• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil: Village Rosemary Winters

Ikawaru

They'll probably turn her into a supranatural mystical being with superpowers given to her by Apollo because that's clearly where the series is going, into the Fantasy realm.

(OK, I thought Uriaș was pretty based and hardcore on my 1st playthrough but upon reflection, are these types of beings good for the series?)

Frag Maniac

I really look forward to seeing what Rosemary Winters will be capable of in re9
Me too, I almost feel bad for saying earlier in the game "Little ugly baby turned into big ugly baby!", when I was evading and laughing at the gigantic baby slug in House Beneviento. She turned out kinda cute actually as she grew up.

RipvanX

I am not the biggest fan of this direction either, but RE8 wasn’t the first game to jump the shark. CVX introduced Alexia and Wesker, which both had superpowers. Simmons could shapeshift into absurd forms, Morpheus became a female tyrant with heels, and Miranda was basically a Dark Souls boss. So Rosemary’s powers will have to be really absurd to top what has come before. With that said though, I would be annoyed if we have to play as her.

I also don’t get why people keep insisting that this is a trilogy, it doesn’t have to be. Capcom can do whatever they want at this point, because they have the magic mold which has no rules to follow unlike viruses and parasites.

It will be sad if RE10-12 end up being like X-Men or Marvel games because of this new direction.

Last edited:

Ikawaru

Yeah I was never a fan of Capcom incorporating Parasite Eve* and Silent Hill elements into Resident Evil, but competition yadda yadda etc I get it, but the thing is both series' are pretty much dead, Capcom won the survival horror war basically, yet they keep plowing the alterations forward anyway.

*Disclaimer of course that Parasite Eve 1 and 2 are both very dear to me and among my favorites, but it's always been, from the start, a survival horror and fantasy JRPG hybrid and on those terms as a standalone series is why I like it and always felt kinda stupid in Resident Evil.

Mr.R

Sherry had powers in RE6, being able to regenerate and that affect nothing in the gameplay. She didn't even had some slow regeneration of health, which would be fair, to contrast with all of Jake's hand to hand.

It's not exactly the main game, but Wesker had incredible powers in RE4 and 5 and his appearances on Mercenaries that only translated in one-hit kill melees (which in 5 doesn't matter much, if we count Mercenaries Reunion) and a weird dash. Same with Krauser.

We don't know which powers Rosemary has and we can't even have the slighest idea of how it (or if) will affect gameplay at all. I think it's too early to be worried about that.

RipvanX

Sherry had powers in RE6, being able to regenerate and that affect nothing in the gameplay. She didn't even had some slow regeneration of health, which would be fair, to contrast with all of Jake's hand to hand.

It's not exactly the main game, but Wesker had incredible powers in RE4 and 5 and his appearances on Mercenaries that only translated in one-hit kill melees (which in 5 doesn't matter much, if we count Mercenaries Reunion) and a weird dash. Same with Krauser.

We don't know which powers Rosemary has and we can't even have the slighest idea of how it (or if) will affect gameplay at all. I think it's too early to be worried about that.
The fact the mold can manifest any kind of superpower makes me VERY concerned for this franchises future. There are no rules anymore and they can just say “oh the mold can create this” or “ oh, the mold can create that.” It has reached the same nonsensical levels of the C-Virus.

Rosemary needs to be cancelled much like Jakes epilogue in RE6. No one in their right mind wants a superhero mainline RE game. Introducing blocking and sumo wrestling moves was a huge mis-step for this series when it comes to gameplay and giving the player an immersive horror experience.

I adore Evil Within 1 for this reason alone. It was a grounded survival experience that forced the player to make quick decisions to survive. RE needs to stay focused and not rip-off other genres.

