• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 6 I want to get into Resident Evil 6!

harrry95

I have never played a resident evil game before. I am a massive noob but this latest addition to the franchise has me intrigued.

- Do you need to have played previous RE games (e.g. RE 5) to understand the plot/enjoy RE6?

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
Since the game is not out yet, no one can know... But considering how many characters from previous games appear in RE6, and how the relationshipis between those characters are important for the story, it would certainly be helpful to at least know the other games, if you haven't played them yourself.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
I have never played a resident evil game before. I am a massive noob but this latest addition to the franchise has me intrigued.

- Do you need to have played previous RE games (e.g. RE 5) to understand the plot/enjoy RE6?
I would play the others...And if NOTHING else read the RE Wiki about them...But RE does have a MASSIVE but VERY COMPELLING story to it...So, if I were you, I would REALLY recommend them...In this order...

Resident Evil 0
Resident Evil Remake aka REmake
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 3: Nemesis
Resident Evil CODE: Veronica X
Resident Evil 4
Resident Evil 5.

But...You REALLY don't have to play 0 through CVX if you just play:
Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles
Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles

After those just play RE4 and 5 and you'll be as up to speed as you really need to be on the series...The Chronicles games are VERY easy, and VERY quick, but give you a worthwhile synopsis of the series, and ARE cannon...So, that's how I would do it...Hope this was helpful...Any more questions, just ask...

Maestro

Sniper Wolf
Premium
(...)
Resident Evil 0
Resident Evil Remake aka REmake
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 3: Nemesis
Resident Evil CODE: Veronica X
Resident Evil 4
Resident Evil 5.

But...You REALLY don't have to play 0 through CVX if you just play:
Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles
Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles(...)

Yep, that's right. Between RE2 and RE3 we can put also both parts of RE: Outbreak (they are also cannon games), but it's not necessary ;)

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Yep, that's right. Between RE2 and RE3 we can put also both parts of RE: Outbreak (they are also cannon games), but it's not necessary ;)
I was thinking about that...And by that logic you can also put RE Dead Aim...But let's start him off slow and only do main games lol...

Albert

Tʜᴇ Gᴏᴅ
Premium

You dont really have to play the previous games to understand the things happening in RE6. You will be able to enjoy the game completely even without knowing the history but once you are done with 6 and it leaves you wanting more and finding out how everything got so far you can go and check out the previous titles. Hope that helps.

zeroskaterz92

I was thinking about that...And by that logic you can also put RE Dead Aim...But let's start him off slow and only do main games lol...
don't forget RE Survivor though, since Ark Thompson will return in the RE Damnation movie which ties to RE6.
well, i guess that he don't really need to play the previous games, he just need to watch RE Damnation which will be release soon. after finish playing RE6, it's up to him whether he wanted to play the previous games or not.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
I believe it has already been stated that the guy from Damnation is not Ark Thompson, but a completely new guy called Buddy or something funny like that.

Albert

Tʜᴇ Gᴏᴅ
Premium
Ohh and btw you might want to pick up one of these, its made for newcomers to the series basically.

residentevil6anthologyps3packshot-1024x823.jpg

residentevil6archivespackshotxbox360-1024x792.jpg

JMG29

To Let The World Be
1.) If you get the Anthology (which is the cheaper option), then spend an extra $20 on Code: Veronica X HD. It'll take you a while before you can play RE6 though. :)
2.) In RE2, play as Clarie first (Disk 2), then Leon (Disk 1.)
3.) Neither scenarios of RE1 are 100% canon, because some characters are exclusive to each scenario. Weirdly, the Umbrella Chronicles retelling of RE1 is more canon than the original game...

Or just play RE5 and read the "History of Resident Evil" file. Or play none of the games and watch all the cutscenes on YouTube.

harrry95

The only consoles that I have are the xbox 360 and pc. The chronicles sound great but aren't they for the wii? I could always watch them on youtube. I realise it would take me a LONG time to be completely immersed the way you guys. The biggest problem is I only got into gaming in 2010, long after all of the legendary early titles. I will continue researching the series thoroughly

JMG29

To Let The World Be
This guy edited all of the games into movies.

Look for the next parts in the "Suggested Videos" box.

RE0
RE1
He didn't make an RE2 movie though. Here's all the cutscenes for the RE2 part of Darkside Chronicles.
Part 1 Part 2
RE3
Code: Veronica
The Umbrella's End chapter of Umbrella Chronicles

I've reached the media limit so...
RE4
RE5

I hope this helps.

Reactions: Hel

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
The only consoles that I have are the xbox 360 and pc. The chronicles sound great but aren't they for the wii?

For Wii and PS3, yes. With a PC and a 360, you can at least play everything from 1 to 6 including Code Veronica, but not Revelations, Zero and the Remake of the first game (which is, in my opinion, not only better than the original, but more likely to work on a GameCube or even an emulator than the original is on a modern PC). If you want to play RE4 and 5, make sure to get them for the Xbox because 4 is terrible to play on PCs and for 5 there are several additional modes that aren't available to the PC version. That's the problem with Capcom: They make loads of wonderful games, but they're so much into their exclusivity sh!t that it's simply impossible to even play the main series without purchasing half of the consoles that exist.

But if you don't want to play them all anyway, it's still a good idea to watch those movie summaries.

Top Bottom