• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Games getting boring?

wolf trail

unleash the Evil within you!
Hi everyone,
I think that in general nowadays games have lost their quality, and I still enjoy older games...
the more technology the better the graphics the worse the game becomes, don't get me wrong I love HD games but hey people loved the characters in the past even sometime to the point of idolizing them and trying to look like them, be them if possible etc, but today characters and games are getting boring and i don't know the exact reason...
but I think that the fact that games are getting so much action oriented has something to do with it.
and finally INTERNET!
the worst thing in the world when it comes to playing mind demanding games, can't solve that puzzle? look it up on the internet!.

just wanna know what do you guys think, is Game industry going to stay like this?
how do you avoid using internet?

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Hi everyone,
I think that in general nowadays games have lost their quality, and I still enjoy older games...
the more technology the better the graphics the worse the game becomes, don't get me wrong I love HD games but hey people loved the characters in the past even sometime to the point of idolizing them and trying to look like them, be them if possible etc, but today characters and games are getting boring and i don't know the exact reason...
but I think that the fact that games are getting so much action oriented has something to do with it.
and finally INTERNET!
the worst thing in the world when it comes to playing mind demanding games, can't solve that puzzle? look it up on the internet!.

just wanna know what do you guys think, is Game industry going to stay like this?
how do you avoid using internet?
I couldn't agree more with everything you said. I think that the almost MANDATORY co-op in games nowdays is sickening. That the characters aren't as endearing. And that graphics aren't what make a game. I mean, I have maybe 10 PS3 games to my collection. Most of them aren't even PS3 originals...It's stuff like the Jak and Daxter Collection, Sonic Generations, and the Doom BFG Collection. It's sad how...unoriginal? I would guess that's the best word. It's sad how unoriginal games are nowadays. Of course, there are always notable exceptions!

wolf trail

I couldn't agree more with everything you said. I think that the almost MANDATORY co-op in games nowdays is sickening. That the characters aren't as endearing. And that graphics aren't what make a game. I mean, I have maybe 10 PS3 games to my collection. Most of them aren't even PS3 originals...It's stuff like the Jak and Daxter Collection, Sonic Generations, and the Doom BFG Collection. It's sad how...unoriginal? I would guess that's the best word. It's sad how unoriginal games are nowadays. Of course, there are always notable exceptions!
yeah game industry in general is going downhill to the point of mindless shooting... :(
but your right there are still good modern games, i really loved the new tomb raider for example.
i never owned any Nintendo console but judging by what i found out, i think Nintendo is the company that still respects originality in games and don't mess up with their titles for money(i am not sure about this though cz i was never a fan of Nintendo).

and how character look nowadays kinda annoys me for example i loved how leon looked in RE4 but in 6 they tried to make him extra realistic but it was not the leon i new and loved.... the same thing for clair in RErev2.

and yeah that CO-OP was mainly a feature for call of duty players not resident evil old fans.

Jen

Girly Gamer
Premium Elite
Premium
I have mixed views on games at the minute. I've enjoyed everything I've played lately, but I do wonder if at times games have been dumbed down or if I've just got smarter as I've got older. I rarely play games in co-op, and I don't mind having a partner system in some games. It depends on the game, I guess, because if it's a scary game then I would prefer to be alone to increase tension.

However, with regards to the internet thing, if I don't want to know the solution to something and I want to work it out, I just don't look it up. I'm one of those people who find it far more satisfying to figure things out for myself.

wolf trail

I have mixed views on games at the minute. I've enjoyed everything I've played lately, but I do wonder if at times games have been dumbed down or if I've just got smarter as I've got older. I rarely play games in co-op, and I don't mind having a partner system in some games. It depends on the game, I guess, because if it's a scary game then I would prefer to be alone to increase tension.

