• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 6 Resi 6

Fishcakes

Just finished playing re6 for the first time since like 2016 (Leon & Chris Chapters). I remember I used to not be a big fan of the game but I really enjoyed it this time round, dodging mechanics n stuff are pretty cool, graphics and solid for a game made back then, had some good characters, I'm not gonna lie I don't care much about Helena or Jakes stories so I haven't played them yet.
Main question is why'd everyone hate on it so much? Was it the short chapters or what?

Turo602

The King of Kings
I think it was just the overall action heavy direction that people disliked. The biggest takeaway from RE5 was that it was bad because it was an action game, but it was extremely successful so Capcom followed the money but ended up with a product too ambitious for its own good and quite honestly, not as polished as the previous game.

Personally, I think Leon and Chris have the strongest campaigns because they feel the safest in terms of ideas. So maybe your opinion will change after having completed the other campaigns again. A lot of people also took issue with the gameplay early on back when the demo for the game came with Dragon's Dogma.

The characters move more fast and loose. The stamina meter adds a layer of clunkiness that just slows down the flow of gameplay on top of characters also getting knocked on their ass and stuck in an annoying loop of recovery and falling back down again. The process of consuming herbs was way too convoluted and people also didn't like how zoomed in and shakey the camera was either. A lot of basic mechanics were also extremely nerfed due to the whole skill point system. So I imagine it just wasn't an overall pleasant gameplay experience for many.

They did rectify some issues with a massive patch that came later, but it could have been a case of too little too late. The story was also extremely underwhelming and they really didn't deliver on any of their promises of pleasing different crowds with each campaign. It's just an overall unfocused product that would have benefited if they took the time to nail the gameplay and at least offer a solid and polished experience like Resident Evil 5 did.

I was a big fan of a lot of the new mechanics that made fighting hordes of enemies so much more engaging and satisfying like dodging, rolling, sliding, and countering. But unfortunately, a lot of people early on from what I remember of all the gameplay vids from back then just weren't really making use of any of them which was giving them a much harder time with the game. For instance, there's a way to recover smoothly from getting knocked down that could prevent the unfortunate endless loop of getting up just to get knocked right down again, but when people aren't making proper use of the mechanics, it's not gonna be a very fun time.

Fishcakes

Yea I get what you mean, when I played for the first time in 2012 it was pretty weird, not so much the action because I always enjoyed the action in resident 5 and those games. I dunno, now that I'm older I just real like all the hate me and other fans gave to it was sort of unjust if I'm making sense to you. Sure capcom didn't listen to the fans to much and it was pretty rushed, along with the action (which I don't think was a problem) and the different style of herbs and that stuff.
But yea, kinda feel bad now cause I'm really enjoying it.
I'll try some of the other campaigns, I can't remember to much from when I used to play it ages ago so we'll see what happens.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
Before RE6 came out, there was a huge backlash against RE5 for being TOO Action focused. Capcom announced that Re6 was going back to basics, so fans really believed that we would get something more in line with the original trilogy where the tone and gameplay were serious and terrifying. However, Capcom was obviously lying or at least thought they were producing something less action focused. But a lot of people did not feel like RE6 felt like it belonged to the RE Universe.

Take the Leon/Helena campaign for instance which is my favorite one of the bunch. It is an arcadey Left4Dead clone that moves Leon and Helena from one silly location to the next. There are a lot of good ideas, but you move from one to the next without a lot of puzzles, exploration, or meaningful interactions. The original games had smaller set pieces that you had to solve in terms of map movement and puzzle solving, but RE6 made all of the puzzles quick time events with little thought. Aside from that, do you know how many vehicles explode and Leon miraculously survives in that campaign? At minimum, 7. The campaign not only ripped of Left 4 Dead in play style, but then added later Die hard levels of action sequences which really turned people off. Instead of going back to survival horror, they pushed the action to the limit because they saw other series like COD, L4D, Gears of War selling well and Capcom wanted to get in on that train.

Resident Evil 6 is a really fun game, but there is too much going on and sets itself apart from the other games in the series by being more unbelievable than realistic (at least in terms of a zombie survival game, lol). It steals from too many other games and has a loss of identity that it hard to watch. But like, I said, the game itself is really fun and silly and still worth playing.

