• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 2 (1998) How not to play RE2 for the first time

Matt S

RE noob
Hey all - new member, hope you all are doing well.

So after playing RE-make HD and RE1 PSONE (on my ps2 slim), I popped in my copy of RE2 that I had only recently aquired. Going in as cold as cold can get. Never played it. No idea about the story, etc.

So, pop in Disk 1 and started playing Leon. Friends on another unrelated board responded with a 'you started with DISK 1?!?!?!?!?!' They then explained that disk 2 with Claire is the way to go. So, after a couple hours, I restarted.

Got to the end of disk 2, had some difficulty with the final boss battle. then disk 2 died. Started with disk 1 and go through it, and after finally getting disk 2 to work again, my memory card decided to freak out and I lost all my progress (again). Most likely disk 2 has some issues.

So man, what a way to start off and play RE2 for days with nada to show for it.

Good game, though. My new copy should be here Sat

Hey, sorry to hear your problems with the disk not working and your memory card failure. That's cool your new to Resident Evil and seemed excited about it so far, enjoy it bro, you can only play a game for the first time once and be in wonder in awe as to whats next.

I aint gonna spoil anything here outta respect, but what I am gonna say so you can fully enjoy the game, is that it actually has 4 different scenarios. Leon A, Claire B, Claire A, Leon B.

It doesn't neccesarily matter which one you play first, but playing an A scenario on one character, unlocks the other characters B scenario, eventually with 4 alternate different playthroughs. That's all im gonna say, when I play, I go Disk 1 first, Leon A, then Claire B. Then start a new game with Claire A, then go Leon B. Its super fun. When the game came out so many years ago, I remember just playing Leon A, then Claire B, thinking Ive beaten the game completely, not knowing to start a new game with Claire from the beginning. Alright, enjoy man!

Matt S

RE noob
Thanks, John! I appreciate the info. Yeah, even though I have zero saves at the moment, I played Claire on A and Leon on B (for about an hour), and leon on A. I see what you mean with the 4. two scenarios per character.

Yeah, do not know what my problem was before. Guess I couldn't accept the zombies aspect, but shows like Walking Dead have helped change my tune.

Planning on playing them in order. Played RE: DC until my new RE2 set arrives.

Thanks again!

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
Damn... it really sucks that RE2 isn't digitally available for PC. With all the crap on Steam you'd think Capcom wouldn't mind putting in one of the best received classic there.

Matt S

RE noob
Damn... it really sucks that RE2 isn't digitally available for PC. With all the crap on Steam you'd think Capcom wouldn't mind putting in one of the best received classic there.

Yeah, that would be very nice. Well, finally beat RE2. Good game. Already on RE3, and back at the police station. Like I never left.

Up next: RE: Survivor

Top Bottom