• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil: Village Upgrading weapons

Jamesy

In my opinion the best thing about re8 is the ability to upgrade the weapons. That's the only aspect of the game that gives it any replay value.

Do you agree?

Rain611

You can't kill me.
In my opinion the best thing about re8 is the ability to upgrade the weapons. That's the only aspect of the game that gives it any replay value.

Do you agree?
I don't agree that this is what gave the game replay value. I think upgrading weapons in general is really nothing special anyway to be honest. I beat RE8 10 times in the first 2 weeks of release, not because I could upgrade the guns but because I wanted to get all the bonus stuff and the trophies. As it is, you can go through the game and not use much ammo other than on bosses if you use speed run strategies which is what I tend to do.

Frag Maniac

This is my 3rd play through, which I'm a good ways into, and not once have I thought about fully upgrading a weapon to get infinite ammo (if that's what you mean OP). So no, I don't base replay value on weapon upgrades. I don't even base it on the bonus stuff you can get with CP (not so far anyway), as I've yet to even use such items. I'm more focused on improving basic strategies, like maximizing funds and ammo via upgrading capacity only when the mags are empty, knowing where all the Magnum ammo is (you'd be surprised how many miss the two rounds at the Altar before the final boss), and calculating what optional bosses I can kill.

One of the things I really respect about the game's design, despite some ridiculing it, is that although you can now buy ammo, The Duke never has much to sell, except for handgun ammo. This forces you to maximize your ammo by the means mentioned, and hitting your shots, and picking the best moments and places to shoot, like after the Mill Giant drops down, and his head goes still for a bit.

Sure, there's a lot to the game, especially considering it's length, but there's also a lot to know about just gameplay tactics, aside from all the bonus stuff. This and things like adding more enemies and increasing their speed on the hardest difficulty mode are what really adds replay value best to me.

Last edited:

Ikawaru

I didn't much care for that mechanic.

This. Weapon upgrades are stupid unless you count attachments like suppressors, sights, grips, extended magazines, ammo, etc. I really think the game would have better off w/o them and rebalanced the game as such as they add a layer of artificiality.

Frag Maniac

This. Weapon upgrades are stupid unless you count attachments like suppressors, sights, grips, extended magazines, ammo, etc. I really think the game would have better off w/o them and rebalanced the game as such as they add a layer of artificiality.
What's not artificial in a very much Sci Fi nature horror game? Realism in weaponry makes sense in tactical shooters that are more real world based, but even many of those type games have unrealistic weapon upgrades.

I mean if we really wanted to nit pick, there ARE ways to make a gun more powerful for example, like higher grain rounds, boring out the barrel, etc, just imagine it's something like that without the gun nerd details. I really don't think games like this need appeal to gun nerds though, that's not their purpose.

Ikawaru

What's not artificial in a very much Sci Fi nature horror game? Realism in weaponry makes sense in tactical shooters that are more real world based, but even many of those type games have unrealistic weapon upgrades.

I just don't feel it works for Resident Evil. As others have said many times, they keep incorporating stuff that works for other games but slowly erode the integrity of Resident Evil with them. Resident Evil, from the start, at least has had a semi-authentic approach to weapons, although RE devs have always had a thing for magnums and making them way OP (In real life a 5.56x45 NATO round actually does more damage to a fleshy target than most magnum bullets, though not armored hard targets), guns at least SEEMED authentic until RE4 or so.

Frag Maniac

I just don't feel it works for Resident Evil. As others have said many times, they keep incorporating stuff that works for other games but slowly erode the integrity of Resident Evil with them. Resident Evil, from the start, at least has had a semi-authentic approach to weapons, although RE devs have always had a thing for magnums and making them way OP (In real life a 5.56x45 NATO round actually does more damage to a fleshy target than most magnum bullets, though not armored hard targets), guns at least SEEMED authentic until RE4 or so.
The simple answer to that is RE4 not only pioneered many shooter innovations, but is also still their best selling title. Some even feel it's worthy of a remaster. At some point they have to sell what's popular, despite their original concepts. I really don't see the move this direction as anything bad though, especially in such a Sci Fi game.

Ikawaru

The simple answer to that is RE4 not only pioneered many shooter innovations, but is also still their best selling title. .

Resident Evil 7 is now their best selling game, and anyone with a brain knows at this point that sales or popularity does not necessarily equate to "Good" or else Justin Bieber and Facebook would be classified as timeless masterpieces in their respective mediums. I don't think either will go down in history as such.

Also, implying "Gun Nerds" can't also be Resident Evil fans sounds a bit ignorant, especially considering most titles have plenty of weaponry, though every character would be completely deaf at this point from firing thousands of unsuppressed rounds in such tight spaces w/o hearing protection. :p

Last edited:

Frag Maniac

Resident Evil 7 is now their best selling game, and anyone with a brain knows at this point that sales or popularity does not necessarily equate to "Good" or else Justin Bieber and Facebook would be classified as timeless masterpieces in their respective mediums. I don't think either will go down in history as such.

If it is it's only best selling now due to a bigger population and large number of people gaming in general. For well over a decade, RE4 was the game that dwarfed others in the series in sales, and pioneered a lot of shooter designs. I also wasn't implying sales are what makes a game good. To use your phrase, "anyone with a brain" knows devs, especially in these times, need to consider what's going to bring in profits. This is all the more true after RE5 and 6 were not so successful. I mean it should be obvious to most, that this trend of remakes indicates devs like to stick to what's tried and true, vs taking risks.

It really matters not whether big sales indicate a better game experience, especially since that is a very personal preference thing. Suffice it to say, those that sell the best, are most popular among the fanbase. Whether that is acceptable to those whom don't like the new direction, I could care less. In making both remakes and new games, I feel they are doing a good job of trying to appease everyone.

It also matters where one gets the sales info, as it can vary quite a lot, and whether inflation is factored in. Two sources I've already checked both show RE4 ahead of RE7 though. It's very hard to get really accurate info on such things. Devs might want to play up more recent titles as big selling, only to get more people buying them, and then there's digital sales, which are often not accurately counted, as well as any promotional or addon content, gameplay or otherwise, which can be considered part of the profits.

Last edited:

Ikawaru

Uhg, someone really needs to remake Parasite Eve already, so we can get a direct comparison of the direction RE is taking and the direction a renewed PE takes and compare them to see which suits me in 2021 better, I will then jump ship and declare myself an adversary of the one I like least.

In the 90's/early 00's, Parasite Eve was the game that was unrealistic as Hell and had completely unbalanced weapons and senseless upgrades but to me, it suited the gameplay fine because the other factors called for it. Resident Evil, though sci fi, was the more "grounded" title, and less fantastical and didn't need all that upgrading crap because the other factors didn't call for it.

Bring on the competition already! I would laugh my ass off if a PE remake actually became more sci fi and tacticool than fantasy.

Frag Maniac

I don't know man, it seems to me pretty much EVERYTHING in the RE universe is very much Sci Fi.

[EDITED]
Wait, am I still talking to the same person? Weren't you just posting as "Mellow Yellow" before?

Top Bottom