Fishcakes

Before RE6 came out, there was a huge backlash against RE5 for being TOO Action focused. Capcom announced that Re6 was going back to basics, so fans really believed that we would get something more in line with the original trilogy where the tone and gameplay were serious and terrifying. However, Capcom was obviously lying or at least thought they were producing something less action focused. But a lot of people did not feel like RE6 felt like it belonged to the RE Universe.
Take the Leon/Helena campaign for instance which is my favorite one of the bunch. It is an arcadey Left4Dead clone that moves Leon and Helena from one silly location to the next. There are a lot of good ideas, but you move from one to the next without a lot of puzzles, exploration, or meaningful interactions. The original games had smaller set pieces that you had to solve in terms of map movement and puzzle solving, but RE6 made all of the puzzles quick time events with little thought. Aside from that, do you know how many vehicles explode and Leon miraculously survives in that campaign? At minimum, 7. The campaign not only ripped of Left 4 Dead in play style, but then added later Die hard levels of action sequences which really turned people off. Instead of going back to survival horror, they pushed the action to the limit because they saw other series like COD, L4D, Gears of War selling well and Capcom wanted to get in on that train.

Resident Evil 6 is a really fun game, but there is too much going on and sets itself apart from the other games in the series by being more unbelievable than realistic (at least in terms of a zombie survival game, lol). It steals from too many other games and has a loss of identity that it hard to watch. But like, I said, the game itself is really fun and silly and still worth playing.
Yea fair point, I do remember people talking about that.

Fishcakes

YeA
I think it was just the overall action heavy direction that people disliked. The biggest takeaway from RE5 was that it was bad because it was an action game, but it was extremely successful so Capcom followed the money but ended up with a product too ambitious for its own good and quite honestly, not as polished as the previous game.

Personally, I think Leon and Chris have the strongest campaigns because they feel the safest in terms of ideas. So maybe your opinion will change after having completed the other campaigns again. A lot of people also took issue with the gameplay early on back when the demo for the game came with Dragon's Dogma.

The characters move more fast and loose. The stamina meter adds a layer of clunkiness that just slows down the flow of gameplay on top of characters also getting knocked on their ass and stuck in an annoying loop of recovery and falling back down again. The process of consuming herbs was way too convoluted and people also didn't like how zoomed in and shakey the camera was either. A lot of basic mechanics were also extremely nerfed due to the whole skill point system. So I imagine it just wasn't an overall pleasant gameplay experience for many.

They did rectify some issues with a massive patch that came later, but it could have been a case of too little too late. The story was also extremely underwhelming and they really didn't deliver on any of their promises of pleasing different crowds with each campaign. It's just an overall unfocused product that would have benefited if they took the time to nail the gameplay and at least offer a solid and polished experience like Resident Evil 5 did.

I was a big fan of a lot of the new mechanics that made fighting hordes of enemies so much more engaging and satisfying like dodging, rolling, sliding, and countering. But unfortunately, a lot of people early on from what I remember of all the gameplay vids from back then just weren't really making use of any of them which was giving them a much harder time with the game. For instance, there's a way to recover smoothly from getting knocked down that could prevent the unfortunate endless loop of getting up just to get knocked right down again, but when people aren't making proper use of the mechanics, it's not gonna be a very fun time.
Yea I definitely see what you mean now, played the Jake campaign and boy is it, ahh how should I put it, not to good

Turo602

The King of Kings
YeA

Yea I definitely see what you mean now, played the Jake campaign and boy is it, ahh how should I put it, not to good
Yep. It's definitely the campaign with the most unique ideas and mechanics, except... they're just not executed very well. It's a very messy experience and I personally never find myself having much fun with it. It's also by this time, that is if you're playing the campaigns in order, that you start to experience repeat segments that crossover with the other 2 campaigns which creates a bit of repetition. The enemies and general level layout are just quite atrocious overall.

I really could have done without Jake and Ada's campaigns. As much as I dislike Jake as a character, he could have easily been paired with Chris and Sherry could have been with Leon and I think the general story could still work out. Helena and Piers aren't really needed at all and if necessary, I can deal with a third campaign for Ada. But less would have definitely been more with Resident Evil 6.

Fishcakes

Yep. It's definitely the campaign with the most unique ideas and mechanics, except... they're just not executed very well. It's a very messy experience and I personally never find myself having much fun with it. It's also by this time, that is if you're playing the campaigns in order, that you start to experience repeat segments that crossover with the other 2 campaigns which creates a bit of repetition. The enemies and general level layout are just quite atrocious overall.

