• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

LA Resident Evil Movies-Your thoughts

PinkHerb

Healing Item
Now that Anderson's Resident evil movies are finally over, I would like to hear your thoughts on the movie franchise as a whole. Did you love it, hate it, guilty pleasure or just neutral to it?

I'll start things off to give my thoughts on it.

I liked it at first, the first movie wasn't great, but i thought that it had potential. Anderson wasn't new with the whole video game movie thing, he directed the Mortal Kombat movies, so I had faith in him. However, my faith was declined after I watched Apocalypse, then things gotten worse after that. Needless to say that I grew to dislike the movies with each entry. They are good for a laugh and making fun of for being bad, and that's about it. Other than that, I feel that from the second to last film, they were just bad for various reasons. I personally really wanted to like the movies, but I just couldn't.

I only liked the first movie though...its a plus I guess.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
The one thing the movies do better than the games in my opinion is focusing on one evil company and one virus at all times. The games keep coming up with new names for us to remember, only to reveal that they all do the same thing anyway. Be it Umbrella, Neo-Umbrella, Tricell, WilPharma - by now you know that every pharmaceutical company they introduce will turn out to be evil at some point, so it's not even surprising anymore. The movies have more of a common thread in that regard.

Other than that - I really don't understand how this crap could go on for as long as it did. The live action movies do absolutely nothing right - they don't stay true to the source material, the characters are crap, the jokes are lame, a story is practically non-existent, and all they have to show for it is a bland Mary Sue heroine dancing around in tight outfits that are probably supposed to be sexy. Yet there must still be people out there who paid money for cinema visits and DVDs, otherwise the series would have been canceled a lot sooner - no offence to all of you who like watching these abominations for one weird reason or another, I just don't understand you. :razz:

I have to admit I did enjoy Apocalypse to some degree, that's also the only one that I watched more than once, but all the others left me with the feeling of having needlessly wasted two hours of my life that I will never get back. So yeah, long story short: Maddy said it all with much fewer words.

Jen

Girly Gamer
Premium Elite
Premium
I have to be honest, I've always hated the live action movies with a passion.

Lithium

I liked the first one (watched it before I got into the games), but fell asleep when watching 2 and 3 with some friends. I think, we watched 4, too.
Never watched 5, because I don't want Leon to be connected with Johann Urb in my head.

Rain611

You can't kill me.
Never watched 5, because I don't want Leon to be connected with Johann Urb in my head.

This made me laugh lol.

On topic though, I really liked the first one, as you can probably tell by my username and I've cosplayed as Rain several times... but I'm wandering off topic again. I liked the original story with the Hive and stuff but even from the get go was a little put off by this chick with amnesia who was secretly a martial arts/weapons expert.

I hated the second movie more than any of the others, save for maybe The Final Chapter, but I thought the 3rd, 4th and 5th movies were better as they progressed. Not amazing by any means, and I feel like Paul was sabotaging himself by trying to keep up with the games as the movies were released, adding cheap little gimmicks for those that might've been paying attention. In that regard, I feel like it probably would've been better for him to spend more time developing the story (and perhaps researching his previous installments) rather than trying to keep up with the games and twisting his movies to slightly resemble the games in any way. Given enough time and care, I'm sure the series might've actually been something decent.

Off topic slightly; I've never actually watched a lot of Paul's movies (I watched Mortal Kombat years ago and from what I recall, I didn't like it) and so I'm not entirely sure if this level of source abandonment is a trend throughout his projects or what. And I have to also wonder how much of it was because Milla got too involved in forming the story to make her look better (I remember reading years ago that her character in the first movie was not supposed to be so combat adept, and it probably would've made me see her character as a lot more relatable. By the end of the series I despised her and couldn't wait to see them kill her off. I didn't care how or when or why.) <--- That wasn't a spoiler by the way, just how I felt as the series progressed because there is pretty much nothing I liked about Alice as a character.

Anyway, so in summation, I very much liked the first movie and the direction it was taken. I was perfectly ok with the fact that it didn't involve characters from the games and that it was merely in the universe. But as the movies carried on it seemed to become more and more reckless, not knowing what it wanted to be as a whole, and so, while I did enjoy later installments, it really all became a big mess, culminating in a final chapter that left me furious as a writer. I won't go into that here, since I left a pretty long review for the movie in a different thread. It had potential in the start but I feel like Paul squandered it. Sad really.

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
dumb_zpsfqojaq55.gif

berto

I Saw the Devil
I saw the first one again the other day and it was passable as its own thing but in general they are just a mess of incomplete ideas and half assed executions.

I get the feeling that this franchise slowly became the most expensive character replacing fan fiction around.

Top Bottom