• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 6 Re-Score

J. Padilla

Hey all! I'm a film composer and long-time Resident Evil fan and I wanted to share this with you. For my final film scoring class, I had to compose a 20 minute score for a project and had the opportunity to re-score some scenes from Resident Evil 6. Can't say I've seen this kind of stuff on the forums, but I hope you enjoy!

Rain611

You can't kill me.
I should first say that I am not a composer, but I am an amateur filmmaker (Mostly short horror projects).

I liked most of your pieces, especially the piano melody that played during some of the more dramatic scenes, however (and this is more a taste preference than anything) you placed some pretty dramatic scores on some scenes that I personally would have left without music. Also, while I like the style, the score during the scene where Helena's sister emerges from the pod was rather Silent Hill'esque and didn't seem to match the style of any other score that was presented. It was also hard to pick out any specific themes throughout the scores other than the piano. Overall though, can't knock it too much. It's good.

J. Padilla

Thank you for the input! It was really tough limiting myself to 20 minutes and trying to also create a mini story arc using scenes that could be scored for. I agree that the Silent Hill-esque cue differed from the rest, but it would have been a texture I would use more if I had more time for scenes with creatures. The tone was deliberate in that I wanted an industrial sound representing the corruption that industry had on nature by creating the viruses. The other mutation scene was quicker paced, but also used a lot of metal percussion to get the idea across. Another focus on those kinds of scenes was to create a kind of flies' wings beating texture in the strings which appears in the scene with Deborah, the scene with Piers and Chris fighting the flies, and in the very ending.

Regarding themes, I have longer melodic themes for Leon, Chris, and a general game theme. The game theme is in the opening titles as well as in the first scene with the president and Hunnigan. There is also a variation of it Leon's theme is presented in the scene with the president (both in the orchestra as well as the quiet piano after he kills the president), the ending of the "We're going to China" scene in lower strings, the scene between Leon and Chris, and the scene where Helena spots the missile. Chris' theme is used in his first scene, the dramatic scene after the fight with the flies (piano and horn), and his scene with Leon where Helena asks if they can trust him.

Other characters' themes are more melodic fragments that can be layered together or interact with each other. Helena's theme is a quickened piano theme that appears in the opening credits, a variation in the scene after the flashback with Deborah, when Ada warns Helena and Leon to play their cards right, during the scene with Simmons on the phone, a variation in the strings during the "We're going to China" scene, the end of the Chris vs. Leon scene, and the beginning of the missile scene.

Deborah's theme was a motif of open piano chords that repeat and descend. It goes from more somber to twisted in the scene of her mutation. It's last statement is when Leon puts his hand on Helena's gun.

Ada's theme is a single chord that has a dissonance to it. It's heard all over the place: the main title card, her first appearance, Chris' first scene after he says, "Is she in the city or not?" (this statement is the chord arpeggiated in the piano), the scene with the fight between Chris and Leon (the horn chords are a modified theme), and it's part of the chaotic ending cue (piano chords).

Simmons' theme is only used in the scene with him on the phone and it's just a sinister low melody with pulsing low chords. The pulsing chords are used in the opening titles as well as right before the zombie attack in the last scene.

Rain611

You can't kill me.
You're welcome. I'm sure if I had a chance to watch something feature length I would better be able to spot out themes and whatnot :)

weskerondope

i liked it, not perfect since some tracks fellt missplaced a bit, but i could not do it better, im an amatuer muscisian

Top Bottom