I really could have done without Jake and Ada's campaigns. As much as I dislike Jake as a character, he could have easily been paired with Chris and Sherry could have been with Leon and I think the general story could still work out. Helena and Piers aren't really needed at all and if necessary, I can deal with a third campaign for Ada. But less would have definitely been more with Resident Evil 6.
Yea definitely. I'm not a fan of Helena, I don't really think all the stuff with her and her sister are necessarily and it got kind of annoying with her constantly annoying me haha. I liked Piers, they actually did a decent job establishing a relationship to him but he's not really needed either so o agree.
the Jake and Sherry campaign is insanely messy and the introduction is terrible. If I'm being honest. Could maybe have been better?
Adas is a really cool concept, everyone's earned to play as her for awhile but wasn't done to well.
it is what it is though, and the two main campaigns were fine. Still a decent game with some cool new stuff

RedfieldFanboi

Started playing this again recently as well and while I do like it, it feels so bombastically out of step with the rest of the franchise. It sounds epic and every few seconds there's an explosion and the soundtrack is great - and it includes Chris (my favourite character). SO much is set up to be a big win but for me it really falls flat because of the base story that the whole thing is balanced on top of like a house of cards... that some guy you've never met was so in love with Ada that he found the MOST convoluted way possible to make his lead researcher look like her and now she's mad. You'd think this guy would just go for the cheaper and more effective methods of cosmetic surgery and mind control...

Anyway I still like the game, but man they really thought that story was epic. They didn't NEED the whole Carla/Ada thing. They were trying to force a mystery into the game, made of the most inane plot point they could come up with.

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
Yeah, no disagreement there on Ada’s crazy stalker story. I think part of what made that storyline so inane was because Capcom dropped the ball with finally addressing who Ada really is and what she’s really up to. They could have had a more insightful buildup to her character but, like Leon, it was just more of the same crap we’ve been fed before.

Seems like I’m one of the few who enjoyed Jake and Sherry’s campaign though. It’s a mess, sure, but I appreciate it more for what it tried to bring to the story of RE as opposed to Leon’s campaign that brought nothing to Leon’s story arc.

The only thing that Leon’s campaign had going for it was the section where you played through the zombie infested city again. Once Leon boards the plane, his campaign gets even more outlandish. Then of course there’s Helena who Capcom continuously shoved in our face to try and outshine Leon for whatever reason.

Ultimately I do enjoy RE6 for what it could have been on top of it simply being a fun game to revisit from time to time. It had some intriguing concepts that were just horribly executed.

Also, Leon fans can’t seem to admit Chris’ campaign is the strongest of them all. ;) #flamewarz

Last edited:

Ikawaru

It is a decent action game but it could have been much better. The mechanics and story are a mess. I had fun popping zombie heads so I'm not one of those "NOT ENOUGH HORROR!1" freaks but still if you're gonna do something, do it right and make the tacticool elements actually work well. Some more customization would have been nice.

Not sure if RE7 was the correct response to that but RE7 is now their best selling game so yeah that particular formula/arc is here to stay until it dries up and then they try something else.

RedfieldFanboi

Yeah, no disagreement there on Ada’s crazy stalker story. I think part of what made that storyline so inane was because Capcom dropped the ball with finally addressing who Ada really is and what she’s really up to. They could have had a more insightful buildup to her character but, like Leon, it was just more of the same crap we’ve been fed before.

Seems like I’m one of the few who enjoyed Jake and Sherry’s campaign though. It’s a mess, sure, but I appreciate it more for what it tried to bring to the story of RE as opposed to Leon’s campaign that brought nothing to Leon’s story arc.

The only thing that Leon’s campaign had going for it was the section where you played through the zombie infested city again. Once Leon boards the plane, his campaign gets even more outlandish. Then of course there’s Helena who Capcom continuously shoved in our face to try and outshine Leon for whatever reason.

Ultimately I do enjoy RE6 for what it could have been on top of it simply being a fun game to revisit from time to time. It had some intriguing concepts that were just horribly executed.

Also, Leon fans can’t seem to admit Chris’ campaign is the strongest of them all. ;) #flamewarz
Ironically of Leon's campaign the plane is by far my favourite sequence. It's so unique on the series, like the cruise ship setting of Dead Aim/Gaiden/Rev1 instead of yet another doomed city or yet another creepy house/castle/research facility.

Crashing the plane though... Yeah that's about when the game decided to take a flying leap into the world of Michael Bay.

