• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Is Chris gay?

Turo602

The King of Kings
As much as I like a bit more grounded writing, I think there’s a certain charm to cheesy dialogue in some games like Resident Evil. I mean, this is not ”The Last of Us” after all. The Jill sandwich joke was actually referenced in Revelations 2 when Claire tells Moira ”I was almost a Claire sandwich”.
What I like about Revelations 2's use of the sandwich line is that as much as it was a reference to an infamous piece of dialogue, it also retroactively kinda makes the line far more believable as it fleshes Barry out more by making dad jokes part of his character with Moira being all embarrassed by it.

Ikawaru

Yeah I have to say, that line did make me retroactively enlightened when I heard it first, and really helped me enjoy the overall narrative and dialogue exchanges in Revelations 2 and that part of the game still does hold up pretty well. Too bad the gameplay does not, and feels like a modern version of Dead Aim: intriguing characters and story but gameplay that ages like vinegar.

RedfieldFanboi

The note in REmake2 is code - I think it was in an interview with the scenario writers that they confirmed it, but even without it's so "not Chris" in the note that it should come across as very strange. It doesn't confirm Chris's taste in women though, only that he wrote what he hoped the right people would read, while others would dismiss.

And as for Rev2 - I love the way the game references several lines from the OG RE1 (Jill Sandwich, I have THIS, etc) as it stabilizes that Rev2 is in the same canon as the OG game and not REmake. Neither of those lines are in REmake. I thought that was a nice touch, as someone who prefers the OG game to REmake (if only we'd get a remaster for modern consoles).

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
And as for Rev2 - I love the way the game references several lines from the OG RE1 (Jill Sandwich, I have THIS, etc) as it stabilizes that Rev2 is in the same canon as the OG game and not REmake. Neither of those lines are in REmake. I thought that was a nice touch, as someone who prefers the OG game to REmake (if only we'd get a remaster for modern consoles).
Well, according to Capcom however both OG1 and REmake are canon. Even so there is technically no ending to RE1 that is "canon" since the best ending for both Jill and Chris has either Barry or Rebecca left for dead. Yet both Barry and Rebecca are alive in later installments, so....

Trying to make sense of Resident Evil's canon is just a troublesome mess anyway, so it's best not to think of it.

Ikawaru

Trying to make sense of Resident Evil's canon is just a troublesome mess anyway, so it's best not to think of it.

It didn't have to be, but RE4 screwed everything up and that's when they took the story into an irrational very-crappy-in-hindsight direction. RE4 was the first RE conceived after 9/11 so I'm sure that played no small part in their decisions.

SpaceOwlHoot

Didn't a Capcom exec say in an interview "It's ALL canon"? :)

Claire in Rev 2 (i think) also has a throwback line to Code Veronica...she says how guns are more reliable than people which is what Steve said.

Jonipoon

Claire in Rev 2 (i think) also has a throwback line to Code Veronica...she says how guns are more reliable than people which is what Steve said.
Yet another reason to love Revelations 2. It's packed with so many catchy references to previous installments. The people working on that game knew their RE history well and definitely wanted to make a game for the fans.

Ikawaru

Yet another reason to love Revelations 2. It's packed with so many catchy references to previous installments. The people working on that game knew their RE history well and definitely wanted to make a game for the fans.

Oh I agree, I love the dialogue and the exchanges between Moira and Claire and Barry and Natalie, Alex Wesker was a nice touch, but after REmake 2 the gameplay just doesn't hold up and plays like a generic-grade shooter and even the BP upgrades felt lukewarm. Stuff like that matters, even in hindsight, because to me, the gameplay from RE1 all the way to RE0 (1996-2002 era) actually holds up but the "action era" (2005-2019) does not, even if some of those games have good stories, which they certainly do.

Jonipoon

Well I slightly disagree on that. While I have my beef with the action era games that started with RE4, the gameplay wasn't the problem. RE4's gameplay for example still holds up very well and is very enjoyable to play even to this day. I can't deny that it's a well-crafted game even though I don't like the direction it took.

Oh and I love this song, one of my absolute favorite themes from the entire series:

Top Bottom