Last edited:

Murderer Enshrined

When I first saw Rosemary Winters grownup, the first thing I thought was, "They're basically trying to create a blonde Ellie.". Personally, I feel Capcom keeps looking at other games and thinking they have to emulate that if they're going to draw in new fans. That's the thing that most bugged me about Capcom. I remember when I first started playing Resident Evil, back in the days of the Sony Playstation 32 bit grey console, there were people who thought RE sucked, but those people always came off to me as first-person shooter fans- if you don't like it, don't play it. I have nothing against first-person shooters, I happen to like a lot of first-person shooters. But why is it that certain people tend to take tremendous interest and concern in things that don't interest or concern them? But then, in later games, I saw Capcom leaning towards the first-person shooter style of play, like Survivor, and RE4. And I felt that Capcom, rather than staying devoted to their most devoted and loyal fans, yearned for the attention and money of that first-person shooter crowd. I guess, as a big fan of Resident Evil, I felt a bit let down. Capcom has always been capable of coming up with something good that always tends to keep me entertained for a good, long while. I just hope they come up with something good again. But it would be good if they get back to basics someday, like the things that initially drew me into Resident Evil in the first place. One can only hope. Petitions have no impact. Capcom doesn't look at things like that.

Ikawaru

When I first saw Rosemary Winters grownup, the first thing I thought was, "They're basically trying to create a blonde Ellie.". Personally, I feel Capcom keeps looking at other games and thinking they have to emulate that if they're going to draw in new fans. That's the thing that most bugged me about Capcom. I remember when I first started playing Resident Evil, back in the days of the Sony Playstation 32 bit grey console, there were people who thought RE sucked, but those people always came off to me as first-person shooter fans- if you don't like it, don't play it. I have nothing against first-person shooters, I happen to like a lot of first-person shooters. But why is it that certain people tend to take tremendous interest and concern in things that don't interest or concern them? But then, in later games, I saw Capcom leaning towards the first-person shooter style of play, like Survivor, and RE4. And I felt that Capcom, rather than staying devoted to their most devoted and loyal fans, yearned for the attention and money of that first-person shooter crowd. I guess, as a big fan of Resident Evil, I felt a bit let down. Capcom has always been capable of coming up with something good that always tends to keep me entertained for a good, long while. I just hope they come up with something good again. But it would be good if they get back to basics someday, like the things that initially drew me into Resident Evil in the first place. One can only hope. Petitions have no impact. Capcom doesn't look at things like that.

First person shooters could be classified as the lowest common denominator of gaming. Anyone with a single digit IQ can play them. When people hate something, it's usually because it's too much for them to handle on an intellectual basis and they don't understand it. I mean, as Resident Evil fans, we're not exactly Harvard professors or anything, but we're certainly not as dumb as CoD fanboys I imagine.

And no, petitions never work for huge non-Indie studios like Capcom, they are thoroughly a gated shut in committee at this point who hire so called "Experts" to get a market formula going.

Solution? Support more Indie devs like Invader Studios and other aspiring survival horror small development teams I imagine, where community contributions are actually encouraged.

Frag Maniac

First person shooters could be classified as the lowest common denominator of gaming. Anyone with a single digit IQ can play them. When people hate something, it's usually because it's too much for them to handle on an intellectual basis and they don't understand it. I mean, as Resident Evil fans, we're not exactly Harvard professors or anything, but we're certainly not as dumb as CoD fanboys I imagine.

And no, petitions never work for huge non-Indie studios like Capcom, they are thoroughly a gated shut in committee at this point who hire so called "Experts" to get a market formula going.

Solution? Support more Indie devs like Invader Studios and other aspiring survival horror small development teams I imagine, where community contributions are actually encouraged.
That's rather discounting the need for precise shooting, quick reflexes, and general dexterity, especially when they make Lycans quickly dodge your reticule, zombies stagger severely back and forth, Samcas dart around in the sky when they get near you, etc, etc. I can't think of one enemy in the game that doesn't have a pretty feisty dodge mechanic or guard to block their weak spots. I mean of all genres, shooters generally are not the ones considered to require deep thought, and rely more on shooting skill.

I'll give you one example, I was making a video guide on how to beat Doom Eternal on Nightmare for those like me whom lack the precision, reflexes, and dexterity to do rapid switching of multiple weapons, and elite aerial combat. Another senior aged guy like me found some of the tips useful, but in the end what kept him from beating Nightmare mode was the physical part of the game, mostly the shooting and evading attacks.

That said, I still love challenging shooters, especially ones that give you multiple ways to strategize, and I'll keep playing them as long as I can. To your point, while it IS true that strategy can play a big part in most shooters, you still need the ability to hit your shots, make decisions where to move quickly, and the reflexes to react effectively when things go south.

Top Bottom