1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Let's Talk About Elections

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by La Femme Fatale, Aug 18, 2015.

1. La Femme Fatale

La Femme Fatale The Queen Moderator

I don't want to plug up the thinking thread with my election musings - and considering both Canada and the US are campaigning federally right now, thought I'd create a thread for people to share their thoughts on whichever election they'd like to talk about.

Just saw this...
    [​IMG]
    Way to keep it classy, Tories.

Maddy7 likes this.
  2. Meg

Meg So bin ich eben

If Hillary Clinton wins the Democratic nomination, I might have to go Republican regardless of who the candidate is.

3. Flipqy42

Flipqy42 Just who the hell do you think I am??

Everyone of either party is, and forever will be, a massive prick. It's always constant arguments about equality and religion and what to do with the budget and coming up with excuses to sh*t some middle eastern country.

So I'm just going to ignore the entirety of 2016. (Well, except maybe for certain game releases)

Leons-sexy-hair likes this.
  4. Maddy7

Maddy7 Well-Known Member

For the Canadian election: NO HARPER. PLEASE. PLEASE, GOD, JUSTIN TRUDEAU.

For the American election: Trump is a joke, and another Bush? I don't feel like seeing the U.S suffer again like they did with the others. I wish Obama could be president again, but since that isn't happening, any Democrat. If a Republican wins, I'm going to cry.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
    Airaku and La Femme Fatale like this.
  5. La Femme Fatale

... what exactly do you expect a campaign trail to be? You don't seem like someone who is into politics period, lol.

Anyway, I love reading all the comments from the NDP on Justin's latest campaign ad. They're so sure they've got the election in the bag while each party is currently in a dead tie.

Gosh I hope Justin wins. I'm so tired of Harper. The Liberal candidate I've been helping out is such an awesome individual. He's a refugee, human rights lawyer & one of the prosecutors in the Rwandan genocide. He has so much energy it's exhausting - I really hope he wins.

Airaku, Maddy7 and Flipqy42 like this.
  6. cheezMcNASTY

cheezMcNASTY Entertain me. Supporter

Voting Bernie Sanders. I'll skip the why because I've lost my taste for arguing politics, in case someone here might get the bright idea to pick at my reasoning.
    I WILL, however, pass along some of the best websites I know of for researching politicians in the USA. Encourage everyone to do some digging and take a hard look at their candidate of choice before settling for blind certainty. The news, John Stewart, campaign commercials, and all the things readily AVAILABLE to you often have an agenda of their own. Don't let them spin you.

1. OpenSecrets - lists all campaign donations, including the amount and who made them.
    Recently a facebook viral image circulated that made claims, I was able to personally verify its validity. As it turns out, Hillary Clinton has plenty of big dollar donations (Time Warner stands out), while Sanders's donations thus far have been almost entirely from worker's unions. This will likely change should Clinton lose the primary but is interesting nonetheless.

SIDE NOTE: Did you know even sports franchises make donations? Your home team may be sending boat loads of money to someone you don't want. You'll have to google the donor's name, of course, but my time in a journalism program showed me that Bob Castellini, owner of the Reds, sends lots of love to republican candidates in the swing state of Ohio.

2. PolitiFact - The snopes.com of politics. It breaks down statements made by politicians and, VERY expertly citing its sources, says how true they are. Extra credit to them because they take very meaty things and present them in a concise manner that's easy to get at a glance if you aren't in the mood to read paragraphs.
    It even has profiles for politicians which show how truthful/accurate they have been historically.

Both websites are politically neutral. Wonderful resources for any USA voter. Highly recommended.

@Meg Is this part of the reason you're so anti-Clinton?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  7. Spikeyroxas

Spikeyroxas Pencil Artist Supporter

All politics make me angry

8. Airaku

Airaku Stray Jedi

Wow there are some people on this thread that shares the same political views as me! :P I normally either like to talk about politics or stay the hell away from it. Ugh most people vote for who ever makes them pay less -_- Some people have no freaking idea of what's important or needs to change. Things are definitely heated in both North American countries.

The Canadian elections are coming up and there really only seems to be one clear choice in my opinion! =)

Harper is a selfish asshole who's been destroying our country's image and trying to remove the middle class. I could write a whole essay on things he's done, doing, and continues to lie about. I cannot understand why anyone would vote for a man who ordered something so atrocious like the 2010 G-20 to occur. He can try to pretend it never happened but people will never forget! He authorised that and should be held accountable for his actions, and that is just the tip of the iceberg.

I loved and voted for Jack Layton last election but Tom Mulcair isn't the brightest bulb in the shed. He's basically a celebrity who is telling people what they want to hear. For example he claimed he will support and push the oil industry forward and then he goes on to state that he is going to fully back the environmentalist and clean up the environment. His whole best of two worlds remakes. I can only imagine how badly BC is going to light his ass on fire for stating bullshit like that with all pipeline controversy not too long ago. I wouldn't be surprised if he makes the country go into a rescission and he continues to display a lack of direction imo.

