• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

How would you receive a fan-made RE 2D game?

CrashOkami

The Survivor
As some of you might know, I'll be soon working on a 2D game. I'm currently researching which engine to use (will be my first game), one that will not require a mad lot of input since I've not studied game design, and I might "drown" in that pool of missing knowledge. I'm a programmer, though, and I can manage some advanced programming, so I don't want a hand-holder engine.

Anyway, I've weighed in on the option of making a Resident Evil game. As of now, that's only an idea, and I've not worked on anything about it. I'm thinking it should be a top-down, or isometric title. An action-shooter sidescroller wouldn't play that well as a Resident Evil, since you would need to jump, the zombies would never scare you since you'll always see them coming, etc.

Soon, my website about this will be up, and I'll get a lot more opinions on which IP to use (except if I develop my own IP), but till then, what does the RE community think about it? What would you like to see in such a RE game? Would anyone be willing to help about it, even?

Of course, this site and everyone that participated in the creation of the game will be credited for their work!

Steve

Fearfully and wonderfully made
Admin
It all sounds really very exciting! If you do decide to go ahead and develop a Resident Evil-themed -- or Resident Evil-inspired -- game, then I'd be more than happy to help promote the project as best I can.

As a means or helping paint a picture for my tragically unimaginative mind, would you say that your goal is to develop something along the same lines as the 2D indie 'demake' of Silent Hill 2, Soundless Mountain II? Would you be tackling the arty side of development yourself?

I will most definitely be keeping a close eye on your progress!

CrashOkami

The Survivor
That one looks like a good game, I must admit! Yes, I imagine something like that, although it would be completely relevant to Resident Evil, but fictional, thus, non-canon. It may also be placed during events the fans want to know about, so fanfic writers will find their paradise here.

It will definitely be indie, low-budget, but that doesn't mean it will be trash. I'll put a lot of work and thought into the mechanics, and try to make it as good as possible! I'll surely work on some sprites, possibly environments too, but I can't say my hand is good at drawing, so I'll most likely recruit a couple of friends of mine who can draw 100x better than I can. But I'd much more like some RE fans to have their place instead, because they know what RE is and can definitely work better on anything related to it.

What I will do? Umm... buy the engine, program, bug-hunt, promote, help at writing the story, supervising the team to make sure everything we do is solid and can piece with each other's work... It will take a few months, that's sure, but I hope I can release some playable beta versions to the public, to help me squish the bugs as well!

Storyofmylife

The watchful protector.
That one looks like a good game, I must admit! Yes, I imagine something like that, although it would be completely relevant to Resident Evil, but fictional, thus, non-canon. It may also be placed during events the fans want to know about, so fanfic writers will find their paradise here.

It will definitely be indie, low-budget, but that doesn't mean it will be trash. I'll put a lot of work and thought into the mechanics, and try to make it as good as possible! I'll surely work on some sprites, possibly environments too, but I can't say my hand is good at drawing, so I'll most likely recruit a couple of friends of mine who can draw 100x better than I can. But I'd much more like some RE fans to have their place instead, because they know what RE is and can definitely work better on anything related to it.

What I will do? Umm... buy the engine, program, bug-hunt, promote, help at writing the story, supervising the team to make sure everything we do is solid and can piece with each other's work... It will take a few months, that's sure, but I hope I can release some playable beta versions to the public, to help me squish the bugs as well!

If you need help with the storyline let me know. I love writing! I'm incredibly excited for you and for the rest of us to see what comes of this game!

TYLERDM94

The White Wolf
I always thought it would have been cool to explain more about what happened to carlos and barry i dont believe they explained what happend very well and would have made an interesting story

CrashOkami

The Survivor
If you need help with the storyline let me know. I love writing! I'm incredibly excited for you and for the rest of us to see what comes of this game!
I will definitely need help with it, because English ain't my first language and I'm not thaaat rich vocabulary-wise, but primarily, details about events and RE canon surely escape me. Once the site is launched, I'll definitely have you in mind! :D

CrashOkami

The Survivor
I always thought it would have been cool to explain more about what happened to carlos and barry i dont believe they explained what happend very well and would have made an interesting story
I kind of like Barry, Carlos not so much, but if we can come up with something interesting the characters won't be a problem!

