• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Gaiden (Game Boy Color) Is it worth getting?

AgentZero

Through that door, is a seperate reality.
So I have been checking it out but it dosnt seem like a real shooter, it seems like more of those arcade games at an arcade. plus is there even much of a story line to it or is it more of a spin? off cause if its a spin off I'm not gonna get it.

Painted_Wraith

So I have been checking it out but it dosnt seem like a real shooter, it seems like more of those arcade games at an arcade. plus is there even much of a story line to it or is it more of a spin? off cause if its a spin off I'm not gonna get it.

"Non-canonical/spin-off Resident Evil games"

I don't mean to be patronizing, but the game is under that category.

Pancham Cutie

The Cute Pancham
Premium
It is a spin-off and I don't think you should get it. To me it's a very lazy and backwards *** game. The visuals in the cutscenes look great and it's easy to navigate throughout the game, but the game itself sucks. First problem is the puzzels, all you have to do is find a key and that's it, it's not even a puzzel and yet the developers still call it that. The second thing is that there are some unexplain gameplay choices in the game, take finding and collecting ammo as an example. So lets say that you don't have a shotgun, but you do find shotgun ammo and you want to collect, well guess what you can't take it because the game will not allow you to pick up that ammo until you have the gun, so when you do find the shotgun you have to run all the way back to where that ammo is and then you can pick it up. Another problem is that the enemy hitboxes are broken.......BROKEN. So lets say you want to get around a zombie you do manage to get around a zombie and you're far enough to where the zombie can't grab you, well you're going to get grabbed anyway because the programming for the enemy hitboxes isn't programmed correctly. You can get team-mates to help you, but what's the point of having them if they do absoulty nothing. The only thing team-mates are useful for is to quickly switch weapons and use them in case of emergency. Speaking of which the combat system in this game is the worst idea for this game. So bascially you have a bar and rectangle that moves back and forth and you can only deal damage when you hit the button at the right time on the bar, that's the problem. Why not just make it to where I can navigate the game, stop, aim, and shoot or at least a crosshair to aim with? Instead you navigate, stop, aim, and go through that bar seqeunce to shoot. Also, and this is messed up, but the better gun you have the faster that bar is going to move. Pretty much I think the game is a completely boring and completely pointless and I think that it's the second worst Resident Evil game (The first being Resident Evil Survivor 2: Code Veronica). In my opinion I dont' think you should get it.

L

Lurker
I don't know what to say to your rant, dude. It is true but surrounded in flames. Regardless, Major speaks the truth.

wolfgirl

Almost a Jibble Sammich
I think it's available to play on PlayR.com... you could take a demo there then decide.

bruno

Chief Researcher
I have tried it and it was pretty bad. It isn't canon and not much fun at all, so don't bother getting it, unless you're looking for a new gameboy game.

Spike991

The Master Of Unlocking
Well sure, if you're a big fan who loves to own all RE games. It's not very good at all. I own a copy, just the cartridge, and the gameplay is horrid. It's the only RE game other than Survivor 2(which is the only one I don't own), that I haven't complete...it's that bad.

But I'd buy it again. I got mine for 4.99 at Gamestop.

wolfgirl

Almost a Jibble Sammich
Well sure, if you're a big fan who loves to own all RE games. It's not very good at all. I own a copy, just the cartridge, and the gameplay is horrid. It's the only RE game other than Survivor 2(which is the only one I don't own), that I haven't complete...it's that bad.

But I'd buy it again. I got mine for 4.99 at Gamestop.

It IS terrible, but it's so terrible that it's kind of endearing. I got my cart off eBay, it's quite rare now!!

Spike991

The Master Of Unlocking
It IS terrible, but it's so terrible that it's kind of endearing. I got my cart off eBay, it's quite rare now!!
I don't have the case though...the box or whatever. I wish I had that stuff. I'm sure I can find one for a reasonable price, it just hasn't been a priority, ever.

hangar40

Actually I have wanted to buy it for a long time but where I live there's no place to do it. The only alternative I have is to order it abroad and that's difficult for me.
I know it's not a good game and it's not part of the main story but still, I'm a collector of the saga and this game is one I don't have.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Actually I have wanted to buy it for a long time but where I live there's no place to do it. The only alternative I have is to order it abroad and that's difficult for me.
I know it's not a good game and it's not part of the main story but still, I'm a collector of the saga and this game is one I don't have.
Agree 100%...

Mr.Burton

REN's #1 Barry fan
Most hate it, a super duper small percent love it and then you have the percent that had to get it just because it had the name "Resident Evil" on it... thats me.

And for the record.. I didnt like it. I mean come on, Barry is the main character and it had to be a crappy game like this.. thats like smacking Barry in the face...

AgentZero

Through that door, is a seperate reality.
Yeah I played a demo. and I TRIED to watch a walkthrough. and there are very few games that are so bad I cant whatch a walkthrough.

Top Bottom