• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 7 Should I Get This Game?

SaddlerFan

I just got myself a fancy PS5 and I discovered that, as a PS5 owner, you can get Resident Evil 7 for free as part of a Playstation Classics pack or something. Now, I'm not someone who looks a gift horse in the mouth too much usually, but this time I have to. Space on both my external hard drive that I plan to use for PS4 games on my PS5 (no need to clutter up the PS5) and on the PS5 itself is limited, so I need to know if this game is worth the time and, more importantly, the space.

Is it good? I haven't really heard any absolutely horrible things about it, but I thought I'd ask the experts before I proceed. I know I could check out Youtube playthroughs but that will just show me the game itself, not opinions about it. I'm more of a casual Resident Evil gamer, I've played RE2's remake and enjoyed it, but I never had a PlayStation when I was younger (the PS4 was my first, actually) so missed a lot of RE gaming fun. I do enjoy all the movies tho. And, of course, my beloved RE4. I've already been told that RE7 plays differently than RE4 because it's first person (I don't mind that), and that it's slower than RE4 with a lot less action (fine with me, too, RE4 is a bit of an odd exception from the rule for me anyway because I'm normally not much of a fan of action games).

I like silent horror games but not games that give me too much anxiety (yes, I suffer from anxiety). For example, I had to give up playing Alien: Isolation after the first 30 minutes or so because my anxiety couldn't handle it, and I also had massive problems with that dude who stalks you in RE2 remake. I guess I have problems with opponents you can't shoot, lol. I don't mind things getting intense if I can defend myself, but stuff where you have to hide or run creeps me out, at least if there's too much of it in the game.

Other than that... I'm pretty open towards horror games in general, horror is my favorite genre. I guess what am asking is "hello, fellow horror fans, is this game worth getting?".

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
Full disclosure: I have not played this game and have no plans to because of the disagreements my head has with first person camera angles.

That said, it seemed to be a decent game when I watched someone else play it. In fact my only gripe with it was that it really didn't have anything to do with Resident Evil or any of the characters and, in my opinion, should've been a spin off series or another IP altogether. (It would've been very easy, in my opinion, to make this same game with actual Resident Evil characters and substantially tie it to the series. ) The story was pretty decent and I don't think anything terrible can really be said about the gameplay, provided you don't have the same first person camera angle issues that I do. If they ever came out with a third person mode, like what Village is reportedly getting, I would more than likely pick it up.

I will say, however, that it might not be good for your anxiety. If I were you I would find some gameplay videos. Nothing that will spoil the story, but enough so that you could check out some of the more intense parts just to make sure it wouldn't bother you too much.

Turo602

The King of Kings
If you managed through Resident Evil 2 despite issues with Mr. X and general stalker like gameplay like in Alien: Isolation, I think you'll do fine with Resident Evil 7.

There is a stalker enemy in the beginning of the game that you do mostly avoid like Mr. X, but his presence is short-lived and because of the much smaller map, isn't as intense to run from as Mr. X.

I personally didn't really like the direction this game took the series as a fan, but it is a very well made game and a pretty good survival horror game. As a more casual fan, you might really enjoy this game as do most, so I'd definitely recommend it.

Rain611

You can't kill me.
I just got myself a fancy PS5 and I discovered that, as a PS5 owner, you can get Resident Evil 7 for free as part of a Playstation Classics pack or something. Now, I'm not someone who looks a gift horse in the mouth too much usually, but this time I have to. Space on both my external hard drive that I plan to use for PS4 games on my PS5 (no need to clutter up the PS5) and on the PS5 itself is limited, so I need to know if this game is worth the time and, more importantly, the space.

Is it good? I haven't really heard any absolutely horrible things about it, but I thought I'd ask the experts before I proceed. I know I could check out Youtube playthroughs but that will just show me the game itself, not opinions about it. I'm more of a casual Resident Evil gamer, I've played RE2's remake and enjoyed it, but I never had a PlayStation when I was younger (the PS4 was my first, actually) so missed a lot of RE gaming fun. I do enjoy all the movies tho. And, of course, my beloved RE4. I've already been told that RE7 plays differently than RE4 because it's first person (I don't mind that), and that it's slower than RE4 with a lot less action (fine with me, too, RE4 is a bit of an odd exception from the rule for me anyway because I'm normally not much of a fan of action games).

