• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Uncategorised Resident Evil vs. Resident Evil 2

Veniamin_Sasha

Бенджамин Эван Фер
I was wondering what you all find so find so interesting as well as fascinating in Resident Evil vs. Resident Evil?

Which is better in regards to story-line as well as plot and character development? I found RE2 much better, personally speaking. It had an awesome vibe, I am not saying RE1 is bad (by any meas), though.

I did enjoy the REmake a lot though, however has anyone found Lisa Trevor annoying and just plain tedious. Do you think she was used for filler?

the venomous grand design

REmake enthusiast
lisa trevor's arc was something mikami wanted to include in '96 RE but they simply didn't have the space for it, so it's definitely not filler. and i personally think she is the most disturbing character in the entire RE universe.

imho, as far as the original three, RE1 > RE3 > RE2. but you're really comparing three near flawless games here, although i think REmake is in a league of its own. there was just something so sinister about the original mansion story. and i think the dark, creaking woods are inherently more terrifying than the city. i'll never forget the sinking feeling my first time playing REmake when i was exploring lisa's cabin in the courtyard and i heard the door open and close behind me.

what do you mean when you say lisa was "tedious?"

Veniamin_Sasha

Бенджамин Эван Фер
That is so interesting in regards to Lisa Trevor in '96. What do you mean by they "didn't have the space for it"? Was it because it was a 32-bit and could not process it?

The most disturbing character in the RE universe would have to be either a tie between Plant 42 or the Yawn. I am referring to the Playstation one version. The creepiness of the mansion and how the Guardhouse was so unsettling. You never what was around the corner whether it be the bees at the end of one of the corridors or the spiders when you enter the pool table room.

Resident Evil 3 is far from flawless. It featured Jill Valentine in a skimpy tube-top and the supporting characters sucked. The only good that came out of was the weapons Nemesis dropped after being killed each time. Another element that I found bad was that aside from the zombies, hunters and the Cerberus dogs that were no enemies to be seen of again.

They never featured the Brain suckers or the Drain Deimos in other ones. Capcom, realized this and thus they stopped adding them.

Resident Evil 2 was by far the best one of the series. The action was pleasantly paced and Hunk and Tofu were introduced. They were bad-ass. I also loved the fact that they introduced the lickers which were by far the best monsters in the series (not including bosses). Bosses, overall (and in general) it would have to be the Yawn.

If we're talking stories, than yes the mansion was by far the best, simply because it introduced everyone to such an amazing story and Capcom is still pushing units; even after 18+ years.

What I mean by "tedious" in regards to Lisa Trevor was the area in the catacombs. The part where Chris had to get the flamethrower from one side of the caves to the other-side and she kept trying to hit him and after 3 hits your dead.

REmake enthusiast
That is so interesting in regards to Lisa Trevor in '96. What do you mean by they "didn't have the space for it"? Was it because it was a 32-bit and could not process it?

The most disturbing character in the RE universe would have to be either a tie between Plant 42 or the Yawn. I am referring to the Playstation one version. The creepiness of the mansion and how the Guardhouse was so unsettling. You never what was around the corner whether it be the bees at the end of one of the corridors or the spiders when you enter the pool table room.

Resident Evil 3 is far from flawless. It featured Jill Valentine in a skimpy tube-top and the supporting characters sucked. The only good that came out of was the weapons Nemesis dropped after being killed each time. Another element that I found bad was that aside from the zombies, hunters and the Cerberus dogs that were no enemies to be seen of again.

They never featured the Brain suckers or the Drain Deimos in other ones. Capcom, realized this and thus they stopped adding them.

Resident Evil 2 was by far the best one of the series. The action was pleasantly paced and Hunk and Tofu were introduced. They were bad-ass. I also loved the fact that they introduced the lickers which were by far the best monsters in the series (not including bosses). Bosses, overall (and in general) it would have to be the Yawn.

If we're talking stories, than yes the mansion was by far the best, simply because it introduced everyone to such an amazing story and Capcom is still pushing units; even after 18+ years.

