• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 3 Remake Narrative Issues

D

Deleted member 21244

Ok, that's fair. That parts on me for the misunderstanding, however, I'm not arguing that he needs to walk her through getting it turned on, just that she should 100% know where to go. As far as Racoon being barricaded, the cops are the ones that set up said barricades. Before the UBCS even got involved. If anything, the UBCS should be the ones confused because how would they know what barricades the cops set up before their arrival. Sure they may have knowledge on the layout of the city due to a briefing. But they wouldn't have known what barricades the police already set up until they arrived on site. If anything, Jill who has been in the city from the beginning while all this is going on would have more knowledge of the barricades. I mean, this is anecdotal, but I never even became a full fledged cop. Just the police academy itself, and I know where all three power stations are in my city. And I live in a city comparable to Raccoon. A midwestern city of about 164,000. If me, a dude who was basically the lowest from of cop you could be. A trainee, inherently knows where our power stations are, I would think someone with years of advanced training and local knowledge would as well. Now, I'm sh*t with electronics. I don't understand ANYTHING about how stuff like that works. I totally get Jill not knowing what to do AT the sub station and needing walked through that part. But getting there...the act of getting there, from someone who (originally) didn't have near the knowledge she had to guide her, is what bothers me. It lessens her as a character, plus implies they're making a bunch of changes. REmake2 already changed some stuff that contradicts the lore and creates some issues. RE3 was great BECAUSE of its simplicity. They seem like they're overstuffing it with far more unnecessary story that's gonna make it less cohesive, create more plot holes, and overall, just make changes that aren't necessary, that will fundementally change Jill as a character. And as someone who holds Jill as my favorite video game character of all time (Aside from maybe Sonic the Hedgehog), seeing her character change is a huge turn off for me...IDK. RE3 is my favorite of the original PS1 games, and this to me doesn't feel like RE3. REmake2 FELT like RE2, just with some changes I wasn't a fan of. This...Feels more like a generic zombie movie so far from everything they've released. Sorry, I know that was REALLY long winded and didn't add a whole lot...
That's why i say just wait for the game... You are taking too seriously some quotes from a gameplay trailer and you think they are changing the whole lore, we don't even know what the **** is going so it's pretty early to say that they change all re 3 plot and lore, not that there was so much to change since the story was pretty weak and minimal

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
That's why i say just wait for the game... You are taking too seriously some quotes from a gameplay trailer and you think they are changing the whole lore, we don't even know what the **** is going so it's pretty early to say that they change all re 3 plot and lore, not that there was so much to change since the story was pretty weak and minimal
And I'm saying I don't wanna wait for the game, I wanna have this conversation on the forum site where having conversations like this is the point, and anyone who wants to engage can engage, and anyone who doesn't want to doesn't have to...I'm not gonna "wait for the game" on a site thats about discussing the game often times before it comes out. Yeah I'm taking it seriously...Because I'm a huge fan. I want to like this game. I want it to be good. And I can talk about my first impressions with said game because that's what advertisements are supposed to do. Give you an impression. Sell you on something. I can complain how I'm not sold, when I WANT to be sold...You saying "Wait for the Game" completely misses the point of sites like this to begin with.

D

Deleted member 21244

And I'm saying I don't wanna wait for the game, I wanna have this conversation on the forum site where having conversations like this is the point, and anyone who wants to engage can engage, and anyone who doesn't want to doesn't have to...I'm not gonna "wait for the game" on a site thats about discussing the game often times before it comes out. Yeah I'm taking it seriously...Because I'm a huge fan. I want to like this game. I want it to be good. And I can talk about my first impressions with said game because that's what advertisements are supposed to do. Give you an impression. Sell you on something. I can complain how I'm not sold, when I WANT to be sold...You saying "Wait for the Game" completely misses the point of sites like this to begin with.
Well you are talking like you have already played the game by saying this dosent fell like re 3, they changed the lore ecc... While you are just upset by a two second quotes from a trailer that dosent prove anything... That's why i say that you should wait for the game, because you are talking like you already know all the story but you don't know nothing

A 2 second quotes can't make the game good or bad, I'm huge fan too but i don't take this things so seriously because there is nothings to take seriously since we know nothing about re 3 remake plot

Also jill in the original game never say that she know the city and she know exactly were to move, that was a quote from umbrella chronicles , many time she is helped and guided by carlos, so i don't really understand what is upsetting you, it's ridiculous that you think that just because Carlos tell Jill where to go this diminished her as a character

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Well you are talking like you have already played the game by saying this dosent fell like re 3, they changed the lore ecc... While you are just upset by a two second quotes from a trailer that dosent prove anything... That's why i say that you should wait for the game, because you are talking like you already know all the story but you don't know nothing

A 2 second quotes can't make the game good or bad, I'm huge fan too but i don't take this things so seriously because there is nothings to take seriously since we know nothing about re 3 remake plot

Also jill in the original game never say that she know the city and she know exactly were to move, that was a quote from umbrella chronicles , many time she is helped and guided by carlos, so i don't really understand what is upsetting you
...What are you talking about? Quotes from a few second trailer? I watched a 19 minute gameplay footage. That's MORE Than enough time to get a feel for the game, and see LOTS of dialogue.

