• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 7 Resident Evil VII Impressions

Turo602

The King of Kings
Resident Evil 7 is officially out, so what are your thoughts? Also, let's try to keep this as spoiler free as possible.

I was lucky enough to get the game yesterday at 9PM and I got to play a bit. I'm at the first save point in the second area and I'm enjoying it for the most part, but goddamn, this is not Resident Evil at all. It's been nothing but scripted jump scares and progression seems linear. There's still plenty of time for the game to prove me wrong, but I'm doubting it. I love the atmosphere, the gameplay is fine, but I haven't really felt like the game is scary. None of the encounters have really felt difficult to me so far which is disappointing. There was this major battle at the end of the first area that was rather pitiful and reminds me of why the enemies weren't scary in Resident Evil games from 4 and up. As of now, my suspicions seem to be confirmed though like I said, I could still end up feeling different when I'm done. I am enjoying the game like I knew I would but like Resident Evil games before it, I'm still really disappointed.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
I wasn't going to play this game myself, so I watched a complete playthrough of someone who got it early, hoping that seeing a little more of it would change my mind. But it didn't, and I've never been happier to have skipped an entry in the series. This might be a great game for people who enjoy hiding from invincible enemies while solving puzzles that aren't any more or less demanding than those from previous games, but it's not for me, and it's not RE. I know many fans will think otherwise because of returning classic features such as the mansion scenery and item boxes, but to me that's no different from characters in RE6 mentioning Raccoon City every five minutes. It's as if the director said: "If all else fails, play the nostalgia card, that will convince them!" Nope, sorry, it's not that easy.

The story is passable, but nothing revolutionary, the ending provides a good basis for a sequel, but what I'm not pleased with is the way the characters were handled. I can't continue explaining my opinion on this without a few spoilers, so I'll stop here - yeah, that sounds fitting, because if they're planning on continuing the series like this, then all I can say is: "Go tell aunt Rhody that the RE franchise is dead."

Even with all that said, I still hope others will still be able to enjoy the game for what it is. As I mentioned before, it's not necessarily a bad game in general, just not my cup of tea.

Last edited:

Mr.Tony

Holy Crap it made me jump scare many ****ed up ****ing times...the game is deeply crazy Mia...and shiiit, who's still playing it...i'm at 11 Hours of playthrough.

N7Valentine

Jill Sandwich Lover Since 1996
It's alright, but it didn't blew my mind like many of those reviewers say since I look mostly at the story rather than just gameplay...It's really not that bad but I still feel like they should've made it a spin-off title rather than actual sequel as it adds only more questions instead of answering them and hell RE's story is already convoluted enough as it is, but well.... Japanese storytelling is generally known to be very convoluted :rolleyes:

It has a tense atmosphere but it's nowhere near the level of Alien:Isolation which nailed it perfectly, imo. I really didn't find anything in particular scary except for maybe Marguerite, who scared the living crap out of me twice, but that's about it. Jack was rather funny than scary. The puzzles were not that hard but quite easy or maybe I've simply gotten better at solving them

Gameplay and controls are alright, so no complaints here

The story, well as I said I have more questions than answers. I feel like Capcom shouldn't really jump onto the hype train because other devs do. RE has quite a rich lore and they really should tie up those loose ends before tyring to start a new story and adding new characters because the series has already accumulated too much plot holes that haven't been solved yet. I know I sound like a broken record about it but Duh. Where's the hell is Jill Valentine? She's been canonically away for 8 years and Capcom didn't bother to explain what she's been doing all this time. She's a part of the BSAA, an important part even, but we know next to nothing about her :rolleyes:

Anyways I'd give the game a 7/10 as it's good but doesn't feel like a real sequel to RE6 more like a spin-off

STEM_inhabitant

So far, the game has been more exciting than it has been terrifying... Whatever made classic RE games terrifying isn't found here, but that's not a bad thing if you accept the fact that RE7 isn't a total return to it's roots like it was supposed to be.
It brings forth a lot of new concepts, and in that sense, it plays the role of RE4 for this generation. Whether those concepts work or not depends on the player and the type of experience that they like.

There are many subtle reminders that it is in fact a Resident Evil game. The nature of the objectives, the items, and the enemies all represent that, but much more of the game is affected by the influence that games like Alien: Isolation have had in recent years.
The entire design of the game is based on a nice concoction of two major concepts: It is a throwback to the series in terms of how it feels, and it introduces new concepts that have been made popular with games like Outlast and Alien.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
These teenagers seem to be really scared by Resident Evil 7.

I'm scared of Ethans arms just floating around without the rest of the body. Is this what the game looks like in VR?

Turo602

The King of Kings
Videos like that annoy me because they're just acting for the camera. Otherwise, who the hell narrates everything that they're doing and seeing in the game? The slightest most cliché thing can happen and they'll get loud over it. I knew from the very beginning that this game would be candy for Youtubers.

Also, I haven't tried the game in VR but that's one thing that always bothers me when I see footage of games in VR. I'd imagine the floating limbs would really kill the immersion. I don't know why either, but I've seen lots of footage in VR where the camera looks very choppy everytime you move it from left to right. Don't know what the deal with that is.

blivvy

Master of unlocking...
Premium
So I heard that banned footage vol. 2 is out tomorrow?

I did just download an update for Resi 7 that added new trophies so I'm guessing it is coming out then.

Top Bottom