• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Haunted Hot Spots

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Ya know, for folks who are into horror video games, I don't ever really see us all talk about this on here? Maybe it's because we're too practical to believe in spooky specters, or perhaps because it's not something you wanna think about in a dark bedroom at 2 am with only a laptop for light, but either way, I'm curious! Do you guys have an local haunted spots that your area is known for? Or maybe some sort of destination you'd like to travel to for that kind of thing? I'm sure we can get a good mix of stories considering we all live in wildly different places!

Rain611

You can't kill me.
Ya know, for folks who are into horror video games, I don't ever really see us all talk about this on here? Maybe it's because we're too practical to believe in spooky specters, or perhaps because it's not something you wanna think about in a dark bedroom at 2 am with only a laptop for light, but either way, I'm curious! Do you guys have an local haunted spots that your area is known for? Or maybe some sort of destination you'd like to travel to for that kind of thing? I'm sure we can get a good mix of stories considering we all live in wildly different places!

There are a couple places I would want to see. The Stanley Hotel, Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum, Moon River Brewery and Old Alton Bridge to name a few.

Here is a link to some of the most haunted places in Oklahoma. I live near a couple of these places and have never been. Might have to look into it.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
There are a couple places I would want to see. The Stanley Hotel, Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum, Moon River Brewery and Old Alton Bridge to name a few.

Here is a link to some of the most haunted places in Oklahoma. I live near a couple of these places and have never been. Might have to look into it.
That was a dope list. I actually used to live in Pryor, so I wonder how many of those I was close to...I wish I'd known about the Tulsa stuff before I moved!

Turo602

The King of Kings
I'm from Chicago and there aren't really many haunted areas to explore, but one I've seen come up a lot was Bachelor's Grove Cemetery. It's supposed to be the most haunted cemetery in America. It's a long abandoned cemetery out in the middle of the woods that's been heavily vandalized by teenagers. It's known for quite a lot of different sightings, from a ghost lady, to a ghost dog, to even a ghost car and ghost house. Apparently it's common to find chicken heads or chicken beaks lying around the trail to the cemetery as people go there to do witchcraft or some sh*t.

I've been there 3 times. First time, it was foggy as hell and looked like Silent Hill which was really cool, but we didn't go far due to how high the snow was in the woods at the time and we weren't really prepared to traverse such high snow. The second time, the woods were completely clear and we made it to the actual cemetery this time but didn't really go further than that. It was quite sad seeing all the tombstones vandalized but it was quite boring. The third time, we explored much further into the woods and I started to experience a string of bad luck afterwards for about a month, mostly in terms of sickness and medical problems. It just felt like one thing after another, so I did some research and found some other people with similar stories of bad luck after visiting the cemetery, though theirs was more financial and just general life stuff, so I didn't put much stock in it.

I didn't see anything and we went during the day because the others were too afraid to go at night, which was lame as hell. But you can also get ticketed for parking at night which was a huge drawback as well. It really wasn't all that interesting. It's fun at first when you really want to believe in ghosts because as a generally curious person of the unexplained, a horror fan, and someone who grew up hearing tons of ghost stories from relatives, the idea of the paranormal fascinates me incredibly.

But I feel like I've since outgrown it. I want to believe my relatives because they're my family, but the truth is, I don't know them that well and people are very superstitious and well, liars. It just seems very convenient that evidence or accounts of these things can never be verified and is easy to fake. Then there's the whole "only certain people can see ghosts," which basically means you just have to take whoever's word for it, and that's not good enough for me. I need to experience something for myself to ever believe this stuff is a possibility.

Last edited:

Rain611

You can't kill me.
I don't blame you Turo. I wouldn't believe in ghosts either if I hadn't seen one. I saw a full body apparition when I was in my late teens. I have no idea who the ghost was but it scared the crap out of me and either I accept that there is something to the supernatural thing or accept that I was hallucinating, but I'm a realist, and I've never had a visual hallucination. On the other hand, it's been thrown around that the women in my family are sensitive to ghosts and whatnot.

Not trying to convince anyone as I was once one of those people that didn't believe in ghosts. I just happened to see one and I know I'm not psychotic lol.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
I'm from Chicago and there aren't really many haunted areas to explore, but one I've seen come up a lot was Bachelor's Grove Cemetery. It's supposed to be the most haunted cemetery in America. It's a long abandoned cemetery out in the middle of the woods that's been heavily vandalized by teenagers. It's known for quite a lot of different sightings, from a ghost lady, to a ghost dog, to even a ghost car and ghost house. Apparently it's common to find chicken heads or chicken beaks lying around the trail to the cemetery as people go there to do witchcraft or some sh*t.

