• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Has the Resident Evil series always been 'mainstream'?

wolfgirl

Almost a Jibble Sammich
So I'm reading the Resident Evil series as transmedia for my third year grad dissertation. If you don't know what transmedia is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhGBfuyN5gg

One essay that interested me in researching my topic is Matt Hills' "Absent Epic, Implied Story Arcs, and Variation on a Narrative Theme: Doctor Who (2005-2008) as Cult/Mainstream Television". It talks about how the series has changed from a cult series to a mainstream one (although this is more extreme to Doctor Who than Resident Evil because of the time difference between the movie and the 2005 TV reboot, whereas Resident Evil has kept on going, but Resident Evil has completely redesigned itself since 2004's Resident Evil 4) and how there are 'old fans', 'new fans', those inbetween and their interactions with the series. Same with Resident Evil I think, since we have 'old fans' and 'new fans' and those inbetween.

Do you guys think that Resident Evil has always been mainstream though? Or has it become moreso in the last 10 years because of the rise of the Internet as a common household staple, and with its reboot of RE4 that seems to have lately become more actiony which is more mainstream these days?

On an interesting note: do you think the rise of the Resident Evil live-action film series prompted some influence in the change of the game series as a whole, by making the series seem more 'action-based'? The films are much more action than horror, and the films are huge in Japan. I know the films influenced the game in a minor way with the laser corridor, but I wonder if it influenced Resident Evil 4 in a much broader aspect?

Mr.Burton

REN's #1 Barry fan
I remember when the original game came out for playstation back in the day not alot of ppl was playing it. I think Resident Evil got mainstream when the 2nd game came out, thats the one that really made it popular. I do think Internet has alot alot alot to do with Resident Evil getting popular, back in the day you had to find out what was new through gaming mags (game pro is what I used to sub to). I also think though that Internet has hurt the game series aswell, ppl learn all about the games and read up about the storylines and walkthroughs.. then when they play they already know what is going to happen and are bored. Internet has taken away from the gaming experience, thats why I try to stay away from walkthroughs and spoilers. The films I think may have affected the games.. 4 and 5, like you said more action and less horror pretty much.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
I agree with Mr. Burton...While 1 WAS a hit...It was really just setting up for the survivor horror genre...RE2 really stole the show though, and took the groundwork of RE1, a new type of game, and made it enjoyable to gamers all around...So RE2 was really where it broke into the mainstreme...Plus, the graphics, voiceacting, and story were all uped for the sequal...In all honesty, until REmake, the first couldn't hold a torch to its sequel...But, you were on to something with RE4...I think RE4 is what made it more than mainstreme...RE4 is what made it the Beatles of the gaming industry...I mean..RE4 won SO many awards it was ungodly, and it REALLY launched RE into a place it had never been before, even though it was already REally(Get it) huge pretty much since the second one. So, mainstreme, since RE2, but ALL TIME most popular moment...RE4, definitely...

Top Bottom