What I mean by "tedious" in regards to Lisa Trevor was the area in the catacombs. The part where Chris had to get the flamethrower from one side of the caves to the other-side and she kept trying to hit him and after 3 hits your dead.
just to clarify going forward; imho = in my humble opinion.

if my memory serves me, mikami is on record saying that even with the 2 discs, there still was not enough memory (or something like that; i'm really not an expert on this kinda stuff) to include lisa's arc as he saw fit; something they were obviously able to achieve with REmake.

personally, i was never really afraid of P42, possibly because i never actually fought it; i've always prepared the V-JOLT when i've played through the game so i never actually had to engage with P42. i also find it difficult to be afraid of something that cannot pursue me.
as far as yawn, yeah she's kinda scary, but too easy to kill for me to ever really be afraid of; just wait for her to get wrapped around something and unload. but personally, there are two sure ways to scare me into submission in a survival horror game; enemies that occupy the uncanny valley, and enemies that are essentially immortal and ever pursuant. yawn and P42 are neither. lisa trevor is both.

as for RE3..maybe you should write shinji mikami a letter on dress code ethics if you're going to let your view of the game be swayed by something so superfluous.
however, i can agree with you on one point..carlos and the boys were pretty meh, but it serves its purpose; the game is very good at evoking despair and hopelessness, since more often than not, jill is either alone, questioning the motives of the NPC's, or in the presence of nemesis. speaking of nemesis, not only does he occupy the uncanny valley, and is ever pursuant, he takes it one step further; he outruns jill in every encounter. i have never been more scared by any video game than 6 year old me realizing for the first time that nemesis, unlike every other RE antagonist up to this point, cannot be outrun.

as far as RE2..i mean yeah it introduced hunk and tofu, but they weren't even in the main game. i feel like mini game characters is not something i'd personally take into account when considering what makes a game as a whole the best in a series. and yes, the lickers were cool as fck, and don't even get me started on T-00..

and coming back to lisa trevor..resident evil has always been a "tedious" game in that sense, full of backtracking to the first floor west wing to solve a puzzle that opens a door on the second floor east wing, etc. remember getting the serum for richard? it seems that again, we'll have to agree to disagree; the thing you claim to not like about the catacombs is my favorite part of them. being pursued by an immortal lisa trevor, trying to solve a puzzle as you hear her limp toward you as quickly as she can dragging her shackles, knowing that being cornered means certain death..not only does it make the situation scary as ****, it also introduces a level of difficulty i think has been lost in the more recent non-mikami RE titles. a couple pro tips for you though in that particular instance; when you first enter the catacomb lisa is in, you approach a fork. whichever way you go first, lisa will head that way from the opposite end. the best way to avoid her is to abuse this mechanic; head a couple steps up the fork one way, then sprint back around the other way to keep her at bay. also, if you don't like dying in three touches from a boss character, i don't recommend you play the game on hard difficulty; iirc, crimson heads, hunters, and lisa all kill in two swipes.

DarkJackal

I'm glad Lisa wasn't in the original. It just didn't feel like it fit to me, and the story certainly didn't need it. It almost seems like it was an attempt to action it up and maybe a ripoff of Birkin and Nemesis. RE1 was fine without her.

I think RE2 is probably the better one, but I love the feeling of wandering the mansion too, in RE original I mean.

TJay

Premium
Interesting thread! I've always preferred Resident Evil 2. For me, the overall concept was more interesting. The lickers terrified me for years. Briefly playing as a 12 year old with no weapon while zombie dogs try & attack. It just had a lot of very scary (to me) circumstances.

Saying that, RE1/REmake definitely had the better overall plot. Just not as scary or fun for me. I actually felt sorry for Lisa Trevor's character in a way. Reading the information we find about her & family is almost heartbreaking, realizing how long she'd been there & how long the research etc had been going on gave me the wiggins.

Currently I'm replaying Resident Evil 3, for the first time in perhaps 10 years. I didn't rate this game much from memory but I am thoroughly enjoying it. I find Nemesis tedious. Scary but tedious. I'd also forgot that this was the first game (in the series) where we didn't have to click to walk up stairs & things like that. So it flows nicely.

Somebody said above we're comparing 3 almost flawless games & I'm inclined to agree.

Veniamin_Sasha

Бенджамин Эван Фер
Yes, Lisa Trevor not being in the original was definitely a big plus on Capcom's behalf. I think they would have been trying to hard, additionally the series would of just came out and if people were struggling trying to beat it would have been even more difficult with her in it.

Capcom, made a smart move and waited until they garnered a following of esteemed fans, then they could do whatever they possibly wanted and the franchise would still sell. It was RE3 and RE4 that let me down the most in terms of the series.

Why do you find RE3 to be the best??? I thought it was horrible. Resident Evil 1, Resident Evil: Directors Cut, Resident Evil 2, and Resident Evil 5 were the best in the franchise.