Justin Trudeau is the only obvious choice. He actually cares about and is in touch with the younger generation. He may actually be able to fix half of this country's problems and give our generation the push it needs to be successful. The guy understands the age of technology and the world moving into tomorrow. All the claims about him being inexperienced is BS because like La Femme Fatal said, he's got an impressive list of feats that are more beneficial and in my opinion, more important than his competition. Those who claim that he is too young.... THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT WE NEED! A politician that is in touch with todays world and isn't attached to the past or doesn't cling to greed.

As for the American election... I could go on and on about it. I actually stand behind Hilary Clinton and she has an amazing administration behind her. She may have her flaws but she also holds something that could be hope for a better future. Something that I strongly believe in but am a little reluctant to get into here. xD
    What's gotta be said has to be said! Donald Trump is for the lulz! I am always laughing my ass off when he's on LOL!

Maddy7 and La Femme Fatale like this.
  9. Loki

Loki The Trickster Supporter

I don't know anything about American politics but here's a funny bad lip reading video of the presidential debate.

Maddy7 likes this.
  10. La Femme Fatale

Just to clarify, Justin Trudeau is not a human rights lawyer. I believe he was a teacher before entering politics. When I was talking about a Liberal candidate, I was referring to Arif Virani, the Liberal candidate in my riding - as we vote for local candidates, not the leader himself unless we live in the leader's riding.

Don't get me wrong, I'm 100% for Justin Trudeau - but a significant reason why he's there is because he won the sperm bank jackpot when he was born to Pierre Trudeau. But I do agree that he's the least politician-like of the three candidates. He's not terribly polished, so he makes some goofs, but at the same time he seems far more genuine than the competition. And he's really rocking with his campaign ads - love how he's taking all of Harper's 'Justin's not ready, but he has nice hair' and throwing it back at his face in a way that may very well resonate with Canadians.

He's also the only one talking about raising taxes on the most wealthy to help the middle class. Which takes guts - I don't see Mulcair being so open about it.

Airaku and Maddy7 like this.
  11. KevinStriker

KevinStriker "Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?"

Jesus Christ, haha.
    The first three statements aren't even relevant, and the fourth is pretty debatable, I'd say.

But in general, I don't really feel confident in any of these Candidates, they all give me the feeling that they're bought out. I just want Harper to GTFO at this point. The amount of Conservative seats in the House has baffled me for years now...

Maddy7 and Airaku like this.
  12. La Femme Fatale

Well, the first is relevant. I've done a lot of canvassing and I know first hand that voters are generally much more open to candidates who live in the riding and are active in the community. They don't like outside candidates coming in asking to be their rep in parliament. I think it's really the only relevant thing on the poster, though using their policy platform would be oodles more effective. I think, though, that it's a terribly weak poster.

13. Meg

Meg So bin ich eben

No actually.

I suppose my dislike for Clinton is because of the sheer number of people I know who love her just because she is a woman, which isn't Clinton's fault. But I really don't think she's anything special. If fact, I think she's downright slimy.

I don't get people.

14. Airaku

Airaku Stray Jedi

15. cheezMcNASTY

It's a joke. If I started pointing out all the reasons it was irrelevant and stupid, I'd be typing all night so I'll just say this: it doesn't qualify as election news let alone anything worth anyone's attention.

Airaku likes this.
  16. Airaku

Airaku Stray Jedi

And that's why it was funny lmao!
    I loved how he was trying to keep all his emotions in at the end and starting breathing like he had a confession to make! xD

17. La Femme Fatale

I totally agree. Don't get me wrong, she's certainly intelligent and experienced in politics and I'd take her any day over any Republican candidate, but I think people are under the illusion that just because she's a woman she'll be a catalyst for any sort of effective, progressive change. But her policies are nothing to write home about and she's, as you said, a pretty shady politician who gets a pass because she could be the first female President. Bernie Sanders really is the only person running that has a vision for the United States that isn't either stagnant or flat-out destructive.

Meg likes this.
  18. cheezMcNASTY

La Femme Fatale likes this.
  19. Meg

Meg So bin ich eben

I can not WAIT for the debates. This thread is going to blow up with my thoughts. I don't care if this thread dies before then. I'll bump it as high as I need to. Elections! Debates! Excitement!

20. Romero

Romero Her royal court joker Moderator Supporter

^ You're so funny. :D

We have elections in Norway too very soon, it's on Monday. It's local elections for councils and counties, and it bugs me how big a part national politics plays in the campaigns. What the national parties thinks should not matter because they don't make local decisions. And often the local party is in disagreement with their national parent party on various issues, it's not a given that I vote on the same party locally as I would nationally.

Can we not all vote for a Coup d'├ętat this time.