• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Is RE4 Remake truly due next?

Wesker90

I've been following up on these leaks and rumors that RE4 is soon to be released I'm guessing late this year earliest or early next year latest now that will get fans really hyped if we get so much as an official announcement of it.

Dr. Cheesesteak

My guess is Q1 or Q2 2023. Usually these days, AAA games are announced at least a year ahead of time. At least a half year ahead of time, even for JP devs.

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
I think the chip shortage has caused many developers to push game announcements back.

Capcom made the decision to skip a RE game like Code Veronica and jump right into remaking one of their best selling games. No doubt they were fully intending for REmake 4 to be released on the latest platforms and pull in lots of revenue but everything is in limbo.

Teen Tyrant

The Master Debater
Hopefully they’ll skip it completely. Capcom doesn’t need any more remakes. Hell, they didn’t need any remakes, period, except the first game, and they did that literally 20 years ago. And the last thing they need to do is remake 4, of all games.

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
Hopefully they’ll skip it completely. Capcom doesn’t need any more remakes. Hell, they didn’t need any remakes, period, except the first game, and they did that literally 20 years ago. And the last thing they need to do is remake 4, of all games.
Granted, I also don't think RE4 needs a remake but 2 and 3 definitely benefitted from being remade since we got to experience them in a new light - That being over-the-shoulder. Hell, I would even want a remake of the RE1 remake, an idea I was against before but I love RE1 so much that I just can't get enough of it.

Wesker90

Granted, I also don't think RE4 needs a remake but 2 and 3 definitely benefitted from being remade since we got to experience them in a new light - That being over-the-shoulder. Hell, I would even want a remake of the RE1 remake, an idea I was against before but I love RE1 so much that I just can't get enough of it.
To be fair is there really anything more you can do with RE1? Aside from being over the shoulder and better graphics.

Ikawaru

To be fair is there really anything more you can do with RE1?

The only thing I can think of is that the game is backwards as in it becomes easier as you progress because you're snowballing in lots of high powered ammunition for high powered weapons where's the beginning is very difficult because you have extremely limited ammo with a Beretta 9mm fending off zombies that turn into Crimson heads. Shouldn't games combat become more difficult as you progress?

So...I think a good change would be starting off with more ammo and being better armed BUT you have to be very careful with what you spend at the beginning because you won't find much later on to use on tougher opponents like Hunters and Chimera (Hunters were nerfed in REmake to be honest though and were much more difficult to deal with in the original).

Other than these minor gameplay gripes REmake remains a masterpiece, and shouldn't be altered too much.

Turo602

The King of Kings
Honestly, like Jonipoon, I've been on board with them remaking the original again just because of how good REmake 2 was. Yeah, REmake will always be a masterpiece, but it's not exactly a modern or accessible experience. There's tons they could do with another remake beyond modernizing the presentation and gameplay, and even if they did just that, that would be enough for me.

But I actually wouldn't mind them taking lots of liberties with it either so that they could craft a much more sensible story for both Chris and Jill and change up the gameplay experience to reflect those changes as opposed to staying married to the original's concept that was already faithfully remade, flaws and all.

Personally, I always thought it would be cool for them to start the game at the RPD and flesh out the characters and their mission more, which also serves as a great way to tie RE1 and RE2 together by making their worlds feel like they exist in the same space.

I also liked the idea of gameplay starting in the woods leading to the mansion just to beef up the experience since technology could allow for it now. It'd also just be really cool being able to start the game feeling like an actual equipped STARS unit, until members start splitting up, getting picked off, dropping their weapons, and slowly setting the tone for the survival horror that's about to take place.

The cool thing though, someone has actually been working on a remake showcasing some of these exact changes.
There's just so much potential in a project like this and while it may be unnecessary, I will never complain about getting to play more of what I already like. The visual of it alone just makes the entire thing worthwhile for me.

Ikawaru

but it's not exactly a modern or accessible experience.

What do you mean by this, exactly? I play tons of modern games and I don't find many of them more accessible than REmake. You're gonna have to give a good example here because aesthetically I find REmake and REmake 2 pretty similar aside from the camera angle.