Storyofmylife

The watchful protector.
You should definitely put Barry, Rebecca, and Claire back in it, maybe even as side characters, that would make ALOT of fans happy. Trust me. :D

CrashOkami

The Survivor
Well, if I see that development goes smoothly and as planned, for sure! But I wouldn't want them to remember the game as a piece of crap that used them for fame ;) I'll probably start pre-development within May, and the site will launch around that time, too!

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Sounds great my friend...2D sidescrollng games are the best...I, like so many others, would love to help write for it...But only if you're cool with that...A the storyline wouldn't be too hard to work out...Anyway, I also have a friend who does video game design, so if you have questions, perhaps I can talk to him...Anyway, I'm here for ya pal..Sounds great...

CrashOkami

The Survivor
Thanks for the support :) Absolutely cool with that, as it seems, I mean with all this support from you people, it will definitely be a Resident Evil project officially! After I'm done with the site's development, I'll launch it and get everyone in, and then I'll contact Capcom to inform them about it so we don't have any copyright problems. I'll also seek a trademark about it, if that's possible, but I'll first consult with a lawyer to see my options. That's great :)

CrashOkami

The Survivor
Bumpy bumpy, no need for a new thread. I hope everyone checks this. The site is online, but will be functional on Monday-Tuesday. Right now, only the static elements work, and a couple of dynamic ones. One of these days, I'll implement databases, create forums etc, and the site will be ready. As it is, it can be accessed but I just don't recommend it, you won't like it in this pre-beta form.

Anyway, I want a favor from you all. I'm a bit too busy to create a graphic for REN's advertisement, so that's what I'm asking from you. I need it 430px high and 28px wide, I'm mostly operating with ad-bars for now, and one will be reserved for you. I also have an empty one at 880px high and 28 wide, but it's a bit lower in the page than the other one. If the creator, or even someone else, has enough time, I'd also love it if you created a "Starblind X REN project" banner of the same dimensions. This one will be about our joint RE game project, and I'll create a page about it probably tomorrow.

Thank you everyone!

NEMESIS_1765

well to be honest if carlos and barry are in it its going to be around the same time aas number three as thats when they leave the story so jill would be in it wouldnt she ?

CrashOkami

The Survivor
Yes, she could appear, as well as Nemesis, but I think Raccoon City has been overused, even if I love it. We would need to do something involving zombies, T-virus, but set someplace else. A new island (like Code: Veronica), or an undercover laboratory, like in the original.

CrashOkami

The Survivor
UPDATE:

Site development going smoothly, but the update was for another reason; I've decided to explore some 3D engines, and see if we can pull off a decent "RE4 Fog Version", or something entirely original. It all depends on how well will I grasp the engine's ways, and since the engines look nice and are 3D, we will definitely need more time and better drawings, since full 3D models and environments are utterly different to 2D ones. Will keep everyone updated!

AgentZero

Through that door, is a seperate reality.
Please please please let me help with the story line If its all right I can hook up with story of my life and we could put something awesome together
Oh and will there be any voice acting I can buy a mic

CrashOkami

The Survivor
Sure Agent, not like we've started anything, so everyone's welcome! :) If it's 3D, there will definitely be voice acting, at least during cutscenes.

Storyofmylife

The watchful protector.
Sure Agent, not like we've started anything, so everyone's welcome! :) If it's 3D, there will definitely be voice acting, at least during cutscenes.

Well, I didn't major in liberal arts for nothing. I can be a voice actor if you'd like. I've done it before for local commercials and I can memorize a script in less than a week. If it's a short script it will take less than a day. :) I'm also working on ideas for the storyline with Agent Zero. I'd love to share once we have a good solid idea.

Top Bottom