• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 4 Village, church or military island?

Harry Sachz

Ancient Alien
Which area was your favorite?

The island was by far my least favorite. For one, I didn't like that the enemies started shooting guns. Also, outside of the Regenerator, the island area pretty much lacked any horror atmosphere.

Anyway, my favorite was the castle, though the village is also good. I just liked the castle setting, for one, and enemies had cool designs. I feel the castle also had a great atmosphere.

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
I didn't like the Island either. It was too industrial for my tastes... if that makes sense.

Oh, and the castle was my favourite as well. I was SO terrified the first few times I played through that section - not to mention religious zealots in general are uber creepy. And I have to admit, the Garradors always disturbed and fascinated me to no end.

APV

Wait, Who stole me Haggis?
I liked the village....I know people can say it was a little bit boring but when you start the game for the first time the games atmosphere and environment spooks you out and keeps the heart and mind going. Plus for a brucey bonus when i get to kill the Chainsaw guy in the village centre and take the gem off him i find that highly amusing....Cause when i play i usually rat a tat tat his head straight after he starts the chainsaw up so its a case of 'Down boy' after i kill him!

Xi.

G-Infected Canadian Bacon
Since i have a bad habit of making long posts...

TL;DR warning, scroll to bottom for my favorite area.:)

For me first time through, i enjoyed every area, the Village really did have that horror feel to it, when you first arrive, thinking the villagers are all just bat s*** crazy, oh well, get Ashley, mission accomplished, until after Leon is injected with a plaga egg, of course.
then you realize something is at work. Crazy Villagers, mutant geco in the lake, being knocked unconscious due to the egg hatching, waking up at the twilight of night, surrounded by parasite infected villagers, definitely gave the survival horror feel to it, especially after that moment you sit there and think "Oh man, Leon, what have you gotten yourself into now"

The Castle... You'd think you would be safe from the villagers in there, but nope, after running into the monks in the church back in the village, you know you would be seeing more of them in the castle. The theme definitely was set right for it, especially with the monks chanting as they'd approach you.
The hedge maze, Garradors, Novistators, the hedge maze, sewers, mines, i thought the mood was set perfectly.

The Island, was mehish, but like i said before, first time going through, and running into your first regenerator, definitely enough to make you run with your tail between your legs without giving a second thought. It definitely gave you an idea of what Saddler was planning to use las plagas for.

But all in all, every area was my favorite, but the most was the Castle, even when i play RE4 today, that battle with Verdugo after Salazar sends him after you, is just epic, first time i ever played, just before i fought him, i couldn't touch the game for almost two months, i got up to the point where the cutscene of Verdugo peering out of the sewage pipe that you passed not even 10 seconds prior, and shut the game off in pure fear.

VP-70

The Confucius of ReNews...Cheers KK.
Village for me.

the village felt more real...you could feel the tension build during the village scenes as the day turned to night and the plot thickened.

Then it went to hell in a hand cart from the castle onwards.

the Castle was like stepping into a time machine...it totally felt out of place and the whole mood of the game went from suspension to utter nonsense.

I mean, i can handle parasitic mind control, but a giant statue chasing you down a hall ? from there it just got stupid.

The island.... hmmmm.. whatever. The second you set foot on said island the game just loses total control..

the game basically goes from, eerie village with weirdo residents... to castlevania then ends up at james bond on a baddies secret island.

APV

Wait, Who stole me Haggis?
Love the signature and i agree with you regarding the castle, it seemed to kind of kill off the suspense of the game!

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium

Which area was your favorite?

The island was by far my least favorite. For one, I didn't like that the enemies started shooting guns. Also, outside of the Regenerator, the island area pretty much lacked any horror atmosphere.

Anyway, my favorite was the castle, though the village is also good. I just liked the castle setting, for one, and enemies had cool designs. I feel the castle also had a great atmosphere.
I liked the village, but when I got to the castle I thought it had to be the best, nothing could possibly be better. Just the actual castle without the enemies is breathtaking! All the polished stone, flames and water, nice colors and patterns. And a fantastic soundtrack to go with it. This would be enough for me, but I got enemies too?! And not just any enemies; creepy zealots with hypnotizing chants.
I liked the castle itself the most, but no areas on the Castle map was bad. I liked the mines and tunnels too, but they are nothing to look at.

The Church was my favorite. Creepy infected monks mixed with old Cathedral decor is pretty scary to me.
You mean the church (village map) or the cathedral (castle map)? I liked the both. I even liked the huge Salazar statue and didn't have time to think it's weird that it started running after me. :p

I didn't like the Island either. It was too industrial for my tastes... if that makes sense.

Oh, and the castle was my favourite as well. I was SO terrified the first few times I played through that section - not to mention religious zealots in general are uber creepy. And I have to admit, the Garradors always disturbed and fascinated me to no end.
Almost everyone said that they didn't like the island so I was surprised to actually like it. I like that the enemy have some real weapons and not just farm tools. The helicopter area seems more like an action game but I welcomed it. I think some action spots are good, it gives variety. I even liked the barren environment. <3

The bottom line is I agree with Xi: Every area is my favorite. They all brilliant, but for the eyes Salazar's castle is the prettiest. :)

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium

Almost everyone said that they didn't like the island so I was surprised to actually like it. I like that the enemy have some real weapons and not just farm tools. The helicopter area seems more like an action game but I welcomed it. I think some action spots are good, it gives variety. I even liked the barren environment. <3

The bottom line is I agree with Xi: Every area is my favorite. They all brilliant, but for the eyes Salazar's castle is the prettiest. :)
I agree...I didn't dislike it either...It's not my favorite part but considering how close it is to the end it made a great climax...

Xi.

G-Infected Canadian Bacon
I agree...I didn't dislike it either...It's not my favorite part but considering how close it is to the end it made a great climax...
Like i said in my last post, walking past that drain pipe queuing that cutscene where verdugo is peering out of it, first time through, pure terror.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Like i said in my last post, walking past that drain pipe queuing that cutscene where verdugo is peering out of it, first time through, pure terror.
It put me on my toes and got me breathing heavy...However if there was an RE scene that got me filled with pure terror...First appearance of Lisa Trevor...

Domasio

Leon Sandwich ^_^
The village was creepy, and the Spanish expletives freaked me the hell out (I get scared when I don't understand what they're saying :p).

The castle was awesome, mainly because when you use Ashley, and I know she is useless, in fact that is the part I like, when you use her you have no way to protect yourself, and I totally though i'd be surrounded by enemies as her.

The military island .... I'd almost say it is pretty much a taster of the entire of RE5 for those that haven't yet played it, all action and no real scary threats (other than regenerators/iron maidens).

Overall, I liked the village, it was just like I wanted from a RE title. I know lots would disagree with that, but with the originals, although amazing in themselves, you knew it would be zombies, zombies, zombies. With 4, you didn't know what was going to happen, or what your enemies were exactly, and the gory, dirty, downright wrong living conditions of the villagers kept me wondering why the hell they lived like that, and if it was anything to do with whatever they were infected with (and I was right, they loooved rotten food :p). The atmosphere was awesome, was more (what's going to happen now?) than the castle, although it was lacking in puzzles, which I love doing :D

Top Bottom