• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The Evil Within 2

Ethan Winters

Ito Junji Addict, Lupin Enthusiast
It's arriving today sometime. Looks great. Not as good as the first from what i've seen, but still insanely hyped. Who knows. It might be better.

Jen

Girly Gamer
Premium Elite
Premium
Pre-ordered mine too, also arriving today. Trying to decide whether or not to finish a playthrough of the first one before I start it.

Ethan Winters

Jen -

Yes. Absolutely finish the first one. It is very important to the story. Also, consider trying the Juli Kidman DLCs. They are also important.

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
That’s strange... why would The Evil Within 2 follow up on the story and characters from the first game? :evil:

Jen

Girly Gamer
Premium Elite
Premium
Jen -

Yes. Absolutely finish the first one. It is very important to the story. Also, consider trying the Juli Kidman DLCs. They are also important.
I've played the first one. I've just not refreshed it all in my mind.

I'm loving the game so far. :) I'm enjoying it a hell of a lot more than I actually thought I would, having got a bit bored in the first few chapters of the first one.

I'm especially loving exploring Union town area. There's so many little things to do! I'm getting vibes from The Last of Us and Resident Evil too. And it's great to see that a lot of the game play elements from The Evil Within are in this game too and further expanded upon.

Ethan Winters

Just got to chapter 2. Exploring Union as well.

I like it but not nearly as much as 1. I like how they took ideas from the DLCs like better stealth and stuff. I miss Seb's old outfit though.

Cure Zombrex

I played the first hour. Definitely a huge rip-off of Silent Hill (like the opening scene with the burning house and other parts). I'm not saying it's a bad game, because it's not, but it isn't really anything we've never seen before. I misinterpreted this as a Capcom game, though. I forgot Shinji Mikami isn't involved with Capcom any longer.

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
I played the first hour. Definitely a huge rip-off of Silent Hill (like the opening scene with the burning house and other parts). I'm not saying it's a bad game, because it's not, but it isn't really anything we've never seen before. I misinterpreted this as a Capcom game, though. I forgot Shinji Mikami isn't involved with Capcom any longer.

I forgot it wasn't a Capcom game too... oops. To be fare though, Konami and the Silent Hill series took a lot of inspiration from the first RE game. We can all stand to learn from each other.

I've yet to beat the first Evil Within as I lost interest in the gameplay aspect. I might give it another chance because it was pretty scary- at least when that big dude in the beginning was chasing after you. I have to admit that The Evil Within 2's trailer isn't all that impressive to me though.

Cure Zombrex

You know how he has to touch mirrors to go to the other world? That appears to be copied from Origins. The opening was kind of the same as what occurred with Travis too entering a burning house to attempt to save a child, and certain creatures resemble those from the SH series. I'm not saying this is bad. Although coming up with original ideas for the genre must be quite a challenge, as horror in all mediums (books, games, and films) has more or less exhausted everything into the ground. Even 'found footage' films are getting stale now, too, due to how many of them there are being filmed on a low budget.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Just beat the game last night. I have mixed feelings about it but overall I thought it was pretty damn good. One of the best parts of the game turned out to be the shooting gallery games. Kind of addictive.

I'm going to start my second playthrough soon and I hope it holds because there were a lot parts that might get annoying on the second go.

ToCool74

Veteran Member
You know how he has to touch mirrors to go to the other world? That appears to be copied from Origins. The opening was kind of the same as what occurred with Travis too entering a burning house to attempt to save a child, and certain creatures resemble those from the SH series. .

Thought the EXACT same thinig when I played it, Its pretty obvious that they take heavy inspiration from not only the Resident Evil series but also the Silent Hill series, they aren't exactly subtle with it either lol, but I must say I'm currently 3 hours into it and LOVING it.

Jen

Girly Gamer
Premium Elite
Premium
Just finished the game and I have to say, I'm surprised that I enjoyed it as much as I did. I'm gonna put the rest of this in a spoiler tag as I want to comment in more depth about the story and other aspects of the game, so fair warning.

The story went a little flat in the middle for me but it definitely picked up and had a good ending. I wish that Stefano had played more of a part in the game because his art was cool, and I really enjoyed the scenes changing around you and not knowing what was going to happen next. He was more quirky than Wallace who was the typical villain who just wanted power, so I just wish Stefano was there just a little longer. I loved the slightly sad ending with Myra, but I'm hoping for a sequel even though I don't really know what they could do next. I also liked the other Mobius members in there, with the exception of O'Neal, and I was sad when they died (I'm assuming Sykes didn't survive). Tatiana was more talkative in this one as well, and I'm expecting that we might get a DLC featuring Joseph.

This game also gave me the kind of fear that I've been missing from many horror games lately - I was nervous about what was going to happen next, rather than through cheap jump scares. Sure, this might just have been me building it up in my head but even so, it made the experience far more enjoyable.

I liked the enemy variation and I found the cold ghost lady to be very creepy. I just wish that she had an actual purpose to the story in this game, because when she wasn't explained it led me to assume she sort of was just a manifestation of Sebastian's depression, though I don't know if that's right or not. Chapter 14 was especially cool when boss enemies from the last game appeared.

I'm embarrassed over my completion time but I explored the areas very thoroughly and found two thirds of the keys, only missed one file and got all of the mysterious items and projector slides, so I feel like I didn't do too badly. I definitely got my money's worth from this game.

I loved the open world sections for exploration and there were some awesome mini events in the buildings that really fleshed it out (and I'm still curious about the woman I saved in chapter 3 and if she somehow survived). I really liked how they expanded the upgrades and crafting systems too, and the shooting gallery definitely is addictive and fun.

Overall I'd give the game 8.5 out of 10. I'm now going to keep playing for the platinum.

Top Bottom