• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

PS5 Reveal Event

Turo602

The King of Kings
Seeing as how Resident Eville got us all bummed out, what about the rest of the Playstation 5 event?

So the console was finally revealed and I'm honestly feeling underwhelmed by it...
JeDQCvx.jpg

Lately, Playstation always seems to go for a stylish rather than practical design for their consoles and I've never been the biggest fan of them. I think the design looks very interesting, but the size of it and the way the disc drive just sticks out from the side makes the design look a lot more awkward. Especially compared to the sleek and symmetrical look of the all digital version. Personally, I think I can hold off on the console for a while. Hopefully after a year or two, they make an all black model and maybe even downsize it a bit because not even the Xbox Series X is that big for being the more powerful console. Besides, the Xbox already has my money this holiday for its backward compatibility and Halo: Infinite, despite the PS5's excellent lineup. Which speaking of, let's talk about those games, because Playstation really knocked it out of the park with what they showed, Resident Evil 8 aside.

I was very delighted to see so many colorful 3D platformers coming to the PS5 since Playstation has quite the reputation for making so many third-person cinematic games lately. I've heard nothing but great things about the last Ratchet and Clank on the PS4 and been meaning to get to it myself, but the sequel just looked absolutely incredible and did a great job of demonstrating exactly what Playstation is trying to achieve with the PS5's hardware.

Little Big Planet was a series I tried and wanted to like, but it was just so dull and the humor and gameplay just wasn't clicking with me. So I was very surprised by how good Sack Boy: A Big Adventure looked. I've been all in with the resurgence of the 3D platformer as of late, and while that's different for the Little Big Planet series, it's a direction I'm 100% on board with because it just looks like so much fun and what the series should have ultimately strived to be from the very beginning. Really got some serious Super Mario 3D World vibes from it.

And finally, there was Astro's Playroom, which looked incredibly charming and once again, gave me all sorts of Super Mario vibes. If Playstation is going all in with 3D platformers, there's definitely no better franchise to steal from than the king himself. I was initially disappointed at the lack of Crash Bandicoot after so many hints and leaks indicating its inevitable reveal, but he definitely wasn't missed after these 3 awesome showings.

I was once again surprised to see Playstation pushing yet another cartoony and stylized game with Kena: Bridge of Spirits, which looked like a cross between Zelda: Breath of the Wild and a Dreamworks film. What they showed looked amazing and actually kind of reminded me of the type of fantasy action platforming games we'd used to see during the PS2 and early 360 era. Great to see Playstation branching out from the usual suspects and straying away from the typical experience associated with the brand. Which is quite funny since a lot of the online Playstation warriors often criticize the other companies for having cartoony games.

Lastly, there was Horizon: Forbidden West. I haven't gotten to the first Horzion yet, but holy sh*t did this game look phenomenal. It actually has me eager to start the first one and it's actually really cool to see this game leading the charge into next gen as Playstation's biggest heavy hitter considering we probably won't see another God of War for a while, Uncharted is pretty much finished, and The Last of They/Them is closing out the PS4.

The only low points for me aside from Village: A Resident Evil Story, was the re-remaster of GTA V and Ghostwire: Tokyo, which turned out like nothing that I was expecting and has completely lost my interest.

I was initially upset at the Spider-Man: Miles Morales reveal, because I'm not a fan of the character and didn't really care for his inclusion in the original game or in anything Spider-Man for that matter. But once it became apparent it's not Spider-Man 2 and simply a stand-alone expansion like Lost Legacy was to Uncharted 4, I've since eased up on it.

But what were your guys' thoughts on the PS5 event? Digging the console design? Any games caught your interest?

Last edited:

cackledaemon

I don't really know to design a practical console? It's not like you play with the actual console. So to me stylish seems like the way to go. Plus to two bigs vents that wrap around the top of it are for air dispersal as the console has a superior cooling system than previous consoles to compensate for the more intense hardware getting hotter. I think. Could be wrong about that. And I think the new controller looks comfortable and it appears to have a d-pad similar to the psvita which is the only playstation system with a good d-pad so cheers to that. The return of the light-bar on the controller means that us RE fans might get to have the colour of our in game health in RE8 reflected on the controller like RE games on the ps4.

D

Deleted member 21244

The console design look Interesting but i think it dosent really look well when you put it horizontal, it's seems Sony designed whit a vertical look in mind, it's seems they forgot that most people will put the console horizontal... But it's not really a concern

But like @cackledaemon say i don't really know how a practical console should be designed since I don't play whit the actual console because the console just stand there... What matter is that the inside part are made well and the cooling system seems to be really improved from previous console despite ps4 al ready been good

As for the game I've seen, beside re 8 that i loved, i pretty much liked ratchet and clack and horizon zero dawn since they were the two only game that really looked next gen, for example the whole ratchet and clack gameplay was something impossible to do on previous console but thank to the ps5 ssd now it's possible to switch between map easy whit zero loading... Horizon zero dawn looked gorgeous, so this two game really seems to use the next gen, other game could have actually been possible on current gen...