REmake enthusiast
why should horror games be easy? what is there to be afraid of when you can just run 'n' gun with no worry of dying or making mistakes that will affect you in the long term?

sigh, i miss the days when even children's games (anyone remember genesis era disney titles?) were difficult. mentally taxing gameplay = smarter players.

Veniamin_Sasha

Бенджамин Эван Фер
I agree with you 110% on the challenges the player faces in RE3, however your ink ribbons are limited and what if you made it to the Clock Tower for example and the last time you saved was when you were in the Parking Garage? I, better you would be infuriated.

Yes, mentally tactful games are excellent, however, wouldn't you want to enjoy moments where you felt like you accomplished something?

Take for instance when you just made it out of the Police Station (RE2) and you did not save and you finally made it to the Umbrella Laboratory and you died by a Licker in the lobby. I guarantee you would be ****ed.

REmake enthusiast
I agree with you 110% on the challenges the player faces in RE3, however your ink ribbons are limited and what if you made it to the Clock Tower for example and the last time you saved was when you were in the Parking Garage? I, better you would be infuriated.

Yes, mentally tactful games are excellent, however, wouldn't you want to enjoy moments where you felt like you accomplished something?

Take for instance when you just made it out of the Police Station (RE2) and you did not save and you finally made it to the Umbrella Laboratory and you died by a Licker in the lobby. I guarantee you would be ****ed.
so what would you change? do you think capcom should implement taksies backsies after you make a fatal mistake? maybe you'll get your wish in the new REmake with this very easy mode i hear talk of. hopefully there will be no zombies at all and infinite ink ribbon. blech.

that potential frustration is exactly what makes hard games so rewarding. if there's no way to fail, how can you feel a sense of accomplishment when you finish? if there's no way you can back yourself into a fatal situation, what is there to fear?

i hope you never have to suffer through a classic JRPG or something heavily reliant on long term strategy like XCOM.

Veniamin_Sasha

Бенджамин Эван Фер
I would change the atmosphere as well as Nemesis. I was not particularly fond of him, I thought RE3 never involved anything truly terrifying.

I would incorporate a brand new scenario into the whole game too. I would of made a RE game strictly involving the outskirts of Raccoon City or the Arklay Mountains. We never really saw the chopper land when Bravo came in, so I would do Mansion game with them as prequel. Barry, Rebecca, Enrico, Forest, and Kenneth. I think it would be interesting.

They would involve new monsters, puzzles, and weapons. Everyone is always complaining on how Barry was never a playable character.

agentcell

I was wondering what you all find so find so interesting as well as fascinating in Resident Evil vs. Resident Evil?

Which is better in regards to story-line as well as plot and character development? I found RE2 much better, personally speaking. It had an awesome vibe, I am not saying RE1 is bad (by any meas), though.

I did enjoy the REmake a lot though, however has anyone found Lisa Trevor annoying and just plain tedious. Do you think she was used for filler?

The first RE that I've played was RE2 so that game will always be the one that started it all for me. It was a very different type of game when I first played it because I had to manage my resources and survive doing it. That game really taught me to be conservative with ammunition and resources and it carried over for all the games that I've played.

wayne

The first 2 games was amazing despite the cheesy voice acting in the first one, yes you are comparing 3 flawless games in my opinion and tbh my favourite would have to be 3.

Between the first and the second one tho i would go with number 2 i just loved the atmosphere in that game from the zombie filled streets to the deserted police station and the umbrella lab. Like someone said above tho number 3 shows all the despair and hoplesness and i think thats something the first 2 didnt really do because claire and leon didnt really know what was going on whereas jill did and she always questioned wether or not she would actually survive.

Plus with nemesis chasing her through the city and it was programmed specifically to kill her which i think made it more scary.

So imho the first 2 was great but i think 3 really topped it off for me plus it was the first resident evil game that i ever played and the first ones always tend to be my favourites.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
Resident Evil 2 is just a bigger and better game all around. It's not that the first one was bad in any regard. And the REmake is probably one of the most terrifying ones to date. It's just the larger scope and better monsters made RE2 a better game.

Mr. X is the most heart pounding tyrant to exist. The way he breaks through the walls to get at you just tore my insides open. And William Birkin is the best designed boss enemy the series has ever created. Lickers are way scarier than hunters too. The tap tap noise of the lickers claws on the floor got me every time.

Top Bottom