• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Looking to the Resident Evil Community for help

BecomeBatman

Just recently I got finished with my playthrough/watchthrough/review of the Silent Hill series from start to finish on a different website (I can prolly pull it up if anyone is interested) and my girlfriend recently challenged me to do the same with the Resident Evil series. When I do this, I play the games/watch the movies on a series I have either never heard of or I am unfamiliar with in order of release year (North America release dates). I play/watch them in this order because I want to see who influenced who and how the series was brought about and how the series has evolved to what we know it to be today. I try to play the original games and not the remakes and I try to play on the original consoles if possible

With that in mind I looked at Wikipedia last night to compile a list of the games/movies to play/watch and it seems I may be a bit in over my head.

First off here's the list I have-

Resident Evil - 1996

Resident Evil: Directors Cut - 1997

Resident Evil 2 - 1998

Resident Evil 3: Nemesis -1999

Resident Evil Survivor - 2000

Resident Evil Code: Veronica - 2001

Resident Evil Code: Veronica X - 2001

Resident Evil (Film) March 15, 2002

Resident Evil (Gamecube Remake) - 2002

Resident Evil Gaiden - 2002

Resident Evil Zero - 2002

Resident Evil Dead Aim - 2003

Resident Evil Outbreak - 2004

Resident Evil Outbreak File #2 - 2004

Resident Evil: Apocalypse (film) - 2004

Resident Evil 4 - 2005

Resident Evil: Extinction (film) - 2007

Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles - 2007

Resident Evil: Degeneration - 2008

Resident Evil 5 - 2009

Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition - 2009

Resident Evil The Dakside Chronicles - 2009

Resident Evil: Afterlife (film) -2010

Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D - 2011

Resident Evil: Revelations (3DS Version) -2012

Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City - 2012

Resident Evil: Retribution (film) - 2012

Resident Evil 6 - 2012

Resident Evil: Revelations (console) - 2013

I did not include Resident Evil: Deadly Silence because it was just a DS remake of the first game, and Resident Evil Survivor 2 Code: Veronica because the wikipedia entry says it's an arcade game, but I'm not sure if that's correct.

So my questions are is there a big difference between Resident Evil and the Directors Cut? Because I cant even find the first game, so I settled for the Directors Cut off the PSN. Also, the wikipedia entry reads that the Gamecube remake is very different, is this true?

Is there any game on this list that you know for a fact I am unable to purchase or find a rom of? (ie an arcade game)

What's the difference in Resident Evil 5 and Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition?

Is there any difference in between the two Revelations games? (console and 3DS)

I look forward to all answers, and I want to thank everyone in advance, wish me luck on my journey!

Mr Sunshine

Hello there!

So my questions are is there a big difference between Resident Evil and the Directors Cut? Because I cant even find the first game, so I settled for the Directors Cut off the PSN. Also, the wikipedia entry reads that the Gamecube remake is very different, is this true?

You don't need to buy the original if you have Director's Cut. The latter includes the first plus a new ("advanced") mode which is harder and has different item placement. The story is the same though.

As for the remake, I haven't played it yet, but I'm plannning to sooner or later. From what I've understood it adds a lot in terms of storyline, gameplay and graphics of course. Plus you don't have the cheesy voice acting. It features new enemies, a couple of new areas and extra background information. So I'd say it's worth to play it.

A lot more worth than some of the games you've listed above. I could be wrong on some games but many of them are arcades/fps just like Deadly silence. Umbrella/Dark side chronicles, gaiden are a few that come to my mind. If you play solely for the horror element maybe you should skip those. But if you want to get as much information as possible from the world of RE I'd say go for them.

I can't help you with the rest of your questions. I'm pretty sure others can though.

By the way, this was posted in the wrong section I believe

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Actually, play the REmake for Gamecube, NOT the original. The REmake is the true canonical version. Because of the events in the REmake, other games are VERY heavily influenced. There will be certain things wrong with your interpretation of the game if you ONLY play the original.

BecomeBatman

Hello there!

You don't need to buy the original if you have Director's Cut. The latter includes the first plus a new ("advanced") mode which is harder and has different item placement. The story is the same though.

Yay :3

A lot more worth than some of the games you've listed above. I could be wrong on some games but many of them are arcades/fps just like Deadly silence. Umbrella/Dark side chronicles, gaiden are a few that come to my mind. If you play solely for the horror element maybe you should skip those. But if you want to get as much information as possible from the world of RE I'd say go for them.

I am jut trying to play as many games as possible. To get the history of RES

Actually, play the REmake for Gamecube, NOT the original. The REmake is the true canonical version. Because of the events in the REmake, other games are VERY heavily influenced. There will be certain things wrong with your interpretation of the game if you ONLY play the original.

Good to know, I will add it to the list then.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Good to know, I will add it to the list then.
So in all honesty, there is no need to play the Playstation Versions of RE1 at all. Are you planning on playing them in CANONICAL order, or order of release? Because Canonical order seems MUCH more fitting.

Jen

Girly Gamer
Premium Elite
Premium
What's the difference in Resident Evil 5 and Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition?

Is there any difference in between the two Revelations games? (console and 3DS)
The difference between RE5 and RE5 Gold Edition is mainly that you get all of the DLC included in Gold. So that's two side-campaigns, The Mercenaries Reunion, and Versus mode. Plus there are a couple of new costumes.

As for Revelations, I think the main differences are that in the console port there is a new difficulty setting, a new monster to encounter, some new characters for Raid Mode, and new costumes for both the campaign and Raid Mode.

I think those are all of the main differences, though I'm sure someone else will be able to fill you in if there's anything I've missed. :smile:

BecomeBatman

Got it, get gold edition... and I will probably get the console port of revelations then.

As far as canon goes, like I said in my first post, I'm looking to soak up as much of RE as possible, playing through all the games and trying to avoid unnecessary remakes.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Got it, get gold edition... and I will probably get the console port of revelations then.

As far as canon goes, like I said in my first post, I'm looking to soak up as much of RE as possible, playing through all the games and trying to avoid unnecessary remakes.
Can I suggest an order for you then, because playing them in the order you've listed them probably isn't the best way to go about it.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Play the games and watch the CGI movies as such.

Resident Evil 0 - GC
Resident Evil - GC
Resident Evil 2 - PS1
Resident Evil 3: Nemesis - PS1
Resident Evil: Survivor - PS1
Resident Evil: Outbreak - PS2 (Optional)
Resident Evil: Outbreak File 2 - PS2 (Optional)
Resident Evil: Code Veronica X - PS2
Resident Evil: Survivor Code Veronica (Not just Arcade, but Optional)
Resident Evil: Dead Aim - PS2
Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles - Wii
Resident Evil: Darkside Chronicles - Wii
Resident Evil 4 - Wii or PS2 (Not GC)
Resident Evil: Degeneration (Cannon CGI Movie)
Resident Evil: Revelations - Console
Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition -
Resident Evil: Damnation (Cannon CGI Movie)
Resident Evil 6

Then watch the Live action movies.

Don't worry about Outdated/Non-Cannon games such as
Resident Evil - PS1
Resident Evil: Director Cut - PS1
Resident Evil: Code Veronica
Resident Evil: Gaiden
Resident Evil: 5

Top Bottom