• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 6 Puzzles: Does anyone miss them? Are they needed?

Are puzzles needed in Resident Evil 6?

• -Yes

Votes: 18 75.0%
  • -No

Votes: 6 25.0%

• Total voters

sbr999

I was wondering, whether there 's going to be any puzzle in the game or not.
The last time I saw a decent puzzle was in CVX. After RE4 mostly it's just about killing the boss - who probably has the key for the next door- and then picking up the key-item then progress.

I know that RE puzzles were never nearly as hard as the ones in Silent Hill. But I think decent puzzle (read: requires some thinking) provided a diversity in gameplay, so it didn't end up in boredom. Plus it gave a good feeling after solving it.

I really hope there will be some in RE6, especially since they said they -sort of- want to return to the roots of the series.

What are your thoughts?

Jay

K.I.N.G.
The days of being in the mansion and R.P.D. are over. Hopefully puzzles will be as well.

ToCool74

Veteran Member
I miss them.

I loved how they actually challenged the players MIND instead of just your skill to go around and kill zombies.

It really was what made Resident Evil stick out from the other survival horror game at that time (minus Silent Hill which also had puzzles).

Puzzles should definitely come back if you ask me.

Jay

K.I.N.G.
Realistically speaking, I never understood who had the time to set these intricate puzzles. With a zombie apocalypse going on solving puzzles is the last thing someone would want to do. It just seemed out of place for this kind of game genre. Which to me is not what made the RE series memorable and great. It was the chilling atmosphere, not knowing what's around the corner, and when you did know you wanted to run. Unless Capcom puts a new twist on them they can stay gone.

ToCool74

Veteran Member
Realistically speaking, I never understood who had the time to set these intricate puzzles. With a zombie apocalypse going on solving puzzles is the last thing someone would want to do. It just seemed out of place for this kind of game genre. Which to me is not what made the RE series memorable and great. It was the chilling atmosphere, not knowing what's around the corner, and when you did know you wanted to run. Unless Capcom puts a new twist on them they can stay gone.

using the words "realistically" for video game really does add a sense of "wtf" don't you think?

Other games get to be unrealistic so why shouldn't Resident Evil?

To each his own I suppose, but I disagree with you on the notion that it should not return just because its "not realistic".

Jay

K.I.N.G.
using the words "realistically" for video game really does add a sense of "wtf" don't you think?

Other games get to be unrealistic so why shouldn't Resident Evil?

To each his own I suppose, but I disagree with you on the notion that it should not return just because its "not realistic".
I knew someone would quote me on that. Being its a game does not mean it has to be all fiction and can't have real aspects to it. Everything I stated makes sense when you think about it. Its Survival-Action Horror. If I wanted to test my smarts I'd play something meant for that. Though Leon and Helena will more then likely have a few. I just don't care for them in a game that's about bioterrorism. To those who do, enjoy.

ToCool74

Veteran Member
I knew someone would quote me on that. Being its a game does not mean it has to be all fiction and can't have real aspects to it. Everything I stated makes sense when you think about it. Its Survival-Action Horror. If I wanted to test my smarts I'd play something meant for that. Though Leon and Helena will more then likely have a few. I just don't care for them in a game that's about bioterrorism. To those who do, enjoy.

But thats the thing, Resident Evil already has enough realistic aspects going for it,

Why must it be 100% realistic in every aspect?

Every game whether it be Call of Duty or Halo has unrealistic stuff to them and I hardly see others complaining about it.

Like I said earlier, your entitled to that opinion and I'm not trying to change it, but I gave my opinion that I think the reason such as it "not being realistic so it should not come back" type of argument is in itself kinda ridiculous when you consider the fact that this is a video game we are talking about here.

Jay

K.I.N.G.
But thats the thing, Resident Evil already has enough realistic aspects going for it,

Why must it be 100% realistic in every aspect?

Every game whether it be Call of Duty or Halo has unrealistic stuff to them and I hardly see others complaining about it.

Like I said earlier, your entitled to that opinion and I'm not trying to change it, but I gave my opinion that I think the reason such as it "not being realistic so it should not come back" type of argument is in itself kinda ridiculous when you consider the fact that this is a video game we are talking about here.
No, I didn't mean the game has to be 100% realistic. What I meant by that is some of the puzzles that have been in the series were kind of stupid. A couple of them made no sense. By realistic I meant something more practical and thought out more.

Jay

K.I.N.G.
Than what would you suggest?
A few I disliked were the chess and animal puzzles in RE0, and nearly everything in RE3. Along those lines anything would be better. I'd like to see some that's worth doing and that'll reward you with more than a key to advance.

Loki

The Trickster
Premium
I like the puzzles but I think they fit in the early games better. The laser puzzle in RE5 just looked completely out of place to me.

Aleck

Biohazard
They're not needed, but they definitley helped make the Resident Evil games unique and I think they should be worked back into the series in the same detail as in the earlier games. Code Veronica and Resident Evil 1 were the hardest for me, but I enjoyed them greatly. RE 2 puzzles were alot easier and still enjoyable. RE3 was messier for me, but I liked it nonetheless. RE 0 was decent as well in the puzzle aspect..well from what I remember, and to be honest, I dont remember much from that one.

sbr999

In RE most puzzles were located before the lab area.
So technically it's logical for someone to set up puzzles/traps to prevent people who don't know the puzzles from entering the lab (eg: intruders)
That's true for RE4/5 too, but unfortunatelly they were ridiculously easy :S

I hope you understand what I mean. XD

I don't want to twist your words ("realistictically speaking"), but I prefered when birds didn't give me grenades and money. lol

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Are they NEEDED? No. Would it be NEAT to have them. Yes, within reason...I agree with Jay in the realism aspect...If I were in Raccoon City, I wouldn't want to solve a puzzle in the middle of the street...That's just...Odd...The Realism factor to me is one of the great things about RE...However, I also agree with SBR in that it made sense to have puzzles and traps, for example, in the mansion to keep one OUT of the secret labs...So, so long as they are done in a REASONABLE way, I will not be upset...But only a handful throughout the game...Maybe around six or so per characters storyline...

bruno

Chief Researcher
Although puzzles in RE1 and 2 made sense, in RE3 they seemed a little odd. I think that's because they hurried to make RE3, so they used lots of previous ideas from RE1/2.
Puzzles don't need to be designed as an explicit puzzle like RE1/2. They can be designed in smarter ways so they seem more realistic.

Leon_Redfield

King of Bel
Premium
Yea I'd have to agree about the 1/2/CVX having the better puzzles. Where threes puzzles made no sense like the water purifire one.

bruno

Chief Researcher
Yea I'd have to agree about the 1/2/CVX having the better puzzles. Where threes puzzles made no sense like the water purifire one.

Actually, I think that was the one which made more sense in the context of the game (although it was insanely difficult). The train puzzle itself was also a good concept (although it took too long to gather all the pieces).
I'm talking about that clock in the city hall gate, the battery in the mayor's statue, the fountain, etc.

Top Bottom