Last edited:

Turo602

The King of Kings
What do you mean by this, exactly? I play tons of modern games and I don't find many of them more accessible than REmake. You're gonna have to give a good example here because aesthetically I find REmake and REmake 2 pretty similar aside from the camera angle.
What works for you doesn't apply to everyone. I can play REmake just fine too, but the classic Resident Evil games were never that friendly to newcomers because of their fixed camera angles and tank controls. There's a reason modern Resident Evil games have far outsold any of the classics.

Ikawaru

What works for you doesn't apply to everyone. I can play REmake just fine too, but the classic Resident Evil games were never that friendly to newcomers because of their fixed camera angles and tank controls. There's a reason modern Resident Evil games have far outsold any of the classics.

Funny you mention that. I recall several years ago that even the most nerdiest of the nerdy HARDCORE L33T players on the internet actually bitching about the tank controls and whatnot of Resident Evil so it's not just casuals put off apparently, it's a wide variety of people therefore cementing classic RE into "niche" category. So it's not that it's not "modern or accessible" enough, it's just...niche. I guess our niche becomes less niche merely by changing the camera angle, which is laughable to fan, but life or death to an outsider. REmake 2 did it right though so that very small change (in the eyes of a fan) can mean the difference between 100,000 sales and 10,000,000 sales. Just a funny thought.

While we're at it, why not add more character and weapon customization? Also more reactivity in the decisions you make in the game instead of a largely on the rails story. Let's make it as RPG as possible whilst retaining it's "RE-ness". Do I save the caged monkey's without knowing they'll mutate and turn into hunters or do I just leave them there to die? I just got to level 4! Do I upgrade my aiming speed or running speed? Let's just beef everything up while we're at it. PIMP MY RESIDENT EVIL.

Jen

Girly Gamer
Premium Elite
Premium
So...I think a good change would be starting off with more ammo and being better armed BUT you have to be very careful with what you spend at the beginning because you won't find much later on to use on tougher opponents like Hunters and Chimera (Hunters were nerfed in REmake to be honest though and were much more difficult to deal with in the original).
This would only work if you knew about this particular mechanic, though. Imagine playing through the game with fresh eyes, thinking you had plenty of ammo and killing everything in sight, only to get three hours into the game and start to struggle. You may even run out of ammo completely, meaning you'd have to start the whole game again. It would be infuriating, and just wouldn't work from a gameplay perspective.

Ikawaru

This would only work if you knew about this particular mechanic, though. Imagine playing through the game with fresh eyes, thinking you had plenty of ammo and killing everything in sight, only to get three hours into the game and start to struggle. You may even run out of ammo completely, meaning you'd have to start the whole game again. It would be infuriating, and just wouldn't work from a gameplay perspective.

On the flip side of this argument, I'm wondering how many "newcomers" or "casuals' rage quit or "scare quit" at the 1st part of the game because they are trying to take down Crimson Heads with a 9mm, a knife and if lucky a shotgun that most likely has no ammo because they used all 6 shells on the two dogs at the collar location. I mean to me it would be better to get a smooth feel of the game at first then simply restarting later on if I had a little too much fun and was liberal with my shots at the beginning. This issue is even more prevalent in RE2 where they game just hands you tons and tons of ammunition towards the end of the game and you're shooting on auto pilot. Some balance here would be nice.

Jen

Girly Gamer
Premium Elite
Premium
On the flip side of this argument, I'm wondering how many "newcomers" or "casuals' rage quit or "scare quit" at the 1st part of the game because they are trying to take down Crimson Heads with a 9mm, a knife and if lucky a shotgun that most likely has no ammo because they used all 6 shells on the two dogs at the collar location. I mean to me it would be better to get a smooth feel of the game at first then simply restarting later on if I had a little too much fun and was liberal with my shots at the beginning. This issue is even more prevalent in RE2 where they game just hands you tons and tons of ammunition towards the end of the game and you're shooting on auto pilot. Some balance here would be nice.
The game teaches you that enemies are bullet sponges from the get-go though, so you learn almost immediately that ammo is precious and shouldn't be wasted.

Top Bottom