Also, I never mentioned Umbrella Chronicles at all, so IDK where you're getting that from.

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
@KennedyKiller Umbrella Chronicles is where Jill said she knows the city like the back of her hand.

The cops put up the barricades, yes, but are we forgetting that Jill isn't a cop. She's special forces. If I'm not mistaken she was also put on suspension by Irons along with the rest of S.T.A.R.S. for trying to out Umbrella. She's not in charge of barricades and like I said before, probably not well versed in alleys.

I've lived in the same town my whole life, a much smaller city than 100,000 people, and I'm not confident I could get somewhere if I had to use nothing but alleys. The reason why? I've never been in an alley.

I'm not really going to go back and forth about this because like @Albertwesker959 pointed out, the game isn't out yet. Some of these gripes, derived from a chopped section of gameplay footage, could potentially be answered in the actual game.

D

Deleted member 21244

...What are you talking about? Quotes from a few second trailer? I watched a 19 minute gameplay footage. That's MORE Than enough time to get a feel for the game, and see LOTS of dialogue.

Also, I never mentioned Umbrella Chronicles at all, so IDK where you're getting that from.
I know this city like the back of my hand is a jill quote from umbrella chronicles, and you mentioned this quote before but this was never sayd by jlll in the original game... The dialogue i was referring to is the one between jill and Carlos when he told her how to reach the power plant, this dialogue is the one that is upsetting you from what i read

So what really upsetted you in this 13 minutes trailer?

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
@KennedyKiller Umbrella Chronicles is where Jill said she knows the city like the back of her hand.

The cops put up the barricades, yes, but are we forgetting that Jill isn't a cop. She's special forces. If I'm not mistaken she was also put on suspension by Irons along with the rest of S.T.A.R.S. for trying to out Umbrella. She's not in charge of barricades and like I said before, probably not well versed in alleys.

I've lived in the same town my whole life, a much smaller city than 100,000 people, and I'm not confident I could get somewhere if I had to use nothing but alleys. The reason why? I've never been in an alley.

I'm not really going to go back and forth about this because like @Albertwesker959 pointed out, the game isn't out yet. Some of these gripes, derived from a chopped section of gameplay footage, could potentially be answered in the actual game.
I know this city like the back of my hand is a jill quote from umbrella chronicles, and you mentioned this quote before but this was never sayd by jlll in the original game... The dialogue i was referring to is the one between jill and Carlos when he told her how to reach the power plant, this dialogue is the one that is upsetting you from what i read

So what really upsetted you in this 13 minutes trailer?
I wasn't quoting Umbrella Chronicles. I was saying that as a cop, she should know the city like the back of her hand. It's pure coincidence she used that terminology, because I completely forgot she said it, and haven't played UC in years. I was speaking as someone who ALSO went through Police Academy training, and knows the importance of knowing your city. Now, you can argue that Jill wasn't a regular cop and that STARS was privately ran, and that's true, but STARS was invented as basically a SWAT team. If anything, they're going to see MORE unique action than the regular police considering the reason for STARS creation was stuff like severe crime the cops didn't have resources for like domestic terrorism and sh*t on the rise. Effectively Raccoon City was a cesspool of crime before the outbreak, otherwise there would be no reason for the Mayor to create STARS. So even as someone who isn't a regular beat cop, if stuff is SO bad that for almost 2 years before the mansion incident, Jill is working insane crime cases in the city, she's gonna be an expert on the layout. It's just part of the job. And you may not have ever been in an alley of your own choice. That's fine. As someone who's responding to threats like domestic terrorism and presumably gang violence, and as part of a tactical squad, Jill would have PLENTY of experience with Alleys. That's gonna be a main entry point for lots of buildings in a big city. Super typical for SWAT type policing to be familiar with that type of layout and movement. Plus, all cities are on a grid. Knowing your city grid is another big deal in police work. And if the STARS are effectively a SWAT team, the best of the best and the elites, they need MORE skill than your average cop. So they're gonna have that city grid down pat. I think you're REALLY underestimating how badass Jill is, and how much knowledge she'd need to have for STARS if we're equating STARS to SWAT.

As for what really upset me in the Gameplay footage...exactly what I've been saying. An incredible amount of unnecessary bloated changes that completely change Jill's character, make her look more incompetent, and from a writing standpoint, makes absolutely no sense. The idea that Carlos would need to guide her through a city she has lived in and been an elite cop in for two years, when he has absolutely minimal knowledge of the area, is just bad writing. It doesn't matter how briefed Carlos was. No briefing is going to match the experience of 2 years as an elite cop handling Raccoons most intensive situations. Carlos taking the lead and telling Jill how to get where she needs to go, when SHE'S supposed to be the expert due to her background is just bad writing. It would be like Luke teaching Obi-Wan stuff about the Force in A New Hope, despite the fact that Obi-Wan is the trained Jedi.

