 'Master Race' spiel is a myth.

I don't know, that seems a bit of an overreaction on both performance and gameplay. You're always going to get die hard fans of original installments of a given series saying this or that series isn't the same anymore, but creative devs know how to refresh a series to keep it from going stale. Hell, lots of players said the same about Dead Space 3, even Halo Infinite gets bashed as not being Halo anymore, yet they're two very solid games. In fact I'd say Infinite is by far the best Halo yet for me. I'd say RE8 is also one of the best REs, and unlike DS3, it's sales aren't going to end the series.

As for RE Village performance issues, granted, like many PC games these days, it released in bad condition in this regard, and it even took some incentive from a crack team for them to address it. In a perfect world, it shouldn't have happened in the first place, and not taken 5 months to fix, but it should play fine now after their adding optimization to the anti piracy software. As for crashing, never had any crashing problems, and I don't even have an AMD GPU. Considering it's a game endorsed by AMD and made for AMD GPUs, I'd say that's pretty good. You have to grade on a curve, especially these days.

As for Game of the Year 2021, for me it's Halo Infinite, but I put RE Village as number two, so I can see it getting top billing on Steam. Infinite and Village are also Steam's # 6 and 7 top selling new releases, with Infinite also making # 7 of most played games on Steam (Village didn't make that list). I understand that everyone has their opinions, and many may disagree, but the devs have to look at what's going to sell to stay profitable, and I think CAPCOM have done that while staying reasonably within RE canon, which has evolved like the virus it's written around.

Last edited:

Frag Maniac

In the video, Rich Leadbetter says:

I believe he makes a very good point there.
Yeah, like I implied, in a perfect world, our first play throughs are not plagued with performance issues, and we can get in good runs with smooth capture within the first few weeks of a game's release. Clearly these are not perfect times though, especially with the global pandemic still lingering.

Thus common sense dictates when faced with horrendous performance upon a game's release, you shelve it until it's patched properly. There are many many games out there that fall into this category. Yes, it's irresponsible and a sign of inadequate testing, but it's common in the industry now.

I was also mainly replying to Gun Powder B's comments on performance not really being relevant anymore, as we are about 3 months past the performance patch that fixed the problem. It seems common though that those whom can't accept change in a given series tend to exaggerate endlessly.

Last edited:

Ikawaru

Capcom did announce that they want to make Resident Evil a primarily PC franchise now, but however yes, they're gonna have to master that code because I still do get crashes and volatile framerates even with the patch. As opposed to REmake 2 and 3 which run flawlessly even though it is the same engine.

I have not played Cyberpunk but I wish I was given a free copy to test and see how it stacks up against Village performance wise.

Murderer Enshrined

This is the bottom line:

Those who have already played and finished the game, are screwed. But, good thing it has a lot of replay value. There's nothing that can be done. It is what it is.

But for those who have not played the game at all yet, those who come after, in other words, will be treated to the whole gaming experience that the developers intended in the first place.

I'm still playing and enjoying re8. The ones that appear to be screwed are the ones who bother to try and look at those little frames whip by at a gazillion miles an hour. I don't need to concern myself with that. It's generally a good game. Not Resident Evil, but still a good game.

Frag Maniac

Not Resident Evil, but still a good game.
I really don't get why people always say this when games change settings or character types, while keeping most of the features of the originals The same was claimed about Dead Space 3. It was just as much Dead Space as the first two, just with more outbreaks, as the necromorphs were fighting back hard.

Sure, RE took on a major change with 7, but it was mostly accepted as a needed refresh to a series that was getting stagnant. You still have all the little nuances that make it RE, the puzzles, the search for items to unlock doors, the transformations, etc. Games need to evolve though, best to deal with it.

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
Sure, RE took on a major change with 7, but it was mostly accepted as a needed refresh to a series that was getting stagnant. You still have all the little nuances that make it RE, the puzzles, the search for items to unlock doors, the transformations, etc. Games need to evolve though, best to deal with it.
By using that logic, Silent Hill would be considered a RE game because it involves puzzles, the search for items to unlock doors, etc. And that applies to many other games too, not just Silent Hill.

Games need to evolve and stay fresh, but not to the point of being unrecognizable.

But who am I to judge? The majority of gamers are drop dead in love with Village and think it’s amazing.

Ikawaru

By using that logic, Silent Hill would be considered a RE game because it involves puzzles, the search for items to unlock doors, etc. And that applies to many other games too, not just Silent Hill.

Games need to evolve and stay fresh, but not to the point of being unrecognizable.

But who am I to judge? The majority of gamers are drop dead in love with Village and think it’s amazing.

Agreed, but I think 'Village' fans, by and large, are just a really vocal minority and mostly on Steam (Resident Evil: Half Life will be next lol) because sales figures weren't really all that impressive by RE standards.

Frag Maniac

I was only using a few of the more superficial examples. It DOES stay within the whole Umbrella and manufactured bioweapon theme, with the same main characters interacting. Saying the examples I used somehow makes Silent Hill similar is a bit of a stretch. I never saw why Silent Hill was so popular anyway, or why so may thought Pyramid Head was so scary. When I watch game clips of fights against him it just looks so slow and silly.

I also think if sales of the "new" RE style games were as bad as some claim, they wouldn't be continuing the style with Village. That's especially true during a global pandemic, which makes game development choices even more crucial. That's an indication in itself there's no reason to think the new style is a risk profit wise. I'd almost rather hear those whom don't like the new style say we're crazy for liking it, than cry foul against the devs, because at least that is a personal opinion, vs a distortion of sales credibility.