I've been there 3 times. First time, it was foggy as hell and looked like Silent Hill which was really cool, but we didn't go far due to how high the snow was in the woods at the time and we weren't really prepared to traverse such high snow. The second time, the woods were completely clear and we made it to the actual cemetery this time but didn't really go further than that. It was quite sad seeing all the tombstones vandalized but it was quite boring. The third time, we explored much further into the woods and I started to experience a string of bad luck afterwards for about a month, mostly in terms of sickness and medical problems. It just felt like one thing after another, so I did some research and found some other people with similar stories of bad luck after visiting the cemetery, though theirs was more financial and just general life stuff, so I didn't put much stock in it.

I didn't see anything and we went during the day because the others were too afraid to go at night, which was lame as hell. But you can also get ticketed for parking at night which was a huge drawback as well. It really wasn't all that interesting. It's fun at first when you really want to believe in ghosts because as a generally curious person of the unexplained, a horror fan, and someone who grew up hearing tons of ghost stories from relatives, the idea of the paranormal fascinates me incredibly.

But I feel like I've since outgrown it. I want to believe my relatives because they're my family, but the truth is, I don't know them that well and people are very superstitious and well, liars. It just seems very convenient that evidence or accounts of these things can never be verified and is easy to fake. Then there's the whole "only certain people can see ghosts," which basically means you just have to take whoever's word for it, and that's not good enough for me. I need to experience something for myself to ever believe this stuff is a possibility.
Sounds like a cool place to visit, but also, I agree with a lot of what you said. I wanna believe like Mulder, but I'm more of a Skully. Usually the stuff that "Must be ghosts," is relatively easily explained. That said...Man Chicago is probably haunted as F*CK if ghosts are real lol. Big city like that with all that history? I'd imagine somethings gotta be lingering around. Still the bad luck stuff and getting sick? I lean to side of coincidence, but sure would be something if it wasn't.

Jen

Girly Gamer
Premium Elite
Premium
I haven't ever really been to any haunted locations, though my sister has. She tells me all the time about things that go on when she goes ghost hunting and whenever she and her friends conduct seances in different locations, with different people running it each time as they go to organised events, child ghosts always seem to be drawn to her.

However, my family have all thought for a long time that our house is haunted. There are a few things that have happened which are unexplained. Nothing huge, just the usual things going missing and shadows appearing with apparently nothing to cast them (the latter of which also happened to my neighbour when she came to feed our fish when we were away - she said she'd never step foot in our house again after that). We also hear knockings and noises that sound like footsteps upstairs, when nobody is upstairs. All of this is pretty standard for our house.

There's only really one key event that stands out in my mind. I remember once when I was seventeen, we were redecorating my mother's bedroom and I needed a form signing by my neighbour for my drivers licence. Me and my mum left the house and went to see the neighbour, leaving my sister to carry on decorating.

Now, in my mother's bedroom, there's this old alarm clock that belonged to my great-grandma. It's one of those old-school ones that rings like a school bell and you have to keep winding it up. We never keep it wound up because it ticks way too loudly and keeps you up at night, but my mum likes to keep it as an ornament, but it's never used. Anyway, when we got back, my sister asked me if I'd wound the clock up as a joke while we were out. I said definitely not me, and my mum said the same. She said she'd had the crap scared out of her because the alarm had set off ringing. We looked at the clock and the alarm time wasn't set anywhere near the time it was. Anyway, my mum then told us that it was five years to the day that my great-grandma had passed away. Pretty creepy stuff.

Whether or not there is anything paranormal going on or we're just reading into stuff way too much, I don't know. But there's been lots of small instances between the family where things have happened that haven't seemed quite normal. I myself felt like I used to see children poking their heads down from our loft when I was a child, but I do admit that that could have been the over-active imagination of childhood at play. I would like to believe in this sort of stuff, because I find it interesting and reassuring but... I just don't know if I can without some form of concrete proof.

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
I'm originally from a small island off the west coast of Sweden. In the middle of the island lies an old farmyard with a petite manor built in the 16h century, which remains a popular tourist destination to this day. One reason why its famous is because of one of its previous owners, a wealthy woman called Margareta Huitfeldt whom lived there between 1635-1683. She was notorious for her fierce temper and vicious nature, how she tricked farmers into selling off their land, stole cattle and even beat up her servants if they didn't obey her. Because of this, there were lots of stories spread around about her which are possibly pure fantasies, but they are nevertheless quite spooky.

One such story is about one servant in particular, whom Margareta got so angry at that she forced him into a large tiled stove and then walled him in with bricks - ultimately leading to his starvation. Even though no such evidence has been found within the manor, visitors throughout the years have claimed to have heard the servant's obscure screams from within the walls, begging to come out.

Another famous story is about a local student whom had an affair with a young noble woman nearby, and because of this Margareta lured him into the nearby forest and executed him by decapitation after which she buried his body. Charming right?

My absolute favorite is how she apparently hanged a priest from a tree in her own garden. The priest had complained about her vicious treatment and attitude towards people, and for that she decided to hang him. Visitors today have therefore claimed to have seen either the contour or shadow of a hanged snare in one of the trees outside during evenings.

I've been there many times myself during summers, since they have a really nice café which freshly baked bread. I don't really believe that much in these stories though even though I find them fascinating.

