• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The Evil Within vs The Evil Within 2

Which game do you prefer?

• The Evil Within

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • The Evil Within 2

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 21244

The evil whitin 1
Because it's a better game in evey aspect, story, graphic, overall design, animation and gameplay

The second one was just mhe
It had Downgraded graphic, not interesting story, bad animation, lot of bugs
When playing the first one i had a lot of fun and always wanted more, but whit the second one I was just waiting for it to end as soon as possible, so much boring

You can clearly see that the first one was a triple A game made by shinji mikami while the second just feel like an attempt to continue the series but whit low budget

Last edited by a moderator:

Murrdogg93

The evil whitin 1
Because it's a better game in evey aspect, story, graphic, overall design, animation and gameplay

The second one was just mhe
It had Downgraded graphic, not interesting story, bad animation, lot of bugs
When playing the first one i had a lot of fun and always wanted more, but whit the second one I was just waiting for it to end as soon as possible, so much boring

You can clearly see that the first one was a triple A game made by shinji mikami while the second just feel like an attempt to continue the series but whit low budget
I was very late to playing both games. Played them for the first time in 2020.

Evil Within definitely felt like it was trying to scare more. The instant kill bosses were certainly tense but possibly more so frustrating. But even after all the patches, the game would have inconsistent frame rates, starting in Chapter 3, from what I remember, so it would feel very sluggish in my experience, making it difficult to fully enjoy. I played up to part of Chapter 9. Where Ruvik chases you, teleports, and you die in one touch. Never finished it.

Evil Within 2 definitely felt less tense, but in turn less frustrating. I didn't experience frame rate issues or anything performance wise. The open world aspect was interesting. The only thing is that Sebastian still felt stiff to maneuver.

So in my experience, I ended up having more enjoyment from Evil Within 2. I didn't play as far into the game though.

Last edited:

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
The Evil Within was an amazing horror game, a true masterpiece in terms of innovative world-building, horrifying monsters and psychotic gameplay that made you question what was real or not. The complicated story was the only thing that made people turn their heads a little bit, but after replaying the game and actually listening to the dialogue and all the memos, this really shouldn't be an issue.

The sequel is more like fan fiction, it opted for a much more straight-forward, uncomplicated story that was written by a western dude and not the original Japanese writer from the first game. Everything feels downgraded and less scary, and the level design disappoints on so many levels (pun intended). It's bland, unoriginal and doesn't even try to mess with your head. Everything makes sense and nothing surprises you (which is the complete opposite of the first game). On top of that, the gameplay is completely broken and stealth simply doesn't work - you're better off running past enemies than actually fighting them, something which was a guaranteed death sentence in the first game. Upgrading your skills doesn't make a significant difference either. All in all, the game is terrible and offers very little in terms of satisfaction. The only good part of the game is the level where you literally fight the bosses from the first game (The Keeper and Laura), and those bosses shouldn't even be there in the first place since they're the creation of Ruvik's consciousness, and Ruvik's NOT EVEN IN THE GAME. Seriously. The first game ended with a teaser of Ruvik gaining some sort of possession over Leslie's body, meaning that he is still very much alive, and the sequel completely disregard his character. What a joke.

Jen

Girly Gamer
Premium Elite
Premium
I have to be honest.... I actually enjoyed both games, though for very different reasons. The Evil Within was far more horrific than the second, the story messed with your brain a little and it was genuinely quite terrifying at times. However, I did enjoy the open world sections of The Evil Within 2 and I enjoyed the section where Stefano was the villain. I did find the game really tense in parts too. I do admit that a more direct sequel would have been welcome, one that included Ruvik, but I can't honestly say that I didn't enjoy the second game for what it was.

I will say that I did experience a couple of pretty major glitches in The Evil Within 2. The below one happened to me whilst attempting a Classic Mode run. I never went back to it after that, I'd got that far without saving.

The Evil Within was an amazing horror game, a true masterpiece in terms of innovative world-building, horrifying monsters and psychotic gameplay that made you question what was real or not. The complicated story was the only thing that made people turn their heads a little bit, but after replaying the game and actually listening to the dialogue and all the memos, this really shouldn't be an issue.

The sequel is more like fan fiction, it opted for a much more straight-forward, uncomplicated story that was written by a western dude and not the original Japanese writer from the first game. Everything feels downgraded and less scary, and the level design disappoints on so many levels (pun intended). It's bland, unoriginal and doesn't even try to mess with your head. Everything makes sense and nothing surprises you (which is the complete opposite of the first game). On top of that, the gameplay is completely broken and stealth simply doesn't work - you're better off running past enemies than actually fighting them, something which was a guaranteed death sentence in the first game. Upgrading your skills doesn't make a significant difference either. All in all, the game is terrible and offers very little in terms of satisfaction. The only good part of the game is the level where you literally fight the bosses from the first game (The Keeper and Laura), and those bosses shouldn't even be there in the first place since they're the creation of Ruvik's consciousness, and Ruvik's NOT EVEN IN THE GAME. Seriously. The first game ended with a teaser of Ruvik gaining some sort of possession over Leslie's body, meaning that he is still very much alive, and the sequel completely disregard his character. What a joke.

I found the chapter that brought back the previous bosses quite cool, actually. I don't fully remember the ins and outs of the second one so don't know if this is possible in the story, but could this be a manifestation of Sebastian's memory, as he lived through that? I genuinely can't remember as it's been a while, so sorry if that's a dumb question.

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
I found the chapter that brought back the previous bosses quite cool, actually. I don't fully remember the ins and outs of the second one so don't know if this is possible in the story, but could this be a manifestation of Sebastian's memory, as he lived through that? I genuinely can't remember as it's been a while, so sorry if that's a dumb question.
Not a dumb question, because you could argue that that's the case. But I still don't think they should've been there since Ruvik isn't there, and they're specifically linked to Ruvik. Sebastian isn't scared of them, so a manifestation of Sebastian's fear would more likely be something releated to his wife and daughter.

There were too many villains in TEW2. First you've got Stefano, then Father Theodore, then O'Neil, and lastly Myra... and that's not even counting the Administrator at Mobius. It's just a disjointed mess.

Reactions: Jen

Jen

Girly Gamer
Premium Elite
Premium
Not a dumb question, because you could argue that that's the case. But I still don't think they should've been there since Ruvik isn't there, and they're specifically linked to Ruvik. Sebastian isn't scared of them, so a manifestation of Sebastian's fear would more likely be something releated to his wife and daughter.

There were too many villains in TEW2. First you've got Stefano, then Father Theodore, then O'Neil, and lastly Myra... and that's not even counting the Administrator at Mobius. It's just a disjointed mess.
You've got a point about the villains. Stefano was so hyped up and then he's done in... what, six chapters? And then it's onto the next one, and the next. While it didn't bother me so much, it definitely is a lot in one game.

Murrdogg93

Since I never finished either game myself, I'm tempted to play through them. Perhaps subconsciously I enjoyed the first game more, since I played until Chapter 9, which is more than half way through the game. Where with second game, I only played until Chapter 3, & basically explored to gather resources & killed for green gel.

Top Bottom