Last edited:

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
I was only using a few of the more superficial examples. It DOES stay within the whole Umbrella and manufactured bioweapon theme, with the same main characters interacting. Saying the examples I used somehow makes Silent Hill similar is a bit of a stretch. I never saw why Silent Hill was so popular anyway, or why so may thought Pyramid Head was so scary. When I watch game clips of fights against him it just looks so slow and silly.

I also think if sales of the "new" RE style games were as bad as some claim, they wouldn't be continuing the style with Village. That's especially true during a global pandemic, which makes game development choices even more crucial. That's an indication in itself there's no reason to think the new style is a risk profit wise. I'd almost rather hear those whom don't like the new style say we're crazy for liking it, than cry foul against the devs, because at least that is a personal opinion, vs a distortion of sales credibility.
If you're using superficial examples as a defense to explain radical differences, I find it ironic that you accuse me of "stretching it" when I do the same thing. I used Silent Hill as a comparison precisely BECAUSE it is a stretch to call something "Resident Evil" with those extremely vague examples.

Anyway, both Umbrella and bioweapons manufacturing are very minor themes in Village, the former is basically a retroactive throw-away line in a document, and the latter is used as an excuse to incorporate more and more supernatural elements. Telekinesis is literally considered a psychic ability with roots in the paranormal. I have honestly never heard of another entertainment property who has tried to explain things like telekinesis as the result of scientific experiments. Trying is stretching it because if you play through Village without reading any documents you would never think of the monsters' abilities as being scientific. And that's just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the paranormal/supernatural elements in Village. If you're a big fan of RE4 I can see why you're more forgiving to this and might not really understand "what the fuss is about, this is RE!", because RE4 is basically when the series decided to change itself radically in that way.

On a sidenote, the Silent Hill series became popular because it was so different from Resident Evil and offered a more psychological aspect of the survival horror genre. However, it has never been as popular or mainstream as Resident Evil, I always got the impression that the fanbase for Silent Hill is much more niche and similar in ideas. Besides, Pyramid Head was just one character in SH2, the series has so much more to offer than that.

Frag Maniac

If you're using superficial examples as a defense to explain radical differences, I find it ironic that you accuse me of "stretching it" when I do the same thing. I used Silent Hill as a comparison precisely BECAUSE it is a stretch to call something "Resident Evil" with those extremely vague examples.

Anyway, both Umbrella and bioweapons manufacturing are very minor themes in Village, the former is basically a retroactive throw-away line in a document, and the latter is used as an excuse to incorporate more and more supernatural elements. Telekinesis is literally considered a psychic ability with roots in the paranormal. I have honestly never heard of another entertainment property who has tried to explain things like telekinesis as the result of scientific experiments. Trying is stretching it because if you play through Village without reading any documents you would never think of the monsters' abilities as being scientific. And that's just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the paranormal/supernatural elements in Village. If you're a big fan of RE4 I can see why you're more forgiving to this and might not really understand "what the fuss is about, this is RE!", because RE4 is basically when the series decided to change itself radically in that way.

On a sidenote, the Silent Hill series became popular because it was so different from Resident Evil and offered a more psychological aspect of the survival horror genre. However, it has never been as popular or mainstream as Resident Evil, I always got the impression that the fanbase for Silent Hill is much more niche and similar in ideas. Besides, Pyramid Head was just one character in SH2, the series has so much more to offer than that.
Al I'm saying is, there's not enough credibility in my opinion to say this new style of RE somehow isn't RE anymore. That would be like saying God of War 4 isn't God of War anymore because of the radical change from isometric view to full 3D view. What you're calling radical changes, others are calling a needed refresh. Long running game series tend to change, sometimes for worse, sometimes for better. It's purely personal preference as to what it is to you.

Somehow that doesn't change the fact that most whom claim originals in a series are the only ones that got it right, think they have the only valid opinion. As they say, some things never change. A long running series will always be what the creators of it intend it to be, as it evolves. They are not defined by what retro grouches whom are stuck in the past feel they should be. If I had a nickel for every wanna be dev that thinks they have a better idea, I'd be a millionaire.

Just the fact that you say Umbrella and bioweapon manufacturing are minor themes, instead of what the whole RE universe is actually BUILT around, is a prime example of what I'm saying. The disgruntled always paint the picture with their own brush, selectively and nonsensically discounting valid points of others. I'm just really glad you guys have no part in actually making these games. The funny thing is, you'd probably never agree with one another anyways, because you're all so eccentric! Communication is a key part of game development, and you get nowhere with too many cooks in the kitchen.

And enough phooey about the RE4/RE4 fan bashing, we are not naïve. Many of us didn't play the originals because they had horrible camera angles and controls. I HAVE played RE2 & 3 Remakes though, and IMHO they are nowhere near as good as RE4. Many just can't deal with the fact that RE4 was widely accepted, and it also ushered in a lot of new gaming concepts. About the only one of the concepts I could have done without was the QTE. As far as the level and monster design though, it was varied and creative. RE4 is what to many of us put RE on the map.

They didn't even need to bother remastering it until more than 10 years after development, and it never even has had a remastering to the extent of RE2 and 3, why, because it sold so many copies they didn't need to. But go ahead, be in denial about it, I really don't care, RE4 will always be to many of us, the best game in the series. God of War 4 is doing the same for the GoW series. You really don't get a sense for how well liked a game series is until you make it accessible to a broad fanbase. That's why I'll always see those claiming original RE games were the best as a cult following, they just aren't the whole enchilada like they think they are.

Last edited:
Top Bottom