20161122_sundsby001.jpg

1024px-Sundsby_S%C3%A4teri%2C_huvudbyggnad_och_sidobyggnader.jpg

Last edited:

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
What the hell do you mean you're from a small island off the coast of Sweden? Are you the main character in a JRPG? And where do you live now? Wtf. I always assume I am speaking to Americans/Canadians/British folks when their English is so perfect. Guess that shows me!

On topic, I proposed to my fiance in front of a "haunted" hot spot - The Mohonk Mountain House. The place is gorgeous. But it's most famous factoid is that it inspired Stephen King to write "The Shining". It didn't feel haunted to me while I was there, but I have never slept over. haha

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
What the hell do you mean you're from a small island off the coast of Sweden? Are you the main character in a JRPG? And where do you live now? Wtf. I always assume I am speaking to Americans/Canadians/British folks when their English is so perfect. Guess that shows me!

On topic, I proposed to my fiance in front of a "haunted" hot spot - The Mohonk Mountain House. The place is gorgeous. But it's most famous factoid is that it inspired Stephen King to write "The Shining". It didn't feel haunted to me while I was there, but I have never slept over. haha
Congrats! That's a super cool way/place to propose!

I'm originally from a small island off the west coast of Sweden. In the middle of the island lies an old farmyard with a petite manor built in the 16h century, which remains a popular tourist destination to this day. One reason why its famous is because of one of its previous owners, a wealthy woman called Margareta Huitfeldt whom lived there between 1635-1683. She was notorious for her fierce temper and vicious nature, how she tricked farmers into selling off their land, stole cattle and even beat up her servants if they didn't obey her. Because of this, there were lots of stories spread around about her which are possibly pure fantasies, but they are nevertheless quite spooky.

One such story is about one servant in particular, whom Margareta got so angry at that she forced him into a large tiled stove and then walled him in with bricks - ultimately leading to his starvation. Even though no such evidence has been found within the manor, visitors throughout the years have claimed to have heard the servant's obscure screams from within the walls, begging to come out.

Another famous story is about a local student whom had an affair with a young noble woman nearby, and because of this Margareta lured him into the nearby forest and executed him by decapitation after which she buried his body. Charming right?

My absolute favorite is how she apparently hanged a priest from a tree in her own garden. The priest had complained about her vicious treatment and attitude towards people, and for that she decided to hang him. Visitors today have therefore claimed to have seen either the contour or shadow of a hanged snare in one of the trees outside during evenings.

I've been there many times myself during summers, since they have a really nice café which freshly baked bread. I don't really believe that much in these stories though even though I find them fascinating.
I love how Scooby-Doo this place looks and tale is. Like, it's probably not true at all in terms of the spirits. But god damn does it hit all those classic "Haunted House Story Telling' vibes. And with a look to go with it too. Awesome.

I haven't ever really been to any haunted locations, though my sister has. She tells me all the time about things that go on when she goes ghost hunting and whenever she and her friends conduct seances in different locations, with different people running it each time as they go to organised events, child ghosts always seem to be drawn to her.

However, my family have all thought for a long time that our house is haunted. There are a few things that have happened which are unexplained. Nothing huge, just the usual things going missing and shadows appearing with apparently nothing to cast them (the latter of which also happened to my neighbour when she came to feed our fish when we were away - she said she'd never step foot in our house again after that). We also hear knockings and noises that sound like footsteps upstairs, when nobody is upstairs. All of this is pretty standard for our house.

There's only really one key event that stands out in my mind. I remember once when I was seventeen, we were redecorating my mother's bedroom and I needed a form signing by my neighbour for my drivers licence. Me and my mum left the house and went to see the neighbour, leaving my sister to carry on decorating.

Now, in my mother's bedroom, there's this old alarm clock that belonged to my great-grandma. It's one of those old-school ones that rings like a school bell and you have to keep winding it up. We never keep it wound up because it ticks way too loudly and keeps you up at night, but my mum likes to keep it as an ornament, but it's never used. Anyway, when we got back, my sister asked me if I'd wound the clock up as a joke while we were out. I said definitely not me, and my mum said the same. She said she'd had the crap scared out of her because the alarm had set off ringing. We looked at the clock and the alarm time wasn't set anywhere near the time it was. Anyway, my mum then told us that it was five years to the day that my great-grandma had passed away. Pretty creepy stuff.

Whether or not there is anything paranormal going on or we're just reading into stuff way too much, I don't know. But there's been lots of small instances between the family where things have happened that haven't seemed quite normal. I myself felt like I used to see children poking their heads down from our loft when I was a child, but I do admit that that could have been the over-active imagination of childhood at play. I would like to believe in this sort of stuff, because I find it interesting and reassuring but... I just don't know if I can without some form of concrete proof.
Five years to the day? Really? I'm assuming your sister had no idea...That's freaky. Probably the coolest thing I've read in this thread yet.

Top Bottom