• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The only thing that ruined Wesker in the films.

Mark Gayton

Is that he's so damn cheesy! I'm watching Afterlife now and it's just ...so cheesy....such bad acting.

Storyofmylife

The watchful protector.
For me, he's way too much of a baby-face. Wesker should be intimidating. When I have the sudden urge to reach through the screen and pinch your cheeks, you're not being an effective Albert Wesker. Period.

Agreed. I always thought Jason Isaacs should have played Wesker, he still would've been sexy, but in a more "dangerous" way. He's been a blonde villain before too!

But then again, he'd probably never sign on for an Anderson made Resident Evil.
Jason_Isaacs_as_Lucius_Malfoy_Harry_Potter_1.jpg

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
I actually thought he did perfect...I thought he's been the best character in the movies based of the games...as far as cheesy goes...Wesker in the in the games is cheesy in some way or another...But with just enough realism for it to be acceptable...And I love that about him because people in real life can be cheesy...Though Isaacs would be a good Wesker I agree...

Carter478

I think he was an alright actor his acting was cheesy though RE isn't RE without a bit of cheesyness. I do think he should of looked more intimidating though :p

Rain611

You can't kill me.
I liked Wesker in Afterlife. I think he probably should've perfected the accent a little more but that's about it. That having been said though, I've only met one person who could do a perfect Wesker impression lol.

Lizzy

I very much liked film Wesker. With none of his cells dying from the T virus, he should look young and I didn't take it as 'cheesiness', just arrogance. Shawn Roberts reminded me far more of early game Wesker than the cartoonish super villain he is in 5.

Lizzy

But he was playing the 'cartoonish super villain he was in 5'. ;)
In the first half of the film, Shawn was being classic, ruthless and menacing Wesker with quiet, smirking superiority. Whilst he was over the top in the second half of the film, it was at least explained as the T virus effecting his self control.

Whereas, RE5 Wesker's madness came out of no where, and his plan to use the Uroboros virus made no sense and was completely out of character.

At least wanting to consume Alice to gain her unique ability to bond with the virus made sense, even if he was clearly unhinged by that point.

bruno

Chief Researcher
C'mon, everything in the movies was ruined since Apocalypse, not just wesker. They ruined Jill, Carlos, Nicholai, Nemesis, Claire, Chris and anyone else based on the games...

Lizzy

C'mon, everything in the movies was ruined since Apocalypse, not just wesker. They ruined Jill, Carlos, Nicholai, Nemesis, Claire, Chris and anyone else based on the games...

Jill wasn't as good in Apocalypse as she was in 1, 3 and Revelations, I'll give you that, but even her tiny cameo's worth off portrayal in Afterlife and it's likely continuation in Retribution make her more than a plot device with no personality as she was in 5, including DLC.

Carlos was an annoying pretty boy in the 3, and no where near as cool or ruggedly awesome as Oded Fer brilliant butt-kicking protayal.

Nicolai was a wholey different character in the films, and at least didn't get to suffer the indignity of having his rubbish death ending made canon ike his game counterpart.

The Nemesis, I agree, was no where near as good. No real arguement there. Although it does at least add in the tragic fate of Matt to give it more depth, so it's not entirely a wasted use of one of gamings greatest foes.

Claire is a vast, VAST improvement over her game counterpart, an actual strong willed intelligent woman instead of a child faced shrill idiot who's entire personality is built around desperately searching for either a male to give her life direction or a child to babysit. Or in the case of Steve, both.

Chris is frankly an idiot in the games, he's the epitomy of the dull gun toting, muscle bound soldier chliche, who has some of the worst lines, and one most shallow and emotionless personalities in the history of video gaming, which was bad enough at the time of Resi 1, but is unforgivable in the modern gaming era. Of course it's all worth it to live in a world without fear, partner. And that's when he's not punchign boulders to death. Compare this to the sulen, cynical, and sarcastic performance wentworth miller gives in Afterlife and I cannot fathom how anyone can prefer the Game version other than though blind prejudice or nostalgia.

Lizzy

Agreed. I always thought Jason Isaacs should have played Wesker, he still would've been sexy, but in a more "dangerous" way. He's been a blonde villain before too!

But then again, he'd probably never sign on for an Anderson made Resident Evil.

Except where he was in Paul Andersons Event Horizon.