Murderer Enshrined

I didn't like re6 because it's not survival horror. It's an action adventure OTS shooter. I don't mind action adventure OTS shooters, but for me, re6, as an action adventure OTS shooter, it really falls short of what I feel a good action adventure OTS shooter should be. I played every campaign at least twice, and gathered many chess pieces, and spent over a million points on skills and infinite ammo boxes. I played the hell out of that game. And hated it every step of the way. Why, you might ask? It was the infinite ammo boxes that kept me going. I just had to buy them all. I love it when my weapons are infinite. I eventually bought every infinite ammo box available. I don't care if the game sucks. If the weapons are infinite, I'm there, man. As a result, to be honest, I guess the game actually did keep me entertained for at least a little while. So, it wasn't a complete loss. Entertainment comes in different forms, I guess.

But I will say this: I played that game a long time ago. And if I had to recall and choose one campaign that I actually liked, it would have to be Leon's campaign. As I look back, it's the one campaign that sticks out in my mind as at least one campaign that I actually wouldn't mind playing again. Running around on the campus and eventually in the subway tunnel system with Helena really made it feel like a survival horror/horror flick type experience to me. So, I guess I can't say I hated it completely. It's simply not what I look forward to when I consider the prospect of playing a Resident Evil game, not in it's entirety, anyway. I guess it's simply that some campaigns may have been better than others. But maybe that's to be expected.

RedfieldFanboi

I didn't like re6 because it's not survival horror. It's an action adventure OTS shooter. I don't mind action adventure OTS shooters, but for me, re6, as an action adventure OTS shooter, it really falls short of what I feel a good action adventure OTS shooter should be. I played every campaign at least twice, and gathered many chess pieces, and spent over a million points on skills and infinite ammo boxes. I played the hell out of that game. And hated it every step of the way. Why, you might ask? It was the infinite ammo boxes that kept me going. I just had to buy them all. I love it when my weapons are infinite. I eventually bought every infinite ammo box available. I don't care if the game sucks. If the weapons are infinite, I'm there, man. As a result, to be honest, I guess the game actually did keep me entertained for at least a little while. So, it wasn't a complete loss. Entertainment comes in different forms, I guess.

But I will say this: I played that game a long time ago. And if I had to recall and choose one campaign that I actually liked, it would have to be Leon's campaign. As I look back, it's the one campaign that sticks out in my mind as at least one campaign that I actually wouldn't mind playing again. Running around on the campus and eventually in the subway tunnel system with Helena really made it feel like a survival horror/horror flick type experience to me. So, I guess I can't say I hated it completely. It's simply not what I look forward to when I consider the prospect of playing a Resident Evil game, not in it's entirety, anyway. I guess it's simply that some campaigns may have been better than others. But maybe that's to be expected.
I totally get not liking it for not being survival horror - and for me at least I forgive it that as it never wanted to be survival horror. As I recall the devs labelled it something like horror entertainment and opted instead to go the route of the Hollywood style blockbuster action adventure - which is my second favourite genre right behind horror.

It's also a very exhausting game. For how much it throws at you and how breakneck the pacing is, it's easy to see how even if there are parts or even a campaign that one would enjoy, the rest of the game can be enough to burn a player out. Where my time with it is concerned, I am actually quite split on how I feel about it - though I definitely did not like Jake's campaign at all.

I love the atmosphere and mostly loved the pacing and gameplay of Leon's campaign. I loathe QTEs in any game though and Leon's campaign seems to have the most from what I remember. I also didn't like fighting the same boss 4(?) times. It was excessive to say the least - but I guess "excessive" sums up RE6 in a word.

That all said as my connection to any game is primarily by the story it tells, Chris's campaign is my favourite in that regard - but I don't like military combat shooters, though I feel like this straddles the line between what I can tolerate to what is just too much for me to enjoy. Leon's campaign doesn't grip me as much as Chris's though, which to me feels like a great conclusion to his story (mind you I have my complaints about that as it is). While Leon's campaign might play the most like Resident Evil, I feel like Chris' story feels the most like Resident Evil.

At the end of the day I prefer the pacing and atmosphere of the horror-focused games in the franchise, but I also prefer the OTS viewpoint like in RE2R over the fixed perspective. There's a lot about 6 I do love, but there's also a LOT that I find frustrating - like the nonsensical main plot, with its throwaway villain; Jake's campaign; the sheer amount of times you die for no reason; Excessive QTEs... But boy does it feel like Resident Evil, when it gets it right.

Top Bottom