D

Deleted member 21244

I wasn't quoting Umbrella Chronicles. I was saying that as a cop, she should know the city like the back of her hand. It's pure coincidence she used that terminology, because I completely forgot she said it, and haven't played UC in years. I was speaking as someone who ALSO went through Police Academy training, and knows the importance of knowing your city. Now, you can argue that Jill wasn't a regular cop and that STARS was privately ran, and that's true, but STARS was invented as basically a SWAT team. If anything, they're going to see MORE unique action than the regular police considering the reason for STARS creation was stuff like severe crime the cops didn't have resources for like domestic terrorism and sh*t on the rise. Effectively Raccoon City was a cesspool of crime before the outbreak, otherwise there would be no reason for the Mayor to create STARS. So even as someone who isn't a regular beat cop, if stuff is SO bad that for almost 2 years before the mansion incident, Jill is working insane crime cases in the city, she's gonna be an expert on the layout. It's just part of the job. And you may not have ever been in an alley of your own choice. That's fine. As someone who's responding to threats like domestic terrorism and presumably gang violence, and as part of a tactical squad, Jill would have PLENTY of experience with Alleys. That's gonna be a main entry point for lots of buildings in a big city. Super typical for SWAT type policing to be familiar with that type of layout and movement. Plus, all cities are on a grid. Knowing your city grid is another big deal in police work. And if the STARS are effectively a SWAT team, the best of the best and the elites, they need MORE skill than your average cop. So they're gonna have that city grid down pat. I think you're REALLY underestimating how badass Jill is, and how much knowledge she'd need to have for STARS if we're equating STARS to SWAT.

As for what really upset me in the Gameplay footage...exactly what I've been saying. An incredible amount of unnecessary bloated changes that completely change Jill's character, make her look more incompetent, and from a writing standpoint, makes absolutely no sense. The idea that Carlos would need to guide her through a city she has lived in and been an elite cop in for two years, when he has absolutely minimal knowledge of the area, is just bad writing. It doesn't matter how briefed Carlos was. No briefing is going to match the experience of 2 years as an elite cop handling Raccoons most intensive situations. Carlos taking the lead and telling Jill how to get where she needs to go, when SHE'S supposed to be the expert due to her background is just bad writing. It would be like Luke teaching Obi-Wan stuff about the Force in A New Hope, despite the fact that Obi-Wan is the trained Jedi.
The UBCS is in the city for about 15 days before they meet jill, jill on the other hand remained closed in her apartment the whole time, so Carlos probably know the city danger, zombie location, barricade ecc ecc better than jill

Jill was also fired by chief irons and put unders surveillance and ordered to stay at her apartment, she was literally in prison in her house, so she barely know what the **** is going on

If the remake follow this same story than Carlos is making jill routes easyer because she doesn't know the city barricades, danger ecc while Carlos and the UBCS probably made a good map about everything in the past weeks and he is now telling jill what route are the best to get to the station by encountering less danger possible

When the whole game will be out we will have the clear picture of the story and situation, and all this things will be answered, right now it's useless to continue discussing about this, because we don't have the necessary plot point to make the story whole and understand why Carlos is guiding jill
It's not bad writing, you just don't have the full picture clear

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
The UBCS is in the city for about 15 days before they meet jill, jill on the other hand remained closed in her apartment the whole time, so Carlos probably know the city danger, zombie location, barricade ecc ecc better than jill

Jill was also fired by chief irons and put unders surveillance and ordered to stay at her apartment, she was literally in prison in her house, so she barely know what the **** is going on

If the remake follow this same story than Carlos is making jill routes easyer because she doesn't know the city barricades, danger ecc while Carlos and the UBCS probably made a good map about everything in the past weeks and he is now telling jill what route are the best to get to the station by encountering less danger possible

When the whole game will be out we will have the clear picture of the story and situation, and all this things will be answered, right now it's useless to continue discussing about this, because we don't have the necessary plot point to make the story whole and understand why Carlos is guiding jill
It's not bad writing, you just don't have the full picture clear
As it presetntly stands, it IS bad writing, and that can be cleared up with more context. As for whether or not it's useless, that can totally be your opinion. But it's not mine. I don't think it's useless at all to take the information Capcom has given us, and talk about and form opinions based around it. That's the whole reason Capcom, or ANY company, puts out advertisements to begin with. To generate buzz and conversation so as to get a product to sell better. And that's exactly what I'm doing. Taking the information Capcom has given us in the form of advertising, and having an opinion and discussion about it. So not..it's not useless. In fact, it's exactly the point of said advertisement. If you don't wanna continue, and you find it useless. Sure, by all means, I totally get it. But then I feel like you're missing the point of advertisements and sites like this in general.

As for the UBCS...IDK about in the remake, but if you're referring to the original, you're flat out wrong. The UBCS landed in Racoon City on September 26th...

Top Bottom