I like silent horror games but not games that give me too much anxiety (yes, I suffer from anxiety). For example, I had to give up playing Alien: Isolation after the first 30 minutes or so because my anxiety couldn't handle it, and I also had massive problems with that dude who stalks you in RE2 remake. I guess I have problems with opponents you can't shoot, lol. I don't mind things getting intense if I can defend myself, but stuff where you have to hide or run creeps me out, at least if there's too much of it in the game.

Other than that... I'm pretty open towards horror games in general, horror is my favorite genre. I guess what am asking is "hello, fellow horror fans, is this game worth getting?".
Are you a fan of Evil Dead? There are a TON of Evil Dead references that I got a kick out of.

I liked Resident Evil 7. I prefer 1st person shooters because I like to be able to look down my sights as I shoot guns and bows recreationally and anymore it just feels weird to play 3rd person as opposed to 1st person, to me.

There is a distinct lack of enemy variety, but the game is more horror than RE4 was. I don't think the game will be too bad on your anxiety. I kinda get it, with Outlast for example, even though I know exactly what happens in the game I can't bring myself to finish it because my anxiety spikes and I don't actually want to progress. It's the only game that's ever done that to me (well, Outlast 2 did the same), so I get it. RE7 didn't do this to me. Neither did Mr X though. I think you'll be fine.

Considering the game is free, I say give it a shot. You can always uninstall it later and my PS5 holds more games than you would think so I wouldn't worry about space too much.

Ikawaru

If the whole game was more like 'Not A Hero' DLC than I would recommend it to the moon and back.

But it's not so considering that you can get it free and has some good survival horror elements but still a far cry from what I want in a Resident Evil game, I'd say go for it, it's probably worth at least 1 playthrough (terrible pacing makes multiple playthroughs a real pain in the neck).

SaddlerFan

Full disclosure: I have not played this game and have no plans to because of the disagreements my head has with first person camera angles.

That said, it seemed to be a decent game when I watched someone else play it. In fact my only gripe with it was that it really didn't have anything to do with Resident Evil or any of the characters and, in my opinion, should've been a spin off series or another IP altogether. (It would've been very easy, in my opinion, to make this same game with actual Resident Evil characters and substantially tie it to the series. ) The story was pretty decent and I don't think anything terrible can really be said about the gameplay, provided you don't have the same first person camera angle issues that I do. If they ever came out with a third person mode, like what Village is reportedly getting, I would more than likely pick it up.

I will say, however, that it might not be good for your anxiety. If I were you I would find some gameplay videos. Nothing that will spoil the story, but enough so that you could check out some of the more intense parts just to make sure it wouldn't bother you too much.

I can totally understand the issue with first person camera angles. I can play first person games but not VR. That one makes me dizzy and I have to stop immediately. I can't handle it. (Which really saddens me because I'd love to at least try RE4 VR at some point but, alas.) But first person is fine with me - my all time favorite "contemporary" game is Dying Light, a first person game that also has a LOT of running and movements and climbing and whatnot. My mother used to watch me gaming when she visited me but she always had to leave the room when I was playing Dying Light, and not because she hated the violence (she did), but because it made her incredibly dizzy. As for my anxiety, I took your advice and watched some gameplay videos yesterday and I didn't have to stop watching like I had with Alien: Isolation (I should have known not to buy it right there), so I guess playing will be okay for me anxiety-wise!

If you managed through Resident Evil 2 despite issues with Mr. X and general stalker like gameplay like in Alien: Isolation, I think you'll do fine with Resident Evil 7.

There is a stalker enemy in the beginning of the game that you do mostly avoid like Mr. X, but his presence is short-lived and because of the much smaller map, isn't as intense to run from as Mr. X.