Oh, and he had an uncredited role in the originol Resident Evil movie, as the Narrator/William Birkin, which frankly he is far, far more suited to playing than wesker.

bruno

Chief Researcher
I noticed you're not a big fan of the games characters...
I actually like Claire, and I think she's a really strong character in RE2. I mean, she didn't have any kind of training (maybe just some practice with her brother) but she managed to live through the outbreak and protect Sherry. As for Steve, even though he was always whining and annoying, she managed to keep calm and make sure he was safe.
I also think Chris is a bit emotional -- especially in Revelations, CVX and RE5, in which he's trying to save someone close to him. However, he's not to cheesy and doesn't like to show his emotions to others.

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
Jill wasn't as good in Apocalypse as she was in 1, 3 and Revelations, I'll give you that, but even her tiny cameo's worth off portrayal in Afterlife and it's likely continuation in Retribution make her more than a plot device with no personality as she was in 5, including DLC.
I honestly can't agree with this. Movie Jill was terrible compared to video game Jill and, while she was most definitely used cheaply in Resident Evil 5, I found her personality to be quite the same as it was in the previous video games; she was still amazingly Jill.

Carlos was an annoying pretty boy in the 3, and no where near as cool or ruggedly awesome as Oded Fer brilliant butt-kicking protayal.
I liked Carlos in the games but I couldn't agree more about the comparison between game-Carlos and Oded Fehr.
Claire is a vast, VAST improvement over her game counterpart, an actual strong willed intelligent woman instead of a child faced shrill idiot who's entire personality is built around desperately searching for either a male to give her life direction or a child to babysit. Or in the case of Steve, both.
Now, while I absolutely love Claire to the ends of the earth and what not, and hate Ali Larter and her ignorance of the material she's supposed to be basing her performance off of to the same extent, I sort of agree with this. Claire has been used pretty poorly from the beginning with her role as everyone's babysitter and what not. (I mean there's compassion and maternal instincts and all but really? Is this all she is to you people?) I don't really mind the characterization of Claire in the movies just the actress.

Chris is frankly an idiot in the games, he's the epitomy of the dull gun toting, muscle bound soldier chliche, who has some of the worst lines, and one most shallow and emotionless personalities in the history of video gaming, which was bad enough at the time of Resi 1, but is unforgivable in the modern gaming era. Of course it's all worth it to live in a world without fear, partner. And that's when he's not punchign boulders to death. Compare this to the sulen, cynical, and sarcastic performance wentworth miller gives in Afterlife and I cannot fathom how anyone can prefer the Game version other than though blind prejudice or nostalgia.
I love Chris and all but, once again, you bring up a good point. He's a major stereotype, much in the same way as Claire, and Miller did seem to bring something to the role that was special and unique.

I must say that you seem to really dislike the game characters and so I must ask, do you even like the games at all or just the movies? I mean you wouldn't be the only one should you prefer the movies to the games, just asking out of curiosity...

Lizzy

Bruno: Fair enough if you like Chris and Clair, I don't like them myself, for the reasons I stated. While you find Chris's lack of reaction to be characterisation in itself, I just see it as an unwillingness on Capcoms part to risk alienating their fans by attempting to give him any personality or character growth beyond his very shallow and badly acted portrayal in the origional game, where he was the main iconic character.

Magnolia Grandiflora: I don't hate the games by any stretch, infact I'd say it's my all time favourite game series, and I love most of the characters, setting and stories. I just hate when people pick apart the movies as being inferior to the games, when they each have their strengths and weaknesses.

However, while I believe the the Movies have gone from strength to strength, and done so while staying far more true to the oigional tone and mythos of the Resident evil franchise, I think the games have been dropping in quality in many ways ever since the Remake.

While undeniably improving in terms of gameplay, the characters have either stagnated, or deteriated, and the whole franchise has no clear direction or purpose.

Leon has gone from being an incredibley deep, earnest and above all else likeable underdog to being a generic smirking anime like action hero, pulling off sleezey one liners and barely reacting to the situations he's in. Chris is still the same shallow cipher he was in the 90's, Jill was relegated to Chris's sidekick after 3, Wesker turned into a cartoonish villian with no real goal or motivation, Ada, apparent death and deep emotinoal connection to Leon was glazed over and trated as completely unimportant, and Carlos, Barry, Rebecca, Billy and Sherry have simply been forgotten completely.