However, with regards to the internet thing, if I don't want to know the solution to something and I want to work it out, I just don't look it up. I'm one of those people who find it far more satisfying to figure things out for myself.
I agree with whatever you said but it's just too hard to stop using the internet even harder than solving the puzzles themselves...
and you have a point we'r growing older and smarter (I suppose) that's why games does not feel the way they did back in the day...
for example Dino Crisis is one of my favorite game, but do you believe I never finished the hole game?
when i was a kid i kept fooling around trying to figure something out, played it for hours but never actually made any progress, and you know what this is exactly what i love about older games. :)

Jen

Girly Gamer
Premium Elite
Premium
I agree with whatever you said but it's just too hard to stop using the internet even harder than solving the puzzles themselves...
and you have a point we'r growing older and smarter (I suppose) that's why games does not feel the way they did back in the day...
for example Dino Crisis is one of my favorite game, but do you believe I never finished the hole game?
when i was a kid i kept fooling around trying to figure something out, played it for hours but never actually made any progress, and you know what this is exactly what i love about older games. :)
I can understand why people do use the internet. If they're enjoying a game and suddenly get to a point where they have absolutely no idea how to progress, and have tried literally everything that they can think of, the fun ends because they can't carry on. However, I do think it's lazy if people try for a minute and then just immediately go to the internet, but whatever works for them, I guess.

Haha, I was like that with Resident Evil games, I was too young to figure things out for myself, so I had to rely on my older siblings for help to progress. :p

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
I feel like games are just feeding on the shallow amusements of people and aren't really challenging anymore. It's pretty sad that technology has come so far in making games look better but as far as content and quality go, games have been dumbed down in an effort to make quick cash.

They don't have a replay value anymore and can be finished in a matter of hours; it stinks.

Venomous Oddball

Also Known as Maddy
My view on the gaming industry hasn't changed since I started playing, which was when I was four (though when the first RE came out I watched my dad even though I was like, 1 and I tried to play xD). I enjoy games now as much as I always have. Though I do think Call of Duty and Halo are getting too mainstream and aren't really as good of games anymore.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
yeah game industry in general is going downhill to the point of mindless shooting... :(
but your right there are still good modern games, i really loved the new tomb raider for example.
i never owned any Nintendo console but judging by what i found out, i think Nintendo is the company that still respects originality in games and don't mess up with their titles for money(i am not sure about this though cz i was never a fan of Nintendo).

and how character look nowadays kinda annoys me for example i loved how leon looked in RE4 but in 6 they tried to make him extra realistic but it was not the leon i new and loved.... the same thing for clair in RErev2.

and yeah that CO-OP was mainly a feature for call of duty players not resident evil old fans.
Nintendo is arguably the best company out there. They aren't doing what's popular to just make money. They are doing the same thing they've always done, and I love and respect that about them.

Turo602

The King of Kings
"Video games are meant to be just one thing. Fun. Fun for everyone."
~ Satoru Iwata
The biggest problem with the industry are people who believe video games can only be good or refreshing by being difficult, original, and innovative. Any game can be innovative or difficult and plenty of ideas have been original. That all means nothing unless the game is fun and well executed. No, I don't believe there's anything wrong with modern video games other than the shady business practices and careless development that has plagued the industry since the beginning of its existence. Though, I do agree that it's been quite the trend for modern gaming to hold the player's hand and offer the most cinematic experience. This is evident in games like Resident Evil 4, Splinter Cell: Conviction, and Tomb Raider. Earlier entries in each series has offered a more challenging and even rewarding experience for many gamers yet those three games are considered some of the best games in both gaming and their respective franchise.

As someone who has enjoyed many games of the last generation and continues to support Nintendo's amazing efforts, I can honestly say that modern video games haven't lost an ounce of quality. I'm sure we all have some sort of nostalgia for gaming and while that may never be replicated ever again, there's definitely amazing games out there for everyone even if some of our childhood franchises aren't exactly what they used to be.

Last edited:

wolf trail

Thanks for sharing your ideas guys,
I just wanted to find out your thinking on this.

I didn't mean to say modern games are that bad, i still play and enjoy them.

Maybe these days people don't have time for games that need hours to solve a puzzle, and enjoy games that are playable even when they are thinking about something else other than the game . and i respect it .

Well new generation needs new games(i never listen to the music my dad listens)...

Gar Bageman

The Spirit of Rock 'n' Roll
I have been steadily playing video games since 1987, and in that time games have always been a very mixed bag. As a matter of fact, I feel like games on the whole are actually a lot more solid now than they ever have been!

Top Bottom