I personally didn't really like the direction this game took the series as a fan, but it is a very well made game and a pretty good survival horror game. As a more casual fan, you might really enjoy this game as do most, so I'd definitely recommend it.
I managed through RE2 Remake, yup, but I had to stop several times because ANXIETY GALORE. But Alien: Isolation was too much for me. (It doesn't help that Xenomorphs REALLY creep me out.)

Yes I guess I could say I'm a more casual fan of the RE franchise in general, but a HUGE fan of RE4. Heh. But I'm always willing to expand my gaming horizons! I've also been thinking about getting RE Village because a lot of people have told me it's very similar to RE4 because there's a village etc (obviously, lol). I don't mind if lore doesn't add up 100% or of a game is different from the rest of the games in the franchise etc. It's all okay to me!

Are you a fan of Evil Dead? There are a TON of Evil Dead references that I got a kick out of.

I liked Resident Evil 7. I prefer 1st person shooters because I like to be able to look down my sights as I shoot guns and bows recreationally and anymore it just feels weird to play 3rd person as opposed to 1st person, to me.

There is a distinct lack of enemy variety, but the game is more horror than RE4 was. I don't think the game will be too bad on your anxiety. I kinda get it, with Outlast for example, even though I know exactly what happens in the game I can't bring myself to finish it because my anxiety spikes and I don't actually want to progress. It's the only game that's ever done that to me (well, Outlast 2 did the same), so I get it. RE7 didn't do this to me. Neither did Mr X though. I think you'll be fine.

Considering the game is free, I say give it a shot. You can always uninstall it later and my PS5 holds more games than you would think so I wouldn't worry about space too much.

I've never watched OR played Evil Dead, no! (An oversight on my part, I know!) Any reference will be lost on me, I'm afraid! lol

Yes I figure I'll give it a shot later today. You're absolutely right, I can always uninstall if it's too much or not to my liking. From what I've seen gameplay-wise so far I should be okay with it anxiety-wise, too. It doesn't seem to terrify me like Alien: Isolation did. I literally couldn't play that one. I just sat there almost crying with my controller in my hand like "I can't even move my character anymore, this is horrible WHAT IF THE ALIEN IS HERE". I also couldn't play games like Slenderman. I watched one minute of gameplay of that and NOPED OUT OF IT faster than a cat nopes out of water.

I do always appreciate more horror elements in a game tho. (I know, it's an irony that I have anxiety and yet horror is my favorite genre. I'm fine movie-wise with horror stuff but with games I always have to be a bit careful with what I play.)

If the whole game was more like 'Not A Hero' DLC than I would recommend it to the moon and back.

But it's not so considering that you can get it free and has some good survival horror elements but still a far cry from what I want in a Resident Evil game, I'd say go for it, it's probably worth at least 1 playthrough (terrible pacing makes multiple playthroughs a real pain in the neck).
I honestly don't even really have any preferences for a Resident Evil game. (Okay, maybe tentacles. Those are always nice. Might be biased tho because Saddler. lol) I'm fine if it's just horror, I'm also fine if it features T-virus and plagas or whatever else there is. I read a comment under one of the RE7 gameplay videos I watched yesterday and it said "finally a Resident Evil game where the residents are evil". Gave me a chuckle because... yeah! Excellent observation! lol

Okay y'all thanks for your thoughts and recommendations! I think I'll give the game a shot over the weekend or even a little bit later today already! Will voice my thoughts here if I do!

Ikawaru

I read a comment under one of the RE7 gameplay videos I watched yesterday and it said "finally a Resident Evil game where the residents are evil".

Yeah I noticed that instantly when I first played it "Resident Evil like literally lololol!1"

Deep down I still consider the series as "Biohazard", and just call it RE for posterity.

SaddlerFan

Yeah I noticed that instantly when I first played it "Resident Evil like literally lololol!1"

Deep down I still consider the series as "Biohazard", and just call it RE for posterity.
Yeah I like Biohazard better as a name, too. It fits better, IMO. But I can dig Resident Evil as well. I'm cool with everything.