However, Revelations is a magnificent return to form, despite Capcoms bizzare insistence on not using zombies in it, and delivers all the tention, fear and damned indearing characters the games have been so sorely missing. Jill is back on top form, thankfully allowed to shine outside of Chris's shadow once again, and the new characters are mostly brilliant, particularly Parker. All while giving us the best controls and gameplay in any RE game, and even bringing back the dodge feature that's been so inexplicabley missing since 3.

I'm also really looking to RE 6, which looks to be fantastic and I hope Leon will return to his former brilliant self.

Storyofmylife

The watchful protector.
Except where he was in Paul Andersons Event Horizon.

Oh, and he had an uncredited role in the originol Resident Evil movie, as the Narrator/William Birkin, which frankly he is far, far more suited to playing than wesker.

I thought I remembered him being credited in that, or I was just delusional. I was thinking "He's gonna be Wesker!" and then got let down when I found out he wasn't. He wouldn't been PERFECT. I didn't know he was in an Anderson film... I'll have to check Event Horizon out.

Total Biscuit

I thought I remembered him being credited in that, or I was just delusional. I was thinking "He's gonna be Wesker!" and then got let down when I found out he wasn't. He wouldn't been PERFECT. I didn't know he was in an Anderson film... I'll have to check Event Horizon out.

Definitely watch Event Horizon. It's one of the best sci-fi horror films ever made, and has some brilliant set designs, effects and scares. Also, Sam Neil and Laurence Fishbourne. It's a classic, and you wouldn't believe it could have been made by the same guy that did AvP.

But I have to agree with Lizzy, Jason Isaacs would make a far better Birkin than Wesker. He's too lean and weasely looking for Wesker, but would be perfect as the brilliant, driven and ruthless Birkin.

I think the movie Wesker was perfectly cast frankly. Wesker should be young, handsome and powerful looking, someone who could believably pose as the heroic and charasmatic leader of a police special forces unit. I mean that was one of the things that made Wesker so great in the first game, he was far more like another games hero than the villain, and it did a great job of building Barry up as the traitor instead.

Seriously, all you need to do with Jason Isaacs is stick a lab coat on him and he's Birkin. To play Wesker he'd need to bleach his hair, use a far deeper voice than normal and bulk up massively.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Well...You all have some interesting points, and now it's time for me to add my two cents about how the game characters compare to their silver screen counterparts...

Jill-First off, I've always looked at Jill and Chris as equals, and in all honesty, I believe SHE was the figurehead for the first RE, especially considering she made the return to the games before he did...As for Sienna Guillroy's portrayal of her...I don't believe it was bad, but it wasn't at it's best...She was a very tolerable Jill, though I believe there were better picks out there...I am definitely not upset that she's coming back to play here either. Also, she's one of the few who actually researched here role, even playing RE3 to get it down...She gets credit for that if nothing else...

Carlos-I love Oded Fher, and I love how he played the character...I will grant you, it was COMPLETELY different than his video game counterpart, that I also love. A hunk who's optimistic no matter what situation. I feel he wanted to play a separate character than game Carlos, because the games are different than the movies, and he wanted to exploit that...I think both are good, and love them both, but want to keep them separate...Game stays in game, and same goes for movie...

Nicholai-I hated Nicholai in the games...Plain and simple...But, the fact that he is played completely different in the movie is forgivable because what's his face...The bad guy in Apocalypse kind of represented the game version of Nicholai, giving us a chance to see a character, much like the game version of Carlos in the movie version of Nicholai...

Claire-Claire is one of the four main characters of Resident Evil, the others being Jill, Chris, and Leon...Ali Larter FUKED her character up beyond recognition, and I HONESTLY didn't even realize who she was playing when I saw it in the theaters, but when I bought the DVD and could rewind it when the dude called her Claire. I think she should've researched her role better, and been more loving than angry and bitchy all the time...She can leave that to Jill (In a good way)...She can still be a badass, and hell, she can LOOK a bit more like Claire, but it's like she tried to do what Oded had done, and exploit her character as different...Only failing miserably...

