• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 7 Help for Speedrun and Madhouse

czeuch

Hi! So I want to run a Madhouse after I finish my Normal run.
However I could see that the Circular Saw should greatly help on Madhouse.
In that case, I'll need a speedrun first.

My questions:

- I have a guide and the guy finished in 2h46. So I assume that there is a bit of extra time. Is this true or should I really focus on the shortest time possible? For instance, I didn't see the guy in the guide going back to the storage room to get the grenade launcher. I'd like to get it.

- After the speedrun, I'll get the Circular Saw, XRay Glasses and the Secrets of Defense from my Normal run. I won't have the Essense of Defense as I didn't shoot all Mr.Everywheres. Is this a problem? Not having the Essence. The Circular Saw + Secrets of Defense should suffice for the Madhouse run?

- Regarding the Albert 01R and Enhanced Ammo. I read that you should use Strong Chem Fluid + Gunpowder to create that kind of ammo. However I've created them on Normal that way: normal Handgun Ammo + Gunpowder. Both work the same way?

I believe that's it.

Thanks!

Rain611

You can't kill me.
Regarding the ammo, either concoction works the same way, it doesn't matter how you make the enhanced ammo. That being said, I prefer to save the strong chem fluid to make ammo (flame rounds, neuro rounds etc).

There is some extra time to do the speed run. It isn't impossible by any means as I did it successfully on my first go. Some things I would stress- pick your battles wisely. If you can dodge an enemy rather than fight them, do so. Make sure you know the environments well so that you don't lose time getting lost. Also, I would only get items that are absolutely essential. I often bypass the first shotgun and skip directly to the broken shotgun as it is stronger and there is a repair kit right outside the house. As for the boss fights, you can use the car in the first fight with Jack and the chainsaw in the second fight, so you shouldn't even need to worry about ammo.

Regarding the defense items, I would highly recommend having them for the Madhouse run, because it makes it to where a successful block results in zero damage which will help you phenomenally in the final fight against Jack. And with the saw, I completely the second Jack fight, the Marguerite fight and the final fight against Jack just using the defense essences and the saw, so... yea. You need it basically. Oh, and it's a lifesaver against the crawling molded (the bane of my Madhouse existence).

As for benchmarks, an hour and a half into the game I had already completed the Marguerite boss fight and my speed run was a lot slower than the one you mentioned (I think I finished it right around 3 hours). That being said though, I did die once during the molded swarm near the end. If you can make it to the ship with at least a half hour to spare, you should be home free. And as for the ship, I cannot stress enough about knowing exactly where you are going, especially when you need the fuse and the cable to fix the elevator. And definitely skip the fat molded fight.

All in all, as long as you know where you're going, what you're going for and don't die, you should be able to complete your speed run with no issues at all. Be fast but be smart. Don't waste time going back and forth, make each move count. You'll be fine :).

If you have any other questions I would be happy to answer them :). As well as with Madhouse, as I had to do it twice (the second time was to get all of the coins). Good luck!

czeuch

Thanks dude! I'm at the old tape from Mia, at the ship. Something around 2h15 I guess. I believe I should be fine. I'm following a guide.

After that, off to Madhouse without the Essence of Defense. Not in the mood for 4 runs. I would need even more than 4 runs to get Platinum so I'll let it go. I want to do Madhouse for the challenge (not for the trophy).

Rain611

You can't kill me.
No problem. And for me, I got all of the Mr. Everywheres on my first run (I always do easy runs first so I can get a feel for the controls, enemies, etc). On the second run, normal, I got all of the coins and completed the speed run as well as the first aid and item box trophies. My third run was Madhouse the first time and I missed ONE coin which made me sad :(. And I swear Madhouse was harder the second time (maybe because I had infinite ammo, not sure. I read somewhere that having a lot of med items in the inventory makes it harder as well) but I got through it. A tip for Madhouse that I didn't mention the first time- Neuro rounds are your friends, especially when encountering the fat molded enemies. Fun fact- if you don't pick up the grenade launcher in the trailer it will automatically teleport to the save room that you get to immediately after leaving the ship.

At one point near the end of Madhouse where you get swarmed and make it to the last room which, in earlier ones only had 1 fat molded but in madhouse has 2, I managed a decent strategy I think, as I didn't want to waste a lot of ammo or health items. In madhouse there are 3 trip wire bombs lining the ladder leading to the safe area. A video walkthrough I'd watched claimed an easy way to do this fight but it was a lot harder for me than my way: I shot the bombs that I could see from the cave leading to the room and then ran around the fat molded to get the third one. After that, if you shoot a Neuro round between the 2 fat molded you can climb up the ladder having used almost no ammo and, if you're lucky, no first aid items.

Top Bottom