Okay, I downloaded the game yesterday and I played some of it and so far I'm not really feeling it. The good news is that it's not causing me any anxiety, but the bad news is that it's actually doing the opposite - it... bores me? *facepalm* This was NOT what I expected. lol

But I'll play some more and then I'll voice more thoughts. Can't really say much after like half an hour of it. But so far it's doing surprisingly little for me. I certainly don't really care about Mia and/or Ethan, and I'm having a feeling that this is a problem, given how important they seem to the plot. lol

Turo602

The King of Kings
I certainly don't really care about Mia and/or Ethan, and I'm having a feeling that this is a problem, given how important they seem to the plot. lol
Yeah, that's not really gonna change. I didn't like them in Village either, but apparently having some cheesy dialogue made Ethan more likeable to people in that game. For me at least, these 2 games are worth playing more for the experience than for the story or any actual ties to the series.

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
It would've been very easy, in my opinion, to make this same game with actual Resident Evil characters and substantially tie it to the series.
I also find this thought rather fascinating. I'm usually a sucker for "what could have been" even though it often boils down to pointless fan fiction, but it wouldn't be that hard to re-work the game into a third-person experience closer to the RE2 remake. Just swap Ethan for some new rookie working together with Chris for Blue Umbrella, and have him sent to investigate the sunken shipwreck in order to find out more about "the Connections". And once there, he starts to see hallucinations of Eveline which pulls him to the Bakers estate, and in some way or another he gets knocked out, loses his weapons and his communication with Chris. And so on.

Turo602

The King of Kings
RE7 being first-person is something that wouldn't have bothered me as much if it was a one off and justified the mechanic by the end of the game. I always thought that RE7 felt like a glorified tech demo. A random horror concept used to test out various Resident Evil elements that was just turned into a game with loose connections to the series to justify the name. Without it, we wouldn't have gotten RE2, which only further highlighted everything that was wrong with RE7 trying to pass itself off as a Resident Evil game.

Resident Evil 7 is as much a Resident Evil game as The Evil Within is a sequel to Resident Evil 4. If Resident Evil 7 came out as a spiritual successor to classic Resident Evil, that would have been fine. A new take on a dormant concept that pays its respects to the game(s) it's trying to remind everyone of while creating a completely unique identity for itself that sets it apart from its inspiration.

However, if Capcom wanted to use Resident Evil 7 as a vehicle to test the waters for old school survival horror concepts, they could have easily gone with a one off approach, which I assumed was the case when they said in an interview that if 7 was successful, they'd integrate series specific motifs and characters into this new style, which apparently meant do the same thing but copy RE4 instead... Which now makes Village look like nothing more than a beta for the Resident Evil 4 remake...

Resident Evil 7 was completely designed around hiding the protagonist's identity, which would have been a lot more interesting if his identity played a role into the larger picture as opposed to just being a nothing character for us to insert ourselves into, making him nothing more than the human equivalent of a VR headset...

With that being said, I've always had this idea in my head of Ethan being a sort of villain-like character. Either as a Wesker-clone or B.O.W. experiment with either false memories implanted or amnesia after the ship crash. The dude can f*cking reattach his limbs so it wouldn't have been a stretch.

But the whole game could have made you feel like a helpless victim with various hints of being not so helpless until you think you're being rescued at the end only to be killed by Chris in an actual twist ending and have the cutscene become more cinematic, reveal the protagonist's face, and have Chris confirm who the target is while his mission is detailed, setting the stage for a much larger narrative that shifts back into traditional Resident Evil.