I also liked that game whit the cat and the robot, and that game whit the girls whit the bow and those little black animals, kena... They look original and interesting

Capcom new game also look gorgeous and interesting, could become a new IP to be attached with

I also expected something else by shinji mikami new game, but maybe it can be interesting, mikami is trying new root, i would like to see more about the game

I wasn't that impressed by spider man mailes morales, graphic aside, i realize a soon as i saw the trailer it was a sort of Stan alone spin off

Gran turismo 7 looked amazing, can't wait to play

I will definitely buy ps5 over Xbox just because of the exclusive, I know that God of war 2, the last of us part 3, maybe a killzone are around the corner, and i cant wait to play... I would like to buy Xbox for halo, because i really loved the first two game, i played them on pc, also the backwards compatible could help me playing previous game i didn't play...

But since i can buy only one console i will choose the ps5, for the exclusive, and also because I can play all my ps4 game again and because i can transfer my psn account to ps5

Turo602

The King of Kings
I don't really know to design a practical console? It's not like you play with the actual console. So to me stylish seems like the way to go. Plus to two bigs vents that wrap around the top of it are for air dispersal as the console has a superior cooling system than previous consoles to compensate for the more intense hardware getting hotter.

Practical, as in simple, efficient, and easy to store. I know just based on my Xbox One X and PS4 Pro, that I very much prefer the design of the Xbox because it's just a simple box and it sits perfectly on my shelving unit whereas the awkward slanted design of the PS4 has it sticking out of the shelf. Not to mention, the tiny camouflaged buttons on the console that take a moment to find when you haven't used it in a while and the hidden disc drive and USB ports in between the dumb slanted plates. It's needlessly complex. And judging from the designs of the latest consoles, it looks like the same thing all over again, with the Xbox having the less flashy but more efficient and compact tower and the Playstation having this giant futuristic router with a disc drive sticking out of it. The Xbox Series X could sit perfectly where my One X is currently placed, but that PS5 is definitely gonna make me rearrange my whole setup.

Reactions: Jen

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
The console itself looks very impractical, and I'm also quite baffled by the design choices. It doesn't feel like something the current people at Sony would come up with, especially after how much they learned from their mistakes on the PS3 that they improved for the PS4. But I suppose history has a funny way of repeating itself. Even though the price is yet to be revealed, insiders estimate that it will land somewhere between 500-550 dollars and that's still being optimistic. Just like with the PS3, they're aiming for too much power and a hefty price tag and that's bound to bite back.

I'm mostly concerned about overheating. You can actually tell by the way they've designed the console to balance on top of a round circular thing, that this is deliberately placed in order to prevent direct contact with any surface. This is not a good sign. Perhaps the Xbox will come out on top in this next console fight, but as usual its the games that will decide everything in the end. The PS5 library does look more impressive even though most of the games are not for me. I absolutely despise all those cartoony indie-like games, they make me wanna vomit.

In terms of game reveals, Ghostwire: Tokyo was the biggest disappointment for me. I was expecting a melancholic, dark and realistic game more in line with the announcement trailer from last year, but this one turned out to be yet another anime-like fighting game full of sparkling lights and pretty fireworks. Sigh.

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
I actually really like the look of the PS5 and don’t really mind the larger shape. Then again my favorite look of all the PlayStations has been the sleek PS3 and that was pretty bulky. Though I think the PS3 was the worst in terms of lasting (stupid friggin yellow light of death).

As far as looks go, I am digging the white as a nice change up. I do think that the controllers look a bit bulky though and that, to me, is impractical. But it may be a while before I even get to purchase a PS5 as well, seeing as the only game I was looking forward to has left me on the fence. Eventually I will get it though and probably play RE8.

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
Look at that dislike bar...

I find it strange that we're living in an era where overly self-aware indie-like games by smaller studios gets the AAA game treatment in terms of presentation and time in the limelight. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against people whom enjoy these types of games, but to me it all seems like a pretentious way of companies like Sony to showoff how "amazingly diverse" they are. Although sometimes I wonder what these smaller studios are thinking when designing their games, and whom they think will actually buy these games. I mean the term "indie" has basically lost its original meaning at this point, indie games used to be games that were simply developed by smaller teams of people with little financial support. It didn't belong to any specific genre or had to look a specific way. But nowadays, it seems as if these smaller studios feel like they have to fit into a template of cartoony and self-aware games that are cute and weird just for the sake of being cute and weird.

Top Bottom