Chris- Miller. Was. Awful...Miller is an awful actor in general, and since he is British, his American accent sounds like a bad Batman impression...Despite what you say about game Chris being cold and unfeeling I disagree...And I can do so without judgement, because Chris is my least favorite character besides Sheva...That doesn't mean he deserves to have his character butchered, because he, like Claire, is a main character to the gaming series. Chris cares a lot, as you can see when Jill "Dies." You also know how much he cares for his sister, cause he took the time to train her in the ways of the S.T.A.R.S. so she could protect herself. Chris isn't cold, but he is a soldier, and every good soldier knows that emotion on the battlefield clouds the mind and is a weakness. Miller, however, DID play Chris cold and unfeeling, and arrogant even. For those of you who don't know, Miller was also on the drama Prison Break, and his character was virtually no different...

Wesker-I honestly have no complaints...I think they got the perfect Wesker...

But, at the end of the day, the universe of the movies is set in a completely different universe than the games...Much like in comics how Spectacular Spider-Man is in a completely different universe than Amazing Spider-Man...So really, both can be compared and contrasted, but at the end of the day, the cannons are completely different and therefore cannot be "Wrong"

bruno

Chief Researcher
However, while I believe the the Movies have gone from strength to strength, and done so while staying far more true to the oigional tone and mythos of the Resident evil franchise, I think the games have been dropping in quality in many ways ever since the Remake.

While undeniably improving in terms of gameplay, the characters have either stagnated, or deteriated, and the whole franchise has no clear direction or purpose.

Leon has gone from being an incredibley deep, earnest and above all else likeable underdog to being a generic smirking anime like action hero, pulling off sleezey one liners and barely reacting to the situations he's in. Chris is still the same shallow cipher he was in the 90's, Jill was relegated to Chris's sidekick after 3, Wesker turned into a cartoonish villian with no real goal or motivation, Ada, apparent death and deep emotinoal connection to Leon was glazed over and trated as completely unimportant, and Carlos, Barry, Rebecca, Billy and Sherry have simply been forgotten completely.

However, Revelations is a magnificent return to form, despite Capcoms bizzare insistence on not using zombies in it, and delivers all the tention, fear and damned indearing characters the games have been so sorely missing. Jill is back on top form, thankfully allowed to shine outside of Chris's shadow once again, and the new characters are mostly brilliant, particularly Parker. All while giving us the best controls and gameplay in any RE game, and even bringing back the dodge feature that's been so inexplicabley missing since 3.

I'm also really looking to RE 6, which looks to be fantastic and I hope Leon will return to his former brilliant self.

I actually think the games series are evolving. In the first games, the characters were accidentally draged into infected areas, they felt what bioterrorism acts might cause and now they actively fight bioterrorism. Leon, however, was forced to work with the Government and saw that as a career opportunity, eventually becoming part of the President Security, and he is deployed in any mission in which BOW's may be involved.

I think the movies are getting really bad, with Extinction and Afterlife not making any sense at all. They use all the possible cliches, Alice has no personality at all (only in the first movie), the clones part was just stupid (they destroyed them, now there will be more clones of the dead characters), and to the movies, a virus is a device to make anything happen (while in the games, they only exagerated a bit with the Wesker virus/serum).

Back to the games, Leon is now an agent of the secret services, it's not that strange that he is a colder and emptier person (at least, during duty) and I don't think he might get a strong personality in future appearences. If you look back, you can see an evolution in his personality, starting in RE2, then Operation: Javier, RE4 and finally Degeneration.

Wesker does have a motivation, though it looks stupid. I do think he was a great character and they ruined him in RE5, exagerating his powers, and making him want to select human beings to keep living by using Uroboros. I did like Excella though, she was a good addition.

Revelation was a great game, it has great new Characters like Raymond and Jessica (I didn't really like Parker), and I think these two will be in RE6. However, I didn't likee the in-game dialogs, they were very un-original, but you'd expect that from an RE game.

Lizzy

Bruno
Firstly, you don't like Parker?!! He was awesome!
I guess everything will just come down to personal taste and no definate right and wrong answer so I imagine you and I will always disagree. I was wondering why though you think the films make no sense? Extinction and Aftelife work both very well as self contained stories as well as advancing the overarching plot.

Kennedy Killer:
To be honest, the first time I watched Extinction I wasn't overly impressed with Claire, but after seeing the deleated scenes I warmed to her very quickly. The conversation Claire has with Alice about her powers and how long she'll be staying came accross as a little rude without seeing the whole thing. I appreciated Ali Larters strong, no nonsense attitude and clear desire to do what's right by everyone.

Top Bottom