SaddlerFan

I also find this thought rather fascinating. I'm usually a sucker for "what could have been" even though it often boils down to pointless fan fiction, but it wouldn't be that hard to re-work the game into a third-person experience closer to the RE2 remake. Just swap Ethan for some new rookie working together with Chris for Blue Umbrella, and have him sent to investigate the sunken shipwreck in order to find out more about "the Connections". And once there, he starts to see hallucinations of Eveline which pulls him to the Bakers estate, and in some way or another he gets knocked out, loses his weapons and his communication with Chris. And so on.
I'm a (RE and other stuff) fan fic writer myself so I totally get the fascination with "what could have been" approach! I actually like your idea. I do indeed think I would care much more about the game's protagonist if he felt more "tied" to the Resident Evil universe. Or if it was someone from the universe. I mean yes, I know, my favorite RE character (and general favorite video game character) is a one-off villain in a Resident Evil game, but he still feels connected to the franchise because Leon is there, and Ada and Wesker. I really do think I'd appreciate RE7 more if it felt JUST a little more connected to the franchise. I do applaud the new approach (first person, slower gameplay), but IMO it needed a familiar face SOMEwhere, especially at the beginning. It feels like a generic horror game even to me as a somewhat casual Resident Evil franchise fan.

RE7 being first-person is something that wouldn't have bothered me as much if it was a one off and justified the mechanic by the end of the game. I always thought that RE7 felt like a glorified tech demo. A random horror concept used to test out various Resident Evil elements that was just turned into a game with loose connections to the series to justify the name. Without it, we wouldn't have gotten RE2, which only further highlighted everything that was wrong with RE7 trying to pass itself off as a Resident Evil game.

Resident Evil 7 is as much a Resident Evil game as The Evil Within is a sequel to Resident Evil 4. If Resident Evil 7 came out as a spiritual successor to classic Resident Evil, that would have been fine. A new take on a dormant concept that pays its respects to the game(s) it's trying to remind everyone of while creating a completely unique identity for itself that sets it apart from its inspiration.

However, if Capcom wanted to use Resident Evil 7 as a vehicle to test the waters for old school survival horror concepts, they could have easily gone with a one off approach, which I assumed was the case when they said in an interview that if 7 was successful, they'd integrate series specific motifs and characters into this new style, which apparently meant do the same thing but copy RE4 instead... Which now makes Village look like nothing more than a beta for the Resident Evil 4 remake...

Resident Evil 7 was completely designed around hiding the protagonist's identity, which would have been a lot more interesting if his identity played a role into the larger picture as opposed to just being a nothing character for us to insert ourselves into, making him nothing more than the human equivalent of a VR headset...

With that being said, I've always had this idea in my head of Ethan being a sort of villain-like character. Either as a Wesker-clone or B.O.W. experiment with either false memories implanted or amnesia after the ship crash. The dude can f*cking reattach his limbs so it wouldn't have been a stretch.

But the whole game could have made you feel like a helpless victim with various hints of being not so helpless until you think you're being rescued at the end only to be killed by Chris in an actual twist ending and have the cutscene become more cinematic, reveal the protagonist's face, and have Chris confirm who the target is while his mission is detailed, setting the stage for a much larger narrative that shifts back into traditional Resident Evil.
Lmao, I HAAAAAATED The Evil Within when I played it. It actually gave me the same "this is boring, am I supposed to be scared by this or invested in this main character in ANY way because neither is happening, yawn" feeling that RE7 is giving me! NOW I know what it reminds me of - thank you! Same feeling I had about The Evil Within. I stopped playing that after like two hours of it because I just DIDN'T CARE.

And yes I agree RE7 did feel like some kind of demo to me, at least at first. I cared more about the guys with the van and the video camera than I did about Ethan, lol. I wanted to follow THEIR storyline. They seemed far more interesting to me? Maybe I'm too cynical to care about a dude who walks into an OBVIOUSLY creepy and haunted house despite finding dead horses and birds outside just because he's looking for his wife who's been dead for three years but apparently sent him an e-mail. I mean it's his own fault, she explictly told him not to come (okay, fine, let's stay away) and yet he did just because he got an e-mail that was SUPPOSEDLY from her? Bruh. I'd have been like "nope, not gonna fall for that old troll trick after three years" and would've deleted the e-mail... case closed. (lol... yup, I AM too cynical)

So yeah... as y'all have probably noticed, this game and I won't become friends any time soon. I've stopped playing it and will give it one last try next weekend but if my feelings towards it don't improve MUCH after like ten minutes or so I'm gonna drop it. I'm not the type of gamer who forces himself to play a game he doesn't like.

Top Bottom